[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do people actually like trials over traditional gyms?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2961.jpg (56KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2961.jpg
56KB, 400x240px
Personally I'm hoping for gyms to return in USuUMo. Found trials boring, gimmicky and real easy; easy even by Pokémon standards.
>>
>>33525664
>USuUMo
>>
I can see why people might prefer Trials. They're more steeped in a region's culture than Gyms are, they're something new, and Totems can be pretty fun to fight against.

I still prefer Gyms, though. They feel more official and organized, and Trials in practice are just watered-down Gyms.
>>
>>33525681
Sorry, meant UlSuUlMo
>>
>>33525802
>Not PoUlSuPoUlMo
Fuck off Reddit
>>
trials themselves need work, theyre way too random and simplistic. I love the concept of totems, though. I'd take that any day
>>
Most of the totem battles were far more challenging than gyms. I legit got my ass handed to me on that Salazzle fight.
>>
I like the idea of trials, hopefully they actually do something interesting with them in the future
I don't see why they can't have both gyms and trials though
or just combine the two
>>
>>33525833
I'd honestly really like to have both. Totems were cool; they just need to refine trials. And gyms will always have a spot in my heart, I'm always open to them.
>>
>>33525858
I also wish any trainers had more than 2-3 Pokémon.
>>
>>33525664
totems > gym leaders
trial """puzzles""" < gym puzzles
>>
>>33525827
If Gym leaders could send two mons against your one and boost their stats without using a turn then gym mons would be much harder than totems
>>
>>33525827
You must either be underage or a fucking retard, none of the totems are hard at all.
>>
>>33525664
I like trials better, they were more interesting and varied than gyms, which had become way too stiff and formulaic

>>33525833
>I like the idea of trials, hopefully they actually do something interesting with them in the future
considering that trials were suppose to be added very late in the game, to the point that they had to reuse assets for them, i'm really interested in what they can do now that they actually have more time to put into them.
Though, in a perfect pokemon game, they would mix both gyms and trials, so you would start the game, do two trials and then do a gym, and then go to the kahuna, making the adventure more varied
>>
>>33525888
this
>>
>>33525902
god I love this board. Bunch of manchildren getting hardons over how pro they are a Pokemon
What's that, something might be challenging based on your team and how prepared you were for something? No no that's impossible, clearly you are retarded because I had absolutely no trouble sweeping everything all the time. I can't possibly fathom the idea that somebody might be playing the game differently than I and isn't power gaming their way through everything.

This is probably an ironic thing to post here of all places but I mean it in all sincerity:
grow the fuck up, jesus christ
>>
>>33525902
This. I don't think any totem every knocked out anything I had
>>
>>33525939
Not him but you sound way more pathetic than the faggot making fun of people who suck at a kids game but I mean it with all sincerity
>>
>>33525939
Pokemon is a game for children. If you have trouble with a children's game while you're an adult then you're a fucking dumbass. You attempting to cover your ass by calling out everyone else doesn't change this.
>>
>>33525888
Gym puzzles vary a lot in quality, I rather no puzzle than Lt. Surge's for example, and some gyms don't even have them but still right for most cases I think.
>>
>>33525664
If they were legitimately a challenge, then yes. Tons of material to fucking worth with;
>go through this haunted supermarket that's filled with very strong ghost pokemon and take a picture of the rarest one
>Find a rare item drop off a pokemon in so and so
>Deliver this package in this short amount of time without using fly
>Puzzles
>Inflict every status condition on every trainer in the forest
>No using items or hms
They should just be hard challenges and quests but for pokemon. Have them work with all the mechanics of the game and be genuinely challenging, instead of "press the A button 3 times".

Totem battles were good, but they need to NOT be afraid to give them actual boss stats and fix the horrible fucking framerate they have.

>>33525858
Maybe this too; some gyms have trials before you have to face the leader and others have totems and trials.
>>
I found Pokemon Sun and Moon challenging in general.

