[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Good, playable Japan exclusives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

With all the take about translations as of late, I think we should take the time and highlight those exclusives that we can actually enjoy.
Like this Goemon game. It's a straight platformer, no overworld map, so no Japanese needed. It's pretty pretty for a GBC game and fun. I can recommend it.
>>
I think a good deal of people here are, have learned or are learning Japanese.
>>
File: GoGoAckman343416_front.jpg (134KB, 500x903px) Image search: [Google]
GoGoAckman343416_front.jpg
134KB, 500x903px
Go Go Ackman 1, 2 and 3 on Super Famicom
>>
File: reviewc679-3.jpg (67KB, 420x315px) Image search: [Google]
reviewc679-3.jpg
67KB, 420x315px
Loopop Cube: Lup*Salad is a really good block pushing puzzle game. Sometimes I end up thinking about puzzles a lot while not playing and doing other stuff during the day. If you are already used to the genre, skip the first difficulty, it's a real snoozer.

Oh, and I guess this thread is for Japan exclusives you can enjoy without reading rather than fantranslated ones?
>>
>>2793764

i swear to god everything toriyama draws looks the same
>>
>>2794063
No shit you fucking moron.
>>
File: 36373_front.jpg (132KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
36373_front.jpg
132KB, 640x640px
Tryrush Deppy
Super Tempo
Willy Wombat

the Saturn has a lot of neat games
>>
File: Kinoko.png (22KB, 222x268px) Image search: [Google]
Kinoko.png
22KB, 222x268px
>>2794063

Nah
>>
File: toriyama_thumb.jpg (106KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
toriyama_thumb.jpg
106KB, 600x404px
>>2794778
based Dr Slump

turd jokes for days
>>
>>2794778
Why's Krillin wearing a wig?
>>
>>2794797

>clearly has a nose
>Krilin
>>
>>2794798
Well Chrono's hair is red, so he isn't Goku!
>>
File: Wonderisland.png (202KB, 900x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Wonderisland.png
202KB, 900x1400px
>>2794803

Chrono looks more like a red haired SSJ2 Gohan to me.

Anyway, hate on Toriyama all you want, but Go Go Ackman games are really good, especially the 3rd one.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ijnvDOXJQ
>>
File: Bluedragonballs.jpg (3MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Bluedragonballs.jpg
3MB, 2560x1600px
>>2794063
I think it's called "having an art style".
>>
>>2793684
if that's the case, then we should make a staircase to japanese, where we go from step 0 (games with very little or no JP like OP's) and keep going up in needs (kana recognition, basic vocab and grammar, intermediate knowledge/experience, advanced knowledge of grammar, start throwing kanji in there, etc)

That way people can have a pretty good path to follow for their learning. Maybe you start step 0 with action games, then step 1 is old portable games like the wonderswan library, and go up with things like Dragon Quest on DS (whose ports all have furigana).

I don't know JP (indeed, I am somewhere on step 1 I think) but I'm sure there are people on /vr/ who could contribute to something like this
>>
>>2797825
I'll sum up 5 years of /a/'s djt for you.
>my studying method >>> your studying method
>lol, what a faggot, he didn't learn kanji
>lol, what a faggot, he is learning individual kanji
>let's make fun of beginners and make everyone too scared to ask questions or make mistakes
>long winded argument about fuck nothing at all
>>
>>2796876
the most boring experience anyone can ever have
>>
>>2797839
I guess I messed up, I forgot to say that it was meant as a staircase of games, a pathway through the learning just as you might have different level schoolbooks.

The basic format would be:

>Game Info (Name, Company, System, Year)
>Brief summary
>Step it is on
>Why it is on that Step
>Special Notes

For the "why" part, I imagine a system could be built for identifying games as being easy or hard to play language-wise. Easy would typically be mostly kana or have furigana available, short, simple sentences, that sort of thing. Hard would be complex sentence structures, thorough kanji usage, and perhaps even beyond that special terms from academia, or the sciences, or law, that kind of specialized terminology. Special notes would be for things like a character with a really strange way of talking, or even a game that uses a hard-to-read font.

I know it doesn't come up much in VR territory, but it would be important also to point out if a game has voice acting without subtitles. I imagine a game like Kaze no Regret would be difficult for an inexperienced speaker, because as far as I know, that game is entirely voice-acted and has no subtitles.
>>
>>2798014
You can forget about furigana in retro games outside of Windows. The games that have them are exceedingly rare.
Text comprehension difficulty can in general be related to the genre:
1. Adventures/Digital Comics/Visual Novels. Gameplay is mostly composed of text and comprehending it is critical
2. RPGs. Lots of text, some of which is fluff and some of which is important.
3. Sports, strategy and tactic. Menus require some basic understanding but may be brute forced
4. Others nothing that can't be ignored or brute forced.
These overlap to some degree, e.g. some RPGSs are hard to understand and others are rather simple.

Kanji usage depends on the platform and medium.
Kana only games will typically be: Handheld games (resolution too small for practical Kanji), early cartridge games (storage too small for Kanji) and early computer games (no support for Kanji ROM) and games for very young children (who only learned kana).
Kana only doesn't really make it easier to read, you don't need to know Kanji but there's tons of homophones to consider and text structure also is also lacking in comparison.

Voice acting is normally restricted to CD games.
I was intending to make a database of PC-88 games including the language info but I keep procrastinating.
>>
>>2798060
I brought up furigana since I know that the Dragon Quest remakes on DS use them. Figure if it's a remake then it counts.

You are right about the homophones business, I forgot about that. Maybe it would be possible to cross-reference stuff from Japanese schoolbooks or other media used in education, and see if anything matches games? By that I mean see if there are correlations that could tell you 'This is a 3rd grader's game' Vs. 'This game is for high school students', to state it in a simplistic way.
>>
>>2798080
You could check the script to see if it only uses Kyôiku Kanzi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ky%C5%8Diku_kanji

But there's no particular reason to learn them the way Japanese children learn. Some are on a high grade since the meaning is hard and not the writing.
>>
>>2797581
I still like Toriyama's art, but you can have an art style without recycling design archetypes over again.
To name some examples...
Ackman has Trunks' hair, Luceus from DQ has Chrono's hair and face (Which, in turn is very similar to Goku's hairstyle) the Bulma archtype can be seen with multiple characters.

I think part of it is for marketing reasons, so people know "Oh, this is the Dragon Ball guy's work, I'll buy this" just by looking at it.

Again, I still fucking love his artwork. Especially his machinery and world design. But he definitely recycles hair and faces constantly. They're still good designs, just reused often.
>>
Samurai Kid for GBC is another good Japan exclusive for the system.
>>
>>2799903
They also made a Daiku no Gensan game that plays exactly the same. But that game actually has a translation, so no reason to bother with moon.

>>2799387
At times it definitely looks to similar, but I think Dr. Slump looks different. Did we actually ever get a game for that? I certainly love his artstyle and wish he had worked on more games.
>>
>>2801695

It seems there's onlt a few Dr. Slump games.
A few that hare handheld game and watch style games, one old game for an old japanese system called Arcadia 2001, and a PlayStation game from 1999 which seems to be the most interesting one of the /vr/ ones.

Then there's a non retro game for NIntendo DS, and that's it.
Weird that such a popular franchise (probably Toriyama's 2nd most popular work after Dragon Ball) hasn't got at least a Famicom or Super Famicom game.

There are Dr. Slump characters on crossover games like Famicom Jump, but no dedicated game.
>>
Super Bonk 2 is pretty sweet, even better than the first.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.