[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily reminder that FF1 sucks - no matter the version - and that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: ff1 nes.jpg (94KB, 640x877px) Image search: [Google]
ff1 nes.jpg
94KB, 640x877px
Daily reminder that FF1 sucks - no matter the version - and that saying "it's a classic" doesn't mean shit. You are a shit person misleading people if you recommend this trash.

>Play Final Fantasy on the NES
>"Oh, this sucks"
>Read about the remakes
>Play the FF1 remake on GBA
>"Oh this still sucks"
>People say to try the PSP remake
>Try it
>"Oh this is the exact same fucking trash as the GBA version."

/v/ has the worst taste imaginable if they think the PSP version is some marked improvement over the GBA/NES versions. Recommending a bad Final Fantasy game is retarded, especially when there are quality SNES JRPGs that one could be playing like Bahamut Lagoon or Glory of Heracles 3. There are just so many good JRPGs somebody could be playing instead of playing a bad one like FF1.

But you know what's stupid about people that defend Final Fantasy 1? They're also the same kind of people that would shit on Final Fantasy Mystic Quest for its insultingly simplistic design and plot.
>>
File: 1303138431090.jpg (77KB, 314x360px) Image search: [Google]
1303138431090.jpg
77KB, 314x360px
What a great thread >>>/trash/
>>
File: motherfucking dion.jpg (41KB, 370x555px) Image search: [Google]
motherfucking dion.jpg
41KB, 370x555px
I like the Gameboy games

Which is the one where the world flooded? Legend 3? Yeah man, that's the good stuff
>>
Well, what can I say, OP? In some ways I agree with you. Anyone who recommends Final Fantasy I on its own merit is indeed fooling themselves. It's like the first Legend of Zelda; you should play it all the way through at least once for historical reasons, and at the end if it didn't do a thing for you don't ever touch it again.

One thing that did rub me wrong a bit is that you act like it never _was_ any good- this is largely incorrect and you should do some research into just what your other options were back then to see what people of the time ever saw in this quaint JRPG.
>>
>>2790846
FF1 was only good state side when you had nothing to compare it to.

Enix had TWO Dragon Quest games out in Japan before FF1 was even released.
>>
>>2790829
PSP and GBA version do suck. PSX version is good.

And so is the NES version
>>
>>2790853

That's still only two other RPGs to play other than Final Fantasy in the land where the vidya was king. I'm sure some of those candy-fingered little shits could've aced both Dragon Quest's in a little more than a year; then what do you play?
>>
>>2790829
>this copy pasta again
/v/ has come to
>>
>>2790829
Sure, it's incredibly dated, completely linear, and quite frankly, boring. The GBA and PSP version added some extra dungeons (the PSP version having a few more) for some more playability, but you can't fix a game that is ultimately flat and plain.

I think it's better to judge the game by thinking about how people reacted to FF1 when it came out. Dragon Quest was favoured better in Japan, and Final Fantasy was favoured better in the west. Why? idk, people just liked it more.

Play FF1 for historical reasons, and appreciate how innovative and new something like that was back then, but don't play it expecting that it's gonna blow your mind.

I wouldn't say it's a great game, it's not even good, but it's definitely an important game.

>>2790846
This guy get's it.
>>
>>2790887
On the Famicom you also had Megaten 1, Herakles no Eikou 1, Wizardry 1 and Hydlide Special in 1987.
>>
File: ff1.png (13KB, 256x672px) Image search: [Google]
ff1.png
13KB, 256x672px
I'm having fun. Sure, the game is a minefield of broken shit, but the challenge is solid and I never had to grind, not even to get two silver swords in Elfland. The tight inventory limit of the original game really makes you think about what gear you use, unlike any of the remakes that just give you unlimited space to carry all the spellcasting items in the game while also wearing all the statistically best stuff. I've found that not many other JRPGs really offer quite the same experience. No bullshit melodramatic story, no dumb characters to pretend to give a shit about, just four dudes traveling around the world and beating the shit out of everything in their way. It's a good experience, primitive as it is.
>>
>>2790846
>you should do some research into just what your other options were back then to see what people of the time ever saw in this quaint JRPG.
True, but both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest were casual as shit when they first came out in Japan, that's why they were such a huge hit. You're making it out to be like they were way ahead of its predecessors when they were just way easier to get into.
>>
>>2790829
>look ma I posted it again
>>
ff1 is a product of its time.

