[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the first couple of seasons of the anime seem so over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

File: pokemon s1.png (356KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon s1.png
356KB, 640x480px
Why do the first couple of seasons of the anime seem so over the top and almost surreal compared to the seasons that followed? Was it the popularity? Playing it safe for an international audience?
>>
>>33300965
Takeshi Shudo
>>
>>33300965
The anime was originally planned to end with Kanto. So they just did anything they wanted because they didn't expect the show to be such a huge hit or go on forever.

You can tell the moment Johto started they knew the anime would go on for years, so the plots and fillers got noticeable blander, etc.
>>
It gen 1 didn't have a formula to follow.
>>
>>33300965
LOOK AT ANY LONG RUNNING ANIME BASED ON A GAME. tHAT'S HOW IT WORKS.

cant bother retype that with caps lock off

anyways, loom at learlyt Yugioh before the rules were more defined
>>
>>33300965
Early episodes were very experimental because they didn't know how things would turn out.

Its why many episodes like the Sabrina battle, giant Dragonite and pic related were so stand out.

And its why I prefer the first season, and see myself going back to those the most.
>>
File: 1493142578358.png (576KB, 789x580px) Image search: [Google]
1493142578358.png
576KB, 789x580px
>>33300965
Wouldn't say first couple of seasons. Just the first one and that's because they thought the series wouldn't last and tried everything. Find it weird the dub skipped this episode and yet this was fine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-upluVI81jA
4kids censorship is so weird.
>>
>>33301015
This. I mean, look up the episodes he wrote, and you'll notice that they had a noticeably different tone/message/feel to them when compared to the others.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Episodes_written_by_Takeshi_Shud%C5%8D
>>
The reason the anime goes downhill in early Johto is because the business execs told Shudo he couldn't do whatever he wanted with the anime once Pokemon became a huge success and global phenomenon .This of course eventually led to Shudo quitting the show.

Probably one of the few good things we got out of Shudo after that is he made the decision to remove Misty from the series. I can't imagine how different the anime would have been if Misty had actually continued into Hoenn. What would they have done with May then? Not introduce her? Have her be a rival? What about the Contests? When DP started would Misty leave then and would Dawn come?

Really makes you wonder.
>>
I think the problem is unfocused filler. When the show lacks direction, it's boring.

I mean, look at something like, say, Tentacool and Tentacruel. Total filler. But it's funny, it's got great action, even a good message. There isn't a single filler episode I wouldn't recommend at least one watch in season one. Then look at season two- the ENTIRE THING is filler and yet it's brimming with imagination as they were forced to find new ways to present 150 Pokémon we'd already seen. We get off-the-wall, mental, brilliant shit like Pinkan Island, imaginative Gym battles, great characters of the day. It's great.

The worst seasons (4 and the arse-end of Unova) came about due to outside influences requiring enormous rewrites. When Ash and at least one of his friends have clear, defined goals the show is great. Look at how shit season 4 is without the planned Celebi arc. Then look at how good season 5 is and all the contest episodes in Hoenn. Hell, Battle Frontier was literally Kanto again but it was fun because they give you cool battles and contests.

The filler used to be funny, action-packed and full of character development. Now it's just "Oh look, a new Pokémon"
>>
>>33303681
>I mean, look at something like, say, Tentacool and Tentacruel. Total filler.

Well technically it isn't, Misty captures Horsea in that episode. Heh, even if she barely ever used it after.
>>
I always assumed they wanted the movies to be able to stand out more, and when you got crazy shit like giant gengar and giant alakazam fighting over tribal tats in the main show, it's hard to really make the movie seem like something special in comparison. So now the show has to stay pretty tame and close to the games while the movies do all the crazy stuff.
>>
>>33303704
Oh, wow, you're right! Totally forgot about Horsea! Mind, so did the writers...
>>
Personally, I think I'd rather have two seasons of whatever region and then a third with Ash doing whatever, like the Orange Islands, to keep it fresh and imaginative. And to get him through regions quicker, come to that. He's taken fucking forever to get through tiny ass Alola.
>>
>>33303736
Well the writers never had a clue what to do with Misty or Brock's pokemon in the OS. They just focused on Psyduck for comic relief and the rest of Misty's pokemon either barely did anything or just appeared for Team Rocket blast-offs.

The fact that Misty and Brock barely battled in the show to begin with means you were never going to see their pokemon do much anyway.
>>
>>33304068
They shot themselves in the foot with Misty by lumbering her with Togepi. She didn't do Jack squat until the Whirl Islands after that point. I liked her in Chronicles because it actually gave her something to do and let us see what a Gym Leader might get up to.

