[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Koichi Sugiyama Vs. Nobuo Uematsu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: koichi uematsu.png (257KB, 451x299px) Image search: [Google]
koichi uematsu.png
257KB, 451x299px
Who's the better composer?
>>
I vastly prefer Sugiyama works, but Uematsu is good too.
>>
Are you the same guy who made the Sonic music thread?

Both of them are good composers, but I think Sugiyama has a more impressive trajectory not only in video game music.
>>
>>2786854

Is this even a question? Uematsu composed some of the most well known and respected music in the entire industry. It's likely he'll be in history books alongside other modern day great composers. He's to video games what ennio moricone is to movies.
>>
One thing that makes it so hard is that both of their styles fit their respective game series so well. Uematsu's bombast and melodrama fit FF so well. Sugiyama's somewhat more airy tone fits the adventuring feel of DQ so well.

They fit and define their respective series so well that it ultimately becomes a question of which do you like more. FF or DQ.
>>
>>2786901
>Is this even a question?
>Uematsu composed some of the most well known and respected music in the entire industry

Sugiyama did too, and on top of that, he's a well known classically-trained orchestra conductor and member of JASRAC (among many other organizations).

Both Uematsu and Sugiyama are legendary, but I think you're minimizing Sugiyama's relevance
>>
>>2786906

To go slightly non-retro. Wish the 3DS was region free so I could import Theatrhthym Dragon Quest.

So sad.
>>
Yoko Shimomura
>>
>>2786912
do you have a hack-capable 3DS? there are now homebrew methods to run import titles. I suggest checking out /hbg/ on /vg/ for more info, it's actually in a sort of renaissance now, and definitely worth looking into if you're a 3DS owner.
>>
>>2786974

I might do just that. I certainly hate being denied the ability to actually buy games I want because of their inane decisions.
>>
umutsu is better
>>
so this is basically Final Fantasy vs Dragon Quest

I choose DQ
>>
>>2786854
Well, personally I really like the adventurous feel of Sugiyama's works, outside of video games as well. I think I'll have to go with Sugiyama, but Uematsu is amazing as well.
>>
>>2786854
Sugiyama
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RVj4lf5vC8
>>
Sugiyama
>>
>>2786901
>ennio moricone
You misspelled Hans Zimmer.
>>
>>2786901
>>2786908
i've always enjoyed both ff and dq more than most franchises, but sugiyama probably edges out uematsu for accessibility for non-gamers. apples and oranges. don't be ignorant>>2786901
>>
>>2787246
>for accessibility for non-gamers

First post in this thread, please explain.
>>
>>2786854
I'd say Sugiyama, but I'm a huge Dragon Quest fag who's barely played any Final Fantasy. Koichi's definitely the better conductor, but Uematsu's never tried to excuse the Japanese Imperial Army.
>>
Neither of them really have many tracks that actually stick with me though if I have to say Sugiyama is more consistently good as well as consistently more boring.

Given the choice there are a lot of others I'd pick before either of them.

i.e. Motoi Sakuraba, Yuzu Koshiro, Yoko Shimomura, Hiroki Kikuta, Michiko Naruke, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Yasunori Mitsuda, Takenobu Mitsuyoshi, Kenji Ito, Masashi Hamauzu are all better than those assholes in my completely subjective opinion.
>>
In terms of technical skill? Sugiyama, easily. Uematsu has demonstrated more versatility by virtue of trying different styles, but very few of his pieces exhibit the same level of fine-tuned complexity. Some of his scores are also fairly repetitive, because he uses leitmotifs too hard sometimes. In my opinion, his best stuff are his marches.
>>
File: 1403830501183.png (7KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
1403830501183.png
7KB, 299x276px
>>2786968
>>
>>2787661
>Uematsu's never tried to excuse the Japanese Imperial Army
Wut?
>>
>>2786854
Hamauzu.
>>
>>2788317

More World War II sociopolitical bullshit. Ignore.
>>
Uematsu far and away. Sugiyama has done more stuff, which is impressive, but a lot of his tracks seem very simplistic and very similar, without too much deviation. When Uematsu makes music, he always puts 110% into everything, and his pieces always sound amazing, and tries to mix it up sometimes as well.

Waiting for this thinly veiled DQ vs. FF thread to descend into shitposting madness like usual
>>
>>2786901
>He's to video games what ennio moricone is to movies.
Widely unknown and not even worth capitalizing to those who do know him?
>>
>>2787240
not sure if b8 or just /vr/
>>
>>2789043
Good, someone got triggered, my job here is done.
>>
>>2786854
Sugiyama is limited by his academical education, Uematsu has the advantage of being more of his own man.

You can argue that Sugiyama has the edge of having a more "solid" composition technique but that is also his limit, he rarely if ever breaks out of classical composition structures, that makes him in my opinion extremely boring and predictable in the long run, not to mention his choice in instruments is vastly inferior to most of his younger peers like Uematsu or Itoken.

Uematsu has the advantage of being born in a time progressive music was pretty much the focus of composition and is mostly a self taught artist, his compositions vary a lot in style and genre even though you can hear his touch, and like him a lot of other people like Koshiro.
These people aren't restricted by the academical mindset of most Music schools students like Sugiyama, they're more daring and original, you might argue that their compositions aren't as elegant or elaborated but they usually have the will to innovate and create new things, or view things from a different point of view.

Then you have a mixture of the two kinds which is people like Kenji Ito or Yoko Shimomura.

In short, Sugiyama beats Uematsu in terms of composition structure but Uematsu beats Sugiyama in terms of pure sound research.

As I see it it's basically a Ravel VS Fripp situation, both have something the other doesn't have and they both excel at one thing.

My personal taste would make me choose Uematsu by a large margin, but I don't deny that Sugiyama is technically the better composer.

Kenji Ito is better than Uematsu though.
And Hamauzu is better than Sugiyama.
Come at me.
>>
>>2786854
Yuzo Koshiro
>>
File: 72092603_o1.jpg (200KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
72092603_o1.jpg
200KB, 800x800px
Excuse me for being such a pleb, /vr/, but are there any games Sugiyama has worked on that sound a little less like DQ and more like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_cGHNoKSKc

I think the only games I've played that have music of his are DQ. And while I like the music on those, I like stuff like the Ideon OST more. Has he done more VGM stuff like that?
>>
The answer is Hitoshi Sakamoto.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.