[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So... Is Deoxys a mythical or a legendary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: Deoxysdppokesafari_2.jpg (37KB, 500x260px) Image search: [Google]
Deoxysdppokesafari_2.jpg
37KB, 500x260px
So...

Is Deoxys a mythical or a legendary?
>>
all Mythicals are legendaries ya goof.
>>
>>33379448
its a shitmon
>>
>>33379454
>having autism
you know exactly what I meant you raging faggot
>>
>>33379448
I guess it's demoted to Legendary now.
>>
>>33379448
Capturable mythical
>>
>>33379464

Still has the fateful encounter tag when caught in ORAS so still mythical.
>>
File: this makes me sad.png (468KB, 1080x1696px) Image search: [Google]
this makes me sad.png
468KB, 1080x1696px
>>33379448
i think its in the grey(gray ?) aria for legendarys and mythicals

also i got warned :( but it is hard for me to type right ao idk what to do, ...this place has been really fun so far and no one else i know knows about pkm so i dont know what to do
>>
>>33379493
lrn 2 spell my man
>>
>>33379454
No, they aren't. Otherwise they wouldn't be assigned to a separate category.

This needs to be stressed.

Legendary Pokemon are those Pokemon that are widely revered in a region. Many people know that they exist, and they play a significant role in the games that they debut in.

Mythical Pokemon are those Pokemon that are so elusive that many people question whether they even exist. They aren't as prominent as Legendary Pokemon, and with the exception of Deoxys in ORAS, Mythical Pokemon are not available in game without an event.
>>
>>33379493
heres what you do.
step 1.
take off the name and tripcode, people will bully you for it
step 2.
type slowly and check for mistakes
step 3.
keep making CUTE posts
>>
>>33379448
Still classified as a Mythical by official sources
>>
>>33379502
Well what about the Tapu, they're widely revered in Alola but they're just sub-legends.
>>
Am I the only who used to call mythicals "event legendaries"?
>>
>>33379515
They're wimpy weak legendaries like the birds or the regis
Why is this a question?
>>
>>33379496
>>33379505
mmm ok. but a friend of mine gave me this tripcode, and told me that i should use it when posting, i lurked here a bit, but he doesnt want it anymore. should i just get rid of it ?
>>
>>33379518
No, countless people call them that.

>>33379515
Sub-legendary or not, these Pokemon are referred to as Legendary in the anime so they are Legendary.

These Pokemon share the same category as Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres. They're Legendary, but something had to exist in the code to differentiate these Pokemon from the more powerful Legendaries (that are banned in competitive play and battle facilities).

In any case, the Tapu still fall into the category of Pokemon that are widely revered and well known.
>>
>>33379540
The best way to get rid of it is to get permabanned. Only the trip will be banned so don't worry.

Go tell /b/ that you're underaged or someshit.
>>
>>33379502
>Dialga, Palkia and Giratina aren't Mythicals
>somehow Shaymin, Darkrai, Genesect are more elusive than literal gods

all that Mythicals mean is that they are from an event and that's it. nothing about being more rare or what not. dumb BITCH
>>
File: 1471494724929.jpg (36KB, 445x397px) Image search: [Google]
1471494724929.jpg
36KB, 445x397px
>>33379530
>Wimpy weak legendaries
> Tapus
>>
>>33379552
pretty much this
>>
>>33379552

It has nothing to do with rarity. It has to do with how people PERCEIVE the Pokemon are.

Gods or not, Dialga and the other Sinnoh dragons are well known gods in the Sinnoh mythology. There are statues in Eterna City depicting these Pokemon.

Very few people know about Shaymin, Darkrai,or Genesect. They were hardly if ever discussed in game.

How many characters or locations referenced Shaymin or Darkrai in game? Oh, just the event locations where they're found. Nothing more.

