[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was it so popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 4

File: xyz.jpg (226KB, 1080x1294px) Image search: [Google]
xyz.jpg
226KB, 1080x1294px
I don't get it.
>>
>>33420416
Lots of underages.
>>
>>33420416
It wasn't. It was a commercial failure in Japan. Just because pedros and 13 year olds loved it so much means little.
>>
The reason why I liked XY&Z personally was becuase it was constantly moving. This is due to it being a short season of course, but it never felt like things dragged out too much.

It made the anime feel exciting to watch, not knowing that we'll have a gym battle then 15 episodes of nothing happening happening inbetween - Instead the plot was constantly moving forward, even if it wasn't gym battles.

The animation was good too and I really liked Ash in XY(&Z), he felt legitimately competent and likeable as a character.

I thought Clemont and Bonnie were great supports too. I also liked how they expanded the anime abit with the ME stories and tied that in for the finale.

XY was a bit slower, but I still think it was pretty good. Not the best, but good.
>>
>>33420423
>It was a commercial failure in Japan.
Sauce?
>>
It's the only season of the anime that isn't entirely shit
>>
I didn't watch it, but i think it has a great character design. Ash looks adult, a grown up version of his original self, and the other character look cool

SM anime instead...
>>
>>33420432
The ratings were ass. Constantly getting beat yo Kai watch and out of 10 ratings wise.

Only edgy pre teens like it
>>
>>33420440
I asked for a sauce though. It doesn't matter if one thing beat it out, where is it overall in the charts?
>>
Had the lowest amount of filler, the battles were great and the group was probably the best he has ever traveled with. Like, it is pretty clear why it was so well-liked, you'd need to be autistic not to see it.
>>
>>33420436
It's a show for kids. Like, for little kids. "Adult" character designs won't make it better. Cute designs could.
>>
>>33420449
But the whole Serena faggotry was shit

But Clemont became useless like DP Brock when Ash won his Gym Battle

But Alain is a shitty unstoppable character

But Ash lied to that Furfrou dude
>>
>>33420460
The Serena faggotry is mostly overblown here. For most of the series it was restricted to a background event in a handful episodes, and got focus only on like five episodes or so. It's not as if it was a soap opera.
>>
>>33420469
I was talking about Amourshipping.
>>
>>33420473
So was I:

>For most of the series it was restricted to a background event in a handful episodes, and got focus only on like five episodes or so. It's not as if it was a soap opera.

I was saying that people talk as if amourshipping dominated the series, which it didn't. The crushing majority of the episodes didn't even touch on it.
>>
>>33420452
wrong
kids love more adult characters
>>
>>33420452
Also, I hope with "cute" you're not talking about SM terrifying anime.
>>
>>33420569
Not in japan
>>
>>33420416
F R O G
R
O
G
>>
>>33420449
>Had the lowest amount of filler
Oh god no. Only the last quarter had low amount of fillers because they had thoroughly fucked up the pacing in the first 3/4 as it was pure and utter filler hell. You just didn't realize it because you were distracted by all the shiny grafix.
>>
>>33420445
The anime's success is measured in merchandise sales, not ratings - and at this point in the series XY had much more merchandise than SM, not to mention what happened later in XYZ with Ashninja. But if you want to talk about rating, so far SM has had more episodes (4) out of top 10 than XY at this point (episode 39).
Again, not that it matters, anyway.
>>
I'm considering watching XY, but there's something I'm curious about. Is Serena an interesting character? I enjoyed May and Dawn, but between the romance and Performances feel like watered-down contests, I get the feeling I might not like her as much. Is the romance easy to watch? Are Perfomances interesting enough?
>>
>>33420651
The only "good character" in XY is Eureka.
>>
>>33420636
True, but I'm questioning how >>33420423
can think any season of the Pokemon anime was/is a "commercial failure". Commercial failure does not mean just lower ratings after all.
>>
>>33420666
Shitposting from the anime thread.
And you're right, in this kind of series ratings could be well below 1.0 and the parent company (TPC) wouldn't give two shits about it, as long as the anime merchandise is still selling strong.
>>
>>33420651
The romance doesn't dominate the series and is more of a really minor subplot. I thought it was cute and an interesting different dynamic that didn't take too long for itself. The anime definitely isn't a soap opera because of it.
>>
>>33420651
Performances are only good if you like idolshit. Serena is otherwise a very boring character and her "romance" barely get development unless you count her sometimes spilling spaghettis as development. See >>33420661
>>
>>33420636
Source about the merchandising ? Because I read the opposite, with Z-ring being very popular.
>>
>>33420423
Young people don't care about TV anymore, they can just watch their anime on the internet and pokemon is easy to find every series gets lower ratings than the last so it was to be expected for SM to get lower ratings than XY.

