[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokémon Fanfiction General and Writethread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 82

File: jazzysalazzy.jpg (35KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
jazzysalazzy.jpg
35KB, 402x402px
/vpwt/ Happy Fingers edition.

>Post your finds and ideas for prompts.
>Share your work and request critique.
>Discuss the struggle as a reader or writer.
IRC channel at [ #vpwritethread on irc.rizon.net ].

Previous: >>33242742

Fanfic catalog:
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PtN4D_9CSw8JJ9uO6v0oQqdtKEkS8aFAvfxqI96XfSE/edit?usp=sharing

Authors and anons looking for things to write may search our ideabin for something appealing.
Feel free to add prompts that you'd like others to consider.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X072SSWulcC6RJRrPA6v9XtyohRybvMBl6Fh49wHsRw

FAQ:
>How do I post fics?
Link to Pastebin, FFN, AO3, or G-Docs, etc. Don't write stories to the thread itself.

>NSFW fics?
Indicate "NSFW" beside the link.

>May I add my fic to the catalog?
You're free to do so. Please use the submission form found inside the catalog.

>What's with the tripfags?
Authors are encouraged to use a name/trip while posting or discussing their work for clarity's sake.

TotT: How do your Pokémon deal with having wings, hooves, and claws in a world optimized for human hands? Do you hold strictly to anatomy as drawn by Ken Sugi, give a little leeway, or just not point out the anomalies and let the reader stay so drawn into the story that the hows don't matter? Difficulty: Where does PMD-verse hide the industry necessary to support and maintain their quasi-human villages and lifestyles?
>>
Any good, non-edgy, non-OOC Ashime fics?
>>
>>33326037

sure, try this one https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3324476/1/A-Different-Kind-of-Soulmate
>>
File: MzuCVLh.png (480KB, 960x598px) Image search: [Google]
MzuCVLh.png
480KB, 960x598px
>>33325966
Hey vsauce, Michael here
>>
File: 1287370652951.jpg (136KB, 500x600px) Image search: [Google]
1287370652951.jpg
136KB, 500x600px
Fic recap:

Updates:

Solar's Heavens Slice, chapter 3:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/11428515
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12562146/3/Heaven-s-Slice

Manifest Destiny's Vines of Deceit, chapter 9:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9294437/chapters/26486736

Gorgel's Desolate Seas, chapter 9:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/8071213/chapters/26611413

cyanspark's Barred Hearts, chapter 2:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12598452/2/Barred-Hearts

New:

NSFW Lusamine story by SexTheHex:
https://pastebin.com/zMzmwErS

An Anon details Scrafty behavior:
https://pastebin.com/cPGukVEJ

NSFW "2nd person greentext. Reader/wild Gardevoir/Furisode Girl cosplaying as Gardevoir oral sex"
2nd person greentext. Reader/wild Gardevoir/Furisode Girl cosplaying as Gardevoir oral sex.
>>
>>33328176
Here's a link to that last one. I cocked it up.

>https://archiveofourown.org/works/11815281
>>
>>33325966
I find that dealing with odd anatomies helps with fleshing out the world in a way that - as long as it isn't exceptionally obtrusive to do so. For instance, when Charles gets into a taxi with Ignace the driver protests against the prospect of a Bisharp tearing up his seats. Later, when they're on a train, they're sitting in a part of the train with seats made of chainmail that are specifically designed to accept unusually pointy pokemon or those that are heavier.

Another example would be d'Artagnan shuffling a pack of cards with telekinesis because totem-birb wings aren't good for goofing off with cards. The weird little quirks brought on by differences in anatomy makes for fun reading, but they should be handled swiftly and logically, so as not to cause friction for the reader.

If at some point there's a thing that happens that's simply too involved to dive into, we can just skate past it. The reader may stop later and ask, "how exactly did this happen" and then either fill in an explanation themselves or they'll throw questions my way, asking for explanation. Given that the latter has yet to happen, I think the power of the suspension of disbelief is working just fine.
>>
>>33328176
>https://pastebin.com/cPGukVEJ
I like these kind of stories: biographies of pokemon are quite fun to read, especially from different interpretations of them. Are there any more like this?
>>
>Where does PMD-verse hide the industry necessary to support and maintain their quasi-human villages and lifestyles?

Fighting type with fingers and Kek-Co, Kecleon Incorporated
>>
File: 1482521976561.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482521976561.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
A new chapter for Heaven's Slice.
Chapter 4: Destined Reunion

>AO3
https://archiveofourown.org/works/11428515

>FFN
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12562146/4/Heaven-s-Slice
>>
>>33330226
Forgot name, but you know it's me.

>>33325966
>TotT
Limitations imposed by a Pokémon’s physiology provide an excellent opportunity for developing a unique character. Presuming Pokémon are reasonably intelligent creatures, it's foreseeable they have developed ways to deal with pesky "human obstacles" to get what they need. That's when the author is put in the hot seat; can the concept spur the imagination well enough to pass muster in the reader's eyes? Even if it requires suspension of disbelief, half of the battle is already won if you can preemptively articulate a setting in which this method chosen would work.

Secondly, describing how a Pokémon might struggle is part of the overall tone of the story. If you go for realism, then yes, a Pokémon might have a hell of a time opening a door if it only has wings. But if your story’s message includes the theme of overcoming adversity, then figuring out a way past that (strictly physical, in absolutely no way whatsoever metaphorical) door and thereby move the story forward is as significant as overcoming the regional champion at the end.

I don't write PMD, so I'm not qualified to respond on the challenge rating plus prong. I would imagine a similar approach would suffice. Construct the world, anticipate the challenges, and have the reader's imagination place things in their rightful place.
>>
File: 61764834_p0.jpg (363KB, 900x1247px) Image search: [Google]
61764834_p0.jpg
363KB, 900x1247px
Here's Chapter 22 of [The Dark Type], "My Friend, My Folly, My Enemy": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9113758/chapters/26738979
>>
File: 59621960_p18.jpg (553KB, 1058x1472px) Image search: [Google]
59621960_p18.jpg
553KB, 1058x1472px
>>33328894
Fine, I've got a question for you: how tf does Charles sleep? I've been trying to imagine a comfortable position for bisharp to snooze in and for the life of me I can't.
>>
File: 39331464_p0.jpg (452KB, 900x768px) Image search: [Google]
39331464_p0.jpg
452KB, 900x768px
>>33330075
I've had that written up for a while, and only posted it because I wished there were more things like it. Honestly, the closest I've found is that silly pokemon mating guide, which includes some creative descriptions of the biology of certain mons. I'm very tempted to write more notes similar to the ones on scrafty for each mon I write about, but clearly now is not the time for that. If I had to guess, the next would either be froge or bisharp. Human-based mons are significantly harder to analyze, though. What's bisharp act like? A samurai? An honorable fighter samurai, or a pretentious murderer samurai?

Open question: anyone else compile descriptions of the biological characteristics of their mons for the sake of reference while writing? As cge said, a house bull is going to look at problems from a bull's perspective, but if you don't know what a bull's perspective is, you can't write it.
>>
File: 1502697102406.jpg (313KB, 1178x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1502697102406.jpg
313KB, 1178x1023px
>>33331153
He can sleep in his ball, but usually he prefers to sleep on his torn up section of couch where he also sits sometimes. He could get a chainmail hammock to sleep in but Ignace's room is a bit of a whirlwind of crap right now so it's not feasible.

Here's a bonus: his chair at both Ignace's and Ricard's place has an elevated back to accommodate his blades - the back of the chair is placed where his shoulders can lean against it instead of his back.
>>
Currently looking for advice on how to write.
This is the first fic I'm making and I'd like to know my weak points so I can improve.

https://pastebin.com/putizivj

This is all I've written so far, and I'm not really sure if theres enough to give critique, but if possible, could anyone point out something that I might be missing or not doing correctly?
>>
>>33331303
General recommendations: focus on the feelings and perceptions of the protagonists. Isn't Lucas scared that his region is being taken over? Shouldnt he be full of rage and defiance? Does he perceive something noteworthy during the crime report?

Avoid "cheap" descriptions like BOOM at all costs. Instead, describe everything that happens in the way your POV character is perceiving it. Doesn't Lucas feel something when he hears his best friend entering?

Also, you learn writing by writing.
>>
>>33331303
>"This
Inconsistent smart/straight quotes (" vs “).
>More details after the break.”
The formal looking man on the television shouted [and all the other speech tags]
Speech tags go in the same sentence as the quoted speech.
>quickly gulping
>hastily scrambled
Delete unnecessary adverbs.
>BOOF!
Sounds ESL (French?). Try "THUD!"
>“I’ll get it.” Lucas unenthusiastically stated after turning off the kitchen tap.
It's better to write the events in the order they happen. eg:
Lucas turned off the taps. [plural, because you said it was both tap, and we already know they are kitchen taps so you don't need to say kitchen.] "I'll get it," he muttered. [better than "unenthusiastically stated" because it's showing not telling, and it avoids the adverb.]
>The very split second
This sounds weird because "the very second" is already an idiom with the right meaning.
>forcefully pushed
Adverbs again. Try "slammed".
>BIGFUCKINGWALLOFALLCAPS
Tl;dr. It's annoying to read. Make it shorter.
>The feisty boy was interrupted by Lucas’s hand
Passive voice. It's not always bad, but you shouldn't use it unless you have a good reason.
>blonde boys face
blond boy's face
>Barry exclaimed, obviously in a hurry.
You already showed he was in a hurry, no need to tell us too.
>>
>>33331303
>>33331433
>Delete unnecessary adverbs.

I don't hate adverbs, but they are something to watch. Adverbs help when:
• The sentence sounds better when longer, easing choppiness or giving a sense of rhythm.
• Adverb provides both a contrast between your action and how Reader envisions it by default.
• Stopping to describe the action in detail would diminish momentum.

Sample:
>Lucas got up before lifting the ceramic bowl to his face and quickly gulping down the remaining milk inside it. Shortly afterwards he haphazardly placed the bowl in the sink by the windowsill and returned to his seat at the cheap wooden table by the TV. His mother groaned and gave him a stern look of mixed disappointment and anger.

1: Lucas eats fast.
2: Later, he goes, puts, returns.
3: Receives tisk.
>Eating causes putting-away, putting-away is punishable.
Wut?

>quickly gulping
Quickly is default for "gulping down," so it doesn't give contrast.
>Shortly afterwards
Did he pause to savor his milk?
"Shortly afterwards" is a way to skip a moment. That's okay if we expect the character to stop doing worthy-of-being-described activities briefly, but here it's like you're skipping a walk across a room.
>he haphazardly placed
"Placing" something implies some deliberate selection of placement, so here it's saying that he's creating a haphazard arrangement of objects in the sink, like an art project.

Rather:
>In his haste, Lucas rose from the table and took his breakfast bowl with him after shoving the last spoonful of cereal into his mouth to gulp down what milk remained while he walked to the sink. Other dishes and utensils within clattered when he carelessly dropped the bowl among them, sparing not one second to give it a blast from the faucet. Turning that way, his mother found him already back at the TV.