Brock though, jeez, what the fuck was the point? I know they needed a character present to cook and clean to make that logic flow but other than that he basically served no purpose and the pretty girl bit got incredibly old. Well and truly outstayed his welcome, should have left before Sinnoh.
>>
>>33304084
A couple of years ago I marathoned through all of Kanto/Orange/Johto and I noticed how Brock literally never won a battle outside of some TR blast-offs after he joined Ash's group. Like he never won a single battle. In fact I'm pretty sure Brock loses nearly all his battles in AG as well for that matter, I don't think we saw him win anything till he got his Croagunk in DP.

Misty's problem was staying after Orange Islands. If the writers did what they do now, she would have been replaced with a new character at the start of Johto. It's pretty obvious Misty was only in Johto as a placeholder because there weren't any girls from the games to replace her with yet.
>>
File: 1458604935066.jpg (45KB, 367x419px) Image search: [Google]
1458604935066.jpg
45KB, 367x419px
>>33304114
I wonder if Casey wasn't based on the scrapped Gold/Silver female protagonist, since she looks so much like Kris and had the whole 'new trainer' from local region thing May and Dawn would have going. Had she actually been in the games then might she have replaced Misty? Probably not because Togepi, but still, she looks too much like Crystal for me not to believe that the designs are in some way linked.
>>
>>33300965
Digital animation is pretty sucky. That, and modern writers being babbies
>>
It is beyond me how you can watch an episode (leaving nostalgia bullshti aside) when you are above 18.
>>
>>33301756
>ANIME BASED ON A GAME
>yugioh
>>
>>33300965
Takeshi Shudo as the writer and it had a good audience, aka 90s kids.
>>
The whole S.S. Anne arc was so great. I remember how hype I was when the Pokemon got subtitles are really showed their personalities.
>>
>>33304955
Its actually pretty funny during the episodes prior to Togepi. Some of it is nostalgia, but in general Ash, Misty, and Brock were all shitters which is funny to watch.

After togepi though misty becomes boring and Brock's shtick gets old when they got lazy with how he got shot down.
>>
>>33300965
OS is terrible, you probably didn't watch more than 2 episodes of DP or XY if you think that.
>>
>>33306086
Kek, I hope this is joking.

Kanto still holds up as a great and fun series to this day due to the comical nature and plots we never really god again. And Orange Islands was a decent filler arc with some nice changes.
>>
Anime Sabrina makes my dick rock fucking hard
>>
>>33300965
I hated the anime as a kid because everything was "this doesn't look like it'd make sense in the game", specially the gym fights, the biggest offense. I guess it was to save budget since actual fights costed.
>>
>>33301015
fpbp
>>
File: Game_Freak_Whitney_Ethan.jpg (53KB, 300x403px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Freak_Whitney_Ethan.jpg
53KB, 300x403px
>>33304114
>because there weren't any girls
There was, though. Whitney could have easily slotted in as the Misty for Johto..
>>
>>33304128
If she was, its a shame. She's far cuter than Kris ever was.

>inb4 Krisfag
>>
>>33306086
the thread is about why the old episodes were the way they were, not if you prefer a more recent series.
>>
>>33300965
They genuinely didn't know how to pad out the bare bones game content into a fun cartoon.
>>
>>33306086
>DP or XY if you think that.

kek, go back to self inserting as Ash, you autistic faggot.
>>
>>33306076
I feel like that specific grouping is the only one that had really good chemistry/dynamic desu, most of the nu-Ash companions are just there to suck his dick
>>
I just wish they changed protagonists each gen at least. You can only have so much Ash shit until it gets boring regardless of what happens. At least new protagonists open a path for possible different character dynamic, a new story other than I'M FROM KANTO I'M BE THE POKEMON MASTER, and maybe something that strays from the usual "always travelling by the harem at all times" cookie cutter premise
We're not ever getting any of that though so whatever
>>
>>33307512
>We're not ever getting any of that though so whatever

