[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Following Pokemon aren't likely to happen.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

File: HighPolyLowPoly.png (3MB, 1925x1867px) Image search: [Google]
HighPolyLowPoly.png
3MB, 1925x1867px
USM is VERY unlikely to contain a full roster of following Pokemon, and here's why.

The walking animations that have been datamined for all Pokemon are for the high poly Pokemon models. They are linked to its skeleton and rig. High poly asset are a heavy hit on performance- like you see in double battles in SM.

In order for the overworld to not have poor performance, Game Freak created low poly versions of some Pokemon and trainers . Compare your trainer model used during a battle to the one used during overworld exploration.

People who believe that because there are the animations for walking means that following is happening don't understand that Game Freak can't use the high poly animated models in the overworld. That would likely destroy performance. They would have to create a completely different low poly model for each Pokemon, and map the animations to that. Even if the low poly models were created using the same rig and skeleton as the high polys, animations are hard to get working flawlessly across multiple models without clipping problems.

The way I see it, there are only four possibilities this trailer snippet suggests.
1. Game Freak somehow managed to get the high poly models to run well in the overworld, and they will simply use those. (If this is the case, it makes you question why low poly models were ever used in the first place).
2. Game Freak has created a whole set of low poly Pokemon models that have the same rig as the high poly, and will transfer over the datamined walking animations we have seen to the low poly (This is a large amount of work by Game Freak standards).
3. The number of following Pokemon will be limited to ones that already have low poly models that you see in the overworld in SM (such as the starters, Miltank, Pyukumuku, Pikachu, Tauros etc.) because they have already done that work.
4. Rockruff will be a unique case and be the only following Pokemon (or NPC).
>>
I think 1 or 3 are most likely. Maybe with extra time they worked out thw kinks?
>>
>>33324736

Oranguru, Magmar, Marowak, Slowpoke, Rockruff, and Mimikyu also already had overworld models in SM

And Alolan Vulpix has one in USUM
>>
>>33324736
You know what this means, right?

FOLLOWING POKEMON ON THE SWITCH
>>
>>33324736
>gamefreak learning how to properly make a videogame
All in on 4
>>
>>33324736
People believing this are just children anyway. Anyone thinking knows how GF and the 3DS work.
>>
OP's post is too long. Does he know that there were a bunch of unused low-poly variations of those models found at the same time as the walking animations?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170817-004034.png (329KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170817-004034.png
329KB, 1080x1920px
>>
>2. Game Freak has created a whole set of low poly Pokemon models that have the same rig as the high poly, and will transfer over the datamined walking animations we have seen to the low poly (This is a large amount of work by Game Freak standards).
Yeah, those are already in the data. The guy who originally found the walking animations even posted an animation of the low-poly bulbasaur walking as an example.
>>
>>33324736
Why do high poly models even exist by the way? It's a fucking 3DS
>>
>>33324834
DENIALFAGS CAN'T STOP GETTING BTFO
>>
>>33324840

Do you not know what future proofing is
>>
>>33324736
apperently the majority of people here is either too stupid or underage to understand this simple thing

>>33324840
they're future proof so they don't have to remake them for future systems
>>
>>33324757
Machamp too
>>
>>33324840

Future-proofing so they won't have to make new ones for the Switch.
>>
>>33324840
To make the Pokemon look perfect. It's a turn-based game so frame rate isn't that important.
>>
>>33324834
oh, I haven't seen the low-poly bulbasaur
post link
>>
File: Passimian.webm (2MB, 431x402px) Image search: [Google]
Passimian.webm
2MB, 431x402px
>>33324840
The models are used for the assists in Pokken and in GO.
>>
>>33324852
>>33324864
>>33324878
>>33324883
They could have kept the high poly models on their PCs or whatever. The 3DS just can't handle them properly with that old ass SoC and can't benefit from them with that 240p screen. Hell, all you need to get some low poly models is some clicks depending on the program they are using.
>>
>>33324736
they're just assets for the switch game
3ds is a 6 years old obsolete hardware
>>
File: bulbasaur wireframe.webm (958KB, 309x252px) Image search: [Google]
bulbasaur wireframe.webm
958KB, 309x252px
>>33324889
Every single Pokemon, their gender differences and forms have them. However they lack proper texturing.
>>
>>33324883
Yeah, let's just throw battery life and performance away because we are lazy. It's a turn-based game by the way, isn't it?
>>
>>33324919
Please post your source.
>>
>>33324951
The guy who found the walking animations, you sperg.