Then again, battle style was on set, didn't have exp share on, didn't grind, and I used a full party of Pokemon
>>
>>33525957
I like your suggestions anon
>>
>>33525902
Then this board must be filled with retards and underage the second one i don't doubt it, because there were a huge amount of people who said they got their ass handed by one or another totem. Except Koomo-o, anyone would have a flying or fairy type who could one shot it by then
>>
>>33525664
>USuUMo
You do realize how stupid that looks right??? Can't you just use your brain and use USM
>>
They are almost the same shit, trials are shit compared to gym pluzzles and trainers but totem Pokemon are way better boss battles than gym leaders
>>
File: 1470429588224.png (389KB, 799x716px) Image search: [Google]
1470429588224.png
389KB, 799x716px
>>33525972
Thanks, anon
>>
Trials were basically the same as gyms except they had shittier puzzles. Totem battles were cool although that's mainly because they basically had a free stat boost at the start of the battle.
>>
>>33525664
They were still harder than Gen 6 gyms.
>>
>>33525664
Yes, more entertaining and harder
Next question
>>
>>33526058
I found them harder than any gym, I turned off the Exp Share so I was normally about 2 levels bellow them tho
>>
>>33525981
Honestly I don't doubt anything in your statement given how this board generally acts.
>>
>>33525902
they aren't, but they are harder than any of the shitty gym leader battles
>>
Gym leaders should have stats boosts like Lusamine had
>>
>>33525952
>He doesnt like digging through trash
>>
>>33525664
Yes, they just need to be improved quite a bit.
>>
>>33526148
They're really not. That's not to say gym battles are hard, though.
>>
File: i wanna die.jpg (7KB, 311x162px) Image search: [Google]
i wanna die.jpg
7KB, 311x162px
>>33525664

I would probably prefer trials if they weren't executed like shit

The idea of a progression system that's unique and tied to a region's culture is great because lemme be real gyms were kinda getting stale

however trials as they were in SM were garbage so if it's a choice between shit trials or gyms I'll take gyms any day of the week
>>
>>33525664
It was a really nice change of pace but I prefer gyms overall.
>>
>>33525991
People are retarded, I like to draw out a map so I don't have to deal with people asking: "what does that mean? xD just write out the full name!"
>>
File: good.gif (381KB, 800x835px) Image search: [Google]
good.gif
381KB, 800x835px
>>33525967
this is the way anon, you just became a patrician pokemon fan
>>
>>33525664
What I would like if they combine both into the main story.
First you get introduced to gyms then before challenging the second you have to defeat one or two trials and keep doing that till the elite four or something like that.
>>
The real question is how they're ever going to bring back gym battles when the totems are objectively superior.

Are they just going to make gym leaders send 2 mons against your 1? I mean that would work but the story justification would be silly.
>>
>>33525967
Wait do people actually ever use a non full party?
>>
>>33525664
They were piss easy, most of them were annoying mini games followed by a mon I usually 1 one shorted.
>>
>>33525895
This, id actually sweat if I had to deal with 2 leader mons at once with boosted stats. The 8th gym would be a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>33525827
The Salazzle fight was literally "Mudbray/Diglett used Earthquake".
The only one I found challenging was the Mimikyu fight.
>>
>>33529069
I usually know beforehand what team I want to use unless I'm doing a (blind)nuzlocke, so I don't use a full team until I am able to obtain all 6 members of my planned team in their respective parts of the game. I usually have 2-3 pokemon for the 1st few gyms/trials (depending on the game obviously)

>>33528539
Totems are indeed superior to gym battles, but the good thing is that totems are the easier thing to carry over to future generations. All they need to do is make it a test for every trainer to beat a boss pokemon before being able to challenge the gym. I mean, they already have 7 totems, they'd just need to add an 8th one for 8 gyms and 8 gym leaders.
All in all, there are ways to not axe the existence of totem pokemon, even if they're confined to wild unrelated things such as hidden grottos and the like
>>
>>33525827
>show up with a cubone i just caught
>salazzle dies before it even does anything
>>
>>33528539
Just pull an Ilima - you have to fight the leader and then the Totem.
>>
>>33525664
I want Gyms, but with the Leader's Ace Pokemon to be a Totem. Best of both worlds. Trials are ass compared to Gyms, but Totems work better as "boss" encounters.
>>
>>33525827
Gym leaders need a totem pokemon buff imagine onyx
>>
>>33526067
Exp share on, not even a lv 30 torracat can sweep totem Salazzle

Holy hell that was difficult Lurantis can one shot you with solar blade.
>>
>>33526362
Totem pokemon are however a welcome change to the question format, gyms lost their teeth in XY,
>>
>>33528510
I'd prefer a fan game to test its limits before GF does a full integration.
>>
>>33529096
8th gym is supposed to be a test, Giovanni and Blair aren't pushovers
>>
>>33531349
Yep, I want that.
>>
>>33525664
Hopefully there will be both in USM.
>>
hey were a nice side thing in alola, If Gyms where there too then It'd be great.

I Hope next gen they keep gyms and ass in more things like trials so there's more to do than just a trial or a gym then more onto the next town.
>>
>>33531432
add* lol
>>
>>33525664
I'm going to give my opinion on this, apparently for people here totems were not challenging, for some it was. I'm gonna say to me it wasn't more or less challenging than were Gyms in previous games overall. But I really like the fact that GF went out of their comfort zone to bring something new to the franchise. I support that 100% and I really did like the concept of Totems and hope to see more. I do also have to agree that a mix between both concepts (gyms and trials) could also be a very great idea.
>>
>>33529069
people can be lazy
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.