[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think about Rise of the Triad ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: rott_gibs-798406.png (33KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
rott_gibs-798406.png
33KB, 640x400px
What does /vr/ think about Rise of the Triad ?
>>
>>2775275
Doom clone.
>>
Could be better.
>>
Lets you play as a dog, therefore GOTY
>>
For fans of that kind of game it is worth trying at least once. Just avoid the remake.
>>
8/10 it's OK.
>>
>>2775275
You know how people say "meme game?" Unfortunately that's RotT's status now. A game people like to reference, because it has some humorously silly features in it, but no one wants to actually play.

For the time it was a decent effort and goofy fun.
>>
>>2775275
Love it, enemies are bullet sponges though and I could swear some of the mazes have no exit.
It's more fun with cheats.
>>
>>2775275
dumb fun.
Blake Stone was the better game with that engine though.
>>
>>2775275
Enjoyable.
First stage music is awesome, the rest of the soundtrack is lame.
>>
I like the music, but the level design is godawful. Cool powerups though.
Definitely on the lower tier of cool 90s shooters.
>>
>>2775275
Fun weapons, love the gore, the fake room-over-room parts and levitating platforms were innovative for the time. Unfortunately, the enemies lack variety, the engine severely limits what can be done with the level design, and giving the pistols/smg unlimited ammo is kind of a gamebreaking design decision.
>>
>>2775310
Yes, it is an FPS.
>>
>>2775794
Doom clone isn't equivalent with FPS

maybe WOLF3D clone
>>
>>2775836
>WOLF3D clone
Most accurate. It's a very turbocharged and over the top Wolf3D clone. There's very little Doom in it except for Tom Hall stuff which never made it into Doom anyway.
>>
File: Screenshot_Doom_20151104_083926.png (265KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_Doom_20151104_083926.png
265KB, 1024x768px
The original game isn't great. Controls like ass, especially with the faster characters, the heavy limits on missile weapons means you're going to be using boring hitscans 90% of the time, and the level design is atrocious. One of the most obvious victims of the shareware curse. Still, some cool ideas and funny features.

The ZDoom TC is fantastic, though. Definitely worth playing, even if you didn't care much for the original game. Basically fixes everything I mentioned above. Smooth controls, you can carry all the missile and magic weapons at the same time, and great level design to top it off. Highly recommended.
>>
>>2775275
I played it so much back in the days.

I didn't like some of the never-ending maze-like levels though. It should have been better with more but shorter levels. It did have some nice secret areas, though, and the end boss scenario was neat.
>>
Funny for a few minutes then it becomes extremely annoying. As dorky as the mind behind it.
>>
File: rambo shoots.gif (545KB, 429x212px) Image search: [Google]
rambo shoots.gif
545KB, 429x212px
Never really liked it, for me it was just too random and silly, and I enjoy random and silly stuff. I'm a huge fan of Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem, and Blood, so maybe after playing those games ROTT didn't really do anything for me.
I got the HD remake on my steam, but it runs so poorly I didn't even bother playing it after 20 minutes.
>>
>>2775275
above average neat gimmicks
>>2775336
the remake had a lot of problems but it was the closest to proper old fps gameplay you can get in a modern engine
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.