[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is mystery dungeon more deep than mainline games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: 1505443041795.png (331KB, 517x772px) Image search: [Google]
1505443041795.png
331KB, 517x772px
This dialogues shits all over sun and moon dialogues and cut scenes
>>
>>33550899
Didn't Mewtwo already say that?
>>
File: 148739424023.png (31KB, 150x165px) Image search: [Google]
148739424023.png
31KB, 150x165px
That's just a butchered version of Mewtwo's speech in the Movie.
>>
>>33550899
Because they are not Made by gamefreak
>>
>>33550915
Why are there game freak schills.
>>
>>33550907
Mewtwo doesn't even talk in the games
>>
>>33551021
He talks in mistery dungeon
>>
>>33550899
sun and moon dialogues and cut scenes shit all over gen 4 and 5 dialogues and cut scenes so at least we're on a path of improvement.
>>
>>33551041
Yikes
>>
>>33550899
The Explorers games are way, way better than they have any right to be. The gameplay is pretty much the definition of repetitive. The story is good but not great. And yet there's something so goddamn infectious about all the dungeons, the characters, the music, the atmosphere. I prefer Explorers to any of the mainline titles.
>>
>>33551275
I think the main thing is that all the negatives about these games are addressed appropriately. Whilst the gameplay is repetitive, having dungeons made randomised and allowing for the collectathon of all the Pokemon means that the experience is fresh. Also, there's something I like about doing a quiz to be a Pokemon rather than picking one. As for the story, it is pretty standard overall, but leagues better than what we get in the main games, but I think what makes it great is all the characters. The Pokemon tend to have interesting and likeable personalities. Even some personalities we'd find annoying if they were human characters are more endearing when attached to our Pokemon friends.
>>
>>33550911
No it isn't. Mewtwo says that the circumstances of ones' birth are irrelevant. It means that the clones aren't worth less than the originals just because of the way they came to be, although it's probably trying to teach people not to be racist or something.

Grovyle basically says that a short life in which you accomplish something great and something that you will be remembered for is preferable to dragging it out for as long as possible if your life is miserable like that.
>>
File: dusknoir.jpg (41KB, 1024x461px) Image search: [Google]
dusknoir.jpg
41KB, 1024x461px
>>33550899
daily reminder that dusknoir did nothing wrong
>>
>>33551488
Ok, then answer this:
>Why didn't Dusknoir just leave them instead of dragging them into the future?
>Why did he choose to execute them in a way that also gives them an opening to escape?
>Why didn't he just let Grovyle kill the protagonists and "arrive too late" to finish him off?
>>
File: Cubone.gif (867KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Cubone.gif
867KB, 500x334px
>>33550899
I feel like it is a lot easier to become emotionally invested, since becoming a Pokemon is highly appealing to me, and I feel like I actually have a place in those stories.
>>
>>33551698
This, have felt this way since I first played Red Rescue Team.
>>
>>33551041
I mean, I want to agree, but SM's story is complete shit hiding behind a giant waifu shield, so nah.
>>
>>33551708
>not waifuing your partners
You're doing it wrong
>>
File: nothingwrong.jpg (133KB, 600x431px) Image search: [Google]
nothingwrong.jpg
133KB, 600x431px
>>33551629
>Why didn't Dusknoir just leave them instead of dragging them into the future?
Protagonist was from the future and had the dimensional scream/possibly temporary amnesia, it's possible they could have discovered and attempted to prevent the future. The only thing that doesn't really make sense is dragging the partner into this, but he was getting orders from Primal Dialga, and either of them might have known about the relic fragment.

>Why did he choose to execute them in a way that also gives them an opening to escape?
I mean being tied up and sliced to death was pretty foolproof, he probably just overestimated the sableye.

>Why didn't he just let Grovyle kill the protagonists and "arrive too late" to finish him off?
Grovyle would have just KO'd them and ran off. It was much better to fight Grovyle in front of the protagonist, to build further trust.
>>
>>33551716
>not husbandoing your partners
Au contraire, anon
>>
File: Naegi.jpg (971KB, 1280x1814px) Image search: [Google]
Naegi.jpg
971KB, 1280x1814px
>>33550899
Chunsoft. It's a blessing and a curse
>>
>>33550915
This. I was surprised when I learned Chunsoft made Danganronpa. Just goes to show how well they can tell a story. And characters. And anything else Gamefreak fails at.
>>
>>33550899
I wonder if Ultra Space will play a role in future versions? It could explain the 'sole human in Pokemon world's plothole if they just happen to leave US the wrong way
>>
Are there any PMD fangames out there?
>>
>>33550899
Literally every Pokémon game I've played, main series or spin-off, has had this same level of inspirational philosophy, it's basically the series' thing.
>>
File: quote.png (252KB, 500x630px) Image search: [Google]
quote.png
252KB, 500x630px
>>33550899
???
any random Npc in the mainline games could say that.
in fact that one is pretty cliche.
>>
>>33551741
>>33551743
Le chimpmunk face
>>
>>33552755
Of course. But don't you see? /vp/ needs the story to shove the philosophy down their throat for them to notice it, even though everyone likes to pretend they like exploring on their own. And the same writing quality is better if a Pokémon says it!
>>
>>33550899
>more deep
It's just some anime-like plot. You get more attached because there's more cutscenes in these games than in core Pokemon.
>>
>>33552929
>Sun and moon has cutscenes out the ass talking about feelings and shit
>no one fucking cares
>>
>>33552991
That's because they're vapid and devoid of anything meaningful. The story isn't structured in a way that culminates to a climatic ending that makes you feel something.
>>
That's cringe, Pokémon with those dialogues is ridiculous lol
>>
>>33552633
>>33552755
>>33552874
>>33552929
It's all about the context, anon. The best you're going to get in a mainline game is someone spouting the same thing after a battle or around the climax of the muh legendary plot.

