[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: ctend.jpg (104KB, 549x791px) Image search: [Google]
ctend.jpg
104KB, 549x791px
Is it right?
>>
No.
>>
>>2769828
God no.

It's one of the least capativating RPGs in existence. Pure babby-tier

Chrono Cross on the other hand stamped on my heartstrings more times than I can count
>>
>>2769830
When did /vr/ become so pointlessly contrarian? Come on now, it's well established CT had a great story and CC's story was pretty much the weakest part of the game.
>>
>>2769834
That being said the image in OP is stupid, it defeats its own argument: the game doesn't have enough character development to make me care about any of them. The only one who really developed was Janus/Magus.
>>
>>2769828
It's true, but not in the case of Trigger, the only thing that makes it emotional is Mitsuda's music, try playing it without music, you'll see how bland the game is.
>>2769834
>Come on now, it's well established CT had a great story and CC's story was pretty much the weakest part of the game.
Maybe for blind Trigger fans.
>>
>>2769828
It's subjective.
>>
>>2769836
Magus, Frog have a lot of character development by video game standard
It's not like you're going to read a book either, it's just a game and each characters are fun.

What makes Chrono good is the art style and the feeling of adventure.
>>
>>2769837
>Maybe for blind Trigger fans.
Har. Har. We've been through this dance before on /vr/ How can you defend such CC plot points as

>The Mastermune
>The Porre invasion ever being a thing
>Lavos becoming the Time Devourer instead of just dying in the first game
and, the big one:
>Balthazar's multi-thousand-year "just as planned" gambit
>>
>>2769875
I mean when time travel is involved fucking anything can happen.
>>
>>2769834
>it's well established CT had a great story
If you consider a great story to be some of the most one-dimensional plotlines in a video game, then sure.
>>
>>2769875
>How can you defend fantastic plot points
It's a mystery.
>>
>>2769830
Chrono Cross was a great game, but its story is awful.
>>
>>2769904
>If you consider a great story to be some of the most one-dimensional plotlines in a video game, then sure.
If you consider a great argument to be one of the most overused, generic critical statements, then sure.
>>
File: 1445287518468.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1445287518468.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>2769904
>one-dimensional
>plot includes fourth dimensional travel
>>
>>2769828
I'm gonna say it's completely wrong on multiple counts
"very little character development or interaction?"
Justify this statement. Chrono is a mute? Literally every party member has their own story arc.
>>
>>2769828
For it's time there was quite a lot of character development and interaction. I loved just changing up the party and seeing what each one would say in a certain situation.
>>
>>2769875
>The Mastermune
Same as the Masamune? What's to defend here?
>>The Porre invasion ever being a thing
>>Lavos becoming the Time Devourer instead of just dying in the first game
Maybe if you actually read the game you would learn that Cross' timeline is an alternate dimension and not a direct sequel to Trigger, it's a completely detached timeline from the original that doesn't invalidate anything from the Trigger line since they're barely related at all, it's literally a what if Scenario.
Miguel already tell you that when you see Marle and Chrono's ghosts, that was a past that didn't exist, they're visions from a deleted timeline which is the same timeline that Cross ties into.
>>Balthazar's multi-thousand-year "just as planned" gambit
What's there to explain? It was a gambit just as you said, thanks to the Deus Ex Machina and terrible game design Balthazar won and Cross happened, if the game would have been better you could have had a scenario when said gambit didn't pay off(which you can have in a way) and have an alternate route, but Trigger is pretty much the exact same on this.

How are you going to defend Trigger's time travel paradoxes?
Because you know, nothing in Trigger makes any sense since you literally start in a present that doesn't exist due to your actions in the past, the game's plot croaks the very moment you make 2+2 about simple a cause and effect relationship, at least Cross elegantly gets away with it due to being loldimensiontravel, but Trigger is by far the worst offender in asking you to suspend your disbelief through the whole game.
>>
it's not. even dunald duck goin' quackers is as emotional as this game
>>
I can't think of a single moment in Chrono Trigger that made me really feel "emotional" at all. It's a very simple story with not a lot going on for it beyond fun characters who admittedly don't get a lot of development, and a nice adventure premise.

I mean, I like the game, but holding it up as some kind of shining example of storytelling is silly. You can think whatever you want about modern video games, but narratives and the way that they are told only improved as games left the 16-bit era.
>>
>>2769828
>very little character development or interaction
>more emotional than most games made since
>>
>>2769828

It's kind of emotional, but there's plenty of other games that do a better job with story. Even on the SNES, EarthBound was better at sucking you into the game. Like >>2769837 said, the music was probably the most emotional part.

CT is still an excellent game that, like EarthBound, is overrated and has a shitty fan base.
>>
>>2769828
Oh boy, better rev up those opinions
>>
>>2769834

/vr/ is still part of the internet in 2015, you can't escape contrarianism and dank memes.

Also, what's the average age of 4chan users? 20-25, right? Those people grew up with 5th gen with luck, likely 6th gen.
>>
Quit arguing guys! You're triggering me.
>>
>>2770443
Chrono Triggered
>>
>>2769830
Chrono Cross was the definition of shit. Even when it was first released it was already considered one of the worst games ever made.
>>
>>2769828
Chrono Trigger is my favorite game and I'd never say this.
The games way more of a feel-good Dragon Ball adventure than something trying to tug at your heart strings.