https://twitter.com/KazoWAR/status/805744147046998016
>>
>>33324946
Again, it's a turn based game. Performance for SOME battles going down doesn't matter that much.
>>
>>33324951
Don't you hate when you try to call someone out and they make you look like an ass?
>>
>>33325012
>some
>says this while any battle makes the 3DS get hot after some time
Stop defending them, they just fucked up like always.
>>
File: 1492950401481.png (393KB, 696x717px) Image search: [Google]
1492950401481.png
393KB, 696x717px
>>33324919
Haha yes. Look at that fat fucking cabbage toad waddle. It's so cute.
>>
Having low poly models of every mon and it not being implemented can only mean that GF are the cuk bastards we thought they were. Even worse than the battle frontier sign
>>
>>33324964
I hadn't seen that post before. Interesting. I suppose the possibility is there.

The question now is whether Game Freak would put all that time and effort into finishing the low poly models just to use them in USM, when they may not be used in the Switch version.

Though at the same time, if done right, I suppose Game Freak could use the low poly versions as LODs for the high polys at a distance, especially considering they are using the game animation files.

Thanks for the info, I was misinformed.
>>
>>33325025
Who pissed in your Cheerios? You can't expect everyone to just believe without evidence.
>>
>>33325040
The 3DS getting hot doesn't matter if the frame rate is fine.
>>
>>33324763
I could believe that. Its a fan favorite and moving to a higher powered system could make it possible.
>>
>>33325070
If it's getting hot means it is using more power, if it's using more power it means the battery is being wasted for no reason. Got it?
>>
>>33324883
>its a turn based game so frame rate isn't important
Idk about that poor optimization is a fair complaint.
>>
>>33324919
considering the lack of textures and general unpolish-ness of them, they're probably used in-battle to cast shadows since you don't need much detail for that and it would use less resources.
>>
>>33325161
how to out yourself about not knowing shit about 3D models: the post
Begone denialfag
>>
>>33325040
Whats wrong? Dont want your fat sweaty hands getting sweatier
>>
>>33325161
That would still be more effort than is needed though due to most 3d games being able to render shadows without the need for a separate model even if it didnt it would still be easier just to have a blacked out animated texture which would look better as well for the shadows instead of creating low poly models.
>>
>>33325264
Must be hard being a drone.
>>
>>33325093
The battery life playing SM is barely different from playing other games.

>>33325123
It has nothing to do with optimization, it's just GF wanting the Pokemon to actually look good instead of low poly ugly shit for a fucking turn based game that only lags in one of the two battle formats.
>>
>>33325301
>The battery life playing SM is barely different from playing other games.
Like what? Some heavy games like Smash? When compared to shit like Mario 3D World, Animal Crossing and Resident Evil, Pokémon's battery life is shit.
>>
3 or 4.
>>
>>33325301
>actually look good
>240p screen
You are not very smart, are you? It's not like a lower quality model would look worse.
>>
>>33325351
>It's not like a lower quality model would look worse
Yeah it would.

>>33325330
>these good looking games have worse battery life compared to these bad looking games

Wow you don't say
>>
>>33325300
Good argument buddy :^)

Im not the one joing the contrarian bandwagon
>>
File: 15876.png (866KB, 750x650px) Image search: [Google]
15876.png
866KB, 750x650px
>>33325377
>Yeah it would.
Retard. Look what 3D Land uses as model and it still looks awesome one 3DS.
https://www.models-resource.com/3ds/supermario3dland/

>Pokémon
>looking better than any of these games mentioned
You must be literally blind. Even Yokai Watch manages to look better and smooth than SM. GameFreak is just incompetent.

