[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Earthworm Jim 3D so bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: gfs_42067_2_10.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_42067_2_10.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
Why was Earthworm Jim 3D so bad?
>>
Because the charm of the original didn't transfer to the still new 3d world. Everything was kind of ugly
>>
>>2793159
The charm of EJ didn't even transfer over to EJ2.
>>
File: earthwormjim3d_profilelarge.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
earthwormjim3d_profilelarge.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
I feel it was generally an okay game... except for the boss battles. If you ever want to see the definition of "artificial difficulty" encapsulated, look no further than EWJ3's pork boarding.
>>
>>2793185
You are a sad man.
>>
>>2793156
Not like EJ was that good to begin with really.
But it's the usual problem of 2D to 3D.
>>
>>2793156
It was a game from the peak age of 2d games, that they transferring over at the infancy of 3d technology. It was as charming as if they tried making the first game on a Commodore 64.

And I'm not sure if any of the original designers still worked on it either.
>>
As much as some want to prove otherwise, good 2D art has a charm that 3D can't quite captue.
>>
People in this thread are too obsessed with the graphical style and the "charm". The irony is that the game's graphics are actually pretty good for what they are (except of course for the horribly repetitive and dull environments). There's even a fair bit of real time lighting here and there.

Earthworm Jim 3D was bad purely because the developers were absolutely out of ideas. They didn't bother to even create new characters. It was all just recycle recycle recycle. A lot of the jokes were rehashed too. Laughing fridges into the air was a beaten to death gag.

That's really the problem with the only game. Take for instance, the first level. You literally go up a ramp with rolling down explosive grenade eggs like EIGHT TIMES (including backtracking).

In particular there was a lot of confusion from the developers about exactly what kind of style the game should have. The section where you throw a meat cleaver to decapitate cow soldiers doesn't feel like Earthworm Jim at all. It's not silly, it's just violent.
>>
EWJ 3D has 4 main hub worlds

1st one is evil farm animals. Creative enough.
2nd one is food planet with evil alien chefs. Cool, interesting setting.
3rd one is a generic haunted house. I was disappointed by this but dragged through it just to see what the 4th and final world was. It had to be good, it was the finale!
The 4th and final hub world was a generic ass wild west cowboy town. I played that for like five minutes and shut the game off, and never played it again.
>>
>>2793218
I hate to say it but he's kinda right
It was easier and the lack of Tommy Tallerico forced them to use a bunch of public domain music. Still a fun game on it's own but nothing compared to 1. Though I played the PC EWJ1 and the SNES version of EWJ2, so my opinion is a bit skewed compared to normal people who grew up with the games. I had a listen to the PSX soundtrack and it's rather rockin'.
>>
I always thought it was okay. I recall it got pretty okay reviews back in the day too, why did people suddenly turn against it? Did some faggot YouTuber make a video?
>>
>>2795095
it got shit reviews from Nintendo Power, and they were really nice to games in their reviews in the n64 days because Nintendo owned them
>>
>>2793156
Doug Tennapel and David Perry weren't involved

the people who were developing this game either didn't have a clear vision of what they wanted or were incompetent in a lot of areas, EWJ3D looked a helluva lot more interesting in it's early forms
>>
>>2795085
>It was easier and the lack of Tommy Tallerico forced them to use a bunch of public domain music.
What's wrong with Moonlight Sonata?

Night on Bald Mountain was also in the first game, you have no idea what you're even talking about
>>
>>2795095
Because the attitude of people to series that transitioned from 2D to 3D is all-or-nothing.

Either they come out being called the best games of all time or the worst games of all time.

The best possible example is Castlevania 64. Even though it got pretty decent reviews back in the day (like around 80% on average or something) people have been retrospectively shitting on it as if its equivalent to Superman 64.
>>
>>2795162
>The best possible example is Castlevania 64. Even though it got pretty decent reviews back in the day (like around 80% on average or something) people have been retrospectively shitting on it as if its equivalent to Superman 64.

