[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sanwa VS Happ sticks. Pros, cons, general discussion.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: Sticks.png (2MB, 2296x1308px) Image search: [Google]
Sticks.png
2MB, 2296x1308px
Sanwa VS Happ sticks.

Pros, cons, general discussion.
>>
>>2372616

Sanwa if you want accuracy and stability for fighting games

Seimitsu if you want accuracy and stability for shmups and/or platformers

Happ / IL if you hate accuracy or tight feel and would rather have the stick value durability over all other features.
>>
File: chart.png (38KB, 696x516px) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
38KB, 696x516px
>>2372616
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/attributes_brands.html
>>
>>2372625
I have some seimitsu parts (stick and buttons) incoming for my Saturn stick... Maybe I should've have chosen Sanwa buttons instead of Seimitsu though. Fortunately I got them extremely cheap (150 yen per button), so I might replace them in the future, provided they fit in the case.
>>
>>2372625
Is there an all around option?
Say I'm playing Street Fighter 2, and I want to play Ghosts 'n Goblins right after, then play a game of Berzerk (MAME cabinet), Should I go Sanwa or Seimitsu?
>>
>>2372645
Whatever you value more should make the decision. Either Sanwa or Seimitsu will do fine for what isn't their strongest point, it just won't be the optimal configuration. Some people even prefer one variety for all their games, just because they have a consistent feel of the stick.

Alternatively, there's also Crown sticks, which are designed for Tekken, that can also fit the bill for both fighters and twitch response games.
>>
I personally prefer an LS-32 with a ball-top. This is because I like to hold gently during inputs and release my grip to allow the stick to spring back to neutral instead of guide it like I must with a Sanwa (because not springy and too slow for me) or Happ (way too springy and will often overshoot neutral and input opposite directions). It's the lazy-man's stick, and I am nothing if not lazy.

But the truth in the end is that it doesn't matter much. And if you're willing to sink in the time to git gud on any stick, then those skills will largely carry over with very little adjustment required.
>>
>>2372616
How easily do the good ones break, though? I want to build a MAME stick, and I don't really play fighters, so I don't need a ton of precision, and I do tend to jerk the stick fairly hard when I play Bomb Jack, Ms. Pac Man, or anything fast like that. At the same time, some precision would be nice. What would you guys recommend?
>>
>>2372715
If you want an authentic american arcade experience, go with Industrias Lorenzo, like the eurostick. They'll do just fine as they have since the dawn of american arcades, but they may not reach the level of precision some hardcore players look for.
>>
>>2372724
Wow, those are much cheaper than other sticks I've seen. And having a real arcade feel like you say will be really cool, especially for my dad. Thanks, anon!
One more quick question: do you know what's a good paddle to get, like one of those small metal ones on Arkanoid?
>>
>>2372645
>Is there an all around option?
I'd vote for the Seimitsu LS-32. It was standard in a lot of Sega arcade cabinets back in the 90s and it's still serviceable for fighting games.
>>
>>2372810
How does that one compare to the LS-56-01?
>>
>>2372743
There are only a few that are sold, and they're all pretty expensive. Turbotwist is a popular name I can recall off the top of my head, and I'm not kidding, haha.
>>
>>2372810
What makes The LS-32 less desirable for fighting games than a Sanwa?
>>
I like the Crown 303-FK and Seimitsu buttons or Sanwa everything
>>
>>2372906
The low resistance, higher range of movement, and well spaced engage points make the Sanwa JLF optimal for fighters in general.

Seimitsu's LS-32 is a bit stiffer and quicker, with a shorter range of motion, which lends it a bit less strength in creating a flawless feel for shoryukens.
>>
>>2372914
I prefer to be deliberate with my movements, so the LS-32 sounds better for fighting games for me.
Are there any octagonal gates available for it? If so, how are they?
>>
>>2372906

This quote from SlagCoin covers it pretty well.

>A huge part of choosing a joystick can be the category of games for which you are using it. The main factor is whether or not momentary wrong directions are a big deal. Since most fighting games (like Street Fighter and Tekken) use a quick series of directions for commands, the Sanwa JLF model is the most commonly recommended joystick for them for its well-spaced engage points. Shmups (short for shoot’em ups like 1942 and Gradius) tend to prefer a smaller deadzone for quicker movements and are not sensitive to split-second wrong movements, Seimitsu LS-32 most commonly recommended for them. For 4-way games (like Pac-Man), the JLF does not work well because diagonals are very hittable, so look to the JLW or a Seimitsu model. For other game categories, a well-rounded joystick (usually with short engage distances) should do well. Again, the emphasis is whether or not split-second wrong directions are a problem in choosing the proper joystick for the given game.
>>
>>2372957
LS-32 it is then.

On a separate note, I'm looking for trackballs, and all I've seen are ones from Happ and X-arcade. Any that you recommend?
>>
Happ too stiff.
Sanwa too loose.
Seimitsu too tight.

Take your pick kid. I'm a LS-32 type of guy.
>>
>>2372847

Well, the LS-56 is from their "compact" line of sticks so the LS-32 is bigger under the hood. As for performance the 56 has a heavier spring and the throw distance is a little further. So, not quite as tight and twitchy. I think Sega put them in some models of their Saturn Virtua Sticks.
>>
>>2372962
>On a separate note, I'm looking for trackballs, and all I've seen are ones from Happ and X-arcade. Any that you recommend?

Sorry, I don't have the first clue about trackballs.
>>
File: SEIMITSU_LS_56_01.jpg (44KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
SEIMITSU_LS_56_01.jpg
44KB, 768x768px
>>2372847
This would be a good time to remind folks that a Seimitsu stick that ends in -01 uses a wiring harness.
>>
File: SEIMITSU_LS_56.jpg (51KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
SEIMITSU_LS_56.jpg
51KB, 768x768px
>>2372998
If it doesn't end in -01 then you'll have to manually connect the signal and ground wires to each switch.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.