[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the hardest NES game that is not Battletoads, Ghosts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: NES-01.jpg (56KB, 565x439px) Image search: [Google]
NES-01.jpg
56KB, 565x439px
What is the hardest NES game that is not Battletoads, Ghosts 'n Goblins, TMNT, or Ninja Gaiden?
>>
Adventures of Bayou Billy
>>
>>2785925
Tetris
>>
>>2785930

This and Total Recall are pretty brutal
>>
Kid Icarus
>>
Obvious Contra is obvious
>>
silver surfer
>>
>>2785992
BROOTZ
>>
ninja gaiden III
>>
life.
>>
File: YO!NEGROID.png (8KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
YO!NEGROID.png
8KB, 256x224px
>>2785925
This is the best HARD + FUN game on NES
>>
>>2785925
Can't believe Mr. Gimmick isn't mentioned yet. What's wrong with you guys.
>>
damn. bart vs the space mutants.
>>
Silver Surfer, Contra or Adventure Island.
>>
>>2785925
Kabuki Quantum Fighter is a good challenge.
>>
File: gng.png (1MB, 736x1306px) Image search: [Google]
gng.png
1MB, 736x1306px
It turns out one of my college's stores sells a bunch of old games.
>>
Castlevania III
>>
Karnov
>>
File: 1427639837629.jpg (66KB, 480x490px) Image search: [Google]
1427639837629.jpg
66KB, 480x490px
>>
Adventure Island is pretty fucking hard.
>>
Playing Bokosuka Wars completely blind
>>
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
>>
Zelda II
>>
"Hardest", or "hardest but still fun"?

Takeshi no Chousenjou?
>>
>>2785925
AMA FUCKING GON
>>
Cheetahmen II is unbeatable unless you're lucky enough to have it boot on the last level.
>>
>>2787343

that piece of shit's not even a game.
>>
>>2787282
Why do people say this is hard? The game is really easy, it's just boring.
>>
File: 519PvFVsBsL.jpg (51KB, 364x500px) Image search: [Google]
519PvFVsBsL.jpg
51KB, 364x500px
>>
>>2785925
T&C Surf
>>
>>2785925
Metal Storm
>>
Starship Hector without a turbo controller.
>>
>>2786415
>Silver Surfer
>>2785992
>silver surfer
It's reputation is only down to the tard angry nerd and actually is a pretty straight forward shmup that's not actually hard at all. I got a 1cc in under 4 hrs.

>>2785925
Ikari warriors
>>
>>2785925
Solomon's Key was fucking brutal. Fuck that game.
>>
I'd vote for Castle of Dragon...

>one death
>restart entire game
>>
Ninja gaiden isn't even hard.
>>
The Guardian Legend will fuck your shit up son.

Starts off easy but those later top down shooting levels with the giant minibosses holy fuck.
>>
>>2792435
>video games
>hard
maybe for children
>>
>>2785925

Solstice
>>
I vote Holy Diver. Has some cheap moments but never quite enough for you to just call it outright bullshit. Except maybe that floating over a pit boss.
>>
>>2785930

this
>>
>>2785930
It's one of those games that would be better if it were easier

Like it's not quite good enough to earn the right to be that hard

Yes I know about Mad City but the chick has hotter clothes in the American one so where's my motivation to beat it
>>
>>2793193
Sounds like a fan patch project in the making.
Mad City: Hot 'merican titties version
>>
Bandit Kings of Ancient China
>>
>>2792436
This. Fuck corridors 10 and 20.
>>
File: q-bert-nes-front-cover.jpg (234KB, 750x1059px) Image search: [Google]
q-bert-nes-front-cover.jpg
234KB, 750x1059px
the NES port of Q-Bert is the hardest NES game. only 3 people have shown proof of beating it. and those 3 all used pause buffering.
>>
Arkanoid
>>
>>2792904
Holy Diver becomes almost a puzzle game, seriously the difficulty is unreal in later levels. It took me most of the summer to beat it.
>>
File: tumblr_lr27mvi76i1r2xwy6o1_250.png (4KB, 102x192px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lr27mvi76i1r2xwy6o1_250.png
4KB, 102x192px
>>2785930
Bayou Billy is overrated as far as difficult games are concerned. Yes, it's harder than its Famicom counterpart, Mad City, but it's still pretty doable if you know what you're doing. Only the driving segments are considerably cheap.

