[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the best snes emulator and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

File: 1247328121850.jpg (97KB, 341x233px) Image search: [Google]
1247328121850.jpg
97KB, 341x233px
what is the best snes emulator and why?
>>
zsnes cause it's old timey :D
>>
SNES9x for toasters, BSNES (not Higan) for everyone else.
>>
>>2780497

Objectively wrong answer, I like the look of ZSnes but that's it.

I vote Snes9x if you want to make your game look better, but Higan is better all around.
>>
>>2780515
>Higan is better all around

It's good at what it does, but limited BS-X support, mediocre peripheral support and mandatory cartridge folder nonsense are all negatives. I haven't kept up with development for a while so I don't know if any of that has gotten better recently.
>>
>>2780515
>Snes9x if you want to make your game look better

What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
bsnes-mercury or bsnes-classic
>>
>>2780479
Just use snes9x. Just load up a rom and start playing.

fucking bsnes installs shit in your Users directory without even asking.
>>
>>2780497
>tfw you switch to snes9x and no more snow effects
>>
>>2780968
that snow is seriously cozy

ZSNES might be the coziest emulator ever made
>>
File: Zsnes-gui.png (4KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
Zsnes-gui.png
4KB, 512x448px
ahhh
>>
>>2780562

Bullshit. Fucking bullshit is what he is talking about.

>>2780975

I can see how you would like it. I like the aesthetic myself. Someone should seriously port it to BSNES/SNES9x.
>>
http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=67700

Zsnes has been outdated for ages, and now even it's UI is superseded

I recall Retroarch is also coming with a cloned UI based on Zsnes, or at least that's what I found last time I downloaded a copy of it
>>
>>2780479
zsnes and snes9x are kings. Are you after cycle perfect emulation or some other retro elite wankery? Then fuck off. Who actually gives a fuck anyway. You just want your games to run well, right?

Facts: zsnes will play 99.9% of the entire rom set without flaw, and has done for what? The past 15 years? Exceptions:
Yoshis island (glitchy bridges)
Mario rpg (bad menu transparencies)
Front mission 2 (glitchy minimap)

If you want to play any of these 3, use snes9x. You may still need to do some config to make them perfect. You could run 9x exclusively and never have an issue, but as stated by others, zsnes is comfy as fuck once you are used to it.
>>
>>2780479

holy shit, woodruff and the shnibble of azimuth, didn`t think i`d see this gem anywhere again
>>
>>2781009
How though? What makes it a better emulator?
>>
>>2781010

Garbage.
>>
>>2781010
>Secret of Evermore

Random crashes, not completable.

>Seiken Densetsu 3

Freezes at a certain point in late game. Had to discover this the hard way.

>Mega Man 1

Sends you back to the tutorial level after getting the upgrade in the Ice Pingu stage (sure, there is a 'fixed' rom floating around which prevents it, but an emulator shouldn't rely on hacks just to work somehow)

1/10 would not emulate again.
>>
>>2781010
I dont emulate anymore, but zsnes brings me back to some nostalgia feels.

I remember playing the DBZ snes games when DBZ was still in the Frieza saga in the US and not knowing who the fuck Cell or Trunks were.

Does it still have the purple screen, green text and orange cursor?

...those were the days
>>
>>2781015
>>2781029
So what do you argue in favour of? Last time I checked, "garbage" wasn't a snes emu. So u snes9x then? Cool, so do I. 9x has flaws too. We are up to 6 in what, 1000 roms? Boo fucking hoo.

No one has yet explained why any other emu is actually better than zsnes or 9x.
>>
>>2781059

Troll harder.
>>
>muh accuracy
>>
>>2781070
>>2781015
not him, I'm also interested in knowing what's the best snes emulator but you're not making any arguments at all.
>>
>>2780559
>mandatory cartridge folder nonsense
Explain more please?
>>
>>2781097
>the best snes emulator

You'll be fine with SNES9x. There is also BSNES/Higan, which runs every commercial game without any hitches. Needs more horse power (~2ghz) and a certain tolerance for bullshit concepts like game folders though.
>>
>>2781126
Higan will take your rom, "purify" it and put it into it's own folder together with meta data files. You can't do anything to stop it from doing that.

You can also try RetroArch with bSNES core (which Higan uses for SNES games). It cuts the folder bullshit out.
>>
>>2780479
Higan is perfect for emulation, but it lack some features.

>>2781126
You have to create something like a playlist of your games instead of just selecting a rom and letting it go
>>
>>2781143
>playlist

I think you confuse Higan with Mednafen.
>>
>>2781146
damn, library is the correct word.
>>
>>2780515
cant even run zsnes in a window its trash. Forced full screen applications can fuck off and die
>>
File: emuhelp_zsnes11.png (4KB, 256x222px) Image search: [Google]
emuhelp_zsnes11.png
4KB, 256x222px
>>2781151
guess what the "w" means
>>
>>2781169
waifu?
>>
File: Zoink.jpg (37KB, 242x208px) Image search: [Google]
Zoink.jpg
37KB, 242x208px
>there are people on this board who still use Zsnes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3SOYneC7mU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7_6R_cvgw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZ7Q6U2x-c
>>
Step 1: Go to mednafen's site.
Step 2: Look at all of the systems mednafen emulates.
Step 3: If the system you are wondering about is emulated by mednafen, then mednafen is the best emulator for that system.
Step 4: Throw all the other emulators for those systems in the trash.

