[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Contra Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: Contra_-_Hard_Corps_Coverart.png (192KB, 250x355px) Image search: [Google]
Contra_-_Hard_Corps_Coverart.png
192KB, 250x355px
Let's talk Contra.

>What's the best Contra game?
>What Contra games does everyone HAVE to play?
>To use the code or not?
>Fond memories of Contra.
>Personal best Contra achievements. Ever 1cc a Contra game? Ever speedrun one?

To be honest, the only Contra games I've played are Contra on the NES and pic related. I guess I should go Super C next.
>>
>>1804452
>I guess I should go Super C next

yeah you really should man. I prefer hard corps to alien wars.

>fond memories
finding a copy of probotector on the west coast of canada.
>>
Super C

Super C, maybe Contra III

>To use the code or not?
Of course not.

>Personal best Contra achievements.
Only a couple deaths hard mode Contra III I guess.

>Ever 1cc a Contra game?
All but that Game Boy game.
>>
>>1804452
>>What's the best Contra game?
4 by far. but since this is /vr/ I say Hard Corps

>>What Contra games does everyone HAVE to play?

1 and Hard Corps because they're probably the easiest (hard corps depending on what path you take). I would say 3 but the top down levels are horrid

>>To use the code or not?

why would you even consider it

>>Fond memories of Contra.

Beating 1 for the first time with a bro

>>Personal best Contra achievements. Ever 1cc a Contra game? Ever speedrun one?

I beat all the challanges in contra 4.
>>
>>1804452
>Best Contra?
Kind of torn between Super C and Hard Corps. Two different flavors, two great tastes.
>>
>>1804570
>I would say 3 but the top down levels are horrid
I know this gets said in EVERY Contra thread but I really wish these didn't exist, they're just so unfun. Even a code or a menu option to play with/without them would have been awesome.
>>
>>1804683
The gimmick levels sucks in every Contra. That's why games like Gunforce, Elevator Action Returns, and Metal Slug are better.
>>
>>1804452
>Best Contra
Hard Corps imo.

>Contra everybody HAVE to play.
All of them.

>Code or not
I was always bad at button sequences so not, that's also the reason I don't play a lot of fighting games.

Phew, I don't know there's some memories but not something specially relevant.

>Personal achievements.
I can 1cc -only one life actually- every route in Hard Corps if I use Fang, his D-weapon is the most OP thing ever and it's a fucking badass cyborg wolf with blue jeans!

Contra is one of the first games I played on a console and it's hands down my favorite franchise made by Konami.
>>
>>1804689
>gimmick levels sucks in every Contra
Yeah. Which is one of the reasons Hard Corps is up at the top. But, I like the feel of the NES Contras and Super C has the least annoying gimmick stages, so that's my pick as the best one.
>>
>>1804783
>Which is one of the reasons Hard Corps is up at the top.
I'd agree if Hard Corps wasn't so awkwardly paced. As it is it just sort of cancels out the good.
>>
File: a-blz2.jpg (253KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
a-blz2.jpg
253KB, 1200x800px
>>1804452
Contra III
The NES version of Contra, Super C, Contra III and Hard Corps are the definite games in the series for me. Throw in Operation C too.
>To use the code or not?
Only poseurs used the code.
Getting Super C on my seventh birthday. It was the first game in the series I've owned.
I did a deathless run of Contra III on Hard mode once when I was a teen. I've also completed the arcade Contra without losing a life on the hardest setting possible. I tried to do the same with Super Contra, but it's pretty fucking hard.
>>
File: damn trees.png (13KB, 224x288px) Image search: [Google]
damn trees.png
13KB, 224x288px
>>1805718
How do I get good at Super Contra?
>>
File: 18418801.jpg (346KB, 850x1118px) Image search: [Google]
18418801.jpg
346KB, 850x1118px
>>1805724
For one thing, you can increase the height of your jumps by holding the joystick up or down while pressing jump. You can also enhance the firepower of your weapon by picking up the same power-up twice in a row. The enhanced version of the Machine Gun is the best weapon in the game

Other than that, it's really all about rote memorization and knowing where the enemies will show up. Stage 4 has some really cheap spawn points due to its multi-level layout.
>>
>>1805740
Also is the upgraded laser or bomb shot worth surviving against impossible odds to get them?

