[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theory: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Will be Geared Towards the Hardcore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

File: iwao.png (901KB, 1363x757px) Image search: [Google]
iwao.png
901KB, 1363x757px
>Directed by Kazumasa Iwao (The guy who worked on Platinum's battle system) alone, not with Masuda or Ohmori.
>Iwao is primarily involved in battling mechanics. His last public interview was in 2015 where he talked about his stat choices for Mega Slowbro/Salamence
>USUM has had very little press coverage. Masuda hasn't done the usual round of pre-release interviews about the games and Nintendo don't seem as interested in promoting it like they were for S/M.
>The only things we've been shown is the Alola Photo Club and the new look trainers, which are probably the most casual-palpable new features in the game.
>In a video interview with GameInformer, Iwao demonstrated the Photo Club and said "There are lots more new features that we can't tell you about yet"
>In the same interview, he said players will want to move their Pokemon from the original S/M, implying that USUM is aimed at people who completed S/M despite not being sequels.
>When people have interviewed Masuda in the past few months, he barely mentioned USUM and focused on the Switch instead.
>USUM are set in an alternate reality from S/M
>Dusk Lycanroc appears to be geared more competitively than Midday/Midnight forms

What does this imply?

>Nintendo/GF already know that the game isn't aimed at casual players so they aren't putting too much into the promotion of the game because it won't pay off.
>The remaining new features Iwao mentioned aren't interesting enough to the average casual Pokemon fan to feature in Corocoro or to warrant interviews with magazines, meaning they are probably aimed more at dedicated fans
>Masuda is focusing on Pokemon for the Switch and is leaving Iwao to his own devices
>The story in USUM will be considered disposable while S/M's will be treated as the accepted canon by GF when referenced in future games.

https://youtu.be/8Nt5H6QDvF0

The last thing he says is interesting. USUM will be deceptively deeper than most people will be expecting.
>>
That pikachu mini game

Photo club

These are for casuals.
>>
>>33539512
>tmw these are non-canon
>not canon means more fun
>more fun means more money
>more money means more games
Gen 8 confirmed.
>>
Interesting theory, it does match up with the lack of excitement by normies on social media, they only care about the Switch games. With the track record of third versions they must know by now that mostly the core fanbase buys them, most social hype only show up during new gens.

I bought SM and got burned a bit by how rushed it felt, so I was planning on pirating USUM, but maybe I won't do that and purchase it instead, if this is all true and it's actually good anyway. Though the next games I'll do the opposite, I'll pirate the new gen game and buy the finished enhanced re-release/third version, I think they should be rewarded for making deeper games and not rushed genwun pandering garbage. The game with the most content and depth should sell the most, not the other way around.
>>
>>33539512
>The guy who worked on Platinum's battle system
What does this mean exactly?
Platinum did trainer team and movesets best in the series, but for all I know, this just means making the hp bar drop faster.
>>
Competive players = hardcore?

I'm hardcore and I could less about competitve
>>
>>33539576
So you do care.
>>
It's interesting seeing his rammed desk with 3 monitors compared to Masuda's gleaming office with a table and a few chairs for meetings. You get the impression he works a lot closer to the metal of the games than Masuda does.
>>
>>33539551
Gen 8 was technically announed in june
>>
I'm willing to bet any money this guy is in some way associated with USUM's equivalent to Pokewood Studios or some other battling side-quest activity.
>>
File: wcbmrq[1].png (216KB, 400x241px) Image search: [Google]
wcbmrq[1].png
216KB, 400x241px
>>33539680

Forgot pic
>>
>>33539570
pls respond
solid teams and movesets are what would save the games for me
they've been shit since BW and only kept getting worse
>>
>>33539512
>>33539565
This is actually a very plausible theory and has changed my expectations for USUM entirely. I'm all for Platinum 2.0: Alola Edition.
>>
Eat shit, Masuda and Ohmori.
>>
>>33539512
> (The guy who worked on Platinum's battle system)
He is merely credited as special thanks.
However his portfolio is mainly battle system related.
His portfolio is:
>game battle design director in SM
>game battle design director in ORAS
>map design director in XY
>worked on general game design in BW2
>worked on ui, map in BW
>worked on trainer teams and the battle subway in BW
>>
>>33539565
>switch
>pirate

You'll have to wait a couple years on that one anon, might as well just skip the first version.
>>
>>33539938
>worked on ui, map in BW
shut it down
these were among BW's lowest of lows
>>
>>33539938
Going down that list
>Game Battle Design Director in SM and ORAS
mixed bag, SM actually has something that resembles competent AI, but ORAS has the opposite of that
>Map Design director for XY
A negative
>Worked on General Game Design in BW2
Fantastic sign
>Worked on UI, Map in BW
good sign
>worked on trainer teams and the battle subway in BW
mixed to good sign
>>
>>33539970
He forgot to mention he was in charge of Pokemon contest in oras
>>
>>33539680

Hes not. Pokewood Studios was a new side activity for the few casual players who bought the game.

