[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do you think pokemon changed it's tone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 13

File: redn.jpg (35KB, 549x484px) Image search: [Google]
redn.jpg
35KB, 549x484px
in the early era, it looked more mysterious and darker. Not sure if it was just because i was younger, or it was because the world wasn't fleshed out enough, but the tone of the games, especially between the RBG and DPP era, feels quite different.
>>
>>33294192
>because i was younger
>was because the world wasn't fleshed out enough
there you go sport
>>
Yes, but you clearly don't understand it, as you have too vague of a period.
>>
>>33294192
Gameboy games tended to have a less happy and upbeat aesthetic thanks to the lack of colour and restriction of technology.
>>
File: rrmmaq.jpg (76KB, 1024x649px) Image search: [Google]
rrmmaq.jpg
76KB, 1024x649px
Actually OP is right
The artwork changed around late gen3 era.
Just compare how the characters were in their originals games and how they look in the remakes.
>>
>>33294266
Ethan isn't Gold though.
>>
File: eyessugi.png (125KB, 751x263px) Image search: [Google]
eyessugi.png
125KB, 751x263px
>>33294192
>do you think pokemon changed it's tone?

Yes.

Before: Spiky ambiguous creatures with mean expressions
Now: Round, colorful, cutesy cartoon animals that can easily be made into toys
>>
>>33294266
jesus the writing in this is pure cringe
>>
>>33294266
All anime changed like that though. Everything got smoother and curvier as time went on.
Even the pokemon have lost all detail and are down to simple shapes and smooth curves.
>>
File: 1472186365836.png (285KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472186365836.png
285KB, 900x800px
>>
>>33294192
The games changed significantly after Gold and Silver to become more plot- and character-driven and less open and exploratory (and I think this gutted the RPG elements of the series). Now, odd mysteries are spelled out or made into spectacle, and every game tasks you with saving the world and defeating some group of lunatics that, for one reason or another, want to kill everybody. Previously, you mostly stumbled across mysteries which weren't necessarily central to the plot of the games, and you sort of incidentally toppled gangs of criminals while bumbling through a personal (and fairly solitary) quest to become a master trainer.

I'm sure the limited graphics also added to the mystery.
>>
>>33294277
Yes, He is.
you idiot.
>>
>>33294192
Yes, Pokémon has changed over the years.

Graphic-wise.
>>
>>33294192
They are. RBY and GSC had far less emphasis on story and far more on exploration, couple that with limited technology like some anons said and the atmosphere certainly felt more unknown and uncertain.

I won't say that Pokemon no longer has any maturity or 'darker' things in it, since SM especially has a lot of creepy undertones and juggles themes like abuse, neglect and abandonment.
>>
It's progressed with how the world did

Compared to 90s. We live in more progressive. Feminien world
>>
>>33294386
lol i bet you think kris and lyra are the same to
>>
>>33294347
This
>>
>>33294192
The world has changed

Video games have changed
>>
>>33294435
But war...war never changes.
>>
It's because of the story in gen 1, you're just a kid roaming around catching monsters. Its not dark but it's not sunshine and rainbows either and there's no one stopping you constantly to spout exposition.
Then there's the technology in the story, everything is at the brink of some big break through, (mew and mewtwo, the masterball is a prototype, the silph co and the fossil restoration) like between late 90s computers to something out of the movies. Compare this to the later gens where there's a bigger emphasis on mythology.
Then there's also the fact that gen 1 came out on the gameboy and your imagination fills in the blanks.
>>
>>33294409
I think the later the series went the more fantastical the world became. In Gen 1 and little of gen 2, it felt more grounded and the pokemon seemed much more mysterious and less integrated in society. Whereas now, the world feels more inclusive and open. Its alot more like a jrpg with an established lore and rules. Feels like they've been taking more cues from the anime as time went on.
>>
>>33294294
didn't somebody post a thread about that the other day
>>
>>33294430

No.
>>
File: kill.png (7KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
kill.png
7KB, 240x160px
>>33294409

False.
>>
File: Pokédex_quest.png (8KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Pokédex_quest.png
8KB, 240x160px
>>33294459

