[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SUPER-FX

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: giphy.gif (588KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
588KB, 500x500px
We know Nintendo was kinda stingy about the cost of the chip, but what other games would have benefited from it?
>>
As far as I know it didn't affect performance at all, all it could do was simple polygons and sprite rotation. The SDA-1 would have been more useful.
>>
>>2781453
Whoops, I mean SA-1.
>>
None, nobody cares about 3d if it means playing games at 5 fps.
>>
>>2781457
SA1 does a lot behind-curtains stuff, but few of it is visible.
Only SFX2 does a lot visual stuff. I'm not even sure it's a polygon based chip
>>
>>2781449
There was a bunch of projects developed for SuperFX and SuperFX2. Wonder what could they have been.
>>
They should've used the sprite scaling technology to make a Space Harrier like rail shooter.
>>
Is this the same one that was in Stunt Race FX?
I remember there being some huge deal about that game when it came out, something about "3d like you've never seen it before"

It did look sweet as hell back then, but I wonder if it was really that big of a deal as they made it out to be
>>
What did the SFX2 actually do in Yoshi's Island? Probably sprite rotating and scaling, but anything else? Could those graphics have been achieved without the chip?
>>
Maybe they should have released the chip in some sort of pass-through cart, so it could be used by a lot of games without having to pay for the hardware each and everytime time. Something something 32X.
>>
>>2782705
I believe the intro with the models was also done with the SFX2 chip. Unless I'm an idiot and those were just good sprites a la SMRPG.
>>
>>2782705

>Probably sprite rotating and scaling, but anything else?

A handful of objects in the game are 3D models, like doors, as well as the Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy effect.

> Could those graphics have been achieved without the chip?

Nope. The SNES can't rotate or scale sprites. It can rotate and scale a single background layer, but that's it.
>>
>>2782881
just sprites
>>
>>2782886
>The SNES can't rotate or scale sprites
...Yeah, I know, that's what I said. But Yoshi's Island's graphics are way more detailed than other SNES games, so I was wondering if this is the work of the SFX2 or just good artists and a big cart.

I remember that ghost boss looked like CGI compared to the rest.
>>
>>2781479

Only the first version of the SFX had that problem. Unfortunately, I don't believe the second version was used hardly at all.
>>
>>2782861

Then the consumer would've footed the cost, while the devs. couldn't have been charged as much. As it was, the way Nintendo did it allowed them to rape the dev. behind the scenes for the cost of using the chip, while cleverly disguising any added cost to the consumer in the form of a higher retail pricetag for the game. And if someone did notice? "Developers set their own MSRP for their games. We merely provide guidance.".
>>
>>2783469
There's also the convenience factor of having to buy a pass-through adapter vs not having to worry about whether you can play the game or not
>>
>>2783513

That too.
>>
File: SMW2_SluggytheUnshaven.jpg (8KB, 200x148px) Image search: [Google]
SMW2_SluggytheUnshaven.jpg
8KB, 200x148px
>>2782705

I actually don't know, but a wild guess is that maybe bosses like sluggy the unshaven with that cool wobbly, gooey effect were thanks to the chip, don't remember seeing something like that in other games.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.