The Mother series or Terranigma or something would have been a better example.
>>
>>2769828
CT has:
Superb graphics and sound
Likeable characters
No random encounters
And that's all. It still manages to be the best JRPG on the SNES, which shows how low the genre standards are.
>>
>>2770523
Or maybe really shows how low your standards are.
>>
>>2770492

By who? Chrono Trigger fanboys? The magazine scores for it at the time are all on the very high-end side of things
>>
>>2770535
"Best" does not imply good.
>>
>>2770538
But implies that you have no knowledge at all of the SNES JRPG library and/or that you suffer from severe shit taste.
>>
>>2770541
What's better? FFV? Lufia 2? They might require a little thought, but they are still laughably simplistic compared to action games.
>>
>>2770546
>What's better?
Romancing SaGa 2/3
Treasure of the Rudras
Dark Law
Seiken Densetsu 3
Cyber Knight 2
Shiren The Wanderer
Metal Max 2/Metal Max Returns
Traverse-Starlight&Prairie
Bounty Sword
Solid Runner

And nobody's talking about action games, this is a JRPG thread.
>>
>>2770561
SD3 is an action RPG
Shiren is a roguelike

Both are better than CT, but not JRPGs
>>
>>2769828
No.

I mean, I thought it was cool as a kid, and the setting was interesting, but honestly, Far Cry 3 gave me more emotional response than this game ever could.

Also, the fanboys are full of shit, the game does NOT have 50 endings, that's a massive exaggeration and it's entirely misconstrued.
>>
Not very emotional, but it was a fun story.
>>
The art, music, and large variety of settings (all of which were interesting) is what made the game immersive. Immersion is what makes you emotional about anything in a game. Without immersion it's just pixels flashing on a screen, code running a script, and pressing a few plastic buttons.

The hero could be mute and the plot paper thin and none of that matters if you do the aesthetics correctly.
>>
>>2769828
The part where Lucca gets to go back in time and prevent her mom from getting crippled gave me pretty big feels when I replayed it as an adult.
>>
>>2769828
Absolutely, largely because of this though
>>2769837
>>
>>2769837
Cross' Story wasn't bad but far too all over the place, it felt too convoluted at various points.
>>
>>2769837
?? Any RPG would be bland without music.
>>
>>2770725
Counterexample - Wizardry 4 (and most early RPGs).
And remember that both novels and traditional roguelikes lack music but can still be highly entertaining, so that's both story and turn based combat working well without music.
>>
>>2770725
Shadow Tower says hi.
>>
>>2769834
>single posts represent the opinion of the entire board
>there are correct opinions, contrarian opinions and nothing else

You're the cancer that killed this site.
>>
Share if it's part of your childhood xD
>>
>>2770523
>best rpg on the snes
Mario RPG would like to have a word with you
>>
DQ5 was more emotional with even less fancy storytelling
>>
>>2771356
You're right. I completely forgot about it because it's not a stereotypical JRPG.
>>
>>2770536
>By who? Chrono Trigger fanboys?

By tirgger fanboys too retarded to understand even the basic plot

>MUH TRIGGUR HEROES R DED ND TEH FUTUAR IS RUINAD
>>
>>2769830
you didn't like frogs loyalty to his dead friend cyrus? Don't you have any concept of brotherhood or are you a fucking bitch?
>>
>>2769828
The whole game has less text than a children's novel. What ever emotions that aren't explicitly shown or stated in the game are merely imagined by the player.
>>
>>2771941
what ones would be imagined by the player? pretty sure if its not stated its probably being displayed on screen so that doesn't really leave much opportunity left to feel anything else.
>>
>>2769828
Yes.
>>
>>2771308
I don't think contrarian means wrong, it's just contrary to the majority.
>>
CT is a really good JRPG, and it's what I would recommend to anyone looking to get into the genre.

The reason being is that I think it establishes a good baseline by which to judge other JRPGs. It's not the best, it's not the worst.

If anything about CT stands out, it's the pacing. It's a relatively short game, especially in genre where the norm is 60-80 hours. It never dwells too long on any one story point. You can usually get to the next story thing even if you just play an hour at a time. There's also very little filler.

The characters are also noteworthy. No, they don't have a ton of depth, but each character has just a little backstory and a reason to join Chrono in the adventure. Also, none of the characters ever feel extraneous.

I don't think it's the best JRPG of all time, or even the best on the SNES. But it has a nice simplicity to it while still being pretty fun to play if you're experienced in the genre.
>>
>>2769836
Character development, which in games usually means lots of artless and heavy-handed writing, isn't what makes you care about a character.
>>
Oh, it's this thread again.
>>
I always feel uncomfortable when I see people trying to defend the mess that was CC story.
But I must admit some (few) areas and their music where top tier.
>>
>>2775986

I just mentally replace CC with Radical Dreamers in my personal canon and all is right with the world.

>>2770561

>Seiken Densetsu 3

Hated the writing for that one. Markedly formulaic and artificial.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.