1: Lucas is rushing.
2: Fuck that a windowsill exists, portray the noise!
3: Mom hears the noise, readies her rage.
>Haste causes noise, noise draws ire.
That's a tiny plot arc.
>>
are there any good gardevoir fics to read?

preferably non nsfw
>>
<blogbump>I wrote Chapter 9 in two sessions on two days, to 7500 words. Since I started this story while writing E/V, that slightly changes the mean rate of production.</blogbump>
>>
File: cottage industry.jpg (66KB, 550x449px) Image search: [Google]
cottage industry.jpg
66KB, 550x449px
>>33325966
>TotT Difficulty:
They don't hide it. From what I've observed in the games, villages and even small towns/cities work based on family, at-home industry. Its sort of like how the world was before the 1760s right before textile business began to move from homes to mills and factories. I'm looking to explore this sort of thing heavily in First Contact. Chapter Five should be up tonight.
>>
File: 1359772961780.jpg (52KB, 337x339px) Image search: [Google]
1359772961780.jpg
52KB, 337x339px
this is something I've been wondering for a while, but how do you describe someone as asian in a world/universe where asia or an asia-equivalent dont exist? I'm also not terribly fond of the term 'almoned-eyed' if that's what people usually use
>>
>>33334818
But Asia does exist in the world of Pokémon, because South America canonically exists.

Seriously, though, I don't know about the eyes.
>>
File: 240.jpg (52KB, 453x600px) Image search: [Google]
240.jpg
52KB, 453x600px
>>33334818
if there's ever an occasion to throw in what country they or their parents are from, do so. if there's ever an occasion for them to break out of english and rattle off some moon, do so in a way the reader will understand. should the situation allow this kind of explication, address your character's cheekbones, lips, teeth, hair quality, whether they are lightskinned or darkskinned for their ethnicity, etc. i also wouldn't have a problem with just saying they have "small eyes" since that's not strictly an asian thing, and there are tons of asians with comparatively "big eyes" but that's just me.

pic related, huge eyes
>>
File: tumblr_ojhsbjEunu1rsct0qo1_500.png (302KB, 456x555px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ojhsbjEunu1rsct0qo1_500.png
302KB, 456x555px
>>33335060
this is pretty good advice, but I'm mostly asking for an OC story of mine which takes place in a sci fi universe where literally no asia or no asia equivalent could ever exist. I dont even think they could slip into moonrunes speak bc pretty much everyone shares a common language
I wanted to ask here though because Pokemon is also a series that has a universe that doesn't necessarily have an asia or asia equivalent in it
and I cant say the same issue wouldnt once again pose itself to me if I decided to put an asian character in a future Pokemon fic of mine ya know

and it is hard to describe someone as asian by their eyes bc eye shape isnt a be all end all, like you said.
>>
>>33335127
>because Pokemon is also a series that has a universe that doesn't necessarily have an asia or asia equivalent in it

But that's not true, so you're asking in the wrong place.
>>
>>33335361

I mean like maybe Jhoto, but even then??
>>
>>33335386
Technically speaking, every region is based upon a region that already exists in the real world, even drawing upon the landmass that is being referenced to shape the land you walk around on in game. For instance: Sinnoh is modeled basically entirely after Hokkaido: "The geography of the Sinnoh region is based on the geography of the Japanese island of Hokkaido and southern part of the Russian island Sakhalin, as well as Kunashir..."

So you can technically say that Pokemon does indeed have equivalents - and thanks to people like Lt. Surge being known as the "Lightning American", you can also say that our own continents exist in the world as well.

Personally speaking I entirely omit reference to real world places and instead operate under the assumption that the Pokemon world is a completely different earth.
>>
>>33335436
Woops, Surge was retconned and I'm retarded - he's now just the Lightning Unovan.

Thanks Saikou.
>>
>>33335436
I know the first 4 regions are generally based on places in Japan, with Jhoto being the most traditionally Japanese aesthetic place of them, but I don't know if you can really say "this character was from Jhoto" and have the reader immediately connect that means they're supposed to look Asian, while you also couldn't really say all Asian looking people in this universe come from a specific place, like Jhoto. Which goes back to the original point of how do you establish this to your audience when, in the Pokemon universe you can't really go "they're asian". And I think generally readers assume a character is just white unless blatantly told otherwise pretty early on
>>
>>33330404
So true.
Most limitations in stories are also opportunities; it's a matter of perspective.
>>33331188
There's a school setting, and there's a biology class, which is where I should hope to explain these things in-story.
>>33334818
One problem I get is renaming/replacing all real world locations with fictional equivalents.
>>
>>33335451
when did this happen? even still, that just confirms he's from new york. the dub sure did like to give characters exaggerated New York accents.
>>
>>33335595
I generally establish that the pokemon world is significantly multicultural, due to crazy tourism spurred on by the league industry. Notice how, for example, all the Kanto tourists in BW, XY, and SM are pale and raven-haired? And if memory serves, a significantly higher number of RSE trainer classes had black hair than those in other games. However, there are also plenty of people with blonde, brown, red, and animu hair colors in those "Japanese regions". It's basically why you could go to Sinnoh and meet an old squinty-eyed couple named Keijiro and Sawako living next door to a family of aryans named Jesica, Rachel, Lewis, etc.
>>
How in the pokemon do they talk about the atomic bombing of Hiroshima?
>>
>>33334818
>how do you describe someone as asian in a world/universe where asia or an asia-equivalent dont exist?
You don't because they aren't Asian because Asia doesn't exist. See: Your own canon.

>>33335451
>he's now just the Lightning Unovan.
I take Isshu with this.
>>
>>33335653
doesn't biology class only cover plants and humans?
>>
>>33335806
I don't remember an official retconning ever happening, but I do know of an NPC in BW2 mentioning/implying that Surge was from Unova.
>>
>>33336163
In the Japanese version, at PWT he's still introduced over the PA as an American. It's probably a tongue-in-cheek comment about how they've backed away from real-world places over time.
>>
>>33336039
The school offers two types of biology/health courses:
General Biology
and
(Type-)Specific Biology
Because the school teaches many kinds of Pokémon, each student must take his own type-specific courses as well as some general courses.
>>
>>33336553
>each student must take his own type-specific courses
All the cool Psychic- and Fighting-type pokemon are going to the Human-shape class, but no, not you, Gallade. You're in with with a wad of filth, a wind chime, and a sand castle.
>>
>>33336553
Sounds needlessly extensive. Where's the funding coming from? Why would a school offer classes for pokemon when it isn't expecting any sort of return in the form of them going and becoming productive money-making members of society?
>>
I have a poke fanfic idea, but it involves a male Sceptile and female Salazzle. If you want to add on and make this a fanfic, go ahead, I don't really write fanfics.
>>
>>33336999
>I don't really write fanfics.
trips demands you do now
>>
>>33337062
Huh?
>>
>>33336999
What's your idea though
>>
File: Name that Pokemon.png (389KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
Name that Pokemon.png
389KB, 1024x512px
>>33335862
I don't think that they ever did.
>>
>>33338601
Dammit, Zoroark! Stop using my phone to take selfies without my permission.
>>
>>33338601
33 is a jew
>>
File: 1502220764255.jpg (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502220764255.jpg
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>33336999
what a tremendous was of the power of 3
>>
>>33336999
Not him, but it would be amusing if a female salazzle mistook a male sceptile as an evolved make form of slandits, ala Looney tunes paint bucket incident, assuming she never saw a sceptile before. Would make for a nice story I think
>>
Sunday writing bump
>>
>>33341989
>make form
Male form. Fuck autocorrect
>>
>>33341989
write it
>>
File: 1489124942670.png (153KB, 450x463px) Image search: [Google]
1489124942670.png
153KB, 450x463px
>>
File: AP-Sparring.png (443KB, 823x538px) Image search: [Google]
AP-Sparring.png
443KB, 823x538px
>>
>>33345334
This is such feel-good art.
>>
>>33326037
what?
>>
>>33345334
Glorious!
I must write more stories, faster, to keep these coming.

>>33345474
It's probably the closest I've come to a feel-good piece.
>>
>>33345334
Lennon is such a softie despite doing everything in his power to appear otherwise
>>
>>33345600
>tfw not good enough to inspire art based on any fiction piece I write
You'd best cherish it m8. And keep writing. Drawanon too.
>>
Aggron's seed is pink, like calamine, due to trace amounts of Iron (III) oxide found in its blood plasma.
>>
Any winter-themed (could be Sinnoh but doesn't have to be) stories? I'm in the mood for some snowy comfiness. Darker "young trainer lost in a blizzard, etc." type stories will also do.
>>
>>33345601
His strength is dedicated to the responsibility he bears.

>>33345733
>>tfw not good enough to inspire art based on any fiction piece I write
I may be wrong (Drawanon might point out if I am) but I expect that, while sufficient "good"-ness is a necessary ingredient, earning fan-art is more about the writing being "inviting," inspiring an artist to elaborately visualize what's written from a perspective within a scene and (here's where Author being lucky comes in) that visualization being something worth the time it takes to move it from mind to media and then to share it back to the world…

>You'd best cherish it m8.
…and in doing that, it goes beyond feedback. Thoughtful feedback is a monologue (potentially dialogue, if Author and Critic develop it), and while that can be highly valuable as an education, accolade, and laurel, fan-art transcends the review/critique in a unique way: It is the only way for Author to see (with precision according to the skill of the artist) what a reader envisions while reading the text. In writing, the author has a vision and only a slice of it survives translation to text; in reading, the reader develops a vision from it, and if related back in a textual review, again only a slice survives to create a third-generation vision of scattered points in the Author's mind. Fan-art reports the second-generation image, and this makes it a sample view of what the story is offering to all of his readers' minds' eyes. It's "a thousand words" that can't possibly be written, because it contains an imprint of the essence of imagination that Author must rely on each reader to self-supply. And more, because of that imprint, it communicates clearly to all who see it—not only a context-aware reader/author—what the depicted scene is about in an instant, when to approximate it in text required a thousand words of scene amid myriads of words for context: The story's whole text.

tl;dr, I deeply do.
>>
>>33346307
All I can offer is the very first chapter of Errant's Hearth, which takes place in Snowpoint: http://archiveofourown.org/works/7991302/chapters/18289177

Winter themed stuff is pretty nice but given that its been FUCK here in Cali, it's been on my mind in a wishful sense instead of a inspiring one.
>>
>>33346540
where the fuck you at right now in Cali, it's nice as fuck rn
>>
>>33346578
SoCal. It cooled down recently. Maybe a week ago though it was about 3 straight weeks of hot and strangely humid weather. Fucking random ass cloudy weather. I usually love clouds, but not during the summer.
>>
>>33346540
It's nice in NorCal, too; one of the reasons why I want to read a winter story now. That, and since I got to Snow Way Out last night in my anime marathon.
>>
>tfw it's nice as fuck outside but the building has no insulation so it's an oven
>>
File: smutindex.png (18KB, 615x538px) Image search: [Google]
smutindex.png
18KB, 615x538px
I was feeling bored and a little overly autistic so I decided to count up how many Pokegirls/boys/mon I've had in lewd stories as sort of a Pokegirl dex thing. Figured I'd post it here and ask a question to make it a not completely useless post:

What Pokegirls do you all feel get neglected when it comes to nsfw stories? Marley and Fennel are both top tier girls, but I've seen very little lewd content of them period, let alone smutty stories. Any other neglected cuties you all can think of?