That's because like >>2795095 said, an e-celeb shit on it and now it's the worst thing ever.
>>
>>2795164

Castlevania 64 is like a 6.5/10, but Legacy of Darkness is a real 8/10.
>>
I didn't even fucing realize there was an Earthworm Jim 3D.
>>
>>2795095
Pig Surfing level killed it. Rest of the game is just a collecthaton, except you're forced to collect everything, kind of a chore desu
>>
>>2795503
it is a terrible game that killed the franchise, these guys are just being contrarians
>>
>>2795162
I was playing through the Castlevania series last year. I did 64 after Symphony of the Night and it just killed it for me. Haven't been motivated to play Castlevaniasince. Worst game I've ever played/
>>
>>2795518
Well maybe if you weren't a memer millenarian with shit taste you'd stop parroting e-celebs opinions and just THINK for yourself for once in your pathetic pleb life.
>>
>>2795085
>It was easier and the lack of Tommy Tallerico forced them to use a bunch of public domain music.

You realize it's still a Tallarico soundtrack right? Besides the classical music (And Level Ate's theme, which was composed by his father), everything is still him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him playing the piano in the red book tracks of the Mozart songs.
>>
>>2793156

All early 3d games suck
>>
>>2795534
Soul Reaver
>>
>>2795560
block puzzles.
just kidding, sole river is alright.
>>
>>2793326
Fatty Roswell was a new character.

But on your note, they even got the voice cast from the EWJ cartoon, including Dan Castellaneta himself as the voice of Jim. That can only be a huge plus in anybody's book.
>>
File: 1445404620868.png (383KB, 469x340px) Image search: [Google]
1445404620868.png
383KB, 469x340px
>>2795528
I've never even seen a video on it. I don't watch eceleb shit.

It had shit gameplay, bad level design with a lot of backtracking and almost no enemies. It lacks a soundtrack and the music there is is boring and not-fitting, the boss battles are badly designed and are mostly just health sponges, the day and night cycle is pointless and annoying, the platforming is the worst I've ever seen, the story is predictable and boring, and to top it off it's one of the ugliest games by a major develop on the N64.
I don't know if Legacy of Darkenss fixed any of that, haven't played it.
>>
>>2795136
Bald Mountain was the only one, and it was mixed in with (i think) original elevator music. I have no problem with the public domain stuff used in 2 but it really didn't have the same feel as Tommy's OST in the first game. And again, I did say I listened to the PSX soundtrack on youtube and it sounded great, but still not the same.
>>
>>2795532
no I didn't I assumed he wasn't on the EWJ2 team for whatever reason, I'll admit the non-pd songs are pretty bad-ass come to think of it. I'm going to have a look into this.
>>
>>2795658
castlevania should have never gone 3d, end of story.
The ones on ps2 almost got it right but sucked equally for different reasons and the only people I knew who liked Castlevania 64 were kids who liked Nintendo way too much because they refused to believe they wasted their money on a censorship box.
>>
>>2793156
To me, EWJ 1 and 2 had a more clever and surreal comedy while this one is just plain wacky.
>>
File: cv641405299541381.jpg (281KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cv641405299541381.jpg
281KB, 1600x1200px
>>2795767

they sure didn't bother censoring Castlevania 64 though
>>
It's the problem a lot of developers had in early 3-d games (some even had it in the early 2000s), they wanted to use 3-d to give a series a new chance to breath, but they just didn't had the experience to do it, which usually turned in a mess with no style at all like castlevania 64, bubsy 3D or that metal slug game (which is not retro but is worth mentioning).

Thank god the industry left behind that mentality of trying too hard to make everything seem modern and 2d high budget games get made again.
>>
>>2795658
>It lacks a soundtrack
I see somebody didn't get past the first two levels.
>>
>>2796452
for a 64 game I suppose a bleeding statue is uncensored. Are there any bosses with titties flapping around? Or never mind the blood, what about gore?
>>
>>2796618

Martin Gore? I don't think he's featured in any video game, but I'd play a game starring him desu
>>
>>2796618

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmT2Gr8o97A

this boss is kinda gorey, as you whip him, flesh will start chopping off his body with blood oozing until he's nothing but bones.

can't remember if there's any titties
>>
The sketches of the cartoonist didn't transfer well to 3D.
>>
>>2793156
Because the reason people loved Earthworm Jim so much was that it felt like you were playing a Saturday morning cartoon. Even with highly stylized 3D you still can't pull that off as well as amazingly animated 2D sprites.
>>
>>2795658
Don't bother these people are so insane they'll go so far as to defend ET if an e-celeb comments on it even though the game was getting shit on when said e-celeb was probably still a kid.
>>
>>2795560
>Soul Reaver
>early 3D
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.