Genesect of all Pokemon is barely discussed in game. It was a fossilized Pokemon that Team Plasma modified into becoming a deadly weapon. Only Team Plasma people know it exists.
>>
Ive been playing Pokemon for 20 years and never heard people use this mythical shit. Legends are just Legends.

Please remove your autism from my board please. Thanks!
>>
>>33379867
You never heard of it before because it wasn't localized consistently for the first decade of the franchise. But I have no fucking clue how you've never heard the term Mythical after that unless you've just woken up from a coma.
>>
A good place to start would be to figure out if these are official or fan terms and define them
>>
It's a piece of shit.
>>
>>33379867
>I'm a fucking idiot!

FTFY
>>
File: 1501999628246.png (177KB, 501x506px) Image search: [Google]
1501999628246.png
177KB, 501x506px
>>33379867
>"your board"
>he never heard the word mythical
>>
>>33379502
You're pretty dumb bro.
>>
>>33380035
>you're
>>
>>33380051
(you)
>>
>>33379549
Holy shit thats gonna be a shitshow
>>
>>33379456
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>shitmon
>when it's a legendary that can turn into a glass cannon, the fastest Pokémon in the game, or a stallfag's wet dream
No.
>>
>>33380212
>stallfags wet dream
>psychic type
o i am laffin
>>
File: be7.jpg (90KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
be7.jpg
90KB, 1920x1080px
>>33379867
> "I've been mentally ill and a complete idiot for the past 20 years".

Gtfo kid.
>>
>>33379502

Mythicals are categorized as legendaries in the games code. Magearna and Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma all have golden pokedex entries with the rainbow background.
>>
>>33379897

Ive heard of the word of course, but it was never used in discussions of Pokemon. Ever.

>>33379979

Please find a thread in the archive where people invariably agree on "mythicals" and its context in Pokemon. Ill wait.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (169KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
169KB, 1000x750px
>>33380278
>>
File: 81p1Py7LB+L.jpg (318KB, 2206x1212px) Image search: [Google]
81p1Py7LB+L.jpg
318KB, 2206x1212px
>>33380278
Do you want me to post something for every Mythical Pokemon? Because I can, there was a big promotion last year. It was the 20th anniversary, kind of a big deal, maybe you heard about it?
>>
>>33380323
>>33380342

I did not ask for promotional material. My argument was whether people (fans) have ever used the term in relative agreement. Which I have never seen.

Inb4 moving goalposts

>Ive been playing Pokemon for 20 years and never heard people use this mythical shit.
>>
>>33380342
FUCK how did I miss this one?
>>
File: 13684864000086.jpg (86KB, 885x321px) Image search: [Google]
13684864000086.jpg
86KB, 885x321px
>>33380368
You know we have an archive, right? How new are you that you've never seen people throw around the term mythical, and you don't know how to search old posts?

>My argument was whether people (fans) have ever used the term in relative agreement.
Let me guess, now you're going to backpedal more and say that, since there are stubborn bastards like you who never accepted it as an official term, it's not "relative agreement."
>>
It's an Ultra Beast
>>
File: 1478566358284.png (268KB, 496x708px) Image search: [Google]
1478566358284.png
268KB, 496x708px
>>33380379
I missed mew among others.
>>
>>33379867
nice bait

if you've never heard of mythical legendaries before, you haven't been here for more than a month max
>>
>>33380393

>You know we have an archive, right? How new are you that you've never seen people throw around the term mythical, and you don't know how to search old posts?

Like I said, please find a thread in the archive where people invariably agree on "mythicals" and its context in Pokemon.

>Let me guess, now you're going to backpedal more and say that, since there are stubborn bastards like you who never accepted it as an official term, it's not "relative agreement."

No, if you can prove your point Ill take defeat. I just dont understand why youre even arguing if youre unwilling to prove your point if its supposedly that easy. And yes consensus is important because it would prove its not just one or two stubborn bastards using the term.