Yes, I know my name is SexTheHex and I've yet to write anything with a Hex Maniac in it. Gotta do something special for her like a twine game or some shit. Have to finish another one of those first, though.
>>
>>33346730
I got an idea for a hunting story coming up, loosing my motiviation on my current story rn. Prob need a break so i might work on a winter story for ya.
>>
>>33347054
can't ever go wrong with lewding some of the NPC trainer classes you encounter throughout the games. In particular, for some odd reason tentacle action involving the swimmer trainer classes (female) are damn rare despite the enviornment and suggestiveness in a few of the early manga, along with how they act in the games. Hell, their bodies are pretty much perfect for any groping fun
>>
File: 290px-PMD_Sky_explore.jpg (16KB, 290x218px) Image search: [Google]
290px-PMD_Sky_explore.jpg
16KB, 290x218px
How would you guys write mystery dungeons from a literary standpoint?
>>
>>33348791
a bunch of shitty mazes cause god hates us
Probably just take inspiration from the games and go from there, wherever the dungeon is should enforce what its made of, ie a dungeon in a forest would be forest paths, and a dungeon made of a town would probably be made of city streets with the buildings as the walls.
>>
>>33348791
As with any other game mechanic, you either adapt it to fit within your story or get rid of it entirely. If I find myself writing a PMD story someday, I'll probably do the latter.
>>
>>33348791
You mean the mechanic of ever-changing dungeons?

Chaos magic leylines with two poles. One at Worldcore with the other at the bottom of the Zero Isles. The objects and tools that you find in dungeons happen because of the crystallization of that magic. Sometimes you can artificially recreate that crystallization process and make magical objects and systems, like the Nexus in Super. I didn't make the connection the first time I played (ha), but the Connection Orbs in your gadgets are literally the same breed of orb as you find in dungeons.
>>
>>33347054
People probably forget that the Lady class existed in FRLG. If you're ever in the mood, you could try your hand at some smut with best ojousama.
>>
>>33348791
Probably a heaping helping of House of Leaves exploration. There's light-hearted mazes to comb, and more intense deep forest, desert, etc. to comb through, but the real allure of PMD outside of interactions and worldbuilding is the crazy shit you can do with the dungeons. At least that's how I see it anyway.

Start getting Escheresque and I think things will start to get spicy fast.
>>
File: Sort of like this.jpg (17KB, 400x160px) Image search: [Google]
Sort of like this.jpg
17KB, 400x160px
>>33348878
Yeah pretty much that.
I also want to explore the concept of mass-napalming the Mystery out of them.

>>33348991
I really like this interpretation. Gives me a few ideas...
Also I swear chapter five is coming tomorrow, tonight I'm just reading other works to see how I can make my descriptions and dialogue less stiff.
>>
>>33335862
VICTINI IS THE NUKE
>any trainer with victini will always win
>a pokemon with limitless power
>learns V-create, final gambit, and overheat
>locked away to prevent misuse
>>
File: vincere.jpg (56KB, 478x298px) Image search: [Google]
vincere.jpg
56KB, 478x298px
>>33349604
V I N C E R E
>>
>>33349679
Be conquered?
>second-person singular present passive imperative of "vinco"
>>
Ask the people of Slateport City.
>>
>>33350510
This directed at >>33335862
>>
Morning bump
>>
____
>>
>>33352631
That's quite a nice bumparu
>>33350490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3SQFT_E_sg
>>
File: 1500123757129.png (1MB, 1280x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1500123757129.png
1MB, 1280x1026px
moon
>>
Plot twist: Near the end of the story, what seems to be a third person story suddenly reveals the narrator to be a seperate entity within the story observing the protagonist, and suddenly it turns into a first person story as they interact with the protagonist.

Y/N
>>
>>33352852
Viable but tricky.

Is this to be a twist for the reader or for the protagonist?
>>
>>33352852
NO
O

C'mon, anon. You can think of better twists than that.
>>
>>33352852
That would require the story to be told in a super limited third-person present perspective which is... unusual, to say the least. You're strangling your very ability to tell the story for this one twist that I'm having trouble even thinking of a purpose for. If you can think of a really good reason for it, go ahead, but if it's jut for shock value, I'd say stay away.
>>
File: 1380387243901.png (208KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1380387243901.png
208KB, 480x640px
>>33352896
For both.

>>33352947
I just realised it fit the style so far. It's not for a story, but for a PTU campaign, actually. Spoilers for you fags that play in it, you know who you are Squire and co.

At the very end Arceus will be summoned, and will start reshaping and dismantling the world. The protagonists are supposed to recall the best memories of their journeys and experiences throughout the world to convince it not follow the orders of the poor lonely girl who will turn out to be the main villain and summons it, and instead finish the act of properly creating this world. The way I interact with my PCs are a narrator is pretty interactive, asking them questions and so on. I though tit might be a cool twist if the narrator suddenly started speaking in first person near the end and turn out to be a curious Alpha Pokemon listening in, and the protags have to speak to it directly and ask it to recall the good times.
>>
>>33352896
please tell me what's wrong with the stars it's been bothering me for like two years
>>
>>33352947
>super limited third-person present perspective
This is my favorite perspective. I only write past-tense because too many people complain about present.
>>
>>33353001
More anons than you think play or are at least well-versed with PTU. I've been referring to the handbook for balance purposes while writing my latest fiction. When it comes to overall plot, I'm a strong believer in creating an entire story to resonate with the reader from start to finish. Whether there are simple or epic developments along the way for the various characters, it's a journey worth exploring. I might have gone and canned the idea if not for this admittedly irrational faith in my own ability.
>>
>>33353003
It's been bothering me since I wrote it. :D

It's a three-fold issue to portray:
• One, that while new regions pop into existence every few years canonically, I'm popping one into existence that wants to be consistent with those while needing to be insulated from it.
• Second, thanks to Waterlogged establishing a real-world person arriving in Ocimene, I'm committed to having a reasoning behind it that agrees with some sort of IRL lore and with Pokémon lore which, thanks to the aforementioned AMERICAN, Lt. "Surge" Mathis, has happened at least twice to innocent bystanders, assuming that IRL world is distinct from but not unknown to Pokemon World, which I've accepted because it's more interesting to write about.
• Third, it's obviously a big deal for these three kinds of places to exist in parallel, so there must be some sort of evidence of it that's observable without being an influence on daily life since IRL people and canon Pokémon people and Ocimene people all don't talk about it in non-tin-foil-hat society. That's when I realized that a subtle difference in the sky would hide in plain sight, with only savvy and intentional observers (e.g. a maritime merchant is familiar with astronomical navigation) catching on to there being something odd. This comment extends to savvy readers keeping track: I could list about a dozen other facets of this matter that appear throughout my writing, but it'd be incomplete since more appear in my next story.

>>33352900
M. Night approves.

>>33352947
Limited isn't required. Omniscient is doable, but again, tricky, because it takes Narrator out of the role of an interface between reader and diegesis and thrusts Narrator into a diegetic role that must be consistent throughout the work. For example, a guardian angel with whom contact is made could be portrayed this way. However, the difficulty remains in finding an attractive plot where MC is challenged but Narrator experiences the resolution.
>>
File: alto mare.jpg (53KB, 741x576px) Image search: [Google]
alto mare.jpg
53KB, 741x576px
Thinking of stretching my writing muscles again. Is it gauche to ask for:

>A region/location
>A time of day

Trying to focus on slice-of-life-ish stuff, but some action and battles are always on the table.
>>
>>33354865
Down where Arturo used to live, near Floaroma, at the corner store where Easy Pete always had a story to give you for a cup of coffee and a donut.

4am.
>>
>>33354923
>EZ Pete
Cool guy.
>>
Hey, I'm trying to get back into the groove of writing by flinging myself immediately into a long story. It'll update weekly or something understandable like that, but I've come to ask.

What do you guys wanna see out of a chapter based updating story?

I know the basics like ending each chapter on either a temporary resolution or a cliffhanger, but I wanna know what I can add to keep you guys coming back.
>>
>>33356085
Ideally, chapters have their own miniature story arcs, which when fitted together portray the greater arc(s) of the whole story. Keep that in mind when you're writing chapter-by-chapter; each should in a way be self-contained.
>>
>>33356174
Thanks, I appreciate it!
>>
>>33354923
I dig it. Let's see what happens, anon
>>
File: The eight.png (5KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
The eight.png
5KB, 512x512px
I didn't think that I would get anything done today but... pic related. A bit of a secret, really.
>>
File: butwhichfirst.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
butwhichfirst.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
>>33357214
Everything's good and angular and straight and then SHARK FIN has to go and throw a curve out there. This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>33357214
This could be anything. However it is interesting to note filename.png. Personally, I've been running wild with the numbers six, seven, and eight in my fiction. The order in which they become relevant: seven, six, and eight. /numerology
>>
bumpo
>>
>stay up late making anagrams nobody will guess
>turns out some are nearly prophetic in their accuracy
>>
>>33353615
So what do you think of the idea?

Also, how to do the incognito Princess trope properly? Overtly friendly but also manipulative girl with the party might turn out to be a runaway Princess of sorts, travelling to train for the overthrow she's been planning.
>>
File: 1494705350777.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1494705350777.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
let's go, chapter 17

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fEzMMweVa-YeaBhRlYBBjj6aRv75ST0JCLUrstK04eU/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>33326343
>start reading this
>Ash's Pikachu
>she
*closes tab*
>>
>>33358785
She was misgendered because oppressors judged her by her tail's shape and bullied her into a masculine gender role by not asking for her pronouns.
>>
>>33358422
Considering it's a trope, the idea is as good as the effort you're willing to put into it. I'd be satisfied with it personally should your execution be appropriate. As a brief aside, it is something I've written for before; however, my portrayal has more to do with a dramatic, unwanted change in social class rather than royalty itself. Speaking of tropes,
>incognito Princess
This one is a bit of a challenge, due to the fact that you're forced to engage in characterization in order to emphasize its significance. In other words, it's not enough to simply explain the "why" she's on the run, though that is still very important. Particularly, considering she's a member of the party, you have a golden opportunity to formulate and build her character because this trope lends itself exceptionally well to development. How does not being pampered change her? Does she miss her castle? How about her handmaids and fine cuisine around mealtime? What might she regret most? Does she consider the political consequences of her actions? How does she handle day-to-day activities and locals? Will she inadvertently disclose her noble status to anyone? And those are just a few things to consider. You mention her need to train in order to achieve her plan to overthrow, a coup I presume. Also she's manipulative. If those two are related, does her journey change anything about fulfilling her mission or how she plans to go about it?

