[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts On Sonic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

File: h.png (458KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
h.png
458KB, 1920x1200px
Sup, /vr/

Played a little Sonic when I was younger but actually took the time this week to beat the first one and play a little of the second. I've gained a whole new appreciation for the series and wanted to share some thoughts.

Where did the "muh speed" thing come from? While getting through the levels, I hated to speed up because most of the time it meant smacking into an enemy and losing all of my rings. I did the best if I took my time and actually EXPLORED the levels for powerups and rings.

I hear a lot of people say the second game was harder than the first, but it felt to me the first was tougher. The spin-dash and tails helping with rings often pulled me out of some tight spots. Tails is a little annoying at times and I feel as if he gets in the way, but there was times he helped me progress, whether it was collecting a fallen ring or scoring an extra boss hit.

Anyone feel the same? It's a shame to see how far the series has fallen. Sonic still has so much potential to be a great series.
>>
File: 1354972297756.jpg (52KB, 589x322px) Image search: [Google]
1354972297756.jpg
52KB, 589x322px
>>2770697
Way past cool story OP
>>
>>2770697
the speed was mostly a marketing gimmick and more about the potential speed sonic/the game could go. the real selling point was the physics. momentum was everything and you got rewarded by knowing the levels
>>
I don't think people say Sonic 2 is harder than 1, Sonic 1 is pretty challenging.

If you liked exploring in Sonic 1 rather than go fast, don't forget to play Sonic CD, it goes more into that direction.
>>
>>2770710

Awesome, will do. Don't get me wrong, I like going fast, but in the first game it felt as if it hurt me more than helped. I've also heard that the GBA games balance out speed and exploration perfectly.

>>2770707
Way past cool shitposting.
>>
Sonic 1 is a little rough but a good start. 2, 3 & Knuckles improved on it and are genuine classics. CD took it in a different direction which seems to be pretty love it or hate it. Personally I think it's the best one.

Honestly if you like the exploring and platforming the best you'll probably love CD even more.
>>
File: 1363728894486.jpg (35KB, 283x750px) Image search: [Google]
1363728894486.jpg
35KB, 283x750px
I guess it's good to play 1 and 2 if you never have, but only fans of the series will really get the most out of those entries. Most people probably wouldn't hurt to skip straight to S3K, which is
1. the highlight of all Sonic games 2. the last good Sonic game ever made
3. the only really good Sonic game there is
4. the absolute best game on the Genesis
5. within the top 10 games of the 90's
>>
>>2770710
Sonic 2 has a much harder end boss than Sonic 1.
>>
I don't like Sonic's style of gameplay. I've always preferred bonk instead.

Sonic 1 is literally shit. I shut off the game once I reach marble zone Act 2

Sonic CD is my favorite cuz of exploration, similar to bonk 2 and 3
>>
>>2770697
I didn't grow up with Sonic at all, in fact the first Sonic game I owned was Sonic '06, but a couple years ago I played through all the classic games (except the Game Gear games and 3D Blast, the latter because I've never gotten a Saturn emulator to work) for the first time.

Sonic 1 is underrated, I really like the heavy focus on momentum.

Sonic 2 is a bit overrated but still a pretty good game. Tails never got in my way other than the special stages, but I feel like we lost a little something when it came to said momentum-based stuff.
Sonic CD is fun, but I feel like the level design is pretty hit-and-miss. JP > US
S3&K is fantastic. Each character changes how you play in a huge way and there's just a ton of replayability to it. Some of the best music, some of the best graphics, and the stages are huge (but not too huge). I played the Sonic 3 Complete version though (like I said I never grew up with Sonic) so maybe I was spoiled.
Knuckles Chaotix is the best Sonic game though. So many stages, so many characters, and I love how chaotic the game gets thanks to the tether and all the shit you can do with it.
>>
>>2770697
>muh speed
It comes from the fact that there is a time limit on levels and the games encourage you to go fast.
>>
>>2771617

running out of time in Sonic games is highly unlikely since the levels aren't that long. Only level in the Sonic series I remember getting time over is Sandopolis Act 2 because it's a huge kind of retarded maze.

Sonic CD's levels are a lot bigger but the timer resets to 5:00 everytime you time travel so time over isn't an issue there either (unless you play the HD remake)
>>
Op and others who like Exploration
Master System Sonic Games are excellent in this respect.
>>
>>2770697
>Where did the "muh speed" thing come from?

