[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metroid General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 12

File: metroid_1446804051311.gif (61KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_1446804051311.gif
61KB, 500x446px
Let's have a Metroid thread.

Started playing Super Metroid and got hard nostalgia tears. That game aged like a good whiskey. Celebrate with me.

- What's your favorite Metroid game?
- What's your favorite ROM hack?
>>
>>2789196
>That game aged like a good whiskey
How does that make any sense? It's no better or worse then back then. Nothing changed. Either it was good to beginn with or not. Some maybe made mistakes that were acceptable back then, but now, so they look bad from today's standards, but shit certainly didn't get better with years.
>>
>>2789215
not really, metroid 1 feels aged like your saggy momma's tits
>>
>>2789225

I'll never understand why people defend this game so arduously, you don't hear Street Fighter fans do the same for the original, and both are equally terrible starters to their respective series despite their innovations.
>>
>>2789251
>Super Metroid is terrible

ok
>>
Question about Metroid II. I've heard that there are some systems that give it color. What's the best system to play it on?
>>
>>2789283
reread the post you're quoting newfriend.

super metroid is my favorite game. it has been since i first got it for my birthday a week or two after it came out. i was seven years old and it was the perfect time to get lost in a creepy underground system of WHERE THE FUCK DO I GO?

had i played it, for the first time, now... it would still be great. probably not my favorite game but still fantastic.
that's how I PERSONALLY consider a game 'aging'

it's all about the age you do something. i watched evangelion when i was 13 and fucking loved it, i fell in love with it and anime because i was a 13 year old boy. it was the best time to watch that shit.

if i watched it now without ever seeing it, i'd hate it.
nostalgia folks, it's a fickle beast.
>>
File: Metroid Red.jpg (141KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid Red.jpg
141KB, 1920x1080px
>>2789287
well, if you play the original cart on a gbc you can choose your palette with button combinations.

there's a rom hack that gives it decent coloring for use on flashcarts/emulators.

after you play it, check out AM2R (another metroid 2 remake), last i checked they were like 60% done and had a decent demo out.
>>
File: metroid.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
metroid.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>2789297
couple more wallpapers
>>
File: 1427293134907.png (37KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1427293134907.png
37KB, 1920x1200px
>>2789304
>>
File: 1367055067804.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1367055067804.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>2789306
>>
>>2789306
yo that research lab has really high ceilings
>>
File: metroid_1446804038647.jpg (184KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_1446804038647.jpg
184KB, 1080x810px
http://metroidconstruction.com/
Very nice site for ROM hacks etc.
>>
File: 1427267497512.png (36KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1427267497512.png
36KB, 1920x1200px
>>2789346
my bad
>>
>>2789424
yo that research lab has really low ceilings
>>
>>2789453
WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?!
>>
File: metroid_1447163228058.jpg (775KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
metroid_1447163228058.jpg
775KB, 3840x2160px
Bump, yo where are the rom hackers.
>>
File: 1420148412342.jpg (64KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1420148412342.jpg
64KB, 600x600px
>>2789489
>START 1
>>
>>2789196
>What's your favorite Metroid game?
If we're specifically talking about /vr/ Metroids, Super Metroid. Easily one of the best games I've ever played, and while I do like Metroid 1 and 2 it's with Super where the series really found it footing and defined the Metroidvania genre.

If we're being general, probably Echoes or Corruption. The appeal of Metroid to me has always been its sense of discovery, the crazy equipment you collect and the alien worlds you explore, and holy shit do those games provide in all those categories.

I definitely understand the criticism they get since they're not as tight as Prime or Super from a gameplay standpoint and kind of drift away from the typical formula, but I thought they worked well within the context of their worlds. Echoes' weirder mechanics like health draining, constant barriers and ammo management helped lend to the harsh and oppressive atmosphere of Aether, and Corruption's planet hopping let them do far more interesting shit with the settings than a single planet like Zebes could have ever allowed for and gave the game an epic scope.

>What's your favorite ROM hack?
I haven't really played that much besides Redesign, which I wasn't a fan of.
AM2R is technically a game maker game but that's looking incredible and is worth a mention.
>>
I like the first three games Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, & Super Metroid.
Metroid & Super Metroid are my favorite, especially Super Metroid.
>>
the first 3 metroid games were really fucking weird and i miss that

fusion was still weird but zero mission and other m lost something
>>
File: charge_beam_by_gavade.png (1MB, 1012x783px) Image search: [Google]
charge_beam_by_gavade.png
1MB, 1012x783px
i play in my youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-uMeTd87s
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7p_6dnoSBM

really high quality video on this playthrough.
>>
>>2789291
>it's all about the age you do something.

