[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best version of the SNES, /vr/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: ConsoleRacism.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ConsoleRacism.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>
>>2770307
they're both identical except for the shells and the rf modulator. SFC needs passthrough adapter to play SNES carts because the cart slots are narrower, so SNES wins.

As far as the PCBs themselves, the 1CHIPs have the best video quality, but since the 1CHIP is literally a SOAC, there are some minor compatibility issues with some titles.

The early revision PCBs that use the detachable sound module (SHVC-CPU-01) tend to have issues with bad caps, but that's easily fixed for the most part (some of the caps are surface mount, which sucks, but not impossible to deal with).

The GPU and RGB P/N PCB revisions are probably the best to have overall, IMO. The RGB PCBs have the best video output among the non-1CHIP models.
>>
Every revision has its own quirks.
Isn't really a best. The 1chips get talked up a lot but the difference is pretty minor. Something you need to go back and froth between a 1chip and another revision to see the difference.
>>
The Super Famicom is really, really good looking and I love the colorful logo and buttons.

That said, this may be nostalgia speaking but I really dig the american SNES too. The size difference isn't as abysmal as it was with the Famicom and the NES, and I really like the color combination, the NES went for a more traditional grey/black color scheme but the SNES has purple and light grey, very stylish. The controller with the buttons on different shades of purple also look pretty good, although obviously are not as iconic as the SFC ones.

I like both for different reasons.
>>
>>2770307
These kinds of threads never end. It's like watching the same conversation over and over. I'm opting out. That's it for me. I'll never again click on a which console is better thread.
>>
>>2770342
Where do I sign up for your blog?
>>
File: SNES4.png (570KB, 565x503px) Image search: [Google]
SNES4.png
570KB, 565x503px
SNES JUNIOR
>>
SFC beautiful, SNES okayish
SFC short controller cords
PAL SNES best looking but shit hardware
>>
The NA version because of 60 HZ and the ability to play both NA and Jap games with a very simple mod.
>>
I like how people in this thread are more concerned with aesthetics and not the functionality
>>
>>2770379

what differences do they have? my US SNES can play japanese SFC games no problem.
>>
>>2770379
They're all pretty much the same unlike the megadrive. So that's all that matters. Personally I like my rgb American snes and my nes toploader. But I emulate on a plasma TV with an rgb out computer so its irrelevant
>>
European
>>
>>2770356
>The NA version because of 60 HZ
Now until now that's the most stupid argument ITT.
SFC also has 60hz, except some asian like HK version..
>>
>>2770348
It has the best RGB output
>>
1chip with the tabs clipped
>>
>>2770627
It has no RGB output without modification, or even Svideo. Further, I'm suspicious that the reports of superior RGB are result of confirmation bias. He put the effort into modding then he calibrated his monitor for it and took pictures then plugged in a 1chip with the calibration still set for the mini's levels.
>>
>>2770641
see
>>2770329
>>
>>2770382
exactly, see >>2770316
the point being that SNES can play SFC without an adapter, while SFC needs an adapter to play SNES.

that's a big enough difference to me that I'd rather have a SNES even though SFC is more aesthetically pleasing
>>
>>2770654
I ain't going back and frothing anything. My espresso machine needs its thermostats replaced anyway.

>>2770662
Well, you could widen the cartridge slot on the SFC but that would fuck up the aesthetics.
>>
>>2770675
yeah, you have to cut away a lot of the plastic on the grey trim piece and the top shell itself for SNES carts to fit. the dust flap would also be too narrow, which would leave you with disgusting gashes on either side.
>>
>>2770307
>What's the best version of the SNES
>pic with only one SNES
durpato
>>
>>2770487
I know that, but modifying the SFC to play NA carts took a bit more work than snipping a couple of tabs. The vast majority of games for the platform were programmed at 60hz, making them far more accessible on a 60hz console.
>>
Super Famicom/European SNES is far more attractive. It looks so fucking nice and it's a shame that they didn't keep that shape for America. On the plus side, American games have end labels on them, so there's that.
>>
File: yamauchi.jpg (207KB, 660x493px) Image search: [Google]
yamauchi.jpg
207KB, 660x493px
>the 1CHIP is better meme

You guys do know that the 1CHIP is essentially an "official" clone system right?

It has glitchy graphics in some games (even glitchy timers in others).

It's missing the smoothing filter, which is why games are sharper. You could say, "well sharper is better right?" yeah, but Nintendo put it there for a reason. It's gone on the 1CHIP not because Nintendo thought it would look better but to save money by removing features. Some games like Mystic Quest have HORRIBLE picture noise due to no filter.