Granted, this is how I would handle your situation if writing it for a story. A dynamic tabletop setting may obviously throw a few monkey wrenches at you. I wish you well.
>>
taking requests for anon+pokemon fluff one-shots
(all pokemon will speak english)
>>
File: waff waff.jpg (44KB, 720x401px) Image search: [Google]
waff waff.jpg
44KB, 720x401px
>>33358466
May I posit a question, oh mighty Memega?
How many Doggos, and not just any old doggo, SPECIAL Doggos, does it take to screw in a lightbulb? I know you've already written about a girl and her many doggos, but this question has been stumping mankind and Pokemon for eons and someone needs to provide a critical analysis of the evidence at our disposal.
>>
File: 1474778132972.png (128KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1474778132972.png
128KB, 500x400px
>>33360129
>>33360129
How much detail are you looking for, is just a simple description like
>anon and their pokemon go to the beach for icecream
enough?

pic maybe related
>>
File: 1420942738078.gif (884KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
1420942738078.gif
884KB, 500x289px
>>33360129
Something about anon and his female Leavanny.

Ideas:
Him taking care of her after she gets exhausting looking after one too many Pokemon. A bit of a cute/embarrassing turn of events as he dotes on her like how she did with the younglings until she's better.
>>
>>33360801
>>33360767
yeah that's good enough, going to work soon so I'll start them when I can, just keep an eye out for them if a new thread is made
>>
>>33360767
>that image

Get off the couch 'Shao it's time to fucking train.
>no
You fat fuck you're on a one way street to suplex city, unova
>You can't see it but I'm giving you the bird
>>
bump
>>
>>33328894
I like that you've put thought into the concept of some Pokemon potentially being dangerous in everyday life due to their anatomy, but I can't help but feel like the existence of Poke Balls would mostly render that problem moot. I mean, if there's a risk of certain Pokemon causing damage in some situations, couldn't trainers just recall those Pokemon into their balls when in those situations, so as to avoid causing problems and getting in trouble?

Speaking of which: in the example you give, was there any reason why the trainer didn't recall his Bisharp before he entered the taxi, or why the driver didn't require him to recall before allowing him to enter?
>>
File: 63096194_p54.jpg (43KB, 702x427px) Image search: [Google]
63096194_p54.jpg
43KB, 702x427px
>ghosts are cool and fun
>but would be broken as heck IRL
>how to flesh out ghosts in a way that makes them incapable of doing insane damage to commerce
>cge uses silver as a ghost repellant
>boring. also fairies
>what about religion
>pastors/priests/shamans/monks/mikos would be called upon to bless houses and stores so no ghoulies can float in and steal their inventory
>this service would make religious establishments a hell of a lot more relevant than IRL, which goes along with the focus on poke-gods
>suddenly the Church has immense social clout in the pokemon world

What have I done
>>
File: 58455255_p8.png (346KB, 730x800px) Image search: [Google]
58455255_p8.png
346KB, 730x800px
>>33363515
Because that goes back to the issue of ethics. Why should your mon have to go back in his ball because he's "dangerous"? Your ex-boyfriend just got out of jail for assault, and he's allowed to ride in taxis and go into the grocery store just fine. But poor bisharp has to go away because he "might ruin the goods"? This might be fine for a trained pokemon who's supposed to be big in tournaments, but for a family mon? If my bisharp was around for my mother's death, my baby's birth, and my PhD, I would be livid if he was bound by rules that I see as unfairly harsh.

This is an extreme example, but this is how people think. If a pokemon's a part of the family, why shouldn't it get basic family privileges like simply being materialized in human spaces?
>>
>>33363535
I'm writing about demons deriving from dark types fighting ghosts in a sort of supernatural gang war. My point being, it's probably able to develop into a cool concept if you spend enough time thinking it through.
>>
>>33363535
>cge uses silver as a ghost repellant
>boring
Gomenasai, sempai.

>>33363576
>Why should your mon have to go back in his ball because he's "dangerous"?
That IS why.

Somewhere there is established a balancing point between personal freedom of one and risks posed by that freedom to another. For example, there is a constitutional right in the United States of America for every citizen possessed of civil rights to bear weapons. However, beneath the federal level, states and communities and private property owners have asserted their own right to regulate the behaviors of their citizens and guests, including defining to what extent weapons may be possessed and carried. Some places allow open carry of pistols, rifles, and knives. Others require concealment, and some places like government and pseudo-government offices forbid them.

Likely, most pokemon are intelligent enough to be not particularly dangerous if it is well trained, accustomed to life among humans, and is not in a confined space. But, if you choose to go shopping on Black Friday and decide to have your bisharp out, people are going to get eviscerated during the grand cram when the doors unlock. (Even without monsters made of machetes, people get trampled to death during that shit.) So if you are going to have walking pokemon in your society, you're also going to consider how society will draw the line between freedom to be accompanied by your partner pokemon and freedom to create a threat to the lives, limbs, and properties of fellow citizens.

>I would be livid if he was bound by rules that I see as unfairly harsh.
You're free to be livid about that. Others get livid when they or their family members are sliced, stabbed, soaked, injected with poison, or set on fire by some stranger's pokemon.

>shouldn't it get basic family privileges like simply being materialized
It can in your home. In public, the rules are different.
>>
>>33363576
To be fair, the hypothetical ex-boyfriend you speak of doesn't have sharp blades all over his body. Hopefully.

In contrast, a Bisharp can cause serious damage even if it doesn't want to, because of its anatomy. That's the core issue: it's a case of being safe rather than sorry, and understanding that there may be cases where it would be better to recall the Pokemon to prevent unwanted problems, even if the trainer does see the Bisharp as a family member.

Still, I have to wonder if there's some middle ground that could be reached between our two positions. For example, perhaps laws in the Pokemon world would allow people to keep their Bisharps (and other dangerous Pokemon) out in the open, but only if measures are taken to prevent them from causing damage. One such measure would be equipping said Pokemon with special garments or devices that cover up their dangerous parts or stop them from using their natural weapons--a Pokemon world equivalent to muzzles for dogs in real life. That would allow the dangerous Pokemon remain in the open, but also stop it from damaging things by accident.
>>
File: lucario.png (207KB, 822x781px) Image search: [Google]
lucario.png
207KB, 822x781px
>>33363576
put your bisharp pet on a leash and make it sit in the proper pokemon approved spaces or keep it in its pokeball

crackpot "pokemon rights" trainers don't know proper social etiquette these days
>>
File: 29d8eac33963849c5991bd11c0bc64e1.png (885KB, 1022x651px) Image search: [Google]
29d8eac33963849c5991bd11c0bc64e1.png
885KB, 1022x651px
>>33363515
>>33363576
>>33363960

Everything becomes a balancing act in the end - and some regions go too far (Sinnoh) or don't go anywhere at all (Kanto) when it comes to various aspects of pokemon in their society. I think it is somewhat telling of the status pokemon hold to see what kinds of accommodations have been made for their express use. Chainmail seats in a train are more expensive, but perhaps the business you do because of it is worth it. Perhaps you're regarded as a particularly empathetic rail company.

Basically, I saw an opportunity to extrapolate on "Diantha goes shopping with her Gardevoir.avi" by asking and then answering the question, "What if you're both holding lots of stuff and balling your pokemon isn't the best course of action?"

Of course, I guess I've neglected to mention the foam edge-guards that Charles affixes to his body to prevent hugs from being deadly affairs. Not really, but yes what >>33364049 mentions in particular is a way to go about seeking a balance. There are a variety of situations to solve, and each one has plenty of possible solutions.

>>33364318
Vry pls. Do not put your bisharp on a leash, they don't like nor do they deserve that. Unless they do, in which case I'm not here to judge.
>>
File: templar.jpg (136KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
templar.jpg
136KB, 1024x768px
>>33363535
>suddenly the Church has immense social clout in the pokemon world
>What have I done
The right thing, brother.
>>
>>33364378
>they don't like
What if they liked it TOO MUCH?
>>
File: chinduo.jpg (52KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
chinduo.jpg
52KB, 800x528px
>>33364378

if you wanted a pet that was family friendly and free to roam about you shoulda gotten a cutemon instead

you knew the rules when you bought your exotic pokemon training license, nobody forced you to catch that spiky armored blade demon
>>
>>33364378
>some regions go too far (Sinnoh)
what are you implying?
>>
>>33364425
Then you're going to have a hell of time trying to leave the house and not look strange when your bisharp walks clutching their leash.

>>33364494
Some people just like bisharp man. They're cool. Besides, we've got foam to help us.

>>33364497
Errant's Hearth very, very, very slowly is opening up Sinnoh's issues. The nature of the work doesn't directly deal with political issues, but I still have them leak through every so often. The region is trying to do too much, too fast with too little planning and too poor an understanding. There's that whole rule that you should try to avoid writing pokemon as humans in fursuits - and Sinnoh is treating pokemon as humans in fursuits.

It's causing problems, to say the least.
>>
>>33364528
>There's that whole rule that you should try to avoid writing pokemon as humans in fursuits
As devil's advocate, I'd argue such rules are meant to be broken. Flame shield up for unpopular opinion.
>>
File: 1488584957839.jpg (2MB, 8000x4752px) Image search: [Google]
1488584957839.jpg
2MB, 8000x4752px
>>33360349
Enough Fennekins to make a large enough fluff pile to climb up to the lightbulb, one Braixen to have thumbs.
>>
>>33364629
I think it depends on the individual character, personally. It's a good rule to hold to as _part_ of a character's personality, but it's important to remember that within the most socialized pokemon, there's likely to be a conflict between impulse and human expectation. Not dissimilar, really, to what goes on within people, if you think about it. And just like individual people, individual pokemon will be on different parts of that spectrum, will be at different points in that conflict.
>>
File: Viola_1280.png (2MB, 2273x3899px) Image search: [Google]
Viola_1280.png
2MB, 2273x3899px
>>33364629
Viola gets rather close to breaking the rule, I believe. I don't think she ever crosses the line given the stuff I've been writing about her psyche and compulsions and what not recently in ACPC, but maybe I crossed the line long ago and don't know it.

I'm actually rather afraid of that with any Pokemon I write that can talk/communicate directly with humans. I suppose it's a good thing in the end, isn't it?
>>
you aren't playing "devil's advocate" if you're just stating your own opinion without any attempt at support, you're just making a bad argument

for me at least the dangerous, exotic nature of pokemon is part of what makes trainer relationships so interesting. it's hard to take a pokemon world seriously when its instead filled with goofy disneyfied shit like talking arboks watering a garden, tyranitars going shopping at the local grocery store or dragonites working as postmen
>>
>>33364710
My argument is that it's stupid to restrict your writing to comply with an arbitrary rule like that. But yeah whatever call it a bad argument I don't give a shit m8 it's the internet.
>>
File: barbaric.jpg (184KB, 850x1024px) Image search: [Google]
barbaric.jpg
184KB, 850x1024px
>>33364734
>it's stupid to restrict your writing by having standards
>>
>>33364892
Fuck you. And your strawman. I never said not to have standards. Quit being a fucking faggot.
>>
File: go away.jpg (595KB, 1631x1373px) Image search: [Google]
go away.jpg
595KB, 1631x1373px
>>33364919
please tell me about all of your favorite stories about pokemorphs in high school AUs
>>
>>33364710
>>33364728
>goofy disneyfied shit
Yeah, fuck Walt. His goofy shit was so awful that he died penniless in the gutter and is remembered only as a cautionary tale to those who might accidentally tread the same path to demise.
>>
>>33364952
I don't care for those types of stories. Not leaving either.
>>
>>33364629
You can play devil's advocate for unimaginative worldbuilding, lazy characterization and bad storytelling, but that doesn't mean they will somehow stop being negative factors.
>>
>>33365383
How are any of those things related to what I said? You are trying to change what I posted and it's simply false lies. Never advocated any of those factors.
>>
>>33365460
Those are typical, commonly observable consequences of writing Pokémon as humans in fursuits. I have never seen a Pokémon fanfic that made that design choice that didn't have at least one of the flaws I mentioned.