Nut up or shut up.
>>
>>33379502
Actually it is implied that Shaymin created that one town
>>
>>33380437
Not even around here, but playing in general since it's been used for years in official marketing now.
>>
(you)
https://archive.nyafuu.org/vp/thread/33256230/
This was a few days ago. There's like one or two guys who are as clueless as you, but people brush them off as retards and discussion continues fine because there's a general consensus about what the word mythical means.
>>
>>33380483

Someone with proof. Defeat admitted.

In the schoolyards and the guidebooks I havent heard mythical. It wasnt until 5th gen events that Ive heard it. Maybe its a recent thing.
>>
>>33380496
>Maybe its a recent thing.
I said that to you in my first reply, you cum guzzling faggot. No wonder you never heard of it until now, you can't fucking read.
>>
>>33379448
It's mythical, it's just the first mythical to be made available through normal gameplay. That doesn't "demote" it or whatever.
>>
>>33379448
Is it a mythical myth? Or legendary legend?
>>
>>33380509
Hopefully that becomes a regular thing with third versions/remakes. It would be a great way to keep mythical Pokemon available year round, in a way, while also giving people an incentive to buy GF's latest rehash=$$$
>>
>>33380502

I ignored the post because I wasnt asking about Nintendos use of the term but the fanbase. I said this numerous times. Maybe you need to pick up a book?
>>
>>33380569
>Nintendo
You really are new.
>>
>>33380578

Do you really need to split hairs this much especially after I admitted defeat?

You really are autistic.
>>
>>33380586
Welcome to /vp/
>>
I can't find any earlier pictures of Mew despite it supposedly being officially revealed in the May 1996 issue of CoroCoro, but these are from 1997, and they say 幻のポケモン (Maboroshi no Pokémon; Illusive Pokémon AKA Mythical Pokémon) for Mew. 幻 (Maboroshi) simply means something so rare it might not be real, like an illusion. I doubt that the term had real significance back then, but it came to be adopted for later games for the subset of Pokémon that we call "Mythical".

The second Pokémon movie's Japanese subtitle is 幻のポケモン ルギア爆誕 (Maboroshi no Pokémon Lugia Bakutan; The Illusive Pokémon - Lugia: Explosive Birth). Yet it can be caught through normal gameplay in Gold, Silver, and Crystal, which is the opposite of Mew, so it's likely that it wasn't a defined category by that point. The earliest I can find official info for Celebi is Space World 2000 where it was distributed.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/sw2000/sokuho/26/page06.html
>ゲームの中では絶対にゲットできない、前作で言うミュウのような幻のポケモンなんですね。
>It absolutely cannot be caught in-game, and in that regard it can be said it is most assuredly an illusive Pokémon similar to how Mew was in previous entries.
That's probably the point where it became a completely defined term in Japanese.

Ruby and Sapphire continued the trend with Jirachi and Deoxys, but Lugia and Ho-Oh may have obtained Mythical status since they were no longer required to complete the National Pokédex in any game up through Platinum. They could only be obtained through Colosseum (Ho-Oh), XD (Lugia), or through the Aurora Ticket in-game event from FRLG/Emerald where you go to Navel Rock. It wasn't until HGSS that they seemed to lose Mythical status.

Deoxys is obtainable through regular gameplay in ORAS, so its status as Mythical from that point on can be disputed. Unfortunately there's no National Pokédex in Sun and Moon to use as evidence.
>>
File: a7d652c4[1].jpg (46KB, 300x422px) Image search: [Google]
a7d652c4[1].jpg
46KB, 300x422px
>>33380774
Deoxys not being given away for the 20th anniversary may also count as evidence. But it should be considered
>Deoxys was already normally available in ORAS
>Phione can be bred from Manaphy, which WAS given out
>Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion are all Gen VI Mythicals which had separate distributions
>Magearna and Marshadow were Gen VII Mythicals and this distribution was for Gen VI games
>>
>>33379448
>Legendary
>Mythical

What's the difference?
>>
>>33379448
Every official source still says it's Mythical.
It's a fucking curse. Being encountered normally in ORAS did not free Deoxys from it.
>>
>>33380444
Except they're officially referred to as mythical pokemon by Nintendo/game freak/pokemon company.