>>33325399
Right, you are the one being a blind fanboy.
>>
The rockruff following the trainer doesn't look like it belongs to the trainer. If it was a true following pokemon, it would follow at a set distance, not get farther away as the protagonist runs faster. Or else you'd be stopping for the pokemon to catch up and that would get annoying quick. As much as I'd love to believe they're bringing back following pokemon, it doesn't look true.
>>
>>33324834
those are models used for shadow projections in battle
notice how the shadows in battle have sharp polygonal looking edges
>>
>>33325186
this is a common method for shadows in nintendo games
see: super smash bros brawl
>>
Walking animations were for future proofing Pokefinder, it's how Jangmo-o and Dugtrio were available as targets in the Demo
>>
>>33326062
I would have to agree with you for now. Honestly, I would believe it more if that ends up being the special rockruff that can evolve to the Dawn form. You have to form a connection with it by playing with it each day or some shit.

I'd just like to know why the walking animations exist for every single pokemon
>>
>>33326062
I mean, it isn't unrealistic to think different Pokemon might follow at different speeds. Young, unevolved Pokemon might have a hard time keeping up to sorta add some depth to the mechanic. Like once your Pokemon grows up, it can keep up with you better.
>>
>>33326093
Why would the walking cycles be needed then? For walking and running speeds?

>>33326114
Is there a source on that? Seems more likely than anything
>>
>>33326137
all animations are compatible with the shadow models, because they need to follow the pokemon in battle
that's why they work with the walking animations
>>
>>33326147
Okay sure maybe they work for shadows. That's great and all but I still see no reason for them to go through and animate two walking speeds. When they could simply animate the models doing the attack animations
>>
>>33326168
Depending on how the low poly models were rigged, it's entirely possible that there's simply an animation instruction that is compatible with both the high and low poly. So by making a the low and high poly have compatible rigs, the low poly would be able to use the walking and running animations with no extra effort.
>>
File: Wireframe Machamp.gif (3MB, 532x537px) Image search: [Google]
Wireframe Machamp.gif
3MB, 532x537px
Had to dig to find it, but here's a comparison between untextured in-game Machamp and its low-poly model.
>>
If they just did it with the starters I could never be more happier
>>
>>33324736
>2. Game Freak has created a whole set of low poly Pokemon models that have the same rig as the high poly, and will transfer over the datamined walking animations we have seen to the low poly (This is a large amount of work by Game Freak standards).
but what if........... they wanted to do this for SM but ran out of time, so its mostly already done by the time SM released.
ah who am i kidding its probably #4
>>
>>33325615
>Look what 3D Land uses as model and it still looks awesome one 3DS.

You can fucking see the edges and Mario is zoomed out when you're playing the game. That example is awful.

>Even Yokai Watch manages to look better and smooth than SM.
The models in Yokai Watch don't look as good.
>>
>>33324736
Weren't there already low poly models that just needed proper rigging and textures tho
>>
Alright, just checked it. Battle model on top, overworld model in middle, low-poly shadow model on bottom. They're just shadow models with no textures, but they do work with all animations. The shadow models come paired with the battle models.
>>
File: models.png (302KB, 1920x3114px) Image search: [Google]
models.png
302KB, 1920x3114px
>>33326327
>tfw you forget the image
>>
File: shadowmodel.png (267KB, 1920x2080px) Image search: [Google]
shadowmodel.png
267KB, 1920x2080px
>>33326339
Here's an example of shadow models from Brawl.
>>
>>33326137
the fact that pokefinder loads the high poly model with unique animations, rockruff runs and walks in its pokefinder spot

Here's a comparison between Jangmo-o in Sun/Moon's demo and its datamined walking animation

https://youtu.be/ABPd7vwocuY?t=5m31s
https://youtu.be/NxWCIP89STY?t=21m13s

Apologies in advance for shit commentator audio.
>>
>>33326217
Yeahhhhh that still doesn't give any reason for walking animations

>>33326358
This is a more sound argument for the walking and running than anything.
>>
>>33324736
>Following Pokemon aren't likely
Delete this.
>>
File: 1484763315332.png (84KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
1484763315332.png
84KB, 440x440px
>>33324736
I literally would be fine if they just let your start be the only pokemon that could follow you. At this point that would be enough. This is how much gamefreak has broken my spirit.
>>
>>33326327
>>33326339
>>33326355
Thanks for investigating. Your explanation seems like the most probable reason behind the low poly models. Especially because the battles in the game do not seem to use dynamic lighting that would negate the need to have shadow models. I feel my OP post still stands true with this knowledge.