>>2793193
>>2793196
Annabelle Lane was pretty much the best thing about that game. Wish there was more fanart of her.
>>
Ikari Warriors, Q-Bert, and Arkanoid are the unholy trinity of hard NES games.
>>
>>2793957
Does it have an actual ending or what? Also Qbert is badass, long live golden age arcade games fuck the haters
>>
>>2794056
>Does it have an actual ending or what?

yep
>>
>>2785925
Zombie Hunter if you want bad.
Castlevania if you want good.
Or >>2787378 is also acceptable answer.
>>
Fester's Quest
>>
>>2787361

>>2793806
Sure its a piece of shit...but you goyim should pay me so you can TRULY experience the shit...
>>
Recca
>>
>>2794113

Good answer. Also Raid on Bugeling Bay.
>>
Back to the Future Part II & III.

This game would take like eight hours to beat (or more) and you can't save.

Plus it is not fun at all.

I would legitimately be willing to send money to anyone who beats this game.
>>
>>2785925

TMNT only has one really hard spot just before the end, it's not on the Battletoads level in this regard
>>
>>2791268

yeah I bought a Silver Surfer cartridge once just in honor of Tim Follin and the game wasn't good or IMMEDIATELY easy but it was easy enough once I got into it a bit and learned its quirks and such (which AVGN maybe didn't bother to do)

I think I ended up beating it during my first play session with it, only took a couple of hours or something
>>
>>2786395

that's hard in places but not super-hard, I beat it as a kid

but I've still never finished Battletoads
>>
>>2794251

Silver Surfer would be way better if the stage didn't kill you. If there's a hack or something that turns the walls into a background like it should be then I'll bet the game is actually good
>>
>>2794206
I beat it a couple months ago. drew my own maps.. got to admit I had a good time and I'd even go as far as to call it a "fun" game. definitely could have used a password system, and like all LJN games it's too obtuse. I wouldn't consider it hard though considering you have infinite lives.
>>
>>2793957

I can get past the early part, but it gets ridiculous midgame.
>>
>>2794254

I've beaten battletoads, but I used savestates often (not savescumming).
>>
>>2793957

the mexican runner beat this on his stream without pause buffering i believe.
>>
>>2794328

>used savestates
>not savescumming

wut
>>
>>2794528

what I mean is, usually I use one or two savestates per level (or at built-in checkpoints). for battletoads I had to use savestates alot more than usual, but I didn't use them to a game breaking extent.

I think of savescumming as abusing savestates to nerf the challenge.
>>
Adventure Island is a living hell
>>
>>2794530

Checkpoints are game breaking, that's why Battletoads is so hard
>>
>>2794268

silver surfer has a good game at its core, but the walls killing you + only 1 hitpoint makes it frustrating. it would also help if you could hold the button down to shoot.
>>
>>2792436
This. It gets pretty hard, the deceiving piece of shit.

But I regret nothing. I'd buy it again.

Anyone ever beat Cybernoid? I have up after a couple screens. Not nearly fun enough to be as hard and unfair as it is.
>>
>>2794289

How many hours did it take you?

It's a looong fucking game.
>>
>>2794328
so

you haven't beaten battletoads
>>
>>2794706
took me a weekend. probably 8-10 hours total. a couple hours of that was redrawing maps
>>
>>2794952

I savestated once or twice per level, and used them much more often at certain points (like terra tubes).

I can get through the whole turbo tunnel, but I used pause buffering on clinger winger.

from a purist perspective I haven't really beaten it, although I did get through alot of the challenge. I could probably do it completely fairly, but it would take too many tries and practice runs.
>>
>>2795421
>and used them much more often at certain points (like terra tubes).

Terra Tubes already has a shitload of checkpoints. you basically savescummed.

>although I did get through alot of the challenge
by cheating
>>
street fighter 2010
>>
>>2795479

I particularly used them to get past the giant rolling wheels. also on the snake level.

>by cheating
maybe, but Im sure I could do it completely fairly. but it seems like too much practice just to be able to say I did it.
>>
Friday the 13th
>>
>>2785925
Megaman
>>
>>2785925
Silver Surfer. Yeah, you can memorize it if you play it a thousand times, but those first attempts at the levels are fucking brutal.
>>
>>2796948

like I said, silver surfer would be perfectly fine if the walls didn't damage you and you didn't have 1 hitpoint. it would be a good game but it's fatally flawed.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.