[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Watch as Monster Hunter does a better Pokemon game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

File: MonsterHunterStoriesGroup.jpg (601KB, 1472x828px) Image search: [Google]
MonsterHunterStoriesGroup.jpg
601KB, 1472x828px
Seriously, I dont give a fuck if you actually like MH or hate the shit out of it, this game is a perfect example why Gamefreak needs a cleaning out.

>Explorable world

Check

>Colorful art style that works within the system's limits

Check

>Character customization that doesnt impede story

Check

>Characters actually fucking emote

Check

This game is literally doing everything pokemon should be doing nowadays. Its not even that game breaking, its just a decent game. Fucking GF, get your shit together.
>>
>>33362376
Is it out already? I'm dying to play this.
>>
Is this game worth it?
I played all 3ds Mh but since it sold like shit idk
>>
>>33362387
Demo is, and its pretty lengthy. Progress also saves onto the main game.
>>
Ok but won't happen
>>
>>33362376
Fuck off /v/
>>
>>33362397
Oh, cool. Gonna try it out.
>>
>>33362402
Youre most likely right. Probably wont happen.

Just pisses me off that they can't be bothered to even half ass their games. They've been handed a golden goose, bursting with potential, and they consistently do jack shit with it.
>>
Where is Charizard eevee gengar??? I need those monsters
>>
>>33362423
They didn't get handed it shit. They made the fucking series. They can what they want with it
>>
This shit is not monster hunter, they ruined MH with this
>>
>>33362376
Those designs look generic as fuck though. And designs were always the main selling point for pokemon to me.
>>
>>33362437
The current directors didn't direct the early games, nig nog. Some of them helped with shit early on, but none of them had the original idea, or even did the early key decision making design choices that defined what the series was. Even fucking Miyamoto had more influence on the design than Masuda did.

The torch was passed on to an incompetent team that's allowed the games to stagnate entirely.

>The can do what they want with it

Yeah, no shit. Doesn't make their consistently sub-par quality excusable.
>>
>>33362376
Wow every is a dragon
>>
>>33362464
It's funny gen 4 and 5 are best gens. The ones that satoshi was not involved in
>>
>>33362488
Gen 1 and 2 made sense for the time period. To an extent 3 as well.

Gen 4 and 5 is when they started to drag their asses. They should've been modernizing the formula at that point. The best they did were simple QOL changes.

Gen 6 and 7 are inexcusably archaic in their design, holding so closely to the formula that even their main shake up with Trials were just reskinned gyms. They somehow even regressed in the exploration field, making the games even more hallway-esque than even fucking Gen 1, a god damn gameboy game.

I know this board doesn't play anything but Pokemon, but most series dont stay exactly the same after 20 years. They actually try and update and change as technology allows for more dev freedom.

>>33362463
I do prefer Pokemon designs myself. But gameplay wise, its lacking.
>>
>>33362516
Core mario is litteraly him saving peach from browser for the last 30 years.

It's funny you said people on this only play Pokemon. Only reason I buy Nintendo systems is for Pokemon. I have pc and ps4 with tons of games.

Pokemon owns monster collecting genre that ain't changing anytime soon
>>
>Character customization
>impede story
When has this ever happened in Pokemon
>>
>>33362516
>but most series dont stay exactly the same after 20 years. They actually try and update and change as technology allows for more dev freedom.
Yeah man everyone loves the new Final Fantasy games
>>
>>33362544
That's not the fucking gameplay core and you know it. Mario's core gameplay is platforming, which is not only something where sticking to a formula isn't as bad, but Nintendo has always tried to innovate with Mario to boot. Just look at Odyssey. Your point is invalid.
>>
>>33362544
>Core mario is saving princess

lolwut. Thats the story, not the gameplay, retard.

The identity of Mario being a platformer hasn't changed, but the style of play certainly has. Play Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Mario 64, and then Galaxy, and youll see why what you said was fucking stupid. Even something like 64 to Sunshine, which were similar in concept, were wildly different in execution due to a completely different control scheme element.

Pokemon doesn't need to ditch the "catch, explore, battle" identifiers to be good. It just needs to play like a game that's not just a reskinned fucking gameboy game.

>Pokemon owns monster collecting genre that ain't changing anytime soon

K. Again, that doesnt make it immune to criticism.

I'm pointing out why something else is doing what it wants to do better.
>>
>>33362564
The problem is. You want Pokemon to be like another game

Pokemon is unique on its own right why try yo mimic another franchise.

In the op you litteraly describing exactly what in a game. It already exists go play it MH.

Don't play Pokemon anymore. The formula is what made it popular it's never gonna change nor should it
>>
>>33362561
>One series changed for the worst, so they must all

Besides, by your logic, Pokemon follows the opposite formula, staying the same for the worst. Player retention is at a minimum. They sell well, but hey, so does FF.
>>
Pokemon changed even the slightest fucking things in Gen 7 (No traditional gyms, no HMs) and yet I STILL see faggots whining about the lack of those two shitty things. It would not go over well with the core Pokemon audience. The only ones asking for 'le skyrim breath of the wild open world mmorpg' are people who DON'T play Pokemon.
>>
>>33362605
>Can't even name a single franchise that supports his argument
>>
>>33362376
>battle system is LITERAL rock paper scissors.

