[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was 3d pokemon a mistake? Gamefreak has been blundering ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

File: 2d-vs-3d.jpg (67KB, 908x600px) Image search: [Google]
2d-vs-3d.jpg
67KB, 908x600px
Was 3d pokemon a mistake? Gamefreak has been blundering ever since making the switch.

>Had to create over 700 new models for XY so they neglected everything else
>Forced them to take a year off after ORAS only to rush out SuMo
>Pokemon models are static and lifeless
>Bombarding you with cutscenes and camera angles as if they are trying to show off the 240p quality world.

I don't know, it seemed like they had just perfected the 2.5d style in B2W2, so we'd be seeing far better games if they continued that trend.
>>
>>33300552
The models will look way better on the switch. And sprites are too outdated. Gamefreak even said that models give pokemon more life. Notice how the sm pokémon have alot of personalitynin their models?
>>
>>33300644
>Notice how the sm pokémon have alot of personalitynin their models?
Here's your (you)
>>
I doubt that Game Freak will ever give the old Pokemon better animations.
>>
File: 1492126707630.png (404KB, 796x522px) Image search: [Google]
1492126707630.png
404KB, 796x522px
should've just kept sprites for at least 2 more gens
>>
File: tumblr_oejctiVzfZ1ttdkobo1_400.gif (2MB, 371x224px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oejctiVzfZ1ttdkobo1_400.gif
2MB, 371x224px
>>33300648
>>
>>33300667
it's a cat acting like a cat. Here's another (you).
>>
>>33300648
>saying "here's your you" to fish for yous
>>
>>33300673
With sprites pokemon dont even move to attack and with the bw sprites they look like retards. Sprites are lifeless compared to 3d
>>
The problem isn't the models themselves. Or the biggest problem, rather.
The problem is gamefreak being too fucking lazy to change models from previous generations every now and then to perfect them. So many Pokemon look like garbage because of colors, posing, shitty animations or awkward anatomy yet Gamefreak can't get off their asses to fix them (sans glameow of all fucking things). XY is excusable. SM is not.
>>
File: 1502671150158.jpg (8KB, 226x223px) Image search: [Google]
1502671150158.jpg
8KB, 226x223px
>>33300648
And here's yours.
>>
The problem is that they had to do 600+ models in a short amount of time. Now we're stuck with the same lifeless models until like Gen 10 or 11.
>>
>>33300552
The models are good, but the animations are worse than the pokemon stadium games. Coliseum animations are where it's at. The problem is that the 3DS is insanely limited because of how old it is.
>>
>>33300655
im lost, what game is this? i want to play it now. NOW
>>
>>33300867
>I don't know the difference between models and animations
>>
>>33301130
I think it's sage?
>>
Nah, it's the puny brains of 99% of the adult Pokemon fanbase that are wrong.
>>
>Main Pokèmon games went 3D with X&Y
>Since then, the VGC community of our contry is fucking shit, toxic and egocentric as fuck.

Oh yeah, it was a fucking mistake.
>>
File: vivace final.png (270KB, 1007x880px) Image search: [Google]
vivace final.png
270KB, 1007x880px
>>33301523
>>33301130
that's not sage, that's Pokemon garnet, I don't think it's still being worked on but I might be wrong

Sage is pic related and http://capx.wikia.com/wiki/CAPX_Wiki
>>
File: disnigga.jpg (66KB, 808x538px) Image search: [Google]
disnigga.jpg
66KB, 808x538px
>>33300552

I think if we give them some time, they'll figure it out. Some of the models did look a little soulless imo, but I think that's just because some of the previous gens designs were kind of lifeless themselves. I dunno. I don't play the game to nitpick about battle sprites/models.
>>
>>33300552
>Pokemon models are static and lifeless
WRONG
>>
>>33300552
Fuck no, 3D is great. It opens up all kinds of immersive options that would have been undoable or shitty-looking with sprites and it also results in assets that are more easily re-used in future games.

The "mistakes" you're listing aren't because of 3D, it's because they sucked shit at executing it; 3D and a few extra shitty animations to patch things up being all they fucking did. It's still the same old 2D game in every other respect with even less content than previous iterations, being played on shitty hardware that makes it look like total ass
>>
Nothing about 3D graphics necessitates washed out colors and bland poses.
>>
>>33302584
my god this is wonderful
>>
>>33300552
>>Pokemon models are static and lifeless
Just like the sprites, then? Nothing changed.
>>
>>33300699
Oh yeah because a cat moving its head up and opening its mouth is totally impossible to do in a 2D format.
Also,
>I didn't like it, therefore it was shit
Gotta love the 4chan way of arguing.
>>
>>33303937
>Oh yeah because a cat moving its head up and opening its mouth is totally impossible to do in a 2D format.
Now I wish that the textured mouths were actual polygons.
>>
>>33303937
>>I didn't like it, therefore it was shit
This is this whole thread, you know.
>>
>>33300552
The 3D transition ruined a lot of preexisting mons, yeah. They havent made much of an effort to fix that, here's to hoping they do some tweaks for Pokemon Switch
>>
>>33302584
Bottom right is Phoenix Rising, though
>>
Gen 6 and 7 pokemon have good models with a lot of animation and personality, they probably put more effort into them than the others gen pokemon
>>
>>33303935
Sprites clearly shows more character and life, just compare hippowdon's rad sprite animation to it's shitty lame model.
>>
>>33300552
>SuMo
>B2W2
Not surprising coming from someone making such a retarded thread
>>
File: meowth.gif (43KB, 48x65px) Image search: [Google]
meowth.gif
43KB, 48x65px
The switch to 3D was a necessity, but here's the way I see it:

The sprites were fantastic most of the time because of the dynamic poses many of the pokémon were drawn in. You use your imagination all the way until the animated sprites in Gen 5, where even then the aren't limited by the boundaries of 3D space. So they can make these wacky dynamic poses and animations. However, as screen resolutions became higher, sprites quickly became obsolete. Pixel art is, after all, just low res illustration. At some point you need to wonder how big to make the sprites for the high resolution screen, and it becomes obvious sprite work isn't going to cut it anymore, unless you want outdated graphics and/or poor animation flexibility.

The switch to 3D was obviously necessary, but the most glaring difference in quality is the lack of dynamic poses among the pokémon. This is due in part largely by the restrictions of a 3D world. Take Meowth's sprites for example. You can't just have a Pokémon standing on one foot as if it were jumping at you anymore. It's just not gonna look right. What needed to be done was dynamic animation to pick up the slack the dynamic poses left behind. You can have that "jumping sprite" pose if you actually have that Pokémon's idle animation perform some jumping. Instead we have Meowth with two feet planted firmly on the ground arms to each side, looking in one direction. That's the bulk of the problem. There are SO MANY pokémon just standing around in battle. The low saturation doesn't do anything good for the boring animation.
>>
>>33304259
Comparing idle animations is dumb because the regular 3D models aren't on camera most of the time, they have things like attack animations which show way more personality than sprites
>>
>>33304283
Also, some of the models are great, but there are a great deal of them they are poorly proportioned in contrast to their sprites. Sewaddle is a great example. Look at those sprites and tell me the modeler shaped that head right. And what the fuck was the animator thinking that made him stare at the ground? Also, note how the damn thing is ON ALL SIX LEGS. What the hell? For real? The reference material doesn't even do anything interesting besides having its two front legs in the air, and this is the one time something like that actually works, because it has six fuckin' legs.

I'd say there are a handful of models that need to be built from scratch again, and a handful of animations that DON'T need to be built from scratch again.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.