Marketing, like the cartoons calling him the "fastest thing alive". Now eventually the people on Sonic Team left, got replaced, and all the new people were already bought into the marketing.

Really the only people on Sonic Team now that worked on a game older than Colors are only in producing roles, they don't actually do any hands on shit.
>>
>>2770697

The standard at the time was the NES, where almost no games had comparable speed and graphics. Sonic was the first game that was actually really, really fucking fast, and had next gen graphics too on top of it. Shit load of parallax scrolling, huge sprites, fast gameplay, giant levels, etc.

The second game expanded on that with the spindash, and also by having a couple of levels specifically designed around having lanes where you could just go full speed and not really have many enemies to smash onto (Chemical Plant for example).
>>
>>2771623
Marble Garden and Carnival Night can also give you time outs pretty often, since they are incredibly huge with little in the way of hidden routes.

In Sonic CD, on the second to last level, you are guaranteed a time out if you do not know exactly which route to take. The bad routes loop back to the start, and you simply have no time to try again on the correct route and still reach the end of the level. But this is not counting the timer reset during time travel (which I never bothered with, since it is way easier to just finish he special stages and get the good ending).
>>
>>2771617
The Genesis games have a time limit? I knew the timer was there but I honestly thought it was just for score, had no idea it killed you or whatever if you reached a certain time.
>>
>>2771762
Yeah, you get a Time Over at 10 minutes. You have to really screw around to reach that time though. It's not gonna just happen unless you get stuck. There's nothing really urging you to go fast.
>>
>>2771762
every single time someone brings up Sanic CD some bitch ass will complain about the time limit
>>
>>2774416
>>2771762
i was trying to get my gf to play sonic 3 & knuckles and she kept getting time overs. Marble garden and stuff
>>
>>2770849
You do know that there's a Genesis/MD version of 3D Blast, right?
>>
>>2770697
Sonic X. "Blast processing" was the gimmick you're thinking of, which is something else entirely. "Going fast" was reserved for seasoned players that could predict (or rather, remember) various off-screen waypoints.

>>2770727
I have a video of someone playing sonic & knuckles & knuckles. Pretty cool glitch art actually.

>>2774536
I would hope so, though I wouldn't be surprised if he thought the saturn version came first.
>>
>>2774658
Aw, that didn't process properly. If this doesn't work I'll just delete it or something.
>>
>>2770697

Advertising, and the fact the levels have lots of springs and ramps. Hard to blame people for thinking the game is about speed when the levels are mostly designed for that purpose.
>>
>>2774678
yeah it's like they called the character SONIC like they meant to emphasize speed or some shit. haha crazy marketers
>>
>>2774690
>>2774678
>>2770697
Okay okay, here's where I feel the misconception is made. Just because sonic *can* go fast, doesn't always mean he *should*. For beginners and certain levels' sake.
>>
The arcade Sonic games felt more like going fast due to those time limits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_NspqK0D0
>>
>>2774697

Bingo.

For the record, this anon ( >>2770849 ) sums up my feelings pretty well, except I couldn't get into Chaotix.
>>
>>2770714
As some anon said in the past, going fast in Sonic game is something you earn for mastering the game, like a reward for your hard work - not something you should do from the beginning.
>>
File: Sonic Arrow.jpg (608KB, 650x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Arrow.jpg
608KB, 650x2000px
The classic Sonic games are still amongst my favourite games of all time, I feel like Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K are nearly flawless games.

The gameplay is top notch platforming, great graphics, wonderful music... I love them.

I'm well overdue for a replay on these. It's true, the physics are the strongest point of the game, but as a kid I remember marvelling at how fast Sonic could go on certain levels (Chemical Plant zone in particular).

It was definitely a case of feeling like a reward for learning the game rather than just something you took for granted though.
>>
>>2774970
Heh, I never noticed how well designed that arrow is. Shame about metropolis being a clusterfuck of undodgeable enemies, though.
>>
>>2770697
Internet kids who never ever played the fucking game, and hate any stage in which you can not hold right for that matter (so, pretty much everything before the GBA era).
>>
>>2774974
The game becomes less enjoyable when you reach Oil Ocean.
>>
>>2775054
I remember when some people used to complain that the old Sonic games were "just holding right", now they complain that you can't just hold right. Bizarre.
>>
>>2775062
I like Oil Ocean, Metropolis, and Wing Fortress, though.

Sky Chase is pretty boring, though.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.