In explorers you're getting this from someone who is literally killing themselves to save the world. It isn't a run-of-the-mill inspirational speech, it's an attempt to rationalize something that will kill them both to a character that doesn't want to die.

It's something I've seen very little in other media, usually you'll have a noble sacrifice, but a noble sacrifice that will also kill other people that don't want to die is pretty unique outside of war films, especially for fuckin' pokemon.
>>
>>33550899
Because it was made by more competent developers.
>>
You can't show a single segment of a rollercoaster ride and expect everyone spectating to appreciate the rush unless they were there for the whole thing, or otherwise experienced it themselves.

Same goes for OP's pic.
>>
>>33550899
You consider a 12 year olds motivational phone wallpaper deep?
>>
>>33550899
Its only really good in comparison because the stories in mainline pokemon are pretty abysmal.
>>
>>33550899
It's a Mewtwo quote from the first movie!
>>
>>33550907
Kind of, but there are some crucial differences

Mewtwo says that the conditions of who you are, and how you were born don't matter in the long run, is you who make the difference

Mewtwo's message is that we are all born equal, and is our actions what defines us as who we are
Grovyle's message is that is worthless to life for a long time if you don't enjoy and live your life
>>
>>33553076
This
>>
>>33553076
Actually, Special Episode 5 reveals that everyone who didn't go insane was fine with disappearing, as long as it meant other people would experience a better future. It was in the very first cutscene too.
>>
>>33553996
But there were still a lot of Pokemon who didn't want to disappear, leaving this statement irrelevant.
>>
>>33553938
So is Grovyle essentially advocating suicide? In a Japanese-made game? I kid, but yeah, the PMD games tend to have better storied and more complex themes than the mainline series, despite supposedly being intended for a younger audience.
>>
>>33554020
>Grovyle: According to the planetary investigation team, everyone, except those few whose hearts are dark and shriveled... Everyone was in agreement. They all agreed to change this world of darkness. Everyone's ready. So do the right thing and give up.
Grovyle states that there's a group that traveled around the paralyzed world to see what was going on. Everybody around the world who hasn't gone feral/insane due to the corruption was fine with disappearing, and the only one who wasn't okay with it were Dialga (went insane), Dusknoir and his Sableye (who are more loyal to Dusknoir if anything).
It's not as deep as you're making it out to be.
>>
>>33552991
>no one fucking cares

Lillie became that fucking popular just because of that, you mongoloid. I swear.
>>
>>33554055
Lilie became popular because she's waifubait: has a cute design and a kawaii uguu~ personality. Couple that with character development you'd find on a 4-year old's picture book and autists suddenly believe they have justification to fap to her.
>>
>>33554038
the mc aka (you) literally dies in explorers, dialga revives you for your merits
>>
>>33554041
Dusknoir wasn't insane and didn't want to die.
>>
It's a shame that Pokemon's formula and format doesn't allow for a better narrative like Mystery Dungeon does. In the main series, they've got to focus everything around that 'Gym and League' experience -- it doesn't allow much room for creating the atmosphere and attachment you'll get to a Mystery Dungeon game.
>>
>>33554230
Dusknoir was the only exception to what was stated in-game, and his reason for wanting to stay was because his heart was corrupted. He even turns into a good guy once he has a change of heart. Dialga was the insane one, and we never get to see other Pokemon who don't want to disappear outside of those three.
>>
File: 1504579401584.png (37KB, 400x383px) Image search: [Google]
1504579401584.png
37KB, 400x383px
>>33554038
Yes, but you get told even more literally to kill yourself in the post-game
>>
>>33550899
I was into sci-fi and fantasy books when I was a kid, so this game was the perfect storm between combining that and Pokemon. I remember being in absolute awe when this game introduced time travel and had legitimate character development, it was everything I could have asked for. Mainstream Pokemon games are not capable of this
>>
>>33554320
>He even turns into a good guy once he has a change of heart.
Yeah, that's the whole point, Grovyle communicated to him his ideals about self-sacrifice, convincing Dusknoir that the future was more important than his life
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.