Pokemon gets a lot of shit about this but it's way better comparatively.
>>
File: 1458351288213.png (81KB, 1006x930px) Image search: [Google]
1458351288213.png
81KB, 1006x930px
>>33362611
>one dude baiting for (You)s says he hates that SM removed HMs
>literally everywhere else on the web everyone loved HMs being removed
>lol i can't believe pokemon fans hated HMs being removed what a bunch of faggots
>>
>>33362597
I want Pokemon to be a GOOD game. Not something un-pokemon like.

The elements in MH Stories aren't "un-Pokemon like". They're almost exactly what SM aimed to want to do, MH Stories is just doing it better.

I know this might sound crazy, but when the designers and adverts say "explore a region!" I want to actually explore. Not get taken on a theme park ride.

>Dont play Pokemon anymore

Again. Doesn't make it immune to criticism. Saying "lol just dont partake in it!" is a weak, blanket excuse to try and absolve something of its short comings.

>>33362552
The opposite has happened. Pokemon has this weird mentality where the main character needs to be an actual character, instead of an OC, yet it tries to do both. Youre extremely limited in what you can actually customize, as if its the MC actually going out and shopping, instead of just making your own character. Thats why they feel the arbitrary need to contextualize things like hair changing, or eye color as contacts, instead of it just being a video game first and foremost.
>>
If you want to play story based rpg go play persona

If you want to play non turn based rpg play final fantasy

If you want to play open world RPG go play the witcher.

If you want to slashing monsters game go play monster Hunter

I just Pokemon to be comfey collecting monster game that everyone can enjoy and competive battle with friends
>>
>>33362611
No HMs should've been a fucking thing since Gen 3. I wont applaud minor changes like that 10+ years too late.

>>33362624
The fact that you even need specific franchises named for you is really pathetic. /vp/ only plays fucking Pokemon, I swear to god.

Let me help you out though. Zelda and Mario have both undergone several revisions through out their, much longer life span than pokemon, and have done so to consistent critical appeal, with very few failures.
>>
>>33362645
I really don't know what you're trying to say you want here. A create-a-character? What does that have anything to do with the story? The protags in Pokemon games have always had very little personality or backstory. The customization in S/M is no more limited in anything but options than, say, Grand Theft Auto V. Clothes, hair, hair color, etc.
>>
>>33362376
No. You have terrible taste.
>>
>implying MHS doesn't frame drop even harder with insane pop-in
>implying Pokemon has issue with emoting besides the self-insert MC
>implying Pokemon's character customization gets in the way of anything

man I like MHS but don't act like the game's gonna sell more than ten copies
>>
>>33362663
>Still can't name a single one
Mario is STILL getting traditional platformers and Zelda got one non-traditional game in 30 years and surprise surprise there is a vocal minority (HINT: YOU) saying they don't prefer it to the traditional Zelda titles.
>>
>>33362697
The irony with this retarded OP's argument is that both MHS and MHW are switching up the format and they're both going to fail miserably in Japan, where it matters.
>>
>>33362708
according to vgcahrtz(lel) it sold around 350,000 copies.

But even capcom has admitted sales were very underwhelming.
>>
File: 1502406844939.jpg (44KB, 443x538px) Image search: [Google]
1502406844939.jpg
44KB, 443x538px
>>33362376
It's cute you'd pick a spin off title for a series that has been pumping out portable rehashes of the same game for years and still hasn't changed the formula outside "grind materials from giant monsters".
>>
>>33362376

>Be amazed as its review scores are lower than Pokémon Sun and Moon!
>Mesmerize as it sells a five-digit number in North America!
>Thrill as OP shills this game over and over again!
>>
>>33362376
Meh, finished the demo today, its okay at best. The battle system and the "tanky" controls of your mount don't do this game any favours. I can also see the randomly generated rare dungeons getting annoying in the full version. Couldn't finish one of the subquest cause an Arzuros den just refused to spawn.
>>
>Shit Battle system

Check
>>
>>33362589
>Play Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Mario 64, and then Galaxy,
Play Red, Ranger, Mystery Dungeon and then Conquest
>>
>>33362897
How do review scores and sales numbers invalidate MHS from being a genuinely good monster rising game that Gamefreak should draw inspiration from in the future?

>>33362376
To be fair, it's easier to make a new game than to change an existing line of games. Admittedly, Gamefeak should've started implementing serious changes ages ago, and not just from 5th generation onward. At this point it's probably too late, since everyone is used to the formula and will reject any significant changes.
>>
>>33363142
Those are spin-offs though
>>
>>33362376
>>Colorful art style that works within the system's limits
Not with that framerate and pop-in, no.

>>Character customization that doesnt impede story
What the fuck does this even mean?

