[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Protagonist Designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Protagonists.png (674KB, 1024x562px) Image search: [Google]
Protagonists.png
674KB, 1024x562px
While it can be argued that new protag designs are gaudy, or that one design is better than the other one thing is certain. Game Freak's mindset for designing protagonists hasn't changed at all.
All protagonists use at most 5-6 colors of the same shade, with the color choices being placed in a way where everything pops without looking too outlandish. For example, take a look at Rosa, the latest 2D protagonist. She uses a combination of 6 colors (white, pink, yellow, black, brown, and cyan), and her clothing is colored in a way where nothing blends together. For example, her sleeves are cyan, so that it doesn't blend with her bag, and her bag straps and body are black and pink, respectively, so that they stand out. Her skirt is yellow rather than pink or cyan so that it stands out from her shirt, bag, and tights.
Other characters also follow the same formula. May and Ethan both use a small color palette, and each article of clothing is divided in a way where everything stands out. All of these are deliberate choices, and the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon protagonists are no different. Mizuki's redesign uses six colors (orange, red, green, white, yellow and black), and none of these colors overlap in a way where a certain article of clothing blends.

This is also why most custom XY and SM characters are poorly designed. Most use too few colors to be as "aesthetic" as possible, not realizing that everything blends and makes a boring design, or uses so many that the design becomes a mess of colors. Protagonists are balanced so that they stand out enough to be unique (unlike an NPC), but not to the point where it becomes an eyesore.
>>
>>33529305
This is a good point. Though part of what I like about customs is the challenge in making a believable protag
>>
>trainer customization thread
>filled with people either slutting it up, using monochrome/2-color outfits, or neonshit like the fucking Muk outfit
This board has such horrible taste
>>
>>33529429
Yeah but lets be honest here. what fucking else is there to use that isnt the default outfit?
>>
>>33529470
I wish we could get more character based wear, like Illima, Colress, Blue, Red, Wally, Lana, Mallow, Cynthia, etc.
>>
>>33529519
Just admit you wanna play strip battles with everyone, anon
>>
bump because interesting thread
>>
>>33529305
>This is also why most custom XY and SM characters are poorly designed.

might be the complete lack of options though.

especially for male protags
>>
>>33529305
People don't realize that Pokemon's designs, both human and Pokemon alike, go through a lot of changes before being put in the game so that they can fit in with the world. That's why all the protags follow a certain formula. If you notice, many characters use the same color schemes. Lucas, Hilbert and Calem share the red hat, and black and blue clothes design, while Red, RS Brendan, DP Lucas and Ethan use a primarily red, black and yellow color scheme, with less blue than protags like Hilbert.

I'd argue that half the customs suck because the custom choices themselves are limited. In SM, you color choices are either mono-color, or color+white/black outlines for the most part, so you have less of a chance to mix and match. XY has more variety in one outfit, yellow high tops also have green and pink, but there are little to no clothes you can match most up with.
>>
Chicken head a best
>>
>>33530059
I'm pretty sure it'll come back as a custom
>>
File: 1485123098155.jpg (438KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485123098155.jpg
438KB, 707x1000px
Customisation is one of those features that feels unfinished. They've put it in, but they could still polish it more. Half the colours in XY don't fucking match anything for no good reason. I tried to make a pink and purple outfit and it ended up being a mess because they used too many shades of the same colours. Shoes don't match bags, which don't match hats. The best way to build an outfit that looks good is to just buy a pre-made ensemble from Lumiose. Let's not even mention how bad customisation is if you play as the boy.

They resolved the matching issue in SM, at the expense of clothing variety and then they locked half the colours to the other version and made it a complete chore to get those coloured items for basically no good reason. I get WHY they took out long trousers, long sleeves and jackets,"because summer!!", but I still think it was a lame decision and it gave the player less choice. You basically had the choice of shorts or different shorts and the boys didn't even get any sandals.

I'm hoping they'll improve on customisation in USM so that we get better variety and all the colours. Getting to dress your character in clothes that match previous players would be fun. It'd be nice to be able to dress up like one of the other characters, particularly if they noticed commented on it.

>>33529999 Nice quads, by the way.
>>
>>33531690
not enough options and version exclusives (beyond a single outfit) is an asshole move
>>
>>33531705
I agree. You know how you can go into the "other Alola" through the wormhole in the post-game? It wouldn't even be so bad if you could buy the version-locked coloured things from there. It'd still be a huge pain having to wait, but it's still better than what we got.
>>
File: 135.jpg (28KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
135.jpg
28KB, 640x480px
>>33529305
Its almost like pokemon was made in japan or something and theyre marketing towards that audience
>>
>>33531933
>implying they aren't marketing towards the west way more nowadays
>>
>>33529627
/thread
>>
>>33531933
>Its almost like pokemon was made in japan or something and theyre marketing towards that audience
>last 3 generations have been set in America, France, and America again
>>
>>33529519
>we could've had outfits based on all previous protagonists
they missed a huge opportunity
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 400x240px
>5-6 different colors
>each article of clothing is coordinated so that they all stand out
So something like this? It uses red, pink, pastel yellow, black, white and purple
>>
lyra was the best female and hilbert was the best male design
>>
File: protagonist outfits.png (2MB, 2000x1680px) Image search: [Google]
protagonist outfits.png
2MB, 2000x1680px
>>
>>33532932
Nice.
>>
>>33532932
Watch. Gen8 will have these as DLC.
>individual old gen outfit
>$0.99 each
Screenshot this for when it happens.
(GF is the only hold out for micro transactions like this. It's only a matter of time.)
>>
>>33532717
>implying gamefreak cares about anything except "wonderful" nippon
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.