[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quake II

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: quake00.jpg (380KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
quake00.jpg
380KB, 640x480px
Why do the explosions in this game look so goofy? In fact, everything in this game looks silly. Was that a design choice?
>>
It's because they're 3D.
>>
File: flashblend.webm (2MB, 640x480px)
flashblend.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>2288536
>>
>>2288547
I always used gl_flashblend 1.
and gl_modulate 5, intensity 4. No doubt did permanent damage to my vision with those settings.
>>
>>2288547
wait, what's the difference?
>>
>>2289883
Eh, really?
gl_flashblend 0 = lighting on the walls and floors, etc. near the light sources. Dynamic lighting, in other words.
gl_flashblend 1 = balls of light surrounding light sources, not actually affecting surfaces. Watch the video again and you'll clearly see what I mean now you know what to look for, though I can't imagine how you missed it!
>>
>>2290020
Not him but I was specifically looking for a difference in the appearance of the explosion. Totally missed it until I read the difference and then it became obvious.
>>
>>2288547
Why not have both?

Id didn't really seem to try with Quake 2's engine. Not many improvements over GLQuake. Not until Id Tech 3 did they really squeeze the graphics out of OpenGL cards.
>>
I can't stop replaying this game and its expansion packs.

It's come to a point where I am obsessing about it and even making fan-fiction.

I really want there to be a Quake-game that combines Quake 1 and Quake 2 because there are vague hints in the games that they are connected.

Quake 4 was not the Quake I wanted, so I will pretend it didn't happen.
>>
>>2290759
>Quake-game that combines Quake 1 and Quake 2
you can't really mix the two
quake 1 is a more random-episodic game
quake 2 is a more linear-but-continuous game
>>
>>2288536
Because it was one of the first fully polygonal first person shooters, and they wanted to show off.

I liked Quake 1 explosions. Just a sprite fireball and some particle effects. Simple, but it got the point across.

Quake 2's mushroom clouds are visually distracting and just stupid looking.
>>
If John Romero was involved in the game, the explosions would be shaped like his face.
>>
I never thought they looked that goofy at all

>>2288536
>was that a design choice
You know, there was once a time where artists did not have unlimited polygons to work with. I'm not sure how a chaingun ripping people up at mach speed can appear silly.
>>
Quake 2 multiplayer is still very alive. And very competitive.

Come play you fucks.
>>
People complained that Quake 1 was too brown
So they made Quake 2 too orange
I prefer Quake 1 easily
>>
>>2290798
That's not the point, the point is the lore.
>>
>>2291478
Haha. It died after q3. Sure, it went for a long time, and I didn't stop.until maybe 2005? But it's totally dead now. Dead in na, dead in western europe.... deluded, now go do q2dm1 mh jump
>>
>>2292123
I was gonna make a joke about the edge in your post but then I decided against it.
>>
The worst thing about 1997 and 1998 shooters was developers blurring textures by default when they were still very low res. Half-Life, Quake II and Unreal look way better with sharp pixels, Quake I-style.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1312x1652px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1312x1652px
>>2294534
subjective
>>
>>2294618
640x480 nearest looks best imo
>>
>>2292123
Stop telling lies, NA has the most players online at any time of the day. NA DM hits a max of 16 players at least once a day, normally sits at 10-16. CTF gets even busier than that at close to 11:00pm EST. Also tons of duel tourney players as well as mod/bot servers.

>Go do mh jump
Go do aero ra jump without rocks. If you think doing edge mh jump is something to be proud of then you are in for a rude awakening.
>>
>>2294854
to be fair the 1280x960 screens could use anti-aliasing/smoothing for scaling down (or no scaling and double the other resolutions)
>>
Was there ever made a Q2-TC of Q4 or a Q4-TC of Q2 or am I completely mistaken here?

I think I believe that one Quake-game got converted to another, but this was so many years ago I struggle to find anything but shitty imgur-links on the internets.
>>
>>2290759
I would rather quake 2-4 kept the hp Lovecraft theme q1 did well.
>>
it looked state of the art when it came out, there was nothing even remotely close
it looks goofy now but back then it was all we had
>>
>>2296172
Eh, nothing like what you're describing but the original Generations mod did include the entire shareware episode of Quake, textures and all, ported to Quake 2 sans e1m6. The textures were one of the reasons the mod got Napster'd.
>>
>>2296178
But I really, really, really enjoyed the brutal cyborg-technology and setting in Quake 2. I'd like to see Stroggified versions of the Quake 1 monsters. I even drew a Stroggified Shambler that got reposted on the Quake-page on Facebook.

>>2296476
Interesting, I'll check it out.
>>
>>2296172
Quake 1 had a very good mod that made your character the same as in Q2. Jump physics, sounds, weapons and all.

There was a Q2 TC for Doom 3 i believe. Might have been called lost marine, i forget. Wasn't really remaking quake 2, was more a continuation of the style.
>>
File: 1408972476105.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1408972476105.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
>>2296535
>Stroggified Shambler
post it
>>
>>2296178
A hundred million times - THIS.
>>
>>2288536
I thought that was one of the strong points of the game. I've always found texture billboards really distasteful.
>>
File: shamblified.jpg (232KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
shamblified.jpg
232KB, 1536x2048px
>>2296887
Damn the facebook page is hard to navigate. Fuck facebook for being so shit.
>>
File: c-ss03.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
c-ss03.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
>>2296535
Good luck finding it, Id Software went all cease and disist so the mod was taken down from just about everywhere.

But you know the fuck what, I'm feeling generous and willing to sacrifice two or three minutes of my life. I'm gonna upload it for you. No, for everyone!

So, everyone pay attention: Generations is an awesome mod for Quake2 that allows you to play as the Quake 1 Guy, Doomguy and Wolfenstien Guy classes with the weapons from those games in Quake 2, or as a Quake 2 player in Quake 1 or Doom maps. The mod includes most of episode 1 of Quake (with Quake 1 monsters even) and Dooms E2M8 with a cyberdemon in it and a MIDI track to go with it.

And here it is: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=50177491665650129674

Play it, you owe it to yourselves.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.