[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ARPG & questions about remakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: ARPG Remakes.jpg (175KB, 498x566px) Image search: [Google]
ARPG Remakes.jpg
175KB, 498x566px
What are your favorite ARPGs?

I played all the Zelda and wanna try more classic ones. My favorite Zelda is LA though so I've been curious about the first "Mana" game which got renamed Final Fantasy adventure, because I like the GB aesthetics, but it also has a GBA remake, and I've been wondering which one is better, what's the consensus from fans of the games?

Also been looking into the Ys series, which is the best to start with? It seems the fan consensus is that 3 is the best, but it also had a PSP/PC remake, so same question: which version is considered better and why?
>>
>>2782647
It's a shame whenever people get into series beacuse of remakes or reboots. Everytime I see people talk about Ys it's always the newer ones. Imo always start with the originals. You should try Ys 1 or Ys 3, both give you a good take on Ys.
>>
Zelda is not an action-RPG, except LoZ 2.
>>
>>2782661

*tips*
>>
>>2782647 (OP)
The GBA remake is widely reviled. It has a lot of features and mechanics, but none are implemented very well. The GB version is simpler and I guess most people dig that. To be honest, I prefer the remake, but I am well aware that I'm in the minority.

Regarding Ys, Ys III is COMPLETELY different gameplay wise from the remake. The remake is also a lot better. The reason people rave about the remakes is because they're really THAT good. If you want to play Ys, I'd suggest going in order (Ys I, Ys II, etc)... but you could start anywhere, honestly. I'd recommend the remakes, other than the retro soundtrack there's nothing that the old games offer that the remakes don't do far, far better. As long as you play Ark of Napishtim at some point, you'll fully understand the overall lore and story of the series, if that's what you're worried about.
>>
>>2782647

Ys has a complicated history. That much is hard to deny.
>>
>>2782679
>I have no real counter argument
>>
>>2782698
How about the fact that the gameplay is vastly improved in each remake? Original Ys1/2 lacks the diagonal movement that make the remakes so good, and Original 3 is a mediocre game that was turned to gold in Oath in Felghana. Just because they're older doesn't mean they're better, in this particular case it's quite the opposite.
>>
>>2782661
Ys on the PC-88 isn't translated and I'm not sure if you really need to deal with four way movement and save disks.
>>
>>2782713

Can confirm (at least on the original games). You are missing nothing by going straight to the remakes Anon.
>>
>>2782713
The best version of Ys IV is still the PC engine version, though for some reason it's non-canon
>>
File: 1446692532905.gif (565KB, 147x154px) Image search: [Google]
1446692532905.gif
565KB, 147x154px
>>2782647
>SWORD OF MANA
That game was total shit.
>>
>>2782675
Yes it is, you get health, strength, and defense upgrades. It just has no xp system.
>>
>>2783786
using that logic, metroid and f.e.a.r. are RPGs
>>
>>2783325
Still fun though.

I played the NES versions via emulation (no save scumming) just because I really like the 8-bit OSTs. Had a blast for the most part.
>>
>>2784367
You can have the PC-88 music in Chronicles and Chronicles+ if you want to.
What do you mean with no save scumming? Only saving in towns and other save places or just not using save states during boss fights?
>>
>>2782675
>>2783940
you're a fucking idiot kid
>>
>>2782661
Why?

I'm usually just happy they've discovered the series. I don't think it's a good remake, but someone who plays Sword of Mana could well then discover other Mana games they may have ignored. I don't see what's to be sad about.
>>
>>2785178
Not them, but Zelda is widely referred to as an action adventure game, not an action RPG.
>>
>>2785796
Maybe I didn't write it clearly. What I mean is I hate it when people only get into series because of newer installments (especially if they are different from the formula).
>>
Shitposting about zelda's gender, how original
I think he's a girl, btw.
>>
File: 29-snatch.gif (185KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
29-snatch.gif
185KB, 640x448px
>>2785830
I understood you fine, I still don't get why you hate it. The way I see it, if someone wouldn't have played or enjoyed the original, but they like a remake then good for them. Even if I prefer the original, I see no reason to be upset that someone else liked the remake.

I was a huge fan of the Lunar games, and think they're legitimately better on Sega CD. That's the version I recommend when people ask, but if someone plays the remakes and enjoys them I'm still happy for them. Even if they go back, try the Sega CD version and still like the remake better. Why be mad about something like that? It makes no sense to me.
>>
Ys 3's case is, in my opinion, fairly clear-cut because the remake just does so many more things, and better, than the original Ys 3, which is honestly a short, easy, and disappointing game (compared to the blockbuster previous 2).

The Ys remakes are every bit as good as the originals, in my opinion, lacking only the Turbo-CD soundtracks which are top-tier music (though the new soundtracks are near-top-tier, ha). The Turbo-CD Ys 1&2 are excellent games, and are a verrry close second in terms of quality compared to Ys Chronicles+/whatever it's called on PC.

Unless you are emulating, in which case it doesn't matter, you can get the PC remakes for cheap and they are good games.

