[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: moves you had no idea at all they existed until recently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

File: tantrum.png (122KB, 334x360px) Image search: [Google]
tantrum.png
122KB, 334x360px
ITT: moves you had no idea at all they existed until recently
>>
>>33384010
this move does not work with focus punch, I repeat this move does not work with focus punch
>>
>>33384078
Why would it? You don't even get a message that Focus Punch failed when it fucks up.
>>
>>33384010
Stomping Tantrum had so much potential. If the user's prior move caused the message "But it failed!" to appear, Stomping Tantrum would have 150 BP rather than 75.

It's a stupid premise because you'd rather just use Earthquake in 99% of cases. Very few moves result in "But it failed!"

Also the distribution is pretty meh. Mankey, Primeape, Cubone, Marowak, Golett, Golurk, Guzzlord through level up. And through egg move, Stufful and Bewear. All of those Pokemon would either prefer a different move in its moveslot, or it has Earthquake that
outclasses it.

Most likely you are going to run into Stomping Tantrum primarily through the wild Primeape on Poni Island, or if you are raising an Alolan Marowak and you come across this move when it wants to learn it at Level 43 or through heart scale.
>>
File: why.jpg (67KB, 480x554px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
67KB, 480x554px
>>33384010
>giving a pokemon not found in the wild a signature move
who the fuck does this?
>>
>>33384107
>Heatmor is a special attacker
>give it a physical signature move
>>
>>33384010
Gear Up: Niche move that only Klinklang and Magearna can learn. Raises Attack and Sp. Attack of allied Pokemon with either Plus or Minus by 1 stage.

Shore Up: Pallossand and Sandygast's signature move. In theory it is a pretty good move. Not bulky enough to use it. If Hippowdon or Tyranitar had this move, it would be really fucking useful.

Floral Healing: Move that works in Doubles. Comfey's signature move. Heals more in Grassy Terrain. Comfey isn't used that much in Doubles.
>>
>>33384097
this move has seen some play in doubles tho, since earthquake only has 75 base power basically too because spread damage reduction as it hits everyone, including your ally, so Stomping Tantrum is decent alternative to EQ.

There is also Protect which is common in doubles so you get the double damage more easily.

So fuck off with your singles only analysis.
>>
>>33384116
Heatmor is a mixed attacker, but yes its special attack is higher. Even on a physical set you wouldn't use this move because Heatmor has Flare Blitz now.

What a dumb mistake for Game Freak to give Heatmor a signature move and then have it be able to learn a much more powerful move of its type in the same generation.
>>
>>33384126
>Shore Up heals 66% in sandstorm
Are you sure that won't break Hippowdon or Tyranitar?
>>
>>33384116
Heatmor is hardly just a special attacker. Its mixed. Yeah its SA is 8 points higher, but what real difference does that make?
>>
>>33384142
Stomping Tantrum's double damage effect doesn't work with Protect or similar moves. It's stupid, I know, but that's the way Game Freak wanted it.
>>
>>33384143
There's a small thing Heatmor can do with Fire Lash to Sucker Punch, especially if you hold a Liechi Berry with Gluttony, it's just a shame that Heatmor is both too frail to survive for this situation to play out and too weak to make effective use of it.
>>
>>33384116
>8bp difference in attack stats
>also has nice physical attacks like sucker punch and flare blitz and even curse to boost physically
Physical set seems nice, weaken the foe with Fire lash and finish with sucker punch thx to weakened defence.
>>
>>33384116
I'd use a physical one regardless. It's only a 13-17 point difference and a STAB, 80 base power attack that always lowers defense is pretty amazing.

It sucks mondo hard that its a slow, below-average bulk mixed attacker. But there's sneaky ways you can help mitigate those problems. Gluttony and Snatch particularly.

I'm not saying its amazing (far from it), but Heatmor is a fun pick.
>>
File: nghdgdf.png (54KB, 283x487px) Image search: [Google]
nghdgdf.png
54KB, 283x487px
fucking malamar
>>
>>33384199
I love using topsy turvy on my hp darmanitan
>>
>>33384010
Unless you commonly go to events, who even remembers shit like Happy Hour or Hold Hands
>>
>>33384199
If Malamar had Prankster, it would have allot more use.
>>
>>33384142
>i-it's seen some play on the one/two pokemon that get stab from it at best in this situation that doesn't happen, so fuck off!!!
do some research first
>>
>>33384107
Z-move
>>
Power trip. Was playing a randomizer and a scrafty used it
>>
>>33384605
>he doesn't remember the early VGC Eevee + Krokodile setup
>>
>>33384253

I remember Happy Hour because Z is kinda neat, but that's all.
>>
>>33384010
I wish Tsareena had this
>>
>>33384097
At least Stomping Tantrum might have more use that High Horsepower. High Horsepower happens to have 90 BP, 90%, and no additional effects. To put it in other way, IT IS JUST FUCKING EARTHQUAKE JUST BEING WEAKER AND LESS ACCURATE.