It doesn't matter if some autists on vp want to be contrarian, that's the official name for these type of pokemon.
>>
>>33380871
Mythical Pokémon aren't required to complete any Pokédex. Think
>Mew
>Celebi
>Ho-Oh and Lugia from Gen III to Platinum
>Jirachi
>Deoxys
>Phione
>Manaphy
>Darkrai
>Shaymin
>Arceus
>Victini
>Keldeo
>Meloetta
>Genesect
>Diancie
>Hoopa
>Volcanion
>Magearna
>Marshadow

Then there are Legendary Pokémon, which are further split into minor and major variants, the primary difference being what is and isn't allowed in battle facilities.

Minor (allowed in battle facilities)
>Articuno/Zapdos/Moltres
>Raikou/Entei/Suicune
>Regirock/Regice/Registeel
>Latias/Latios
>Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
>Heatran
>Regigigas
>Cresselia
>Cobalion/Terrakion/Virizion
>Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus
>Type: Null/Silvally
>Tapu Koko/Tapu Lele/Tapu Bulu/Tapu Fini
>Nihilego/Buzzwole/Pheromosa/Xurkitree/Celesteela/Kartana/Guzzlord

Major (not allowed in battle facilities)
>Mewtwo
>Lugia/Ho-Oh
>Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza
>Dialga/Palkia/Giratina
>Reshiram/Zekrom/Kyurem
>Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde
>Cosmog/Cosmoem/Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma

There's some debate as to whether Mythical Pokémon are also Legendary Pokémon. Nobody disagrees that Phione is Mythical since it's not required to be seen or caught in any game, but some might disagree that it's Legendary.
>>
>>33381105
>Nihilego/Buzzwole/Pheromosa/Xurkitree/Celesteela/Kartana/Guzzlord

UltraShits aren't legendary
>>
>>33381164
They're under the sub-legendary list in the game's programming, so yes they are. They're just in a subgroup that we call "Ultra Beasts". It's like saying Regirock/Regice/Registeel aren't legendary Pokémon, they're Regis, or that Tapu Koko/Tapu Lele/Tapu Bulu/Tapu Fini aren't legendary Pokémon, they're Tapus.

If the game classifies them as legendary, then they're legendary, and we can call them Ultra Beasts or Tapus or Regis or whatever group we can think of.
>>
>>33379502

Legendary has two meanings though:

the specific, meaning things like box legends, thirds, etc.

and the wider meaning, which refers to sub-legendaries, legendaries and mythicals.

assuming that >>33379454 was using the latter term, they're technically correct.
>>
>>33380774
the way I see it:
there's legendaries the umberella term, which refers to unbreedable (that is, cannot be bred for), one-per-game pokemon, which almost always appear at the end of their generation in the pokedex.

within this term are 3 sub-catagories:

Sub-legendaries: can be used at battle facilities/competitions. not restricted like other legendaries.

Legendaries: (the more specific variant) obtainable in-game without external influence (events, be they real-life, wifi, or from another game)

Mythicals: require external influence to obtain.

by this classification., deoxys moved from mythical to legendary in gen VI.
>>
Deoxys has the fateful encounter tag.

There's also dialogue in ORAS at the Space Center's second floor AFTER the Delta Episode that calls Deoxys a Mythical, so it is one. Case closed.
>>
File: 1502761687429.png (126KB, 714x593px) Image search: [Google]
1502761687429.png
126KB, 714x593px
>>33381164
This.
>>
>>33380444
Literally everyone in the thread other than you is agreeing that it's the proper term. Why go to the archive. This thread IS the proof.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.