personally I liked choosing a party and finding different ways of balancing their pros and cons. (fi/rm/bb/wm ftw) the atmosphere is pretty good too.

other than that it's a straightforward RPG with limitations, bugs, and flaws. you should at least try it out.

if you want a very standard RPG experience that's better, ff4 is it.
>>
>replying to this low tier /v/ pasta

This
>>2791745
>>
I know OP's trolling, but I have always said that FF1 and Dragon Quest 1 are both quintessential examples of games which have aged extremely poorly.
>>
>>2790829
Calm down, anon
>>
The best thing about FF1 is that its short.
>>
File: 1397810983268.png (151KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1397810983268.png
151KB, 480x360px
>>2790829

hey fuck you final fantasy mystic quest is my favorite final fantasy you faggot
>>
Yeah, it's not a very fun game and that battle system.. Final Fantasy III is where it's at.
>>
FF1 doesn't have a lot of appeal nowadays, but it was an important game.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone looking to get into RPGs.

It's a history lesson. You have to look at it in the context of what was around it at the time.
>>
>>2790829
inb4 300 replies because people can't resist fresh bait.

/vr/ could've been better, even if it was next to /v/.
>>
>>2791678
>and I never had to grind, not even to get two silver swords in Elfland

Well this is bullshit unless you waited until after using the TNT to buy one, let alone two. Who else but the fighter can even use the second? Not the thief. Red mage?
>>
>>2790829
Viral marketing made the game popular. Like Flappy Bird, a game doesn't need to be actually good or innovative to get mass appeal.
>>
>>2793880
>>2793924
Nice try OP.
>>
Does FF actually have a coherent story or what?

I kind of want to play it but I've no idea whether to just start at one and move along, or start elsewhere.
>>
>>2794885
FF games are all in their own standalone world, with the only exceptions being IV and XIII's sequels at this point.

You can really start with whatever looks good to you but the SNES titles, I, and VII are usually the recommended best places to start.
>>
>>2790853
>DQ1
>better than FF1
Really?
>>
>>2794889
Oh, also VII and X have sequel games. Hardly worth mentioning but I forgot them.
>>
I don't even like FF1 but threads like this need to go away. Why is /v/ coming here?
>>
>>2793880
>>2793930

Oh, for fucks sake.

Anyway, I looked it up. Yeah, the RM can use a silver sword. I'm a BB guy myself, and never cared for either the thief or RM. But the fact that the RM can use one makes him quite a bit better than the thief early on, at least.

Being an autist, I typically grind pirates and saghins asap for the SS since the weapon will last a fighter until just before class change. Fuck going for two.
>>
>>2790829
FF1 NES is decent, but buggy.
FF1 GBA is less buggy, but the balance was sodomized.
FF1 PSX has load times.

Is the Wonderswan color version of FF1 the definitive edition?

>>2790839
Those are actually SaGa games, they're FF games in name only.
>>
File: giphy-12.gif (299KB, 300x205px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-12.gif
299KB, 300x205px
>>2790829
>FF1 sucks.
>He never played the superior MSX port
>>
>>2790846
Except LoZ ages much better. In my opinion almost every minute was enjoyable from beginning to end.
>>
>>2794893
DESU yes. FF 1 was a ripoff of DQ by a guy who was such a shitty director that he nearly brought the company he worked for to bankruptcy.
>>
>>2795041
>SaGa games

SaGa is better than FF
>>
>>2795070
The SaGa series is basically what Final Fantasy would've been had all the later games been designed around the experience points system from II.
>>
>>2795069

Idiocracy: the Post.
>>
>>2795062

Can't say I agree. Some of the graphics were so bad they actually gave me a headache.
>>
>>2795070