Congratulations. Now you're playing with power.
>>
>>2781272
Last I used standalone Mednafen (many years ago), it used some fucked up asynchronous rendering system that completely destroyed frame timing.

The correct way to emulate things is using emulators in Retroarch. Perfect timing, low latency, huge number of features, consistent interface for all systems. Using anything else is laziness.
>>
>>2781283
Works perfectly here. And retroarch is such a fucking ass-backwards way to emulate anything it rivals zsnes in its utter stupidity.
>>
>>2781285
It's literally the only way to get perfect frame timing with no audio glitches.

I repeatedly complained in MPV threads on /g/ about how MPV didn't do frame timing like RetroArch did, and eventually MPV devs added display-resample mode which works like RA. With PC hardware you have async audio/video clocks so there is no other option if you want perfection.
>>
>>2780497
ZMZ is the answer
>>
>>2781003
>Someone should seriously port it to BSNES/SNES9x.

are you too fucking stupid to understand what ZMZ is?
>>
I use bsnes v88 usually.

ZMZ is nice to use if I want to relive my days of using ZSNES, and if I want filters then RetroArch is the way to go.
>>
File: Mario.png (405KB, 440x464px) Image search: [Google]
Mario.png
405KB, 440x464px
>>2781010
You were right about SNES9x and ZSNES being all you need, but you probably should have stopped talking at that point.

Use Snes9x for everything. Use ZSNES for Super Mario World romhacks and for whatever else won't work right in Snes9x. Otherwise, use Snes9x for everything.
>>
File: happy mario.png (58KB, 914x848px) Image search: [Google]
happy mario.png
58KB, 914x848px
>>2781170
WAH!
>>
>>2781468
>whatever else won't work right in Snes9x.

There's literally no game which works in ZSNES but doesn't in SNES9x. If you experience something different, it might be because you're using the latest stable version of SNES9x, which is 8 years old by now. Use a dev build.
>>
>>2780968
>>2780975
>not using Water A
>>
hello /vr/, emulator noob here. how do i get snes9x to work on windows 8? i keep getting "d3dx9_38.dll is missing". i googled it and learned i need to download directx9 but i can't install it. Should i just use a different emulator?
>>
>>2782078
Really? All of the old SMW romhacks made with tools designed for ZSNES, they all work in Snes9x now?
>>
>>2782105
there are multiple options? All this time and I never knew.
>>
>>2781272
Only true for PC Engine and PSX modules which aren't directly based on any other emulator.

Other modules like SNES or Genesis are simply based on old versions of bsnes and Genesis Plus, GBA is based on an old version of Visual Boy Advance, etc.
>>
>>2782797
Both Virtual Boy and PC-FX emulation in Mednafen are the best around and are largely original. The other emulators for them are buggy enough to make them not worth bothering with.

I was under the impression that the PC-FX and VB CPU was based on something from another emulator, but I can't find details on that.

Most of the handheld emulation Mednafen is based off emulators which have been long abandoned; Cygne, Handy, Neopop, and original VBA (not VBA-Meme).
>>
>>2782331

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20150924/install-amd64-minimal-20150924.iso
>>
>>2782797
the GBC support in mednafen is tons better than in VBA though
>>
The only reason whatsoever to use mednafen is for its custom cores (PSX/PC-E/PCFX).
>>
>>2782382
romhacks =/= snes games. There are some super nintendo romhacks that could be played on a SNES, but not always the case.
>>
File: RobotnikTense.jpg (146KB, 1002x960px) Image search: [Google]
RobotnikTense.jpg
146KB, 1002x960px
>>2784054
So, you're just being an idiot then, and what I said before was completely correct after all?
>>
>>2784208
You separated games and hacks in your post.

The idiot is you.
>>
File: Robotnik Laughing.gif (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Robotnik Laughing.gif
5KB, 200x200px
>>2784342
>The idiot is you.
You are correct. The idiot is you.
>>
File: 1343379904753.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1343379904753.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>2784635
You really need to stop posting. It's for your own good.
>>
bsnes /higan is the best. lol @all noobs with zsnes
>>
I love how all those noobs in this thread don't even looked in the sticky thread here in vr were it clearly says what the best emulators for Gameboy color, Snes, and all other consoles are. yet you discuss it here like it hasn't been ruled over yet. stay pressed, bitches.
>>
>>2780479
Bizhawk because rewind
>>
>>2780793
>bsnes

you mean higan
>>
There's no right answer.

Only one wrong answer, and that is ZSnes
>>
>>2781169
i thought it meant widescreen
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.