[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you consider the best way to play Final Fantasy I or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

What do you consider the best way to play Final Fantasy I or II? Dawn of Souls? PSP? Original NES/Famicom? Something else?

How about III, do you think the Famicom version or the remake is the preferred way to play?
>>
>>2771701
For all three:
The original NES/famicom versions (patched to fix minor bugs, if you prefer) on your favorite emulator
Optional:
Use a computer with an older graphics card and output to your favorite CRT
>>
Dawn of Souls version was good. Three, probably the nea one. DS one is pretty different.
>>
None. They all suck.
>>
FF Origins on PS1 is the best version of FF1. It's a proper update to the game speed-wise, it (optionally) gets rid of the part of battles where you'd wiff at the air of just-defeated enemies, but otherwise the rest of the game remains intact with no nerfing or changing of the magic system like other versions.
>>
How is the translation of the NES and PS1 version?
>>
>>2771701
GBA is an OK remake that still retains 2D but gives it a more 16-bit style. It a bit dumbed down, though (low difficulty level). If you want the same graphics as the GBA but with difficulty more like the original then Dawn of Souls, but unfortunately you'll have some loadtimes (not too bad iirc).

If you want authentic go for the NES versions though.
>>
>>2771739
>>2771802
One thing to note about the PS1 version is that it does away with the highly limited inventory from the NES original. Each party member could only carry four weapons and four armors, including what they were wearing. PS1 version just gives you unlimited space to carry all the fat loot in the world. It's not as big of a difference as the removal of vancian casting in the later versions, but it does make the game a bit easier since everyone can access any spellcasting weapons or armors without having to equip them over other items with better stats.
>>
>>2771701
Dawn of Souls is the best for FF1 if you can stand the load times, and PSP is a good compromise if you can't.
FF2 is best on PSP with the extra content and fixes.
>>
>>2771739
PS1 version also has cool cut scenes.
>>
If you're unwilling to deal with the weird design choices of the NES/Famicom originals, Dawn of Souls is the best version of 1 in my opinion. The PSP remake is the same, but I think the graphics look terrible there. 2's best version is PSP, hands down.
>>
>>2771701
I liked the GBA one for making combat not shit and for having some neat extra stuff.

And nice graphics. And not having to pay money to save, fuck your couch nigga
>>
>>2771713
I agree with this chap.
Although I have to wonder about this point:
>Use a computer with an older graphics card
Why? Ignoring the obvious fact that flashcarts are the best way to go if you want CRT goodness, why an older card? I don't see how a modern one is going to have any problems outputting to a CRT monitor. I'm interested to know whether there's a differece that I don't know about here.
>>
>>2771701
Original NES if you're a purist
Origins is so far the best remake available if you can't stand bleep bloops and pixels.
>>
For FFII only the NES and PS1 versions are worth playing. After that they changed the mechanics so there are no stat downs which misses the point of FFII.
>>
>>2771701
From somebody who has actually completed FF1, and played numerous versions of it:

Play the PSP or (if you really have to) the iPhone release. Graphics and sound are all great, plus all of the bugs are fixed so that none of the spells are buggy. And there are some extra dungeons at the end. Because once you get strong enough, the final boss isn't too difficult and you'll want to be playing a little more.

Seriously, get the PSP emulator and play the PSP release, it's the most complete version. I completed it on the GBA, and while it was really good, I really wanted to play the extra dungeons.

If you want to play the NES version, get a patched ROM, because a lot of the spells are really buggy (or they don't even work).

Same goes for FF II. Not sure what to do about FF III because I haven't played it yet.
>>
>>2771701
>What do you consider the best way to play Final Fantasy I or II?

lonely and depressed
>>
>>2776619
Pretty sure the GBA version had extra dungeons
>>
Origins on the PS1. Avoid the Dawn of Souls version of FF1 at all costs. By the second town, you're invincible, and the game becomes mash A to win. DoS FF2 is okay though.
>>
>>2777043
They were absolute shit though, with weak enemies and you had to go through it multiple times to fight the bosses at the end. It was the incarnation of artificial longevity.
>>
>>2776619
>>2777063
The PSP version, if I remember correctly, even had another extra dungeon that was actually quite a challenge.
It also had the GBA added dungeons, I think.
>>
>>2776494
New graphics cards (and new motherboards) don't have VGA jacks.
CRT monitors only have the blue VGA plug.
Not the white DVI and certainly not HDMI or displayport.
>>
>>2777043
>>2777067

Yeah the GBA version did have extra dungeons, but the PSP version had even more, and they were more challenging.
>>
>>2771945
Load times? WTF are you smoking
>>
>>2777314
He thinks the long load times meme apples to any PSX port but FF6. A depressingly common mistake.
>>
I prefer the GBA version to the NES/PS1 version havent tried PSP

Its mostly due to the spell charge system which I just dont enjoy. I did like the battle backgrounds on origins better though
>>
>>2776619
Thanks for the infos, same as OP I was wondering about this.

My PC is kinda crap but it can run the DS emulator and Mario Kart DS without any problems or lags (from what I've tried so far) - will it be enough to run a PSP emulator? I checked a video and it doesn't seem to be asking much resources (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nloJbM1Ypnw) but I've never tried or played any PSP stuff.
>>
>>2771713
Second that
>>
>>2777539
I can run PSP games just fine on my toaster.

Some of the later, more demanding ones like FF Type-0 have a hard time maintaining a consistent frame rate.

FF1 and 2 are not demanding at all. It's not that big of a download, so you might as well give it a shot.
>>
>>2777550
I would have either way yeah but thanks for the feedback.
>>
>>2777063
They were ok desu
I mean, nonsensical shit and railroading aside, they at least added content.
Mainly I really liked some of the cool shit you'd find, like the capes which you could put in the shield slot of mages.

They were stupidly drawn out though. Also, I couldn't ever beat the water one, I beat the earth, wind and fire ones, but the bosses in the water one would just not roll over and die, maybe I did it wrong?
>>
>>2777296
I found them to be mostly challenging enough most of the time, but maybe I'm just a casual.
>>
>>2777157
But modern cards are pretty much guarenteed to ship with a DVI to VGA convertor. Everybody owns one or two of those. Even in the unlikely scenario where somebody didn't own one it's bound to be an easy, cheap and effortless thing to buy. (Not that I would know, damn things just seem to pop out of nowhere.)
>>
If you're playing the GBA version, get the "Mod of Balance" hack. FF1 is way too easy without it, I'm playing it right now without it (found out about it too late) and it hasn't been a great experience, random battles get very boring when all you need to win is press A. Also it seems to fix things with FF2 most people dont like. I still dont go there but I'm gonna use it.
I'd recommend the NES original for better difficulty, but it's waaay slower. I never played it back in the day so it was very hard for me to stay interested on this version.
>>
>>2778057
I must mention that while I own a PSP and have a PC gaming setup ready to run PPSSPP, I didn't choose the PSP version because the aesthetics on these "HD" remakes dont appeal to me at all. The fonts are ugly, in fact everything UI-wise looks very cheap. The sprites are fine but look weird in motion. The GBA ones are lower res but have a better look overall in my opinion, very close to the SNES games.
Seriously, check every version on youtube before making a decision.
>>
>>2778057
What sort of stuff does this mod of balance change?

Does it make it so you have to use spells and such during random battles?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.