[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which rival was the best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: unnamed.png (42KB, 120x305px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
42KB, 120x305px
Which rival was the best?
>>
>>33495439
Silver
>>
>>33495468
/thread
>>
>>33495439
Hugh.
>>
>>33495439
you posted it
>>
>>33495439
You posted him
>>
>>33495439
You posted him.

His battle theme is god-tier and he has the best team out of any rival not named Blue/Green.
>>
>>33495634
/thread
>>
>>33495439
Barry. Gladion could come close if he had more screentime and actually battled you more than just a handful of times.
>>
>>33495668
>>33495694
>>33495704
>>33495707
>all these Sinnoh fetuses
His theme was trash and battles were slow like the rest of the entire generation
>>
>>33495468
Overrated.
>>
>>33495728
Also, since he used Rapidash if you didn't pick Torterra, you have no real Fire choices other than Infernape (ew.) Meaning, if you picked Piplup, then you have no options for Fire-types. That's retarded.
>>
>>33495746
Houndoom?
>>
>>33495728
The fact that the battles were slow is irrelevant in a discussion about the rival.
Barry was the best, hands down. His theme was meh, but his pokemon and its movesets were god tier, unlike Bianca and the cocksucking trio of Kalos. Also, he had, as Silver, a development: he left his childish behavior to pursue strength and, unlike the redhead, Blue and Cheren, he didn't need to be an asshole to achieve it. Finally, he had a well shapes personality, unlike May/Brendan.
>>
>>33495785
Or maybe you are retarded.
He was boring and annoying, from start to finish.
Only good rivals are Blue, Gladion and N.
Every other is a sad faggot.
>>
File: images.jpg (15KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15KB, 256x256px
>>33495785
Oh, I almost forgot: unlike Hugh, his motivation held some water.
>tfw muh purrloin
>>
>>33495795
>you are retard because muh opinonfhauhxh herp
Nice meme
Of course, he was boring just because he hadn't passed his time talking shit about you, being an edgy child and a deluded weed smoker.
>>
>Almost gives up his dream of starting his journey and getting his starter pokemon for you, taking all the blame for trying to run into the tall grass at the beginning
>Total bro teaming up to defeat the enemy team
>Has an actual moment of drama when he failed to save Uxie at Lake Acuity
>Admits he isn't strong enough to beat you once you get ahead of him for the first time at Sunyshore Gym, and after the team galactic shit show, does some actual self reflection
Not to mention his dream is actually different than yours, where instead of being the champion, he wants to follow in his father's footsteps. Last but not least, he actually is the last rival to provide a decent challenge.
Blue, Silver, Barry in that order and then the rest who are total shit.
>>
>>33495772
Plat only.
>>
>>33495885
>playing diamond/pearl in any circunstances
why?
>>
>>33495812
>motivation held no water
They stole his sister's Purrloin years ago when he was young; they basically took a family member from him. He was too young to cope with it and so developed a personality that revolved around "rage" where he bottled up his sadness, anger, and frustration and put it on as a persona. This is why throughout the game he either sounds like a friendly rival that likes to battle or as a genuinely distraught individual.

>I'm illiterate lol
>>
>>33495746
The lack of fire types in Diamond and Pearl are a horrible flaw, but how is that relevant to whether or not Barry was a good rival or not? Are you saying you can't beat Barry without a fire type, or are you saying you can't use Rapidash because he has one? I'm confused.
>>
>>33495909
Why the fuck would I play platinum if i didn't like D/P?
>>
>>33495909
The first games in gen 4? Didn't really have a choice before Plat came out. Besides, Houndoom and Magmar as the only other choices? Really? 4 isn't a good number either. ...Unless I'm forgetting some? Also if you don't count the bottom cartridge compatibility thing, I guess.
>>
>>33495931
Why would you use the same Pokémon as a rival?
>>
>>33495946
>Forgetting the absolutely best Pokemon ever created, also known as known as Flareon
>>
>>33495924
Good job saying what you are in the end, because nothing in my statement points out I'm an illiterate. Also, ad hominem.
AND, the motivation to rescue a shitty first route pokemon without knowing his whereabouts (or by don't even consider the possibility that it could be dead, based on who snatched it) is good?
My, you really have a shit taste.
>>
>>33495952
Because I'm not an autist? Barry also has a Heracross. I'm still going to use one even though he has one.
>>
>>33495439
They were all kinda forgettable.
>>
>>33495634
best rival and ship
>>
Barry is dull. The multiple battles combined with the series mantra of unevolved all-rounder type coverage just makes him a slog to battle over the course of the game, because no matter what, you're almost always going to see the Staravia, the Buizel, and the Roselia.
>>
>>33495439
N.
Because they were the only rival character with a character other than complete asshole and friendly doorstep.
>>
File: Pathetic.png (123KB, 853x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Pathetic.png
123KB, 853x1132px
*two battles
>>
>>33495966
I may be an autist (for real), but... catch the same pokemon as your rival doesn't remove the feeling of rivalry? Also, I'm not the on who you quoted.
>>
>>33495439
certainly not that psychopath ADHD faggot Barry.
>>
>>33496006
Why the fuck would having the same Pokemon as another person remove any feeling of rivalry? If anything, it'd make it stronger as you prove that you and your Pokemon are strictly better.
>>
>>33496006
Why put limitations on yourself like that? Why stop at not using the same pokemon as your rivals and also force yourself not to use the same pokemon as gym leaders and elite 4 members. How bout the enemy team's leaders? What happens with rivals like N who change their pokemon multiple times throughout the journey?
Also, you or whoever the person I quoted, still hasn't answered the original question. How does the lack of fire types in Diamond and Pearl, relate to Barry being a bad rival.
>>
>>33495931
>The lack of fire types in Diamond and Pearl are a horrible flaw