Adventures
>>
File: 1426929347660.jpg (493KB, 1265x1422px) Image search: [Google]
1426929347660.jpg
493KB, 1265x1422px
>>33300965
Because in later seasons, surreal stories were replaced with surreal colors
>>
File: __Af.jpg (136KB, 565x657px) Image search: [Google]
__Af.jpg
136KB, 565x657px
>>33307841
>>
File: 205Fssdfsd.jpg (205KB, 502x1111px) Image search: [Google]
205Fssdfsd.jpg
205KB, 502x1111px
>>33307849
>>
>>33307854
>>
>>33307854
JUST
>>
>>33305134
A card game is still a game
>>
>>33307869
The Yu-gi-oh anime isn't based on the card game though.
>>
>>33307512
Yeah, it blows my mind people constantly whine about Misty or Brock returning in other places or want TR/Ash still around. We've sat through these characters for hundreds of episodes, they've been completely run into the ground.
>>
>>33307889
you're... dueling using cards?
>>
>>33306086
>DP or XY
holy shit are you kidding
>>
>>33306086
XY was boring season.
>>
File: RRGpUjDYVDk.jpg (50KB, 700x538px) Image search: [Google]
RRGpUjDYVDk.jpg
50KB, 700x538px
>>33301044
They should have had the protag of each anime generation the protag of that generations game. With each of them having unique personalities it would have kept the anime interesting and fresh. They could have even revisited old protags and incorporate aging and older protags getting older.

Instead we are stuck with a forever 10 year old Ash who will never change or grow as a character. What a fucking waste.
>>
>>33311640
Yugioh had nothing to do with cards originally bud. It was very jojo inspired with bullshit asspulls like someguy pointing a gun at yugi and something leading to that guy getting set on fire because of a trap he set.
>>
>>33311759
not as marketable. you get to see adult red and blue in the games and ash has a mustache now
>>
>>33311821
Meanwhile Duel Monsters series is based almost entirely on the cardgame.
Which is a shame, I liked original plot more
>>
>>33307869
>he doesn't know
>>
>>33307417
This.
Misty brought out a side of Ash that rarely surfaces anymore. Croagunk was based in battle but poison jab had nothing on Misty.
>>
>>33308354
I'd like it. But that's because nostalgia. I do think the Ash Misty Brock group was the best group, but at this point we need to simply kill the Ashman.
>>
>>33314792
>>33307417
That's not true at all. May and Dawn had regular arguments and bickering moments with Ash.

I have no idea why people forget this. May and Dawn never constantly agreed with everything Ash did like Serena, we have huge episodes where they fought with Ash like those tag battle eps, or in regular fillers.
>>
>>33300965
Agreed. There was a sense of adventure and especially of discovery that was in that original series that barely ever happens now. As many new Pokemon as they make, they've never managed to reclaim it - I feel like it disappeared around late Johto early Hoenn. This is probably also a reason why so many people long for Misty and Brock - they're not actually looking for them, they're looking for what came with them, a sense of mystery and weight that isn't as forced as "IM GONNA TAKE OVER THE WORLD" or "TIME TO GENOCIDE KALOS." Smaller stories, stories like Tower of Terror, anything involving Lapras directly, the existence of psychic abilities in humans and what Pokemon could do, that episode in Johto where that centuries old Ninetales wanted Brock to stay with it, Pokemopolis, all that - that's what's missing in later series and usually gets relegated to MUH RUINS and MUH LEGENDARY POKEMON now. The Pokemon themselves hardly ever carry any real threat nowadays, but then look at the Squirtle Squad. They had a whole town pointing literal guns at them. The power plant episode, the music and color used there set a brilliantly bleak tone for that city. Unrelated but It was even somewhat present in the games. Tell me hearing the Unown broadcast in the ruins the first time didn't give you chills as a kid. There was a real present sense of danger that wasn't comedic pink plush bears HIIIIIIIIIIIIII-ing into the camera. It was more believable danger, more tangible adventure. That's what's missing, and few episodes have been able to reclaim it.
>>
>>33314932
>Agreed. There was a sense of adventure and especially of discovery that was in that original series that barely ever happens now. As many new Pokemon as they make, they've never managed to reclaim it - I feel like it disappeared around late Johto early Hoenn

You're being very generous. Kanto's style of darkness disappeared the moment Orange Islands began, and Shudo's direction stopped early into the Johto arc. Many early Johto fillers are just as bland and generic as any later fillers.
>>
>>33314967
True. Off the top of my head, Scizor felt like a more recent filler. So did Hitmontop.
...Those two were set in places so similar sometimes I question whether they were the same dojo.
>>
>>33315017
Johto's fillers started as early as the 4th Johto episode, the one with the Donphan heard. It was a pretty generic episode and basically set the stage for most of the arc that followed.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.