[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does Turbografx CD attachment increase console power?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: PCengineCD.jpg (587KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PCengineCD.jpg
587KB, 1600x1200px
It is known that the CD attachment for the megadrive/genesis added new abilities to the console letting it do things like hardware scaling and rotation of sprites, upgrading the console to match the best the SNES could do.

What then about the PC engine CD? Does it do anything other than let the console read discs and play CD audio?
>>
Allows more RAM through system cards

Skilled devs used the sound hardware for better graphics
>>
If I remember correctly, the CD attachment for the PC Engine itself did not add extra features. However, the CD System Cards certainly did grant upgrades.

The Arcade Cards allowed for near-perfect Neo-Geo ports, for example.
>>
Accordin to wiki:
>The addition of the CD-ROM peripheral adds CD-DA sound, and a single ADPCM channel to the existing sound capabilities of the PC Engine.

I remember here in the US the Turbo CD let you use standard composite a/v cables to connect to hook up the TG16 to a tv. Before the Turbo CD was released you had to buy the Turbo Booster add-on to get composite output.
>>
>>2770879
It added BRAM, audio RAM and some audio hardware. Useful but not nearly as powerful as the mega cd which was almost a complete console on it's own complete with CPU
>>
>>2770898
the duo systems and the picture super cd-rom2 unit comes with the system card buit-in,
one could make a case for the extra ram coming with the hardware unit here]
>>
>>2770897
>Skilled devs used the sound hardware for better graphics
Such as?
>>
>>2771159
The pc CD ROM was also years before the Sega CD.
>>
>>2771464
I don't think that's what OP meant by "new abilities"
>>
>>2771415
Monster Lair, I believe, used the RAM for audio to store graphics data instead.
>>
>>2770879
>upgrading the console to match the best the SNES could do.
The SNES could do redbook audio?
>>
>>2774153
he is probably meaning that the mega drive gains a mode 7-like scaler with the mega cd
>>
>>2774024
also Spriggan
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.