By the way, why exactly do you think it's a good idea to write Pokémon in a way that makes them considerably less unique? You haven't bothered to actually argue your position, you only stated disagreement.
>>
>>33365477
Make them less unique? Why not make them more relatable? Is this uniqueness so important it is worth making aliens? That's my gripe. Disobeying the practice of making the monsters foreign to humans is treated the same breaking a goddamn golden rule.
>>
>>33365521
Part of the appeal to writing Pokemon as Pokemon (and therefore alien intelligences with unusual customs and means of navigating social spaces) is that it presents a challenge to the writer.

The issue of relating to them even after you write them as distinctly not human is part of that challenge as well. You are human, you inevitably leak humanity into every character you write, and if you don't people will attribute humanity to it to attempt to empathize - and if neither of those events happen you have written something truly alien that fails to generate a reason for an individual to empathize or engage with the character.

Mystique and incomprehension are wonderful when used to various ends, but when something is truly incomprehensible its just that. Perhaps it evokes fear, anger, confusion, but it doesn't really make people engage.

So yes, by making them humans in fursuits they're more relatable but they're not really pokemon anymore. You have to strike the balance so that the only time the reader forgets they're reading about a pokemon doing something is when your own hand deems it necessary.
>>
>>33365545
It would be easier if you could offload the inhumanness into an external structure; many fantasy stories do this by making the difference from 'baseline' humans a CULTURAL thing rather than a thought-process thing. Unless you're like Citrin and writing a humans-vs-PMD piece, though, this franchise is ill-suited for such a presentation.
>>
>>33365521
Pokémon _are_ aliens. They are not humans. If you turn Pokémon into humans, why are you writing about Pokémon to begin with? If you want to abandon pretty much everything that makes Pokémon different from humans, what is the point of writing about them at all?

>relatable

If making Pokémon exactly like humans is the only way you can imagine to make them relatable, you lack creativity.

Pokémon _should_ be foreign to a degree. They are different species. That should matter, otherwise it becomes nothing but a gimmick. If all you want is humans with superpowers, why choose Pokémon as the world instead of any IP that features such people (or building your own original world)?
>>
>>33365552
I can see using culture as a means to help create difference between species. Indeed, I think that's one of the ways I do it (or at least will at some point show), but given that different species of pokemon exist, you sort of have to go with making mental differences as well.

Or did I misinterpret you?
>>
>>33365545
Can have different cultures too. If you go to another part of the world people are bound to believe in other things that will challenge your own worldview. Give the monsters interesting societies.
>>33365552
What else could the external structure be besides culture? That's what ties peoples together.
>>33365553
You're damn right I lack creativity. Doesn't mean I can't fathom a concept based on what I've seen. I don't want superpowers or anything outside the pokemon world. I would like to read a story where the monsters are exotic but not monstrosities incapable of humanity's traits.
>>
>>33364954

yeah man it's too bad nobody remembers those pro interspecies rape movies Disney put out, real underappreciated classics
>>
>>33365609
>Or did I misinterpret you?
Not really, no. Cultural difference make showing mental differences easier, though. It takes some of the load, and gives a whole unit that the mental differences are only a part of.

Here, we don't get that luxury; we can't contrast the thought differences and the resulting societal differences. We have to show the thought differences within a single, unified (or at least all-encompassing) society on a region-by-region basis. Humans and pokemon live in a humanocentric system. Pokemon have little room for their internal differences to manifest as external, environmental details.

>>33365618
>What else could the external structure be besides culture? That's what ties peoples together.
That's the challenge; coming up with ways this'd work. For those of us who write character drama and slice-of-life, we have it a bit easier, because we can establish a cultural subunit of 'the household' which can be more freely loaded down with such clashing views. Those who write adventuring fics probably have it harder.
>>
>>33365553

all proper zingers man

the best part of pokemon is that in spite of all the differences pokemon and humans still manage to relate, it's a tale of overcoming social and cultural differences that people can find inspiration from

remove all that and pokemon fanfics aren't as emotionally impactful anymore
>>
>>33365618
>I would like to read a story where the monsters are exotic but not monstrosities incapable of humanity's traits.

What part of that requires making them identical to humans?

>the monsters are exotic

If you reduce that to purely superficial factors, you lose a lot of potential and end up making the story considerably more generic.

>I don't want superpowers or anything outside the pokemon world.

If Pokémon are exactly like humans, what makes it "the pokémon world" instead of a partially original one with Pokémon flavor wallpapered over it?

>your attitude in general

Laziness is never a good reason when it comes to art. Don't expect "I don't give a shit about my work lol" to be met with acceptance.
>>
File: Allegiances.png (282KB, 809x948px) Image search: [Google]
Allegiances.png
282KB, 809x948px
There are no humans in my world.
(and this stupid sprite sheet was out of date, but I used it anyway.)
>>
>>33364318
>crackpot "pokemon rights" trainers don't know proper social etiquette these days
maybe that's what happens when you send your kid out to travel cross-country innawoods
ya get a bunch of socially inept pokephiliac girls who dont know what training bras are and boys who dont understand why "no shirt no service" exists when its so fuckin hot outside
>>
>>33365631
Those are the types of stories I will read.

>>33365650
The part where they form their own society.

As generic as avoiding a taboo.

Because there are battles, strategy, types, abilities.

Acceptance. On /vp/. Laughing at the thought.
>>
File: 1480902839008.png (381KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
1480902839008.png
381KB, 700x560px
>>33365618
>>33365631
I agree about the importance of culture. I find it is affected by the modes in which the collective and the individual think, but nevertheless it is important to helping establish differences in a very acceptable and organic shorthand.

Cultural differences are what would flavor a region after all, since so much of a region's people, politics and society are influenced by it. That said, given the nature of what I've been writing, culture only shows up now and again - namely when it would make sense to tie it in. And usually that tie in is in the form of politics or attitudes.

I didn't expect my work to end up so political but then again I should have given the subjects I've chosen.

>>33365697
What sorts of things do you want to get out of your writing or interpretation of the world then anon? I'm curious. There are consequences to making pokemon basically like humans albeit with cultural differences via society, but does this mean you don't believe that they think fundamentally different from humans, or what?
>>
File: 1366731178894.jpg (176KB, 700x558px) Image search: [Google]
1366731178894.jpg
176KB, 700x558px
All this talk about Bisharp considerations reminded me of this.

Checkmate, bladelovers.
>>
>>33365697
>The part where they form their own society.

So only humans and creatures that are identical to humans can form socieites? Is that what you believe?

>As generic as avoiding a taboo.

Where do you get this idea that writing Pokémon as being exactly like humans is actually the norm? The vast majority of Pokémon fanfics that make Pokémon intelligent already do write them as humans in weird suits.

>Because there are battles, strategy, types, abilities.

Concepts you can have anywhere and a few IP-specific idiosyncrasies are enough for you? You don't want any sort of unique flavor?
>>
>>33365766
>Where do you get this idea that writing Pokémon as being exactly like humans is actually the norm?

* Where do you get this idea that writing Pokémon as __NOT__ being exactly like humans is actually the norm?
>>
>>33365746
Same way people from other parts of the world have different beliefs. Might make you question your own cause they have different religion or history. Not something a human would consider relatable coming from a monster without humanity.

>>33365766
No. Ants have society. They are not worth reading dramas about because it is too far removed from anything relatable for humans. If you like insects then cool.

From lurking this board giving monsters a human quality has a bad rep not sure what you meant.

Unique flavor is why I read fan fiction. Being against unique flavor means I should not read other takes on a franchise I enjoy.
>>
>>33364728
>dragonites working as postmen
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
>>
File: Octobes.png (519KB, 1370x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Octobes.png
519KB, 1370x1076px
>>33365678
Whoops, I see that I missed a few.
Anyway, it relates to how society came to be.
>>
File: Messenger_Dragonite.png (383KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Messenger_Dragonite.png
383KB, 720x404px
>>33364728
>>33365876
What's wrong with a little mail delivery?
>>
File: 1495067564117[1].png (171KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1495067564117[1].png
171KB, 400x400px
>>33364728
What about if there are no humans, but instead society is made up of Pokémon, who experience the same problems of crime as we do?
And new problems, like Type Supremacists?
You're dumb if you don't think that it can be serious.
>WATER PRIDE WORLD WIDE
>>
>>33365875
Why do you believe only human-identical societies can be relatable? Why do you imply it's a binary divide between human and not-human in fiction? Why do you imply that any alien society would be 100% disjunct from human societies?

>From lurking this board

/vp/ is a tiny minority compared to the Pokémon fanfic 'mainstream'.

>giving monsters a human quality

That does not have to mean making them identical to humans. Seriously, why do you think that?

>Unique flavor is why I read fan fiction. Being against unique flavor means I should not read other takes on a franchise I enjoy.

How does making something more generic make it unique?
>>
>>33364728
What's wrong with a dragonite postman?
>powerful enough to defend itself and the mail
>pokedex cites it as being on par with human intelligence, so it can understand the concept of mail and the importance of it
>and it can fly around the world in 16 hours, aka 1556 mph
>>
>>33365930
>What's wrong with a dragonite postman?
1. cge0361 wrote about one.
>>
>>33365919
Spriteswapping human societies with Pokémon is nothing but a gimmick. If you don't take advantage of the source material, why tie your work to it at all?

Most PMD stories are bland and generic because from the way they read, they're not about Pokémon, they're about medieval humans with superpowers.
>>
>>33365953
Take your fursecution complex back to your homeland.
>>
>>33365953
but it was also in the first movie? that's like complaining that someone used chansey as a nurse in a fic
>>
File: 1498918243862[1].png (212KB, 1280x1435px) Image search: [Google]
1498918243862[1].png
212KB, 1280x1435px
>>33365919
What, you want a repeat of the Second Water War?
Adolphin did nothing wrong.
>inb4 Disney is Nazi
>>
File: 1290560485527.png (224KB, 365x344px) Image search: [Google]
1290560485527.png
224KB, 365x344px
>this thread right now
>>
I'd like to quote a (slightly edited) chunk of a review I made of "The Human Species" several years back. This story is an excellent example of how fucked up turning pokemon into human equivalents can quickly get:

"How Pokemon are depicted in this story is distinctly strange. In the games and anime they're treated as somewhere between real world animals and humans, naturally avoiding civilization and acting on instinct but having some sort of intellectual awareness and limited ability to communicate with each other. Here they're treated as humans in furry bodies with superpowers. They have a written language, they live in cities, they have organized bureaucratic governments, they cook their own food, and they even use blatantly human expressions, yet for some inexplicable reason they universally label themselves with the inherently specieist term "Pokemon" as if every single non-human creature on the planet can be cleanly packed into one distinct group. With so many similarities between humans and Pokemon in this story, it's hard to imagine why there's a war between the two groups in the first place.

