[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Atari Jaguar General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Atari-Jaguar-Console-Set.jpg (2MB, 3860x1660px) Image search: [Google]
Atari-Jaguar-Console-Set.jpg
2MB, 3860x1660px
Can we have an Atari Jaguar thread? I've never owned one for real, and it's been years since I've emulated, but from what I've seen of it on YouTube some of its games are actually pretty impressive for 1993 tech. Now, I've heard it has an overall shitty library, but it can't be THAT bad if it has decent versions of Tempest 2000, Wolf3D, and Rayman.

Also, how far along has Jag emulation come in the last few years? Last emu I used was Project Tempest, and it didn't even work with half the games I tried with it.
>>
>Can we have an Atari Jaguar thread?
its because very few people have actually played on one. All you are going to get are a bunch of AVGN parroted opinions
>>
Nothing, eh? Not even an inane "where did you learn to fly?" comment.
>>
Had a pretty good port of Doom, probably the best console version of Doom until the PS version (I hesitate to call Doom 64 a port because it's basically it's own game).

Lacks the music, but other than that it has most of the Game.

Has a kickass port of Wolfenstein 3D.

The CD addon was shit and really the only part of the console which can't in some way be defended.
>>
>>2765639
Borrowed one from a friend in 2000. He had some really shit fighting game, really shit motocross game, AvP which was decent, DOOM which was good, and Wolfenstein which I played the most. The controller is shit tier and really the graphics are too. Friend said theres a Rayman thsts good but it went on the CD expansion he didn't have anymore. I think Atari fucked themselves like N64 did by using cartridges. Also standards were way too high and if they'd gone with 32 bit and made really quality games, undercutting the cost of Saturn, PS and nintendo, they'd have had a stable market.
During this era a lot of people dropped gaming due to the cost and the experimentalness of games. I did, it was a shock going from NES/SNES release of a system and 2 controllers and a game to one controller no game and no way to save out of thr box, at 4 times tge initial investment.

Oh well. Now we're stuck with mobile games.
>>
File: flipout-cover.jpg (83KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
flipout-cover.jpg
83KB, 600x848px
I remember having fun with Flip Out, Brutal Football, and Attack of the Mutant Penguins But the Highlander being one of the worst games i've ever played
>>
Every time I'm feeling down, I remind myself that some people grew up on the Atari Jaguar, and I instantly feel better.
>>
File: virtuallightmachine.png (169KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
virtuallightmachine.png
169KB, 640x480px
>>2766083
>The CD addon was shit and really the only part of the console which can't in some way be defended.

I take it you never put a music CD in there.
>>
File: s_AlienVsPredator_5.jpg (43KB, 640x433px) Image search: [Google]
s_AlienVsPredator_5.jpg
43KB, 640x433px
this one almost made me buy a jaguar

luckily there was a much better AVP game from tejh same devs out on PC just a few years later
>>
That reminds me I need to make a dentist appointment
>>
>>2766127
>AvP
Aw yeah, forgot about that one.

>>2766334
I meant more that how they would almost always break when trying to run.

The CD motor wouldn't be able to spin the disc freely because the lid clamped down too hard, so the motor would break, this was a very common problem and it's not unusual to find one which is broken. There was also some degree of connectivity issues.
It's undefendable because it was a shoddy piece of hardware.

Say what you want about the Jaguar itself, the thing works, a large percentage of the CD addons did not.
>>
>>2765639
>it can't be THAT bad if it has decent versions of Tempest 2000, Wolf3D, and Rayman.
yeah, when the list ends there and only gets worse
>inb4 avp and doom
yeah they're ok, but like anon said above the pc version of AVP is way better.

I even own a jaguar and I think it sucks, but I got mine for free so whatever
>>
I'd say that the Jag and the Lynx are Atari's best
>>
>>2765647
I've owned one. The game pad does suck, and whatever the stock game that comes with it with the floating green head is terrible, but there are some decent games on it. Tempest is a classic, and I enjoyed Busby 3 even though it was hard as hell. Great Rayman 1 port too.
>>
>>2766779
>lynx
At least you could see the game you're playing on a Jaguar
>>
>>2765639
>I've never owned one for real
Did you own one in your imagination of something? It's a mediocre system with a piss poor library. It truly is THAT bad.
>>
>>2765639

Only faggot idiots bought this crap over the glorious PlayStation.