The last episode of XYZ had a rating of 3.0 and the episode was very popular because of the kiss. As one notices very well the ratings do not say how popular an anime is and if the ratings really would say then the last episode of XYZ should not be popular. The anime ''Sazae-san'' has the best ratings and isn't popular.. I just wonder why

http://www.nhk.or.jp/anime/anime100/ani_report/index.html
>>
>>33420741
So it's popular but doesn't produce ratings? Then why should TPC cater to illegal streamers
>>
>>33420754
It's only popular among people that shouldn't watch the anime in the first place. And they are a minority.
>>
>>33420754
>Then why should TPC cater to illegal streamers
Isn't Pokemon being broadcaster for free anyways? I thought the main reason for the anime to exist is to sell the games and other merchandise, which "illegal streams" achieve just as well as the legal ones.
>>
>>33420754
The ratings come from TV and not from internet but it does not mean the TV ratings tell the truth because the internet is much more popular than TV. Nowadays everyone has internet or a mobile phone
>>
>XY(Z) arc, Origins, and Generations all try to be more serious/mature/whatever
>Pokemon fans that aren't normies: It's all edgy shit for 13 year olds

Why is it so hard for the Pokemon anime to try and appeal to all ages rather than just kids? I mean, I'm not asking for edgy shit too. That's not Pokemon, but any attempt to try and move beyond that is met with what was said above. It's like the concept of a Pokemon anime can't find that middle ground, and sadly both the writers and fans would rather keep it that way. I guess it's better to hate what you're familiar with than to try something new and end up hating it too?
>>
>>33420813
Because there is no middle ground. Look at Digimon or Yugioh when they try to appeal to all ages. Shit does not work as trying to please everybody will most likely mean, at best, you'll make them happy only half of the time. Different age group simply just have different taste. Now factor in 20 years of animation and there's a limit to how many people you can pander to.
>>
>>33420813
I don't consider most of Generations or Origins to be edgeshit, but XYZ had quite of a bit of stuff I'd consider as such. Alan's character arc was a lot of angst that barely made any sense if you spent 5 seconds thinking about it and a lot of the shit involving Team Flare or Ash trying to master Ash-Greninja was forced drama. On the other hand, cops trying catch the boss of a huge crime syndicate in Generations isn't what I'd consider edgy, just an attempt to try to depict a "realistic" Pokemon world. Origins was almost nothing but a retelling of the games so I don't understand why anyone would call it edgy, unless you consider the sheer existence of Megazard X to be that.