At least it's animation is good.
>>
>>33384149
It probably wouldn't. Hippowdon already has Slack Off and it's UU, and I doubt the extra 16% would be enough to make it OP. Tyranitar maybe, but it's still slow with a billion weaknesses so it'd probably just move up in OU.
>>
File: considerthefollowing.png (82KB, 610x521px) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.png
82KB, 610x521px
everyone's pissing their pants over shore up hippo/tar.
But consider this:
John Stallbreaker (Krookodile) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 176 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Trip
- Bulk Up
- Taunt / Substitute
- Shore Up
>>
>>33384097
It would be so much better if it triggered when a move misses instead of just failing. Then you could do Dynamic Punch shenanigans.
>>
Burn Up. I suspect that it was the signature attack of some Pokemon that didn't make it into the final version of the game. It's such a weird, unique attack, yet the Pokemon who learn it are so irrelevant in SM that you'll never see the attack unless you happen to grab a Growlithe off the one route he's available in.
>>
>>33386515
Yes please. Moxie also viable since it just racks up more and more power.
>>
>>33386679
even then, don't you have to breed it with a typhlosion to get it?
>>
>>33384199
This is really a really fun movie on the battle spot. Let someone set up a swords dance, or a Z-boost, then ruin their day.
>>
>>33386679
It would be good if it let you use a weaker 80bp move if typeless if you lost the fire typing.

What if there was a move like explosion but special, electric and does a 1 instance entry hazard (electric stealth rock) on your side of the field?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170826-003031.png (488KB, 1080x2220px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170826-003031.png
488KB, 1080x2220px
Even though this move specifically helps grass types and only grass types, almost every pokemon that learns it is ground or normal. Only three grass pokemon can learn it.
>>
>>33386831
Through breeding, Paras and Cacnea can learn it as well, but I agree that more grass types should know it.
Unless it is meant to be a team combo thing which is kinda ridiculous.
>>
>>33386866
Yeah, it's a doubles move. The idea is neat, but the execution is lacking.
>>
>>33386857
>clearly meant for double battles
>meant to increase synergy with ground and grass types
>ground and grass have jack dick for synergy
>helping hand is a plain upgrade
>>
>>33386467
While already at the top of ou
>>
>>33384199

>online match
>team has stat-boosting team with Simple ability with Follow Me as a distraction
>they got 6 attack and defense boosts in 3 turns
>getting my shit kicked in, my Malamar comes out
>Malamar used Topsy-Turvy!
>1,2,3 KO's and then a ragequit

Malamar now has a permanent spot on my team.
>>
>>33384253
The Munchlax they gave out at the launch of S/M had Happy Hour, that was the first I heard of the move.
>>
File: DPRomperrocas.png (38KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
DPRomperrocas.png
38KB, 220x165px
Didn't know that there was a rock-type hyper beam until I was looking for an alternative to stone miss
>tfw only Rhyperior gets it
>>
>>33387248
I used this move a lot in Gen V and back then Crustle could also learn it, probably someone else can by now
>>
>>33384097
>Mankey, Primeape, Cubone, Marowak, Golett, Golurk, Guzzlord through level up. And through egg move, Stufful and Bewear.
Wait, Tyrantrum doesn't learn it? What the fuck?
>>
>>33384782
Wait it doesn't? Why is Gamefreak so stingy with movepools nowadays? Golisopod doesn't even get Earthquake and Stone Edge.
>>
side effect is just 10% speed lower
is this the worst attack in the game?
>>
>>33384126
>>33384149
>yfw Shore Up Cradily in sand
>>
>>33387307
Still just rhyperior and dwebble line
Maybe lycanroc D will get it
>>
>>33384107
Give it to Incineroar.
>>
>>33385342
HH is the Doubles alt to EQ, m8. It's stronger than EQ in doubles, but the only downside is it's poor distribution.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.