Also you forgot that without recolors it has -43- monsters(despite being a 13 yo franchise) and doesn't even let you use all the big ones you fight.
>>
>>33362708
Why wouldn't mhw sell well in japan?
>>
It doesn't even have as many monsters as Red and Blue.
>>
>>33365039
Because it's completely westernized and gets rid of all the grindy shit Japan really loves.
>>
>>33362516
They're trying to have one foot in each world. GF is invested in the nostalgia of Pokemon, so I'm guessing they're too scared to touch the tired old Gym and League shtick that really needs to be retired or made more interesting. But they also want to 'innovate', so they do so with these tiny steps like Mega Evolution and Z Moves. It's not really innovation, but it's shiny and new
>>
>>33362654
It's kind of sad that people have such little expectations for the franchise now
>>
>>33362698
Not the same anon, but you just fucked up your argument
Do you think an enterprise cares about the minority, no matter how vocal?
They know full well there's always people that won't like the product, so they focus on the general market performance instead
>>
The demo was cool,but isn't this game dead on arrival?
Heard Japan sales sucked.
>>
>>33365995
It still sold miles better than Capcom's other attempt at kids multimedia franchise, Gaist Crusher, so they're probably going to stick with it for a sequel. Maybe if the anime wasn't an unwatchable snoozefest it could see a success similar to Yokai Watch.
>>
>>33365676
Is this confirmed at all?
>>
>>33362611
I miss gyms
>>
>>33362813
This too.
Pokemon does some interesting stuff with their spin offs.
>>
>>33362447
Except they didn't because mh mainline games are still a thing, this is literally just a spin off like mystery dungeon
>>
>>33366522
Nah, /v/ is just butthurt because MHW comes out for literally everything except Nintendo Switch
>>
>>33366581
It only comes out for ps4
>>
>>33366634
No, it also has confirmed XBone and PC releases, though the latter doesn't launch until a few months after the consoles.
>>
>>33366673
Not in Japan
>>
File: 8da.png (53KB, 285x277px) Image search: [Google]
8da.png
53KB, 285x277px
>Shitty draw distance
Check
>Frame skip
Check
>Simplistic rock paper scissor battles
Check
To be fair, the demo was fun, but this game made me realised that you can't do a good looking open world with good models on the 3DS. Some character didn't properly rendered before I was two step next to them
(Also the story is stupid, we rob eggs from monsters and beat the shit out of them while doing it. But somehow the bad guy is a bad guy because "Killing them is bad !!!")
>>
File: 1503176635393.jpg (31KB, 638x540px) Image search: [Google]
1503176635393.jpg
31KB, 638x540px
>combat is rock paper scissors
>world looks more empty and underwhelming compared to core MH games
>can't even control your monsters

I even liked the Stories demo, but you're delusional if you think it's any better. Jesus christ. Just play and enjoy the games rather than screaming like a autist over which one might be better in your headcanon.
>>
Unlike any Pokemon game I actually had fun with this game. It has better facial customization, this isn't a lie. And your character actually emotes which is nice. I agree that the world is pretty bland, but the great part is you could ride your Pokemon, it needs more ambient music. The models look pretty great. Buy rather from the ultra realistic monster hunter cutscenes are so ugly compared to in game cutscenes, its so disgusting to see Dan's big mouth in detail, not in the cartoonish style it had in game.

In just a single demo I've never been more excited to play a game that isn't pokemon
>>
>>33367729
>you can ride your Pokemon
I already fucked this post already. Give me my (you)'s I suppose
>>
>>33362423

You don't do anything with a Golden Goose, retard, you let it sit there and pop out golden eggs. Once you chop open the goose and change the format, it stops laying eggs.
>>
>>33367573
I checked around and if seems this game is like by people that doesn't like the usual MJ's gameplay
>>
>>33362516
>Reskinned gyms

Excuse me what
>>
>>33366581
Switch version would be cool, I'm glad the 3ds era is done but portability is also a really good thing. But yeah, I'm seeing some gameplay changes but people complaining about westernisation dont have a clue
>>
>>33368705
Agreed.
I never managed to get hooked on MH's normal gameplay, though I've always loved the monster designs and world.
This game, even with it's simple rock-paper-scissors battles and obvious pop-in, it's a nice introduction to the world without becoming frustrating
>>
File: 1337145374638.png (42KB, 553x759px) Image search: [Google]
1337145374638.png
42KB, 553x759px
>>33370171
>obvious pop-in
Not that I'm surprised people point it out, since that's quite unusual for a 3DS game, but acting like it's a huge issue is just silly.
>>
>>33369146
Not even the same anon but I don't see how that's wrong?
We got a crappy gimmick, somehow trials managed to be easier on that front, and then a "boss" battle at the end that wasn't even amazingly hard.

Sounds like a gym to me.
>>
>>33362376

>Downloaded the demo
>Complete shit
>Deleted it with 29 plays remaining.

It fucking sucks to be honest.
>>
>>33371151
>MH stories demo
>Uses
At least research before lying and looking like a retard.
>>
>>33370171
By pop up you mean the cat dialogue?
>>
File: masuda (2).png (236KB, 336x418px) Image search: [Google]
masuda (2).png
236KB, 336x418px
>>33362376
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.