The picture has over-bright whites, which means that black becomes gray, and white becomes eye bleeding bloom white. To be honest, this one does make some games look better, but other games look much worse due to the distorted color balance.
>>
>>2770789
>on a 60hz console.
Such as the SFC.
I play NA carts on my SFC all the time. No mods just an adapter. What you smoking dude?
>>
>>2770735
Just pretend the SFC is the regular version of the SNES, they look the same anyway.
>>
File: SNESVersionCompare09.jpg (101KB, 375x174px) Image search: [Google]
SNESVersionCompare09.jpg
101KB, 375x174px
>>2770868
>1CHIP is better meme
>>
>>2770868
Jesus christ who gives a shit. Quick measuring marios asscheek to make sure it's a perfect 5:4 and just fucking play.
>>
>>2770892
>regular version
>europoor detected
>>
>>2770916
You can get around that by turning up the contrast on your TV.

>>2770868
>It has glitchy graphics in some games (even glitchy timers in others).

Such as? People keep saying it's glitchy, but I don't remember anyone actually pointing down what games have major graphical glitches.
>>
>>2770316
>As far as the PCBs themselves, the 1CHIPs have the best video quality, but since the 1CHIP is literally a SOAC, there are some minor compatibility issues with some titles.

Such as?
>>
>>2770916
all three look like shit
>>
>>2770307
>What's the best version of the SNES

The one that does not turn into piss yellow if you leave it in the open.

Oh wait, they all do.
>>
>>2771097
>>2771123

"1) the white levels are overly bright compared to the original

2) “ghosting” of images may occur with certain backgrounds on certain monitors that have poor filtering

3) a number of games appear to have minor graphical glitches on the SNES mini though none of these seem to make any game unplayable but usually consist of random white dots appearing, upper screen visual glitches, missing shadows or warped text boxes. These games include but are not limited to

Air Strike Patrol
Treasure of the Rudras
Aladdin
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Demon’s Crest
Soul Blazer
Magical Pop’N
Super Ghouls N’ Ghosts"

https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/the-best-version-of-super-nintendo/

The no shadow issue in ASP is kind of a big deal because you use your shadow to pinpoint where to drop bombs... can't do that on 1CHIP because your shadow is basically gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JN09HDU_A

Lord Byuu's tl;dr take on the 1CHIP:
"honestly more of a clone system. There are "drastic" changes. Not so much stuff that's going to affect most games directly, but stuff that tells you the chip is radically different on the inside. Things like the SMP Timer Glitch vanishing, different behaviors of the TEST register, some DSP subtleties, the PPU being entirely different, and mid-scanline effects are totally different which affects games like A.S.P. Air Strike Patrol where the plane's shadow is almost invisible."

In most titles, the glitches manifest themselves as pixel or line glitching. ASP is the only title I know of with a significant issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBsHjJCJCUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lm0mhOhtzM

Again, minor issues, not MAJOR issues (I don't think anyone ever claims they are major, certainly no one in this thread did) but they are there, not imaginary or made up
>>
>>2771651
This shit again...
So much BS that gets parroted just because it's in a forum post. Kinda funny.
>>
>>2771689
are you fucking retarded? watch the videos, it's plain as day that there are fucking glitches.

if you don't see the shadow missing on the plane in ASP, you're blind.
>>
>>2771983
I'll let you in on a secret. All the snes revisions have quirks.
>>
>>2771985
I'll let you in on a secret. Only the 1CHIP exhibits these specific issues, specifically because all of the components were consolidated into a single chip (hence the name, aka System On A Chip).

Here's something that isn't so secret: You're fucking retarded.
>>
Super Famicom > SNES.
Famicom > NES.
These are my opinions. And no, I am not a weeaboo.
>>
>>2770349
PAL Snes has RGB mod without modding.
>>
>system on a chip

Feel free to dismiss any posts that calls it that, since anyone who calls the it that clearly doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

I'm assuming it's some kind of narrow minded agenda by some braindead individual to make the older revision sound objectively better than the other by attempting to label the 1chip revisions as "system on a chip" and making it sound like some crap clone console.

The 1chip name specifically refers to the PPU, which on older models is spread across two chips. On later board revisions the two-PPU became a single chip, but many other changes were made along the way. It would clear things up a bit if people called the older model a "2chip". Just remember that not all 2chips are the same and not all 1chips are the same.
>>
>>2772106
>has RGB mod without modding
>>
>>2772132
when did anyone claim the older revisions were objectively better? all I am seeing is people claiming the 1CHIP consoles have glitches, which is true
>>
>>2772132
the PPUs were conslidated with the CPU on all of the 1CHIP revisions as far as I can tell, along with a couple of other chips on the board

it's not just "oh they slapped the PPUs together"
>>
>>2770487
>Now until now

You're the one that sounds stupid. Glorious NTSC had 60hz for the longest time while you PAL keks were stuck playing sluggish and butchered versions of our games at 50hz.
>>
>>2772304
It's a Japanese Super Famicom in the OP.
>>
the best version is the one you're currently playing and having fun with.

forget about serial numbers and all that jazz. don't forget what gaming is really about.

if it works, it works. SNES rules!
>>
>>2772323

le upboat. :^)
>>
>>2772132
>>2772245
1CHIP consolidated CPU + PPU1 + PPU2 into one chip, and consolidated SPC700 + DSP + RAM into one chip.

So really, 1CHIP should be called 2CHIP
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.