The author makes the typical lazy justification of this by portraying the entirety of humanity as heartless bastards, apparently united in their desire to mercilessly hunt down and enslave every Pokemon on the planet. Humans disagreeing on the treatment of Pokemon has been a major theme in every game in the series, so why aren't there at least any Team Plasma-esque Pokemon rights groups here? The only reason this story gets away with making Pokemon seem "different" is by making the human governments in this story act worse the Nazis."
>>
>>33365958
I've never even played PMD. This would be just like modern society, except without the Internet or advanced computers.
What makes what your writing not "animals with superpowers", though?
>>
File: gfs_52988_2_31.jpg (68KB, 1000x848px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_52988_2_31.jpg
68KB, 1000x848px
>>33365748
>hey look a cliff
>let's go near it
Mayu for the last time
>>
>>33366015
>What makes what your writing not "animals with superpowers", though?

Can you rephrase that in English?
>>
>>33365930
>powerful enough to defend itself and the mail
not from kitties
>pokedex cites it as being on par with human intelligence, so it can understand the concept of mail and the importance of it
and also the importance of licking stamps
>>
>>33366013
Your criticism perfectly encapsulates my problem with The Monster Within. It's just a bunch of homeless shmucks with fursuits and ptsd being hunted by a non-homeless shmuck in a fursuit with ptsd.
>>
>>33366015
Because pokemon are majorly more intelligent than animals but less intelligent than humans. It's not a one-or-the-other type thing.
>>
>>33366049
I accidently elided the copula in the argumentative clause.
>What makes
>what your writing [is] (accidently elided)
>not [be] (acceptably elided here in colloquial speech)
>"animals with superpowers",
>though?
>>
>>33357214
i see eeveelutions mayhaps?
>>
>>33366162
Stop reiterating that false dichotomy. It's not a matter of having to choose between 100% human and 100% beast.

An intelligent "alien" creature should display human-like/human-relatable traits as well as distinctly non-human ones. It takes effort to figure out what exactly that looks like, but it's possible and the results can be interesting without being "unrelatable".
>>
>>33364725
>Gardevoir with a Poké ball.
Do Pokémon ever catch/train other Pokémon in the games/anime?
>>
>>33366622
mewtwo in the first movie
>>
>>33366624
Thanks. I'm not actually going to watch it, but I'll read a summary.
>>
>>33366622
It's her own ball.
>>
File: 1477100920952.jpg (234KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477100920952.jpg
234KB, 640x720px
>>33366687
>It's her own ball.

Crap, I should've known it's been done before.

Hopefully my version isn't like yours then.
>>
>>33366697
>I am a genius
>Oh no!
What are the best moments of such a thing in Fanfiction that you guys come across?
>>
>>33367310
It's not really a best moment, but that's often what I experience when
>Writing something.
>Proof reading it later.
>>
>>33360767
https://pastebin.com/RauQ53Bf

this may have gotten a little borderline smut, but this was fun to write. I'll even make a "sequel" if anyone wants to see what happens next ;^) It's been a really long time since I've really written anything so I hope it's you like it at least.

>>33360801
working on this next, will probably be done tomorrow morning
>>
File: 1490707437219.jpg (43KB, 640x383px) Image search: [Google]
1490707437219.jpg
43KB, 640x383px
>>33368546
Your sentences run on a little long. Don't be afraid to cut things off into their own sentences instead of throwing commas everywhere. The tempo ends up suffering more than it's been helped because of them, and it's just easier to digest full stops in sequence than constant continuations.
>>
>>33368546
>Anon held out the money ...., quickly heading back
How can you buy ice cream at the same time as heading back to your Pokémon?
How about "and quickly headed back..."?
>pokémon
Should be capitalized.
>a little
You use this five times and the repetition becomes distracting.
>huh?” He says
You the same guy who wrote >>33331303? Same problem with speech tags.
>moving in and casually licking
How can Mienshao talk at the same time as licking Anon's fingers?
>the inside of his Mienshao’s warm mouth
Isn't the tongue outside her mouth?
>Mienshao licks
Inconsistent tense.
>Ignoring him, ... , now looking at him
Can't be both at once.
>Anon’s spine shot up
Sounds painful. I'm convinced English isn't your first language. Try "A shiver shot up Anon's spine".
>“Ice-creamy…” she moaned softly, licking his lips
Impossible simultaneous action again.
>He looked at Mienshao, confused as she packed up the parasol and towel.
This means Mienshao is confused, which I don't think you intended. You need another comma after "confused" if Anon is the confused one.
>>
>>33368738
>>33368987
thanks for the advice

like I said, I haven't written anything in a LONG time so I know it needs a lot of improvement, I didn't write >>33331303 and English IS my first language
>>
>>33366622
From the Oranguru page on the official Pokemon Sun Moon website:
>Allegedly, there have been sightings of Oranguru using Poké Balls!
But the site doesn't go into any more details, and since it says "allegedly", it's possible that it's not even true at all.
>>
>>33367600
Ah, but for me it happens in reverse too.
>That idea sucks. (doesn't write it down)
Later:
>What was that idea again?
>>
>>33370504
Is that because you get a new idea and it feels worse than the one that you dismissed previously, or because you find yourself without a new idea at all and begin feeling remorse?
>>
>>33370570
Both.
>>
>>33370624
In the former case, you've probably gotten a new idea that works but doesn't touch a particular detail that the previous one did, making it feel hollow. E.g., I just wrote a scene and it works true to the scene, but it also didn't do the thing that I thought I would write a scene like that to do. So now what? I accept that the old idea—which was probably over the top or a cliche/trope creeping in were I to execute it as I first saw it—is pointing out how I want to accomplish that goal; the new idea doesn't sacrifice any integrity to play out, and shows that I need an even better circumstance to accomplish the first vision's goal. From this new perspective, I realize that the first vision was a short cut, because after 60k, it's been a long first act, but the note I want to play only works in the right moment, and constructing a moment for it will resonate artificially. So, pursue the second idea but keep the first idea's purpose in mind for when that task may be accomplished.

In the latter case, writer's block sucks, but the old idea was probably rubbish if "nothing" is steadier in your mind than the crumpled paper ball in your mental wastebasket. It's probably time to sit down and just ask your characters what they want to do next.

And then, something will happen and you can go back to the I Am A Genius face (for a moment).
>>
>>33370624
I just want to make sure that my first story actually has a chance at getting finished... Not wasting too much time on things that can be altered later. Because if I fail to finish my first story, then I've failed myself.
>>
>>33370777
lucky trips
>>
>>33370777
How long are you shooting for for a first story? First bites are best bitty.
>>
>>33370813
I would have said "as long as it takes", but that isn't really a good timeframe.
Hmm... between 20000 and 100000 words.

If I can just get the first chapter out, then I'll have a good reason to finish the story.
I have a bad history of stopping things before I've finished them...
(looks through notebook of Super Mario 64 hack level designs from 2012 and weeps)
>>
>>33371252
>Hmm... between 20000 and 100000 words.
Ambitious.
My first completed story was about 4,000. Then I added a 0, backed off to 15k, and after that I went insane.
>>
>>33371252
My first story has recently broken 200,000 words, mostly because I didn't really have much of a plan starting out (and I can get a little long-winded here and there). It's still growing too.

Good luck friend.
>>
How do you niggas even write so much in a single story?
>>
>>33372309
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10215497/1/The-Greatest-There-Was-or-Ever-Will-Be
>It's only 11 chapters.
>>
>>33372484
title tells truth
</fanfiction>
>>
File: 1489227228399[1].png (277KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
1489227228399[1].png
277KB, 600x519px
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12618481/1/Pok%C3%A9Countries-Or-What-Happened-After-the-Second-Pokemon-World-War
>Little Boy used Self-Destruct, and within seconds, Hiroshima had fainted.
Am I a horrible person for laughing at this? It only has one review but it seems like it should have received more attention.
>>
File: 1492399247362.jpg (419KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1492399247362.jpg
419KB, 1024x768px
And so, Chapter 11 of ACPC: Finally Some Answers Edition, is now live!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12009986/11/Au-Coup-Par-Coup
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7262536/chapters/26862978
>>
File: Full snake team.png (87KB, 824x183px) Image search: [Google]
Full snake team.png
87KB, 824x183px
bump
>>
File: 1288394568920.png (131KB, 565x500px) Image search: [Google]
1288394568920.png
131KB, 565x500px
Here's Chapter 10 of [Vines of Deceit], "Victory": http://archiveofourown.org/works/9294437/chapters/26864664
>>
>>33372599
Speaking of this, I'm surprised there haven't been many, if any, PokéWWII fics, neither grand ones nor small ones. I mean, we have PokéFrance in Kalos, two PokéAmerica regions, including one, Alola, where the Pokémon world's version of Pearl Harbor would be, and 4 regions of PokéJapan, including Slateport City which is literally Nagasaki.

I mean, are we just waiting for PokéGermany before beginning or what?
>>
>>33373422
Funny enough, I had one in the works for a while.
It was going to focus a lot more on the western front than the pacific theatre. It was going to be more along the premise of "oh shit, pokegermany is using pokemon to fight wars even though they really shouldn't because last time the king of france dropped a nuke on unova"
>>
anything with ultras beasts? other then that ones thats bascialyl a leroy jenkins paraody.
>>
>>33373294

>not using best skysnek mega fug.
>>
>>33368546
Thanks anon!
I wouldn't mind a sequel if you want to make one.
>>
>>33373555
One could if he would focus on the battle at hand, but he's always got his head in the clouds. So, experienced snake handlers prefer the ones that are more down to earth.
>>
>>33372941
does charles want ghost pussy
>>
>>33374913
who doesn't?
>>
>>33374922
maybe not from a ragdoll
>>
>>33374913
I'm not sure yet, actually. Probably not, but I could change my mind.
>>
>>33374973
well it would be a funny if not cliched coincidence that both he and his trainer like occult bitches. also drifblim cracked me up, will we see more of her?
>>
>>33375014
We might. I like that her first speaking line was something so simple and core to her personality, but I haven't laid out anything concrete yet.
>>
Who's the best smut writer?
>>
>>33375328
Impossible to pick out since they come and go a lot in these threads. The only one that visits on a semi-regular basis is SexTheHex, and even then he usually does m/m or girlyboi stuff. At the least he is the most recognizable
>>
>>33375328
vulpsis gone but not forgotten
>>
>>33368546
OR of the leavanny request. How goes the writing of the story? Still looking forward to it!
>>
>>33375328
I vote ee4ee
there are probably at least ten of us waiting for more spicy chicken
>>
>>33375633
Next story with him's not gonna be smutty. After that, there might be room. So we'll see.