And I say this as someone who mostly enjoys all three of them.
>>
File: DigimonTamers03DVD-F1.jpg (704KB, 1194x1686px) Image search: [Google]
DigimonTamers03DVD-F1.jpg
704KB, 1194x1686px
>>33420847
Yeah, this is a good example. Tamers is the darling of older fans for being darker and edgier Digimon, but at the time it was airing, it was not as popular with younger fans as the lighter, earlier seasons.
>>
>>33420790
so better to cater to kids. who will watch show on tv and buy the merch. instead of the teenagers and adults who stream from phone and make 0 dollars for them
>>
File: Digimon-Frontier-0.jpg (356KB, 1194x1686px) Image search: [Google]
Digimon-Frontier-0.jpg
356KB, 1194x1686px
>>33420870
And furthermore, with the next season, they overcorrected to the lightest, most kiddy tone they've ever had and produced one of the least popular seasons with fans of all ages and almost killed the entire anime series.
>>
>>33420416
Good looking, cool battles. That's really all I care about, so it was the best Pokemon has been. Plus it had a bunch of my favorite Pokemon scattered among the rivals and Ash.
>>
>>33420888
They get the most money from teenagers / adults because the children are only the minority
>>
>>33420416
Cause Selenafags overrated it.
>>
>>33420741
>>33420754
>>33420790
>>33420888
Disregarding the fact that entire ratings thing is meaningless in the first place due to already mentioned factors, the shitposters that sperg about it aren't making sense anyway. The "ratings" they keep pointing to are top 10 lists for specific weeks - they're literally saying that shows that are among the 8th-12th or so most watched shows every single week are commercial failures nobody watches. How many shows to you think DON'T make it onto those lists, 50? 60? You kinda need to have high ratings to be on the thing in the first place.
>>
It's popular because Ash is now a bland, strong shonen protagonist with a love interest, so people want to live vicariously through him.

>>33420651
Serena was good at first, before she found her calling. She had a sisterly relationship with Bonnie, she tried out a few things to see what stuck, and grew as a trainer, albeit not as much as the other girls. Her crush on Ash was an important motivator, but it didn't eclipse her character.

But I feel that after she got into Showcases, most of her character spotlights revolved around Ash or Showcases,and Shwocases themselves were shallow, boring, and offered little in the way of challenge. Her character suffered for it.

I agree with >>33420661 on Bonnie being great. Unlike Serena and Clemont, she doesn't bury herself in Ash's ass all the time. The group structure was pretty poor, since they all just revolved around Ash. But Bonnie was able to have good chemistry with everyone. And also she killed Lysandre.

Alain's a good character too. He's fleshed out, has a good character arc, and has a lot o interesting character dynamics. You'd think he's just a generic edgelord, but he's pretty cool.
>>
>>33420416
Because it was well drawn and made sense
Unlike the current Ashnime in which a poorly drawn Ash goes back to school
>>
>>33421221
What the fuck are "showcases"?
>>
>>33421248
Dub name for Tripokalons, I think.

>people that criticize the series watched a dub that's widely known for being bad
No surprises there.
>>
>>33421275
Tripokalons are still shit though.
>>
>>33420452
>It's a show for kids. Like, for little kids.

That's the issue
Pokemon was originally a shōnen, and it became SpongeBob tier shit for 4 years old
>>
>>33421275
Never watched the dub, and I have pretty much the same opinion. You guys can't accept any valuable criticism about XY when you are quick to nitpick about SM on everything.
>>
>>33420477
Overall, I'm pretty sure it was touched on in about 30-35 episodes in some form. Mostly one sided of course. That's roughly 1/4 of the series.
>>
>>33421305
>Pokemon was originally a shōnen