That role has been filled by Alola Photo Club in USUM.
>>
>>33539951
Switch hax is coming sooner than you think, and gen 8 later than you think.
...probably.
>>
Judging by his portofolio I'm expecting a game in BW2's vein
>pretty easy and linear main story with some annoying forced interactions
>filled to the brim with side quests and mini games
>>
>>33539979
I'd give that a neutral, if I'm remembering them right. They didn't fuck up the actual contest but they didn't improve it as much as they could either.
The real crime related to ORAS's contests was the removal of the berry mixing minigame, which I'm unsure would be his call or not.
>>
>>33539970
XY had a good map, despite the bad almost everything else.
BW's ui and maps were its biggest flaws.
thin white letters on black backgrounds are gross and a huge step down
circle map was a bland joke
>>
>>33540029
>The real crime related to ORAS's contests was the removal of the berry mixing minigame, which I'm unsure would be his call or not.
Please don't remind me. It still hurts.
>>
>>33540008

Pokewood Studios was designed to teach new players advanced battle techniques, hence why it was available so early in the game and the scripts were based on using intermediate strategies to win fights. Masuda talked about it in an interview when BW2 released.
>>
>>33540048
>intermediate strategies
>use the super effective move of the two
be quiet
>>
>>33540033
XY had aesthetically pleasing maps, but the map layout and the way the different routes connected was not that good.
>>
>>33540033
I admit the UI is worse than I remember, but the overall maps were fine. Unless you mean the literal maps and not the overworld.
>>
>>33540053

Later scripts obviously
>>
>>33539970
I'm not sure he was in charge of the AI so much as the design of new moves/abilities, giving pokemon stats, etc, the AI is probably mostly the responsibility of the battle systems programmers.
>>
>>33540064
I thought I told you to hush
>>33540055
I think the UI was the first thing I disliked from BW.
They also butchered the bag by removing sections and still haven't fixed it to this day.
>>
>>33540080
So he's the reason mega fug exists?

I can't wait to see the stats of Dusk and Dawn Necrozma.
>>
>>33539512
>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who think this ISN'T the case
>>
USUM will be Iwao's playground. All of the most time consuming and difficult parts of S/M are already done - The new Pokémon, the game engine, the 3D models, animations, most of the story, most of the music, most of the region design, most of the character design... I could keep going.

USUM is a comparatively easy project, it'll mostly just be a big feature showcase of whatever Iwao thinks would make a cool game. Even moreso than a third 'middle' game because he doesn't have to honour the storyline of S/M whatsoever. He may do a better job of writing the other UBs into the game because of this.
>>
>>33540053

Later scripts like switching harmful hold items onto the enemy. It may not seem intermediate to you, but for kids who play with all 4 move slots taken by offensive moves only, it was an attempt to show them new ways to battle and get them into the idea of competitive battling by democratising strategies. This was literally confirmed by GF, it's not guesswork.
>>
>>33540190
They should instead work on the AI and give the enemy trainers actual strategies, like HAL and Genius Sonority did in Stadium and Colosseum/GoD.
Every time I see shit like Ace Trainers having Pokemon that know Protect but use it just for the sake of it, I scream a bit inside.

I think this is why Cynthia is such a memorable Champion, it's like the only instance where GF actually tried to have good movesets in a AI trainer.
>>
>>33539512
i love you OP
>>
>>33539570
Dude given how tedious this franchise is anyone on the staff who causes hp bars to drop faster is a god damn saint. If he can get it so that the time from when an encounter triggers and when you can chose a move to 3 seconds or less instead of goddamn ten then, I will revere him.
>>
>>33541894
It was a great thing, but something anyone could've and should've done.
Whoever actually fixes in game battles is the real saint.
>>
>>33540282
Cynthia's Roserade had an egg move it could only have via Budew breeding.
A random swimmer also had a Medicham with egg moves.
In fact, multiple literal who's npcs had specialized movesets with tm/tutor/egg moves.
Most other games just had their level up moves.
Platinum's attention to detail is so underrated.
>>
I hope so OP and I will continue to hope so until this game gives me heartbreak
>>
>>33539570
i'm sure OP meant BW/2 because Iwao joined gamefreak around Unova and he was responsible for the battle stuff in Unova (and ORAS)
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.