I'm writing smut-as-story-demands so it's not really gonna be predictable. Sorry!
>>
>>33375703
making us wait longer to stiffen our resolve
pro tactics
hail to the queen
>>
how do I write an original region in a setting pretty different from established Pokemon? Readers are inevitably going to have assumptions about the world that will clash with details afterwards, how do I clear these up at the beginning andp resent the world?
>>
>>33375789
[blog]
Well right NOW the wait is just because I'm in a bit of crunch-time on an original project, but I still got the next story open in a doc I drop some words in when I have a moment.
[/blog]
>>
>>33375930
Have it noticeably isolated from the other regions, maybe physically, maybe culturally. I mean, Alola sets itself apart culturally from the other regions by its use of riding mons, trials, etc.; Unova sets itself apart from the Japanese regions with the presence of a more crowded city with occasional non-English words slipping into sentences; etc. Then there's the guy in the /heg/ thread making a North Korea-based crystal hack who says he's trying to make it feel like it would fit into the Pokemon world, despite being, well, North Korea.
>>
>>33375996
No one's going to have even heard of any other regions. The main thing here would be how elaborate gyms are as challenges, I guess. The bug gym would require the challenger to survive in a hostiel jungle for several days, the water gym would have the challenger navigate to an uncharted island, and so on.

What would an ideal protagonist for exploring the story be, though? Someone from a very ordinary city, bascially like a typical game starting town, from one of the culutrally important centers, like Ecruteak or Celestic with lots of lore, or someone haling straight from a massive capital like Lumiose? So far I've been thinking of farmer girl breaking away to try life as a trainer to visit the Three Realms , but there's also kid from Dragon Capital who has already been told to great things with all the gym leaders treating them like a special trainer to challenge extremely hard. Bascially, ordinary eprson versus designated hero.
>>
>>33375930
Establish that reader expectations will be wrong from the beginning by showcasing a significant difference very early on. From there readers will know not to trust their assumptions until it's been established in the story.
>>
Hey /vp/, long time no see.

You guys got any advice for these?
https://pastebin.com/KDyRpgUZ Lass x Steven Stone
https://pastebin.com/ePTJ72WM
May X Shelly +grunts
https://pastebin.com/dZ4fDHFK
Lyra

The first one I'm pretty positive is SFW. The last two are definitely not.

Thoughts, opinions, etc? They'll go up on Ao3 eventually.
>>
>>33376107
If you start off with the farmer, it would give you more reason to explain things that a city-slicker would innately know.
>>
Lately I've had more trouble than usual finishing things that I've started.
But I'm about to try a new idea.
>>
File: 1408045285578.jpg (97KB, 716x713px) Image search: [Google]
1408045285578.jpg
97KB, 716x713px
>>33375492
Happy to provide weird and gay smut no one asked for, as always.
>>
>>33376910
I didn't realize how well this idea would work for me, I'm already more than a thousand words in.
>>
>>33377449
What are you writing about anon
>>
File: absol[1].jpg (23KB, 156x234px) Image search: [Google]
absol[1].jpg
23KB, 156x234px
>>33377485
the antagonist defiling himself
>>
>>33376107
A region with modern technology and culture that tons of other first-world regions have will in no way be separate or unaware of those regions. You're going to have a hell of a time explaining why it's "the same basically except harder and the other regions aren't relevant lol"

A farm girl would have better basic food preparation skills than the city boy, and she'd be more used to physical labor even if he may have greater muscle mass. Imo, it would be easier to make things more interesting with a character of her background.
>>
>>33377662
elaborate
>>
>>33377662
good
m/solo bj is rare smut
>>
>>33375930
>>33376107
Plant the MC in Siberia or an isolated jungle/mountain area. The problem is that having a whole region isolated, yet still filled with tons of people and mons, is nearly impossible unless you go the 1984-style, totalitarian world, or you set the plot deep in the past.
>>
>>33377863
>>33378036
>set the plot deep in the past
Close, it's far, FAR in the future.

How do I describe exotic architecture? I don't want to just post pictures of the styles I hjave in mind in the middle of the text.
>>
File: 1483549238919.jpg (245KB, 425x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1483549238919.jpg
245KB, 425x1050px
This was sitting a quarter complete in a doc for a while, so I went ahead and finished it.

Facade, Chapter 2:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/11290725/chapters/26882355

Sorry if it's a radical departure from the mood of the previous chapter.
>>
>>33379021
Dedicate two or three pages to describing it in excruciating detail. Treat it like you're writing smut. Arouse your readers with your flying buttresses.
>>
File: in my panties.gif (174KB, 500x257px) Image search: [Google]
in my panties.gif
174KB, 500x257px
>>33379087
>Treat it like you're writing smut. Arouse your readers with your flying buttresses.
I fucking love architecture
>>
File: 2633948c16bbdee4abc932f87ddf72f4.gif (714KB, 477x1178px) Image search: [Google]
2633948c16bbdee4abc932f87ddf72f4.gif
714KB, 477x1178px
>>33375614
sorry for the wait, will definitely finish it tomorrow
>>
>>33379087
It will be based on real world architecture and styles, Javanese and so on, but since Java and Scandinavia and whatnot don't exist I'll have to try hard as fuck to get anything conveyed.

Nothing futuristic, tech levels are going to be slightly lower than regular Pokemon.
>>
>>33381273
>since Java and Scandinavia and whatnot don't exist I'll have to try hard as fuck to get anything conveyed
It shouldn't be any more or less difficult than conveying anything else architectural. Either you're bemoaning having to convey it without a shortcut like "…the Javanese-like architecture…" to expedite your establishment, or I'm not seeing your problem as you see it.

Rose windows. If you don't have 'em, get 'em. People love that shit.
>>
>>33379021
Read through this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_architecture
Even better (longer):
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossaire_de_l%27architecture
With pictures:
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Glosario_de_arquitectura
Funny names:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Architektur_und_Bauwesen/Stichwortverzeichnis
>Arbeitsstättenverordnung
>Erschütterungsschutzmittel
>Nachtstromspeicherheizung
>Schachtsonderkonstruktion
>Schwachstromversorgung
>Wasserdampfdurchlässigkeit
> Zeiss-Dywidag-Schalenbauweise
Of course, there's always:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?target=en&inContent=true&q=architecture&doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/searchresults?target=en&inContent=true&q=architecture&doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0057
Click on the blue (More) to see all the matching dictionary entries.
>>
File: index.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>33375614
>>33360801
Finished, hope you like it!
https://pastebin.com/WiSxdyZh
as with the other one I'd be willing to do a lewd follow-up to this if you want
>>
File: 12008[1].jpg (152KB, 750x582px) Image search: [Google]
12008[1].jpg
152KB, 750x582px
Lusitanian bump
>>
File: Chopping_Block.png (4MB, 1600x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Chopping_Block.png
4MB, 1600x1092px
Autistic bump
>>
>>33384262
What the fuck IS this?
>>
File: Planetary_Symbols.png (102KB, 1296x973px) Image search: [Google]
Planetary_Symbols.png
102KB, 1296x973px
>Pre-weekend status update encouraged by discussions ITT
Chapter 5 of my WIP is close to finalized. Been writing about a concept for an OC town out on the frontier of Orre. Drawing ideas from lore in the American Southwest, the significance of celestial objects (perhaps due to excellent views of the stars in a desert region) is a reoccurring motif I do not wish to neglect as I develop my theme. Being that the MC is a city girl from Unova, I anticipate to detail culture shocks as she adjusts to a new environment along with her Pokémon; however, I’m trying to balance surprise with concepts a person from the big city should at least be acquainted with. Namely, planets and constellations. Based on game lore, Unova has its own zodiac for the constellations – using Pokémon from that region. It’s probably foreseeable a person who never studied the stars would at least be aware of their sign from reading a horoscope in the papers, tabloids, or online. Therefore, her shock is not so much from the actual cosmological terms, but the greater significance attributed to them, especially for navigation in a place where you don’t have street names.
Function may develop into folklore. For example, a local guild refers to the “Effort Values” when training a Pokémon to six planets, pic related (4.6 billion years in M$ Paint). To someone who is accustomed with super training, a very down-to-earth understanding of ability growth, the use of heavenly objects to classify a Pokémon’s proficiency may be a surprise. Nevertheless, I’m writing this fiction’s POV with a fish out of water mentality. Two resulting consequences: learning wilderness survival, and making connections with locals familiar with the area as well as its quirks.
Thanks for reading a short blog. I’ll have more content published soon, promise.
>>
File: ACPC - Mortician Blade.png (1MB, 932x1174px) Image search: [Google]
ACPC - Mortician Blade.png
1MB, 932x1174px
Charles and an approximation of Ignace
>>
>>33384482
Your astrology is nonsense but you're a namefriend and I learned a little astro crap before committing to my stories' lore mechanic so I'll point you in the right direction.

Let's accept Mars as Physical Attack. We can then take Saturn as Physical Defense because Saturn is a malicious planet like Mars, and is all about being slow, sturdy, and tough to beat.
That leaves us the beneficent planets for Special, and between Venus and Jupiter, I'd take Jupiter for Special Attack because Jupiter is the commander to Mars' soldier, and Venus defends because Venus is a lazy fuck and wouldn't get off her couch for any shit short of a spa day.
Mercury is acceptable enough as speed; it's a stretch but not the bad kind.
The earth is fine for HP because [astrology essay here] and it'll make clear that your astrology is different from IRL.

>a person who never studied the stars would at least be aware of their sign from reading a horoscope in the papers
This only holds if the sun is part of your astrology, which you've excluded from your system. But if you put the sun in for HP instead of the earth, that's fixed. That could make the moon's absence an issue, but you could bring it in as the sign of nature/characteristic and satisfy the stat you forgot and the seven planet system at the same time.
>>
>>33385071
Holy shit son, this is fantastic! I realize that I almost never give complete descriptions of my human characters (except I suppose Ana since she's literally a canon appearance hex maniac that changes her clothing from time to time) because I generally feel like I should be avoiding "and this is how they look: exposition dump" when I write.

But you drew him first which means this is now how he looks in canon.
>>
>>33385513
>I generally feel like I should be avoiding "and this is how they look: exposition dump" when I write.
That's how I've felt, but some people seem to like the info-dumping, so I'm making an experiment of being more explicitly descriptive in places I wouldn't be once in a while—if for no other reason that I've noticed that when I do specify a detail, it seems to be overlooked or forgotten.

We just don't want to read first paragraphs that start with "X woke up and got out of bed. He is Y feet, Z inches tall, his eyes are browner than the tannest of leather seats and wears size 10-3/4 DD-width shoes, Converse All-stars and always red, of course" style material.

Also, have >>33385071 printed and put it on your wall.
>>
>>33384291
Pokémon that wouldn't go in my story.
>>
>>33385664
>striking out final forms but not first/middles
How will you enforce this prohibition?
>>
>>33385664
But why, though?
>>
>>33386188
Multiple reasons.
These are guidelines which I could break if I really wanted to use them anyway.
Removed because it is:
Unrealistic- Mega Evolution (An unnecessary mechanic, and if there are no battles, doubly unnecessary. It's better without it.)
Since there are no humans: Pokémon resembling Pokeballs (Foongus; Voltorb gets a pass because it could be coincidental), or human constructions (Trubbish, Vanilluxe), Artificial Pokémon (Porygon, Mewtwo, Grimer, Castform)
No mouth or realistic means of locomotion (not psychic): Hitmonlee, Magnemite, Kling, etc.
Stupid gimmick forms, or exceptionally ugly designs: Legendary Golems, Throh&Sawk, Genies, Darumaka, Mega evolutions
Unrealistic evolutions: Shelgon, Clamperl, Remoraid, Forretress, Exeggutor, Grumpig, Mega evolutions, etc.