And Naruto was originally a hentai
>>
>>33421318
LITERALLY the only person that has said anything negative about SM in this entire thread admitted to not having watched XY in that same post.
>>
>>33421305
Beyond the fact that you have no idea what shonen means, you are totally delusional if you think Pokemon has ever been anything but a Kodomo anime, XY aside.
>>
>>33421305
That's a funny way to spell kodomo.
>>
>>33421333
Neither "shonen" nor "kodomo" are cartoon demographics, moron. The term "Shonen anime" refers to anime adapted from manga printed in shonen manga magazines.
>>
>>33421327
Right >>33421226 >>33421305 >>33420575
are all the same person. And you know very well that I'm talking about XYfags in general, who criticize SM for doing the same things that previous seasons have done, including XY.
>>
>>33421349
I know, but I have to explain it in terms that this retard will understand. Besides, the manga is published in a Kodomo magazine, even if it's very different from the anime.
>inb4 "I was only pretending to be retarded"
Fuck off
>>
>>33421360
So you count "say something positive about something other than SM" as "nitpicking SM"? Fuck off already.
>>
File: zw.png (89KB, 628x330px) Image search: [Google]
zw.png
89KB, 628x330px
>>33421360
Almost
Not bad senpai
>>
>>33421275
I just used Showcases because they're an easier name to remember. I watched the subs for this series. And the dub is bad, but I doubt it made Tripokalons more boring than they already were, or make the story shittier than it already was.
>>
>>33421371
Corocoro is a shonen magazine, just one aimed at a relatively young age group. Shonen Sunday is shonen, obviously.
>>
>>33420416
Competent Ash, decent Rocket gang, fantastic rivals, great characterization of Ash's team, battle animations were fanfuckintastic, fillers were mostly enjoyable, pacing was good, amour was a nice change-up and everyone wanted to see Ash win a girl, to date the best depiction of an evil team, great soundtrack, and overall enjoyable to watch.
>>
>>33421377
Do you even read these posts ? They are empty praise of XY whose only purpose is to trash on SM.
>>
>>33421403
This >>33421275 is the post you replied to when you sperged out about "you people" nitpicking SM. You're literally interpreting positive statements about XY as attacks on SM.
>>
>>33420416
Because it was enjoyable unlike the rest of the seasons that are not OS.
>>
>>33420416

It wasn't, not while it was airing.

It got plenty of criticism:

>Serena having no discernible goals or personality outside of her crush on Ash for the first 40 episodes; she did eventually get a goal, but the latter remains, the writers focused more on her crush than her actual character, she suffered for it
>Noibat doing fuck-all
>League was underwhelming; they skipped most of the battles
>Glorifies Ash way too much
>>
>>33421708
Why is glorifying Ash bad? He should to be glorified after being a trainer for long and having been treated like shit by the writers.
>>
>>33421390
>to date the best depiction of an evil team
Sure, it was hype as fuck when XY&Z started and suddenly Team Flare went berserk, with the heroes teaming up while TR acted as a (weak) wild card but the resolution was so poor and the drama so bad it ruined the whole build-up, especially since Gekkougash was also part of the whole thing. Sure, "it's not about the destination, it's about the trip", but Satoshi's actually rather untimely defeat (lots of people were hoping for him to prevail this time around) along with the whole Fleur-de-Lys/Lysandre thing afterwards made it for a very unsatisfying and rather cringeworthy arc ending.
It was as if people were giving you some beautiful flowers, then slapped them off your hands, stomped on them several times and then took a piss on them just to make sure.
>>
>>33422114
See, you're tying the end of the Kalos League into the end of the TF arc. Ash losing to Alain doesn't have shit to do with the end of the TF arc. I'm as salty as the next guy about that, but the TF arc still is the best resolution to an evil team to date. Team Rocket was a joke in both Kanto and Johto, Hoenn was garbage, Sinnoh started great but the ending was lackluster, Plasma was fucked the minute the tsunami happened, and then there's Kalos.

Kalos>Sinnoh>Hoenn>POWER GAP>Kanto/Johto/Unova.
>>
>>33420903
Ironically I remember enjoying this Digimon series the most.
>>
>>33421837
No, just not.
>>
>>33420651
Serena like most Pokémon characters starts out fun and somewhat interesting and gradually becomes more boring and one-note.
The romance is nowhere as proeminent as the shitposting about it would make you think, and honestly it was mostly enjoyable and kept at a reasonable ration with everything else.

As for the Performances, I like them, but I'm in the minority. I agree there isn't any depth to it like there is to battles or contests, I just find it cute.
>>
>>33421032
I was going to point this out. Pokémon fans are so used to paying attention only to the top 10 that they seem to thing anything bellow fifth most watched series is a colossal failure, which is very far from the truth. Even at its lowest points, Pokémon never stopped being massively popular.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.