No it isn't. Objectively good is objectively good whether you first experience it when you're 13 or 37.
>>
>>2789225
>metroid 1 feels aged like your saggy momma's tits

If you're a casual, then sure. Metroid is still immensely satisfying to play to this day. I find it more satisfying to play than Super Metroid, since it at least lets me get lost and demands I possess skill.
>>
>>2790301
>Objectively good
No such thing.
>>
labzero/v/19795723

Skullgirls designer MikeZ talks about how Super Metroid guides the player. He also apparently discovered the Mach Ball trick?

http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/mikez.php
>>
File: metroid32.jpg (10KB, 200x185px) Image search: [Google]
metroid32.jpg
10KB, 200x185px
>>
>What's your favorite Metroid game?
Metroid II

>What's your favorite ROM hack?
Never beaten any of them, but I liked what I saw of Super Zero Mission

I honestly don't like the physics of SM, I'd much rather play hacks of ZM or Fusion, if they existed
>>
Are there any scary/creepy Super ROMhacks?

I've played Darkholm Hospital and I liked the subtle creepiness of it, but I'd like to see something more sci-fi horror
>>
>>2790397
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-x7j5RyGc

Prepare to shit your pants.
>>
>>2790405
Meh, this video is so over-posted that I'm not even hype anymore
>>
Got a question

It's no surprise that the metroid series lost part of its "full and free exploration" feeling due to the inevitable casualization of the market- the first metroid was the thoughest on this side, but considering its NES era, it was understandable for its time, though it aged pretty bad for me.

Metroid 2 was more or less the same, but with a much more streamlined path, which I consider it to be in part due to the game bot technical limitation, so whatevs.

Super Metroid is where they nailed it: you are never told where to go next, and the game 100% trust you that you'll be able to realize where its best to be heading. Conscious of this, the developers made the game rather unpredictable at times, so that you're never to fully trust the feeling that "this is probably what I'm supposed to do because the game design would make sense". Also the map was added, to reduce frustation.

Metroid Prime trust you well enough, but at the same time if you wander around too much the game will just tell you "anomaly here" and mark you the new destination. This gives a wibe of distrust from the game to the player that I really hate. I still excuse Prime for this, though.

Zero Mission is where I think it was the most insulting: the game just straight up tell you "go there", with no mercy or logical reason. It was an awful misunderstanding of what made the first Metroid so interesting, that Super Metroid knew better than its remake.

1/2
>>
Metroid Fusion is a different approach to Metroid, in my opinion. As far as gameplay goes, its great, but to me it was rather intentional to just leave out most of the exploration (leaving only secrets scattered around) and focus on a new kind of atmosphere, which is way more cliché than the "you just arrived on an alien planet, you know nothing and everything wants to kill you" one of the previous games, but good nevertheless.Thus I think that the way Fusion just points you to go all the time is okay.

I have yet to try Prime 2 and 3, as well as Other M. I expect the two Primes to be more or less
like the first one, and Other M to be simply different, so I think I might have already a good picture of how the series was dumbed down (which is a strong word to use in
this context, but I think it's appropritate) and stripped of its more hardcore and brilliant free approach to exploration gradually over the time.

Sorry for the long post, but I could go on forever analyzing this shit. The point of my question is - am I right? Is this the flow that the Metroid series went through? For example, I can't tell for sure if Super Metroid is really THIS hardcore in terms of not giving the player actual hints about where to go (aside from subtle things and resorting on the fact that the player will have a good enough memory). I'm also not talking about the many ways that the game allows the players to sequence break, use pro techniques to speed through things and such.

2/2
>>
>>2790584
>Metroid Prime trust you well enough, but at the same time if you wander around too much the game will just tell you "anomaly here" and mark you the new destination.
I'm pretty sure you can turn the hints off.
>>
>>2790374
since we're on this subject, I'll also point out this speedrun of Prime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_yaHHofJIo

David Kirsch, programmer on the game, gives some production infos during the whole run here and there
>>
>>2790593
Seems so, I missed that from the option screen.
Well, making it optional and leaving it on as default is exactly how I'd approached the situation, even though it still shows that they are trying to cater to a wider audience.
>>
File: 23589253098.jpg (116KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
23589253098.jpg
116KB, 800x800px
>>2789496
>>2790584
>>2790593
>>2790594
>>2790617
>PRIME!!!
take it to generals it's not even the same style as the original 3, where fusion can squeak by. talk about your halo clone else where.
>>
>>2790673
Never thought I'd see someone calling Prime a halo clone past 2000.
>>
>>2790584
This guy knows what's going on. Super Metroids feel of being lost is the torture that gave the player also a bit the freedom, feel of reality.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.