[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk a bit about this game? I recently bought the 2000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: avp2000.jpg (31KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
avp2000.jpg
31KB, 460x215px
Can we talk a bit about this game? I recently bought the 2000 classic version on steam and have been having a ball in both singleplayer and multiplayer with some friends. How does this not get much love nowadays?

>excellent lighting system for 1999
>decent models and textures for 1999
>fast as fuck gameplay
>3 species that play totally different
>level design built around this
>destroying lights in multiplayer actually made it feel like it had benefits for aliens/predators
>with advanced speed tricks, the alien can effectively be twice as fast as doom guy
>stressful single player with marine

I'd rather play this game than half life any day! Seriously. I can't believe how much better it is than avp2
>>
Imho it still is the scariest shit ever to come out.
And the atmosphere of the game is 10/10.

Still, the gameplay is unpolished and bugs are disgusting. Wanna take that trophy? too bad, body fell into textures. Also fuck the pred energy recovery system. AvP2 made it better.
>>
The level "design" is utterly abysmal. It's copypasted rooms over copypasted rooms, with the same respawning aliens over and over. Once you get over the whole "oh, aliens everywhere, better say the same old movie quotes over and over", it's not that good. The sequel it's much better in that regard.
>>
>>2789003
casual spotted.
>copypasted rooms over copypasted rooms
So so wrong.
>>
>>2789021
OK then, Mr.Hardcore gamer. Do tell me how you should orientate in what boils down to tunnels followed by rooms followed by rooms with switches, with no trace of meaningful enemy encounter but aliens spawning all around you all the fucking time, which takes nothing more than taking a look to the radar to prevent. Not to mention it's six levels per character, levels that rarely take more than half an hour This shit is worse than modern "horror" games.
>>
>>2789028
read the radio message.
>>
File: AlienTemple.jpg (3MB, 3828x2072px) Image search: [Google]
AlienTemple.jpg
3MB, 3828x2072px
>>2788940
I really liked AVP gold growing up. It was a lot of fun and terrifying.
It will never be as good as AVP2. I used to play that game so much.
I was a manual disk predator god. Really good with wristblades too.
The way the alien crawled in this game and avp2 is the best fucking shit ever. The way you move is just perfect. I wish other games copied this. All of the other games or any games ever fps really have never even come close to the smoothness of running around and leaping as an alien like youre the motherfucking spiderman.

I did a 4K video walkthrough of it on nightmare wristblades only etc about a year ago
(pic is a screenshot from the game with the texture mods below)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQxASd77eZNU5joGFV4DSQ6LADw_mT5Bf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwEQuv_IQyo

The immensely beautiful retexture mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux

The player profile completion saves so you can quickstart each level if you have crashing problems. (try turning the ingame videos off if you do)
http://www.moddb.com/mods/aliens-versus-predator-classic-redux/downloads/complete-profile

If you want to see some of the gameplay from avp2, I have a few videos that I salvaged and reuploaded a couple years back from like 2006 or so when I was like 14 when I used to record games with a camera between my legs, so forgive the quality.

AVP2 - Alien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veE4jS7RDLA

AVP2 - Predator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9bYL_EBK_o

AVP2 - Marine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCk4I99H4AY

>>2789021
But a lot of the levels are the levels from other species just in reverse anon
>>
>>2789053
Those are BONUS rooms, anon!
>>
I'm going to agree with anons who said AVP2 is better.
>>
>>2789464
I'd have to disagree there, m8. AVP2 was ungodly slow compared to avp and the alien was nerfed pretty hard. Plus, the guns had MUCH less oomph when hitting an enemy. Enemies in avp2 just kinda fall down, instead of sliding after getting shot and gibs going around.
>>
File: transparent feel.png (55KB, 501x600px) Image search: [Google]
transparent feel.png
55KB, 501x600px
>play the AVP (2010)
>it's just not as good as AVP1 and AVP2

AVP gold was the scariest shit I had ever seen on my computer screen. I could barely made it through the first level as a marine because I was seriously shaking and panting as I walked through those cold dark corridors. Even the levels where you play as xenomorph were scary as shit, and you're the creature the npc's are supposed to be scared of!

AVP2 is the best. It's not as scary as the first one (or maybe it felt less scary because I played it when I was bit older), but it completely nailed the atmosphere and action. The marine episode was the shit, absolutely badass tier. Especially that part at the end where you run away from that massive swarm of xenos and jump in that shuttle.
>>
>>2788940
this game has the best flamethrower because your character moves faster than the flame particles so you always end up setting yourself on fire
>>
This game is just pure gold. Love how the species are different. Wanna go stealth? Alien. Wanna go classic fps? Predator. Wanna go horror? Marine.

Way smoother gameplay than AvP2. The alien is also so slow as to be nearly useless in multiplayer, while the most predators are really hard to take down. Even as a kid I did OK as predator, did a little worse as marine. But alien? Got my ass handed to me errrry time. Not so in AvP. Lots of dark places, lightening fast, good maneuverability made for a light learning curve for tactics. Marines could actually shoot predators with standard issue guns.
With the predator, you actually had to play the game and plan a little, not just wander around using one-shot-to-kill weapons like an invisible tank.