I don't think it's quite so clear-cut as that. The two fulfill entirely different gaming needs, in my opinion.
>>
>>2795069
...And then he saved the company from bankruptcy after FF?
>>
File: 1431301022065.jpg (45KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
1431301022065.jpg
45KB, 640x400px
>>2790829
I like both FF1 and MQ
>>
FF1 on NES has some serious problems that later ports fixed, but it was fine back then.
DQ1 is a classic that's still extremely playable.
Phantasy Star 1 blows both games out of the water.
>>
>>2793880
>>2795027
You just have to actually clear dungeons out instead of rushing through to the goal. Take each floor one at a time, retreat to recover and sell loot after finishing each one, then you charge in for your final push to get to the boss. The only place I wouldn't do this is the ice cave for obvious reasons.
>>
File: Ff2cover.jpg (55KB, 507x350px) Image search: [Google]
Ff2cover.jpg
55KB, 507x350px
Can we all agree that FF2 is underrated and the best one on the NES? It is hated exclusively by /v/ casuals because it is the hardest in the series.
>>
>>2797705
>hardest
>A mid-game weapon two-shots literally anything with a pulse + final boss
FUCKING LLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL
>>
File: Oh look. It's THIS thread again.jpg (62KB, 460x500px) Image search: [Google]
Oh look. It's THIS thread again.jpg
62KB, 460x500px
>>2790829
>see a shitty thread about FF1 versions on /v/
>"Oh, this sucks"
>keep seeing the exact same thread on /v/ every goddamn day
>"Oh this still sucks"
>see the exact same thread on /vr/
>Try it
>"Oh this is the exact same fucking trash as the /v/ version."

http://arch.b4k.co/v/search/filename/ff1%20nes.jpg/
OP has the worst case of autism imaginable.
>>
>>2794885
Some of them do share worlds.
Most don't.

Its actually one of the charms of the series.
>>
>>2790829
I absolutely adore FF1. It's the RPG I've replayed the most over the years. Also it's music is the best in the series.
>>
>>2797808
>http://arch.b4k.co/v/search/filename/ff1%20nes.jpg/
This, op stop being autistic.
>>
>>2797702
But I can both clear the dungeon and beat the boss in every instance but the one you listed (the ice cave) any damned way. Also, there are only two dungeons before you get access to the ship and therefore Elfland and the SS, and neither have much of anything in the way of loot.

I get your way of doing it, but your constant retreating to sell off loot for the two dungeons after you already have access to Elfland takes just as much time as me just spending a couple of hours grinding on the high seas and then curb-stomping through those wizards and the dark elf with a fighter equipped with an SS and a BB who no longer relies on weapons at all.

No rush, just pure autismo.
>>
>>2792040
He said it's good despite those defects, anon
>>
>>2797705
FF2 is in no way the most difficult game in the series because the game's mechanics are laughably exploitable.
>>
>>2797705
Ff3 famicom is the hardest. It's better than bof1
>>
>>2798450
Some people here are going to call you a scrub for exploiting game mechanics.
>>
FF4 was my first FF game and I love it. I played FF1-FF3 first time only just in recent years. But I think they have the same kind of charm to them. Sure they don't really have too much content even in the remakes but I think they do a good job with what little story and content they have.
>>
File: FF3NES-Hein.gif (3KB, 100x194px) Image search: [Google]
FF3NES-Hein.gif
3KB, 100x194px
I think that the entire famicom trilogy is pretty dull. The boss battles in particular are awful. The only boss worth a shit in third gen FF is Hein.

4 was a step forward and 5 is the pinnacle of the series. All downhill after that.
>>
>>2799323
4 was a step BACKWARDS in my opinion.
1 was an okay RPG that holds up due to its short length, 2 was an ambitious departure that wasn't all there, and 3 was the series finally getting its legs and building itself into something that could hold its own despite its faults. V was the logical progression of the ideas set up in 3, but 4 was this weird outlier that looked cool at the time but did a lot of shit wrong.

The bosses were more memorable and the attempt at developing the now-present cast were admirable, but Phantasy Star 1 did something similar (and better) with a script that was like 10x shorter three years beforehand and some RPGs that were already in development and came out some months later had similarly large scripts without making their games super fucking easy and bafflingly guided. 4 did a whole mess of shit wrong and, because of its popularity, a bunch of other RPGs followed suit. 6 follows a similar train of thought, but actually does a better job because it's actually kinda thought out instead of strung together on super melodrama (instead settling for regular melodrama and world building). It kinda fucked up some of the stuff from V, but at least it managed to pull itself together better than 4.

What I'm basically saying is 1 and 2 are forgivable, 3's got some problems but felt like it was finally getting somewhere, V is a fun ass game that's about on par with the better Dragon Quests, 6 tried some cool shit and I can respect its fuckups because of that, but 4 was the precursor to story over gameplay and led to the series' problems on PS1 and complete clusterfuckery by the PS2 days.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.