[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Run and gun games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: gunstarheroes2.jpg (84KB, 426x611px) Image search: [Google]
gunstarheroes2.jpg
84KB, 426x611px
Move right, shoot bad dudes until they blow up, move more right, shoot more bad dudes, shoot a boss until he dies, repeat.

Whatever happened to the run and gun genre? Are they still being made? I love the Metal Slug games for the most part, I love Contra and I love both of the Treasure efforts on the Megadrive. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2780806
>Move right
No top-down run n guns allowed?
>>
>>2780809

I'm open to them, I'll admit I prefer moving right than top down, those bits in Contra 3 weren't great but I'm game.
>>
alien soldier
midnight resistance
gunforce 2
devil front
dolphin blue
dyna gear
shock troopers (don't play the second one)
>>
there's this snes proto called Nightmare Busters
>>
File: firemen.jpg (63KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
firemen.jpg
63KB, 640x437px
>>2780812
Good, good. I liked the top down stages in the Game Boy games and I have been looking for other good top down games ever since. Firemen is pretty great.

And Gunstar Heroes should take a look at Rapid Reload, since that game is heavily inspired by GH.
>>
Biomechanical Toy
JJ Squawkers
>>
Rolling Thunder 3
>>
>>2780806
>Move right, shoot bad dudes until they blow up, move more right, shoot more bad dudes, shoot a boss until he dies, repeat.

Move right (while dodging bullets), shoot bad dudes until they blow up (while dodging bullets), move more right (while dodging bullets), shoot more bad dudes (while dodging bullets), shoot a boss until he dies (while dodging bullets), repeat.

Fixed that for you. You're welcome.
>>
>>2780819

I'll give it a go!

>>2780818

Thank you!

>>2780814

Thank for the suggestions!
>>
>>2780819

I love Firemen... although I hadn't really thought about it as a run-n-gun, I suppose it kinda is. I wish this game had a 2 player option though.
>>
>>2780806
>Whatever happened to the run and gun genre? Are they still being made?
They're no longer retro.
>>
>>2780812
Contra 3 overhead levels are awful, try something like Twinkle Tale, pretty great stuff.
>>
>>2780852

>No longer retro

How did it stop being retro? It's exactly the 'videogames are dumb and for kids' argument manifest.
>>
>>2780821
>Biomechanical Toy
Did not expect to see this hear.

>>2780847
>hadn't really thought about it as a run-n-gun
It's slower, but it fits.

>I wish this game had a 2 player option though
There is a Japan only sequel on the PS1 which has co-op, don't know how playable it is without knowing Japanese.
>>
>>2780864
I completed this. I found a safe spot where you can sit farming 1ups for ever. Bad game.
>>
>>2780886
They were released after 1999 or on sixth generation consoles.
>>
>>2780814
I just cannot get into alien soldier. I think it might have to do with the size of the character sprites. In GH you had so much room to move a round thanks to the relatively small character sprites, but in AS you're fucking huge and so is everything else.
>>
>>2780814
Is it possible that I may like Alien Soldier if I like Contra games but dont like Gunstar Heroes?
>>
>>2781176
I use to not be able to get into it. The I came to terms with the fact that the game isn't actually a run and gun, it's a boss battle game, and it wants you to make use of everything available to you, all the time.

Counters, Dashes, Shoot Mode Change, The Air Lock, Walking on Ceilings.

Spend some time just playing with the motions of the game. Look at everything as a problem of management. Dash and the FireBird move are critical to the game.
>>
File: shocktroopers.png (29KB, 304x224px) Image search: [Google]
shocktroopers.png
29KB, 304x224px
>>2780812
Most of the best run and guns are side-view, But Shock Troopers is amazing, one of my all-time favorite games.
>>
>>2781209
>Look at everything as a problem of management.

I should elaborate further.

You have to manage your space through dashing, manage your weapon ammo by changing weapons, manage your health through counter force, and manage your Firebird usage against the risk of health loss. - And even then, that is sometime an unavoidable risk. Weapon choice also has to be managed, as some weapons are ineffective against armour.

>>2781214
I fucking love Shock Troopers! Great taste, friend.
>>
>>2781218
Another thing that really gets me about Alien Soldier is the controls screen right before you start the first level. I do all the stuff listed and try to get familiar with it, but I know deep down that when I get into a tricky situation the only controls I'm really going to use are jump and shoot, and occasionally weapon switch.

I guess I just need to get some practice in. Also I'm pretty sure sam hyde uses the intro music for Alien Soldier in one of his videos.
>>
>>2781236
Well, Dash and Counter are more important than Jumping and shooting in the game. Dash alone is probably the most important thing. It makes you invisible, you see.
>>
File: dmnfrnt-09-29-201025.png (76KB, 448x224px) Image search: [Google]
dmnfrnt-09-29-201025.png
76KB, 448x224px
I played Demon Front the other day, and it was a pretty nice Metal Slug clone.
>>
>>2781250
An arcade near me has this game, the combo system is fun.
>>
Its still around, but generally arcade style games are kind of dead.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.