If following Pokemon were to happen, it would require Game Freak to create the whole Pokedex in the same way done with your middle image, which is unlikely. But, it's possible that they could use the already created models like Pikachu, Tauros, etc. and expand that roster with a few new ones like the Alolan Exeggutor and Vulpix as seen in the trailer. It would give players at least a bit of choice in following Pokemon, though not all.

Do you know if the middle model is compatible with the animations used by the shadow model and the high poly model?
>>
>>33326545
Yes, overworld models are mostly compatible with the battle model animations, at least with my testing with Tapu Koko. However, if the overworld model doesn't have necessary parts, those parts won't animate. For example, Tapu Koko's beak doesn't open at all for the overworld model.
>>
>>33326583
Neat. That makes sense, considering the skeleton used for the overworld model likely has a simplified skeleton, and wouldn't contain that fine detail.

I imagine Game Freak will be using the same walking animations seen in the datamine on these overworld models. It's really just a matter of how many overworld models they decide to make, and if they want to implement following Pokemon as a reintroduced mechanic. I honestly think it will be limited to an AI Rockruff (and perhaps a couple other Pokemon) that is placed in the overworld for the player to interact with for fun. What do you think?
>>
maybe following pokemon will be in theswitch version?
>>
>>33324736

Following Pokémon is very clearly going to be in the Switch game

Or better yet a specific area in USUM where you can choose a single Pokémon to follow you
>>
>>33326223
You're a big bunch of polygons
>>
>>33324736
fuck, there goes my hopes. GF really needs to get their act together.
>>
>>33326400
I feel like starters and maybe a selct few like eevee and its eeveelutions and rockruff
>>
Good hope they focus on game play
>>
>>33324736
I'll be satisfied if there's a small roster.
>>
>>33325186
He's literally right though. The shadows use lower-poly models
You can see it really easily with Chandelure
>>
>>33324736
>Game Freak created low poly versions of some Pokemon and trainers

Wrong, every single pokemon has a low-poly version, even mega forms. I haven't checked if they were rigged, though. Anyway if they are (and there's a good chance they are rigged), transferring animations isn't that hard. You've probably seen the thread with that anon who played the Olivia battle intro animation with characters and pokemons, and sometimes the result wasn't that bad. That's because the skeleton hierarchy was similar to the original model. As long as the hierarchy is similar enough, and the low-poly model still shows enough features (or just put some dummy bones), transposing the animations may not be that fat fetched.

But it's true that the animations aren't linked to the low poly model, but again, it's very probable that this idea was scrapped during development due to time constraints.

>>33324750
1 is physically impossible.
2 and 3 are the most probable.
>>
Dude, you can literally lower the amount of polygons on a model with a fucking slider. How stupid are you? And remapping walking animations is so easy that /vp/ has already done it to every mon and npc.
>>
>>33331220
The shadows use the high poly models
Celesteela's low poly model isn't rigged at all and hardly functions for all animations
If they used the low poly, they would've been fucked at every level
>>
>>33332992
That's probably why they where scrapped at the last minute, they weren't fully done. They've had a year to smooth this out.
>>
/v/ 3d
>>
>>33332020
Take a look at the posts this anon made
>>33326339
>>33326355
There are two types of low poly models used in the game. The bottom, untextured model is the model used to create shadows under your Pokemon during battle, because there is no dynamic lighting. The middle model is the low poly version used on the overwold. While it is true every Pokemon has a low poly shadow model, that is obviously not the same as the low poly overworld model. And very few Pokemon have this overworld model.

If Game Freak could use the low poly shadow models as the over world models, they surely would have done that from the start. No, it's very clear that the shadow rigged models you have heard about will not be used as overworld models and this is proven by the fact there is an overworld model in the first place.

If we are to see walking Pokemon in USM we must expect Game Freak to create these low poly models for all Pokémon. It's not entirely impossible but unlikely in my opinion.
>>
>>33332948
Your first statement is correct. However, using the slider won't always give the results you want. With a different polycount, animations set for that model become messed up.
>>
We /3DVP/ now?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.