[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It feels like Pokemon games should be a lot more fun than they are.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: mayy lmao.jpg (589KB, 1100x800px) Image search: [Google]
mayy lmao.jpg
589KB, 1100x800px
It feels like Pokemon games should be a lot more fun than they are.
>>
>>33466605
my absurd fantasy pokemon game is one where there's real-time combat and each pokemon performs differently
but such a massive undertaking would be essentially impossible
>>
>>33466951
one with gameboy zelda tier dungeons would be nice
>>
>>33466605
All I really want is a less hand holding and more to explore (optional side things) and I feel like we'll get that with gen 8 on switch. It'll be a console game so it has to be meaty so I'm assuming there's going to be a variety between each road block
>>
A strange observation I had the other day is that Pokémon and Dark Souls have a lot in common. Here me out: they both have particular areas you must go to to heal (except for healing items you can get there,) they both have you return there if you die/faint, they both (originally at least) have a large world with open areas that you progressively unlock more of, and they both have a lot of customizability and draw based on what you decide to use. You can play through Pokémon with 6 Raticate if you want, and you can use only a Broken Straight Sword in Dark Souls; you can do a Nuzlocke in Pokémon or a no Estus run in Dark Souls... they are pretty similar in terms of appeal if you boil it down to their core nature rather than gameplay itself.

But one thing that sets them apart? In Dark Souls, you can continue on your own, with little handholding, and learn the world by yourself, by reading certain descriptions or inferring from the environment. There are cutscenes, sure, but that's not where all the narrative is drawn from.

In Pokémon, they actually used to be like this, in a sense! You would sludge through a route and feel accomplished reaching a city and a Pokémon Center; you might be greeted by an NPC that drops a little lore; and you can learn about the world via Pokédex entries.

But Pokémon has gone the way of the "casul." They made the narrative easier to understand, they made it not as much of a challenge to get to a point to heal, and they reward the player for... basically anything.

There is room for narrative in Pokémon. BW and BW2 did it best imo. And I felt that the original Dark Souls (the one I'm most familiar with) was a bit light on story. But I think Pokémon could definitely learn from it. People like overcoming obstacles; even if that is beating your rival after 2 or 3 close matches rather than dying 16 times to Ornstein and Smough. 1/2
>>
>>33468663
2/2
But you know what? You need to overcome to get enjoyment out of it. You need to surmount an obstacle to be able to be satisfied by the slog. If every NPC healed you in Dark Souls and there were twice as many bonfires... would it really be better? What if you had to follow just one path, and they only let you use the same old weapons over and over again? What if Dark Souls' bosses had a bonfire right in front of them every time?

Would it still be fun?

Pokémon doesn't need to be hard, and it doesn't need to get rid of its story.

It just needs to do it in a way that the player is rewarded by. It's boring otherwise.
>>
>>33468676
Wholeheartedly agree.

Find it interesting how you distinguish some of the factors in Dark Souls that have made people love and revisit the games

I love to revisit the old pokémon games, and it is in the revisit you build the fervency. The new ones lack subtelty, room for own rythm and narrative imagination, which kinda hinders this process. Of course with what you mentioned, the lack of rewarding challenges.
>>
>>33466951
Real time combat could be entertaining, some sort of Ni No kuni I guess
>>
>>33466605
You can thank Masuda and Ohmori for that.
>>
>>33466605
yeah. it's because they're so linear. if they were open world, with more side quests they'd be... perfect. Skyrim with pokemon, essentially. I'm getting a boner just thinking about it.
>>
File: 1457421206847.jpg (665KB, 600x700px) Image search: [Google]
1457421206847.jpg
665KB, 600x700px
>>33466605
I feel the opposite? Pokemon games are so simple and barebones yet I have such a good time with them. I
>>
>>33466605
Honestly, they just don't explore the nuances of the Pokemon world well enough. You've got this utopian planet full of strange creatures, and yet it essentially plays out like any other game but with a few monsters in the tall grass, or occasionally one blocking your path. Same cities, same buildings, same transportation as the real world.

It should focus more on things that could only happen in the Pokemon world. Traveling with your Pokemon seems like you're on your own until you get attacked by something. Why not travel around on the back of your buddy Rapidash? Or grow berries on the back of your Torterra? Even soar on your Staraptor? Why don't other people do this in the world? Friendly tournaments? Expeditions?

It just feels so narrow in what you can do in the games compared to the imagination of the kids that play the game. Look at fan art, look at what people always say they want with the open world Pokemon game, look at the imaginative Pokemon fantasies that we used to have- why on earth is none of that ever realized in the games? It's always a slight tease of an idea that leaves you wanting more.
>>
>>33466605
Nah, Pokemon is shit
>>
>>33468854
>Open World
Please kys
But do it quickly
>>
>>33468873
I'm not entirely behind an open world Pokemon game, especially if the turn based combat would disappear, but everyone and my mom always says they want it. I don't think they actually want an open world, it's more the freedom that an open world game gives you.

I just think the focus of the games should be on what makes them unique: pokemon and your quest to discover them all. If going open world means that will be better realized, so be it.
>>
>>33468873
>>33468880
If they got the Monolith and Zelda team on board they could maybe make it work. BotW and XBCX's open world were brilliantly done.
>>
>>33468663
>>33468676
>>33468765
Miyazaki for gen 8 director!
>>
>>33468880
> pokemon and your quest to discover them all
how to descibe any generic adventure game
Pokemon isn't about exploration, don't expect for impossibles
>>
>>33468908
Are you retarded?
The whole point of the games have been to catch them all, and filling the Pokedex. The thing that gets you out of the starter town and even begins your journey at all is the notion that ten-year-olds leave their families and go on a journey of self-discovery in the pokemon world, which is only given a sense of direction when the Prof hands you a pokedex and a starter.
>>
>>33468942
>the whole point is to chatch them all
You are answering yourself
>>
>>33466605
All i want is an open world Pokemon full 3d game.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.