Go fuck yourself Atari cunt.
>>
>>2767564
It's not as good of a system, that's true, but despite a poor library, being a really fucking strange system to develop for, bad controllers, and a worthless CD unit, I cant help but feel there's something oddly appealing about it.
>>
Coming from somone who actually owned a jaguar in 1994 it really wasn't bad at the time. It really could of gone somewhere if it came out a couple years earlier, it just really got btfo when ps1/saturn came around.
>>
>>2766380
haha
>>
Jaguar is a pretty impressive 2D system, definitely more powerful than genesis and snes. Of course it wasn't really all that much more powerful than a 32x, but it tried.
>>
>>2765639
Iron soldier looks pretty good.
>>
>>2767743
Honestly metal head on 32x or gungriffon on Saturn are pretty much the same game but more fleshed out. Iron soldier isn't a bad game but it sort of just feels like a tech demo of the same concept.
>>
>>2767564
OP here, buying one over a Playstation would've been bloody stupid, but like this anon pointed out, the system does indeed have a strange charm.
>>2767581
>>
>>2767881
>>2767581
It definitely has a character and appeal all its own. I think the problem with the jaguar was that it made the same mistake as the 5200 and the 7800, which is that it tried to replicate arcade games and not really try to do anything new or unique to the home console market, which is what ps1 and 64 ended up doing. Of course a lot of this may have just been a product of the time it was being developed. It used games like doom as a benchmark for what console technology should be, rather than the immersive story driven 3D games that would come to define the generation. Games like cybermorph and iron soldier had a lot of great ideas but they were just a couple years too early and ended up playing like tech demos rather than full games. I think had it been easier to program for, there might have been a larger library of impressive 2D games. Stuff in the same vein as castlevania symphony of the night or mischief makers would have worked really well on jaguar. Or more shmups, jaguar has great potential for shmups but instead we just got a taste of good with raiden and defender 2000 and then fucking godawful with Trevor mcfur.
>>
>>2766374

Bet it wasn't as creepy, though.
>>
>>2771243
AvP Gold was fucking creepy
>>
A neighborhood friend had one.

He really liked Doom on it, but I liked the PC version of Doom better because you could edit the PC version (I didn't care about the music thing). He also had AvP, which I liked better. The last game he had for it was Cybermorph, which neither of us liked. Eventually, he got Rayman, which was really good.

Other than that, we really didn't play much else on the system because it was not easy to rent games for the system. I think the only place that rented them out for us was Blockbuster, but Blockbuster was an hour away and you needed a membership (and membership cost money as I remember).
>>
>>2765639
thing looked like a phone
>>
>>2767564
>Only faggot idiots bought this crap over the glorious PlayStation.

It came out 2 years before the Playstation, youngsempai
>>
>>2771243
the creepy thing about it was the framerate.
>>
>>2771270

AVGN meymeys
>>
>>2771294
Not that guy, but how is that AVGN? It's got a damn phone keypad on it, right down to the # and *. I noticed that like a good decade before AVGN even existed.

Your face is a meymey, son.
>>
>>2767550

He emulated it. He said that in the second half of the same sentence.
>>
Is there ANY good emulator for this thing yet?

I'd like to see first hand what the games were like BEFORE I decide whether or not to drop real world cash on it.

A friend had one when I was little, but I don't recall much very clearly outside of Kasumi Ninja, Ultra Vortek, and some minor tidbits about Trevor McFur and some other pinball game.
>>
Virtual Jaguar is okay. It has plenty of flaws but decent compatibility. It's based upon code glued together from various sources and I seem to recall there being serious issues with licensing that has been ignored altogether. The current maintainer is a bit of an idiot in more ways than one and last I checked the project had fallen into the Yabause trap where all the incremental updates are almost purely UI related.

A few years back VJ was making okay progress again which in turn caused the author of Jagulator to reappear and start work on his emulator again. After months of teasers the guy announced he was getting married and would be back with a massive update in two weeks. That was four years ago, and also at least the third time he'd pulled something like this.
>>
I own one, and I beat a few games on it like doom and the predator mission of AVP.

I think the worst of the games I played was Zool 2, which is a game based around candy?

anyway with AVP being the best on the system, it sure was lacking in both fun and music and the end boss fight with the alien queen was nothing more than running in a circle backwards while shooting the shoulder cannon (after you clear out all the eggs of course).

I only have a handful of games but I can say it's a 4/10 system when compared to the PC engine or even the master system.
>>
OP here, what keeps the Jaguar from having a decent emulator? Is it the lack of good games and its complicated architecture?
>>
>>2771950
Sounds about right.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.