===

Other Remakes:

Lunar 1 PS1 > Lunar 1 MCD
Lunar 2 MCD > Lunar 2 PS1
(either way the games are great though, no matter the format)

Metroid > Metroid Zero Mission (the most controversial of hot opinions)
Metroid is just a more challenging game, and its sequence breaks are more fun to pull off. ZM is a little too polished and easy for my tastes, plus its lousy ZS section tacked on at the end.

===

If you want to talk ARPGs, OP, the Wonder Boy series is one you should check out. The best games are on the Genesis: Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV (this was only released digitally in the west, but there are roms, repros, and what-have-you). They are very charming and fun.
>>
>>2785986
I was so happy they finally gave us an official english MWIV the port looks great too.
>>
File: ys-memories-celceta-featured.jpg (188KB, 1071x646px) Image search: [Google]
ys-memories-celceta-featured.jpg
188KB, 1071x646px
>>2785851
But a lot of them won't play the originals, this might create another audience, and in turn the series could go in a completely different direction. I mean just look at this pic. There were never this many little girls in Ys was there?
>>
>>2786001
>But a lot of them won't play the originals,
Again I don't see the problem.

Game series are going to go in other directions no matter what . Tomb Raider got a very faithful remake and that didn't stop them from completely changing the series once Uncharted got popular.

Japan's problem with having to pander to the loli audience would rear it's head either way.
>>
File: 13050750_p0.jpg (98KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
13050750_p0.jpg
98KB, 360x480px
>>2785986
In my opinion WBiML and Dragon's trap are better for ARPG and Metroid-like gameplay respectively. They are all very good though, I've completed the last one not long ago and it's super cute, I wish I could have played it as a kid.
>>
>>2786025
So you wouldn't have a problem with your favorite franchise making a 180?
>>
>>2786001
Ahem. Pick your poison.
http://dengekionline.com/sp/falcom30th/
>>
>>2786496
I meant in one game. Besides, less than half of those are little girls.
>>
>>2786554
I know, I'm just fucking with you.
>>
File: 07422.png (78KB, 642x402px) Image search: [Google]
07422.png
78KB, 642x402px
Does anybody have the PC-98 port of XZR 1?
I have the huge PC-98 archives from the Internet Archive but they only include XZR 2, at least under Nihon Telnet.
It looks more appealing than the PC-88 version.
http://mercenaryforce.web.fc2.com/pc9801/pc98/02464.html
>>
>>2786554
>Besides, less than half of those are little girls.
Just like in that picture you posted.
>>
>>2786608
3 of 6 is half you dolt.
>>
>>2786475
Actually, I had a huge problem with that happening when Tomb Raider. It's one of my favorite series ever was turned into a clone of Uncharted which I think is one of the worst game series ever.

What I'm saying is that I don't let that make me mad that there are people out there who enjoyed the new Tomb Raider. The fact is Tomb Raider Underwold came out which was an amazing entry in the series and a perfect way to bring the series into the modern era. But it sold badly and was by and large not popular.

Uncharted is wildly popular, and the new Tomb Raider is very successful with those people. I'm not happy that the series I love is changed, but the series I loved wasn't popular anymore anyways. It would be foolish of me to expect them to keep making the games just for me and the tiny group of people who like TR.

So I'm sad it's gone, but whatever. There are always new games and new things to find and play. Just because TR sucks now, certainly doesn't mean everything does. And if someone loves the new game and has no interest in ever playing the old ones. I can't imagine why I would have a problem with that.
>>
>>2782647
Brain Lord.

Also I guess Chaos Seed counts, but it's really more it's own genre.
>>
>>2787761
I agree with that. But how do you know that you are the minority? Who says the newer gamers that only play the newest installments aren't the minority? DmC for example, comes to mind.
>>
>>2787807
Look at the sales figures for Tomb Raider Underworld compared to the reboot and the Uncharted games it's based off. People who like classic styled Tomb Raider games are very definitely a minority.
>>
>>2787819
Maybe this is something akin to Tomb Raider than, Hitman Absolution for example, has sold about 3.6 million copies, while Blood Money has sold about 2.1 million copies.
>>
>>2788072
I don't know enough about the Hitman games to know what that means. In the case of Tomb Raider, changing the focus of the series was definitely a good call for the company. I think it looks terrible and I don't want to play it, but I know that the kind of TR I want just isn't popular enough to warrant them keep getting made.

Sure that sucks, but I prefer to look at the positive. There are always more games I want to play than I have time. If someone else is enjoying the new TR then I'm happy for them.
>>
My favorites are Super Metroid and EVO. Very unique and great games.
>>
>>2785802
This. Only two has real RPG elements.
>>
>>2790048
Seriously, what the hell? Zelda is much closer related to Adventure on Atari 2600 than Ultima, Dragon Quest, or even Xanadu/Faxanadu.
>>
>>2790984
Zelda has no experience gain from killing monsters which is one of the key things that designates it. You do get more heart containers to build health over the course of the game, but they're found in the environment.

The Legend of Zelda games are almost universally referred to as action adventure, not RPGs.
>>
>>2793592
So Wizardry 4 (totally an action RPG because there's a real time counter out to kill you) and other games without XP for killed monsters aren't RPGs either?
>>
>>2782661
The remakes are better than the old ones, ya hipster.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.