Spread shot seems better than upgraded machine gun.
>>
>>1805740
That guy at the top looks really familiar.
>>
File: 18113901.jpg (795KB, 850x1147px) Image search: [Google]
18113901.jpg
795KB, 850x1147px
>>1805743
>Also is the upgraded laser or bomb shot worth surviving against impossible odds to get them?
Not from my experience. The Laser sucks since you can only shoot one beam at a time and the enhanced version simply makes the beam longer. You can't even cancel your shots like in the original Contra.

The enhanced Bomb Gun causes larger explosions that spreads in four directions instead of just two.
>Spread shot seems better than upgraded machine gun.
The regular can shoot up to three spreads of three bullets each, while the enhanced version can shoot two five-bullet spreads, which makes its firing rate a bit slower. Since most of the sub-bosses require multiple shots
>>
>>1805764
>Since most of the sub-bosses require multiple shots
...the enhanced machine gun is the best for most situations. The spread gun is only good when surrounded by enemies in the overhead stages.
>>
>>1805764
I always need flame/bomb shot in the NES version at the final stage with that ceiling that tries to crush you while enemies spawn within it. Does the bomb gun help there in the arcade version too?
>>
>>1805740
This will sound really dumb, but any advice on improving memorization?

Should I just make flash cards or record myself playing and watch it back?
>>
>>1805776
>This will sound really dumb, but any advice on improving memorization?
You could use save states or credit-feed to practice on sections that are giving you problem and then go for a proper 1CC later on.
>>
>>1805781
I was thinking about coming up with a mnemonic to remember my route.Hmm...
>>
Is it just me, or has there been more interest in Contra in the past month? Neat.

Hard Corps by far

Hard Corps

>To use the code or not?
I'm awful at it, so yes

Some of those monster designs used to give me nightmares, disgusting as shit

Nope
>>
File: LET'S PARTY MOTHERFUCKER.jpg (22KB, 525x323px) Image search: [Google]
LET'S PARTY MOTHERFUCKER.jpg
22KB, 525x323px
Hard Corps, so much replay value

Anything not named "Contra Force," "C: The Contra Adventure," or "Contra: Legacy of War"

>To use the code or not?
No need. I can do fine without it.

Beating Hard Corps when I was a child, which was a time when beating hard games was rare for me.

1CCed all the classic Contras except for Super Contra for the arcade (haven't played that one much). Also 1CCed the first two NES Contras without powerups.
>>
>>1806115
>Also 1CCed the first two NES Contras without powerups.
Bullshit. How do you deal with the Fuck You Truck?
>>
>>1806123
Get as close as you can, lay down, and mash fire.
>implying you even need to kill it
Even if you screw up, there should still be more of you than there are those trucks.
>>
>>1804452
1) Contra 3 no question

2) The original

3) Only if you can't get far

4) Spread gun

5) 1CC the original by the skin of my teeth
>>
>>1806258
Oh... Thought that read one-lifed for some reason.
>>
>>1804532
>All but that Game Boy game.
That's the only i have 1cc'd.... so far.
>>
>>1806258
This. There's a spot where the truck can't shoot you than you can lay down on. It also helps to have a fast finger.
>>
>>1805748
I swear the guy on the bottom was in a short circuit movie
>>
I've never beaten a Contra and feel bad about it, so I'm going to marathon them all in order. Should I go 1, Super, III, and then Hard Corps? What about Force and the other ones?
>>
>>1811103
That order sounds fine to me.
Ignore Contra Force. Contra GB is basically Super C diet with some C3/CF elements.
>>
>>1811103
Don't miss out on Contra 4 and shattered soldier, even though they're not retro they capture the spirit of the series perfectly.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.