No reasonably conceivable means of intraspecies reproduction, or not resembling a (object, plant, fish, amphibian, insect, reptile, bird, mammal, ghost): Ditto, Grimer, Koffing, Chansey, etc.
Computers. (Metagross)

The reasons do stack up.
Computers don't have a conceivable way of reproducing, have ugly designs, and are human constructions. A triple whammy.

If the world had no moon, would there be a Cresselia, Lunatone, or Lunala?
>>33385754
Um... design better versions?

Everything is meant to fit together like superglue, making a (almost) totally internally-consistent fictional world.
It can be reused over and over again, in later stories.
I wouldn't have it any other way; if I like these unfortunate Pokémon designs, I can always read the works of other people, or "justify" their unlikely existence, or "modify" their designs to make them more realistic, or replace them with suitable equivalents.
It's not realism that I'm after so much as internal consistency.
>>
File: 53608051_p0.jpg (250KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
53608051_p0.jpg
250KB, 1000x1000px
>>33386927
So basically your reason is "I don't like these pokemon but I DO like my fan evolutions"
Pretty weak, anon. Also, Sawk is da bomb, pls no bully.
>>
>>33385396
>Your astrology is nonsense but you're a namefriend and I learned a little astro crap before committing to my stories' lore mechanic so I'll point you in the right direction.
>Namefriend
I'm honored. Seriously. No memes.
The idea concerning the concept of planetary correlation to the various stats for Pokémon is something that's been on my mind since forever. Perhaps even before I began serious writing. I'm at least happy to see I'm not the only one who has given this idea thought and sacrificed some sleep over it.
Out of curiosity, what fiction of yours best encapsulates your astrological viewpoint? I ask out of interest so that I may better approach my own story's lore with a unique take on it. I understand from previous posts you have attributed various stellar concepts to the creatures in your tales.
I'm attempting to make Solrock and Lunatone two of the principal figures as well (sol and lune, hence the pen-name adopted). The main town in HS incorporates their names in addition to their cosmological importance. It's still a work in progress, but I hope for it to become something worth the time I've devoted to it. I'll strive to make it so.
>>
>>33387330
>hence the pen-name adopted
Only asking since the post cge linked is from a new-to-thread IP when >>33330404 exists, and this bit I quoted here makes it sound like it's your first time here grabbing the name; are you the same as the thread regular Solar or did you not realize the name is currently in-use?
>>
>>33387359
I've been Solar for some time, for Protector in particular. It's just my latest WIP, Heaven's Slice, is published under the name Solarune.
>>
>>33387385
I realized my IP changed. Times like these a trip would probably help, but I'm always left thinking: who in their right mind would want to impersonate me? Let alone get away with it.
>>
File: RefDraws.png (445KB, 1033x751px) Image search: [Google]
RefDraws.png
445KB, 1033x751px
>>33385513
Glad you like it, the look varied between that, and and a more stock standard detective look in all black.

>>33385608
Char descriptions are tricky, it takes finesse to get them to read well, and even then, 10 chapters later you might have forgotten, overlooked or mis-remembered some details without reinforcement. I don't think about it too much until I'm like "I'll draw these guys"

As a drawer, I've found that the details can match but still be drawn in a way that's not quite right, it becomes like you said about the difference in the mind's eye of the writer and the artist.
>>
Anyone here got any fics where the protagonist dies and the side characters deal with it emotionally?
>>
File: Lt_Surge-1.jpg (128KB, 477x997px) Image search: [Google]
Lt_Surge-1.jpg
128KB, 477x997px
>>33335451
No. Lt.Surge hasn't been retcon.
You're information is Fanon.
>>
>>33387617
It's a really fitting look for Ignace, I believe.

>>33387661
I was specifically mentioning that him being American was retconned. He has not, to my knowledge, been made not a soldier.
>>
File: Arcanine_Pokédex_entry_(3).png (75KB, 480x323px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanine_Pokédex_entry_(3).png
75KB, 480x323px
>>33335902
>Asia doesn't exist.

Are all fan fiction writers still stupid or is just you?

Canonically, Pokèmon World is Earth and all locations exist on it.
>>
>>33387661
>>33387665
The line that's cut off from that image is just the NPC wondering if Lt. Surge is from Unova or not.
>>
File: question.png (159KB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
question.png
159KB, 480x359px
>>33387688
I just realize that I didn't add this image.
>>
File: No_American_wasn_t_Retconned-1.jpg (148KB, 477x1058px) Image search: [Google]
No_American_wasn_t_Retconned-1.jpg
148KB, 477x1058px
>>33387665
No. American hasn't been retconned.
Regions are part of countries on Earth.
Regions are not countries.
They are part of them.

Fun fact: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh are part of Japan country.

Unova is far away from and is part of another country.
>>
>>33387720
Good thing I'm writing fanfiction then, eh?
>>
>>33387330
>what fiction of yours best encapsulates your astrological viewpoint?
The choice I made upon finalizing Waterlogged's coda is that astronomy would have a glitch in it, one rarely observed and treated with less respect than a conspiracy theory due to an inability to be substantiated (like all other /x/ topics), and that astrology would specifically not work (as in, worse than it already doesn't work).

Fortunately I never needed to make more of the motif than its use as a clue to how I was conceptualizing my irrelevant/suspended-disbelief means of making IRL world, Canon world, and Ocimene world co-exist, so I avoided surely off-putting stellar cartography and /x/ tutorials in any of my stories about how people who are accompanied by bizarre monsters could live different kinds of lives than our own.

I did note that a little paranormal could be cool and that some goofy alien stuff is Canon-approved, so when I realized that card reading would be neat on a pokemon (and I'd already introduced flash cards as a communication aid for mute pokemon) I did a quick study of that and some other magic tricks and integrated bits of it in my next story, along with some (mis?-)information giving a game-canon explanation for the IRL/Canon/AU issue.

>>33387617
You've gotten them more right than I would've ever expected, with the only conflict in this lineup against details established in LL so far is that you have Percival and Matthew race-swapped.

I don't think Terrance ever got a surname anywhere, probably it never came up. I also intended for him to have an always-changing team—his pokemon never stayed long enough for a reader to need their names—but it didn't fit the scenes as portrayed. I reworked the concept late, with him picking up a linoone with a history, creating a path toward becoming a pokemon foster/rehab kind of guy.

>>33387635
I did once, but only in a small epilogue; I wanted to focus on mood, not drama.

>>33387672
Just mè.
>>
File: Hoothoot_Pokédex_entry_(3).png (102KB, 479x317px) Image search: [Google]
Hoothoot_Pokédex_entry_(3).png
102KB, 479x317px
>>33387733
It's important to be accurate.
Countries exist on Earth.
Regions are part of them.
>>
>>33387672
>pokedex entry from when Pokemon setting was not set in stone yet

I wodner why they don't say France at all in Kalos? Almost as if by then they decided to create a more detaield world with counterparts to real life coutnries that don't use their names. Really makes you think
>>
Stop replying to Richard, newfags.
>>
>>33387672
Just because a country called "China" exists doesn't mean it's the same China as in the real world.
>>
>>33387949
Lol, No! But seriously, you need to pay attention to in-game universe information better in future
>>
File: U29BIqi.jpg (169KB, 488x2060px) Image search: [Google]
U29BIqi.jpg
169KB, 488x2060px
>>33387917
Region ≠ country.
Regions are part of countries.
>>
File: SazHs9u.jpg (96KB, 471x717px) Image search: [Google]
SazHs9u.jpg
96KB, 471x717px
>>33387917
Region ≠ country.

Kalos is part of a country.
>>
>>33387917
>France at all in Kalos.

Kalos is a region. France is a country.
>>
File: N-occitania[1].gif (33KB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
N-occitania[1].gif
33KB, 300x257px
>>33387986
Where's my Occitanian region?
Monaco would have the Game Corner.
>>
>>33382298
OR. Almost missed this. Pretty cute, but did felt a bit shorter than anticipated. Still a lovely piece though. What I'd suggest is adding a few enter keys around the larger blocks where anon talks so that it doesn't look like a cluster of words.
I'd welcome a lewdish follow-up if you're willing to make it!
>>
>>33387672
but can mew learn crabhammer?
>>
>>33387785
Richard, please go and stay go.
>>
>>33387720

don't worry comrade these unamericans don't appreciate the reality of Unova actually being a self contained governmental district in eastern New York
>>
File: 62681991_p9.jpg (69KB, 540x670px) Image search: [Google]
62681991_p9.jpg
69KB, 540x670px
But Richard's right about everything. You can still be creative and make up your own worlds and stuff, but you are deviating from established canon. Unless GF makes a public statement retconning what you seem to want to write off as "early installment weirdness" (America, China, indian elephants, hamburgers and fish sticks) like Ninty did with Zelda, that stuff is still canon.

china region when
i want beijing's gym to be the forbidden city
>>
>>33390139
By the very act of writing fanfiction you have deviated from canon.

What an author does with that deviation is what is judged, not how hard they deviated, not counting extreme exceptions. Right or not is irrelevant; it is moot.
>>
>>33390163
I wasn't saying deviation was bad, but everyone saying "lol but no because that was a long time ago friendo" are being foolish
>>
>>33390197
Pokemon "canon" is a very silly thing that is filled with contradictions. That people would ignore older stuff when newer stuff suggests something different or doesn't align with what has already been explained is natural.
>>
>>33388437
Game freak haven't introduce it yet.
>>
>>33390221
There are no contradictions.
>>
>>33387635

how the fuck is nobody responding to this guy
the obvious answer is No Antidote-
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4390479/1/No-Antidote
>>
File: IMG_20170821_122949.jpg (41KB, 624x739px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170821_122949.jpg
41KB, 624x739px
>>33390139
Please don't shitpost with my wife
>>
>>33390501
what do you rather he do with your wife?
>>
>>33390139
>>33390221
What I seek is more internal consistency than Game Freak.
Culling the cancerous contradictions, and inserting ingenious ideas.
>>33390163
This guy gets it.
>>
File: 63947458_p39.jpg (191KB, 1310x1172px) Image search: [Google]
63947458_p39.jpg
191KB, 1310x1172px
>>33390501
>discussion is shitposting
sometimes I forget that I'm on /vp/
>>
>>33390608
This. I just don't see "muh countries" as an unsalvageable contradiction.
>>
You guys shitposted the thread right through the bump limit
>>
Will someone make a new thread before this one dies, or will we wait days for someone to be pressured into doing it by the need to post a new chapter?
>>
File: First attempt.png (211KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
First attempt.png
211KB, 2048x2048px
What is this?
>>
>>33391201
Too lazy and away to make a new thread. Someone else do it.
>>
>>33391213
I could do it, but like always, I unfortunately have no ideas for a TOTT
>>
>>33391274
ToTT: Do you recommend music to readers while reading certain scenes?
>>
>>33391326
Good enough. I'll use it. Gimme a minute.
>>
New thread is up. I hope it's to your liking.
>>33391444
>>
>>33391453
It's trips, what's not to like?
>>
>>33387635
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12245248/22/Fury-and-Confusion

This one is really great, it's about chicken-chan falling to their death at the beginning of the game and lillie having to cope.

It stopped updating in January but it looks like the authors came back!
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 82

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.