well, who cares?
just substitute with other types. Steel enemy? get a fighting type. Grass enemy? Bug them/Poison them. Bug enemy? Crush them with rocks. I just see it as a creative challenge. I finished Platinum without using a firetype.
>>
>>33496041
He can't be far from his Arcanine.
>>
File: 1466457059858.png (35KB, 398x453px) Image search: [Google]
1466457059858.png
35KB, 398x453px
>>33496041
>It's not a flaw! It's a challenge!
>>
>>33496051
Arcanine? I don't get it.
>>
>>33496041
I mean I agree with you, I don't think it was that big a deal, but it is an objective flaw with the games. Some people care about it more than others.
>>
>>33495439
Blue. He's the only rival to become Champion.
>>
>>33496055
yeah. I saw it as part of the aesthetic of the game and the atmosphere. there is a lot of snow and ice in Sinnoh and the mountain in the middle is mostly just rock types, fighting-types and occasionally ground (maybe I don't remember).

so for me it kinda made sense why there aren't any fire types. it matters very little regardless. if you find a find a fire TM just teach it to something you gonna keep using. I had a Golem and I just used Fireblast with it if I really needed some fire move.
>>
>>33496040
But he isn't a bad one; he is the best, in my opinion. I just pointed out that.
>>
File: 1264559_1376526852110_full.jpg (43KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
1264559_1376526852110_full.jpg
43KB, 500x425px
>>33495977
>>
>>33496060
fair enough. I'm somebody who likes firetypes too but I really don't care that much. I can go without. Others appearantly don't wanna. it's fine too. I can see why others think it's a flaw related to variety of types so each player gets a share of mons from all sorts of types.
>>
File: N.png (5KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
N.png
5KB, 500x250px
>>33496061
>He's the only rival to become Champion.
>>
>>33495960
>Why does a teenager with pent-up anger rush off to find something that his entire personality revolves around even though it may be dead?
>Why does he care about this WEAK Pokémon that used to be his little sister's, and basically a member of the family, as Pokémon tend to be considered? Why would he care about THAT?
>complaining about ad hominem (calling you illiterate when you obviously can't read into what's written) while using ad hominem back
Honestly I suspect you're baiting at this point. The writing in this game was actually good, anon.
>>
>>33496040
Person who mentioned lack of Fire-types here

Personally I do as you described - I don't like to use the same mons as prominent characters (to a degree.) I don't like seeing another character using the same mon as I do just because I kind of view them as "mine." It's just an overall preference, though, but it's especially annoying with the rival's mons. I like it better when we both have completely diff mons, so it really annoys me that I can't use my fav starter unless I want to limit my Fire choices.
>>
>>33496108
First point:
Why would a teenager who develops his personality around a pokemon be the best rival?
Second point:
I will give you that, but caring to go to such lengths and revolve all his wishes, dreams and behavior in it? Quite forced
Third point:
The fact I told your taste was bad isn't ad hominem because that was an opinion and deduction based on the points I made, not some random personal attack to try to invalidate your point as you did.
>>
>>33495439
None, they're all shit.
>Blue is just an arrogant ass who wants to be the best
>Silver is a plain old asshole who becomes kinder after you kick his ass
>Brendan/May give up
>Barry is an ADHD autist who just wants to be stronger
>Cheren is Blue but not arrogant
>Bianca is pathetic
>N is an autist and blind as fuck
>Hugh: muh rage, muh purrloin
>XY rivals are all shit
>Hau is shit
Actually, I think Gladion is probably the best. He just needs more screentime.
>>
>>33496135
I guess I can understand that. Still though, I find that very strange.
>>
>>33496155
>Bianca is pathetic

she isn't. she just isn't exactly made for being a trainer and is going to pursue a different career path by becoming the professor's assistant.
also, she kinda has low self esteem because your dad is total idiot who would rather cripple his daughter in her life choices and her development and played it off as "sheltering her" rather than truly encouraging her to find her way in the world and survive based on her own strength, wit and virtue. he did change his mind but that is shitty dad if he ever thought like that at any time.
>>
>>33496225
She actively disparages herself after losing to you later in the game. That's why I'm referring to her as pathetic.
>>
>>33496146
First point:
I don't see why it would make him a bad rival. Their actions hurt his sister, and his frustrations manifested themselves as a desire to revilve that, fueled by boyhood misdirection.
Second point:
Meh, I don't think it's forced. I can see why someone might subjectively not like it, but it's not like it's just some small thing. He's a misguided youth that is obsessed with a tragedy. It's actually a common plotline - a child loses one of his or her family members, and seeks them out or goes for vengeance, or any combination of that. It's not that novel, but it's definitely valid imo. So it's not forced in my opinion.
Third point:
I mean... it is an ad hominem, though. Completely irrelevant and an insult, even if you didn't mean it that way (ignoring you opening with calling me illiterate too.) In any case, sorry about the ad hominem in the first place, cus I can see you're actually just opinionated now (which is nothing I can complain about.)

Also pardon the late reply.
>>
>>33496244
yeah, she does that but it only is low self-esteem. I mean what else would occasionally pulling her hat into her face mean?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.