Single player with the Predator was epic in AvP2 tho. You really felt like a dangerous mother fucker.

Did I mention I love AvP?
>>
When I was a teen, I enjoyed the game, but I couldn't play more than a few levels... because of the facehuggers. Shit always scared me so much that I flinched and hastily exited the game.

I fucking hate when some scary shit suddenly attaches to my face ;_;
Just look Blood 2, can't play this strange game because of the eel-like monster that gives me heart attacks.

Am I a pussy? :(
>>
>Remember AVP2
>Remember it being one of my favorite FPS games
>Go to see if it's on Steam
>lol no
Life is unfair.
>>
>>2789606
>Am I a pussy? :(
yup
>>
The side-scroller was one of my fav arcade games
>>
>>2789003
Man, what an awful opinion. AVP2 had more variety in the environments, but it also very railroaded and scripted in modern "cinematic" fashion. And I never felt like AVP had copypasted rooms.

AVP does a much better job of keeping you on your toes and feeling like everywhere is dark and dangerous (plus the flares are WAY cooler than the lighting in AVP2). They are both good games but it sounds like you got lost and are whining about it. That's on you.
>>
>>2789585
>that part at the end where there's the most bizarre and stupidly placed sniper rifle in videogame history
FTFY

AVP2 was cool but that game had some fucking weird choices
>>
>>2789591
>>2789529
avp1 flamethrower is completely useless unless you want the aliens to hit you AND set you on fire

i prefer the first game but that's something that was a definite improvement in 2, the flamethrower fucks xenos up like it should
>>
>>2789650
We can only hope Retroism gets their hands on that and some other classics like No One Lives Forever and Soldier of Fortune etc. games not available anywhere legally anymore.
>>
File: Picture32.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Picture32.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
AvP was the reason I got a computer as a teenager. Anyone else play on Mplayer? I religiously played for years, until Gamespy bought it out.

They regularly had king of the hill tournaments and the community was really nice.
>>
>>2789591
What are you even talking about, it's one of the worst ever: so pitifully ranged it can't even outrange a facehugger hop, deals so little damage it can barely kill them, and if you use it against an actual alien they get pissy and they run at you on fire, dealing fire damage just for being close at you while clawing your face. In fact every weapon that's not called Pulse rifle or Smart gun is outright worthless.
>>
>>2789042
Radio messages don't tell you about wooden planks in the dark keeping a metal bridge hidden in the ceiling.
>>
>>2790861
>minigun
>grenade launcher
>SADAR
>useless

I shiggy diggy

Granted, the flamethrower was useless for non-online play. The predator pistol is fucking useless.
>>
>>2790869
actually, they do.
Second level, marine campaign, last mission.
>>
I played the shit out of AvP2 back in the day. Even the multiplayer was baller. You guys think this is worth the $5 Steam is asking for? I'm willing to pay if it's as good as you say, but I made the mistake of playing Fallout 2 before Fallout 1, and I ended up missing all the new features found in the sequel. I don't want the same thing to happen here.

>>2789606
Nah dude fuck Facehuggers and whoever came up with them.
>>
>>2791594
It plays a lot differently than avp2. go for it. I'll probably host a server for deathmatch soonish.
>>
File: IMG_6587.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6587.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
JAGUAR
>>
the first game had better physics. character models, projectiles, explosions, etc. all had weight, and it was satisfying to see xenos' bodies go skidding along the ground after you shot them dead mid-pounce.

AvP2 by contrast would have the corpse of an alien killed mid-pounce just teleport to the ground and go through its preset death animation. explosions didnt have nearly as much impact either. character models just didnt feel like they were interacting with the environment. overall it was a better game but it really dropped the ball in that department
>>
>>2791696
oh my god I could do some wicked shit with the predator disk in manual aim mode.
You could richochet that shit down the hallway in a zig zagging frisbee death machine or you could vertically bounce it so if an alien pounced at you, it would make an impenetrable wall of razor blade death.
I have never loved a weapon more in my life then that untracked disk.
>>
>>2788940
>tfw you never finished the marine campaign because you shit yourself within 5 mins of starting a level every time and have to give up
>>
>>2791527
You already have the pulse rifle with a grenade launcher, and a aim-assisted minigun. I really don't get the redundancy. Also, really smooth to give you guns with magazines but no reload button. That's so Rebellion, always pining for mediocrity.
>>
File: 2.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
2.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>>2795760
>needing anything but pistol and ap pistol bullets and your knife for facehuggers
>>
>>2795936
The pistol is a joke, don't even try to mention that..
>>
>>2789843

the avp1 flamethrower also set NPC's on fire to DEATH, all you have to do is give an enemy a puff and just run backwards in a circle, face huggers also couldn't hug you while on fire.
>>
>>2797247
the pistol was a beast in avp2
>>
>>2790861
>What are you even talking about, it's one of the worst ever
I'll let you re-read his post a second time around so as to let you understand in what sense was he talking about the flamethrower.
>>
>>2790861
Your sarcasm detector needs a battery replacement.
>>
>>2790114
Fuck yeah Soldier of Fortune 2 I played the shit out of the demo when I was in diapers.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.