No. It's about Red and Blue Oak completing the Pokédex.
>>
>>33294299
welcome to ten years ago...*sobs*
>>
>>33294347
2010s anime looks cuter. 90s anime has always looked weird to me, desu.
>>
>>33294795
Yeah, thats what I said, I just generalised it
>>
>>33294347
But what does 2000s anime look like?
>>
>>33294192
It looked darker because the gameboy wasn't backlit
>>
>>33294866
2010s anime is desu kawaii weeb shit
90s anime is almost a totally different thing
>>
>>33294294
jesus christ, this is all it took for me to say the newer gens are shit, good god how can something so small make your mons look like utter pussies.
>>
>>33295234
>weeb
what does this even mean anymore
>>
File: 180px-JigglypuffArtworkRG.png (48KB, 180x198px) Image search: [Google]
180px-JigglypuffArtworkRG.png
48KB, 180x198px
>>33294294
>Now: Round, colorful, cutesy cartoon animals that can easily be made into toys
Those still existed from day one.
>>
>>33295302
Nobody is denying that they existed before you faggot. The argument is that they exist MORE now and are the majority of designs.
>>
>>33294192
It definitely was.
I think Gen 4 struck the best balance between the mysterious and saccharine Pokemon world styles.
>>
>>33294294
You have to remember that gen 1 was made at a time when they didn't even know this shit would stick, and Masuda even said that they went for more generic looking monster templates because of the limited hardware. It's why we see far more variety in designs. I'm actually fine with most pokemon designs now, it's the general development philosophy at gf that's gotten worse.
>>
>>33294192
One thing I noticed in particular going back to the older games is that no one really treated you special. You were just some random trainer out on an adventure like many others, and the games reflected that. No one treated you like were some amazing trainer until you reached the end of the game, and even then, the praise you got was minimal.

Now you have a group of friends around you stopping you every five minutes or so to tell you how you're the bestest trainer in the whole wide world and how special your are for just being able to win a couple of battles.

In regards to overall tone, the earlier games were way more neutral in tone (if I were to compare, I'd say it's more like Earthbound or Dragon Quest in atmosphere), whereas the newer titles are way more cheerful and happy despite GF trying (and failing miserably) to include darker elements in the story. I'd say Gen 1, 2, and arguably part of Gen 3 were a lot more "grounded" in tone, for lack of a better term.
>>
>>33294192
Feminization of society
>>
>>33294294
Remember when everyone complained that the mons in gen V looked way to edgy, spiky and mean?
Literally the hardest fanbase to impress
>>
>>33294294
Why do idiots like you never take the time context into account, the first games were made in the 90's and the aesthetic was Toriyama blocky, angry characters, if Pokémon hadn't change according to new trends and aesthetics it would be considered passé and seen as a 90's relic, also
>wanting everything with angry eyes just for nostalgia
Fuck off
>>
>>33294336
>Pokémon Designs in Gen5 are too complex
>Pokémon have lost all detail
>>
>>33295326
thats why I Love Gen 4 and why Im a proud Sinnohfetus.
>>
>>33295604
Ironically, both of these are true (though the designs really started getting shit up around gen 3). Pokémon now have far more bizarre, and geometrically-simple pasted-on details, colours, and patterns, and far less natural detail (like musculature, textured fur or feathers, etc.). They're too complex from the former perspective, but too simple considering the latter.

I like a lot of Pokémon across generations (gen 6 has some of my favourite designs), but I do think taken as a whole, the designs after the second or third generation are a bit weaker
>>
>>33294192
>girls have chipmunk smiles
>oversized bows everywhere
>everything looks like plushy
>children wearing skin tight clothes
>no baggy pants
I really dislike the new artstyle, it reflects on how pokémon lost its assholeness somewhere between gens 2 and 4
>>
>>33295302
On pokemon that clearly deserved them, not every fucking mon in the gen.
>>
>>33294347
>after version Looks lifeless, cold, vague and autistic

seems about right and contemporary. Good thing that Trump won. He'll bring Back 90s anime.
>>
>>33295456
This, I liked when blue would show up just to make fun of me. I hate this bullshit friendship power happy hour crap. I know I'm strong, I dont need you or the whole region riding my dick about it, fuck off.
>>
>>33295463
xD
>>
>>33295646
>assholeness

learn2vocabulary

viciousness would be good alternative to use.
>>
>>33295516
I kinda wish it did so we wouldnt be dealing with these horseshit games today.
>>
>>33295674
in all honesty though, be glad there even are pkmn games.

the modern 3D workload on a small Team is the problem. Pokémon would already be a AAA Production in the West with several years of development if it was a western game.
>>
>>33295456
Now you aren't wrong about them stopping you constantly but you don't get praised for being a good train until you get some experience under you belt
>>
>>33294192
>games were darker
Of course it was. the gameboy couldn't render colour.
>>
>>33295701
Sounds like they need to get their fucking heads in the game then, could you imagine how fucking one point these games would be if they were worked on the west?
>>
>>33294192
I might publish an academic analysis of this at some point.

Pokemon's first generation was able to be a little bit political, which contributed to its characters being so memorable. After a few generations it had an established formula, fans with high expectations and a regular cycle of money-making, so it is understandable that the developers try not to rock the boat on a good thing too much.

Here's some points:
>Kanto is based on Kanto; not only being the only region that shares its real life name it's also pretty scathing commentary - ever notice gen 1 has the vast, vast majority of Poison types?
>Mewtwo was originally going to be a sheep based on Dolly the sheep which was a highly controversial hot topic back in the 90s.
>Gambling corners are a reference to the ubiquity of Pachinko parlours and other gambling establishments rife in Japanese society.
>OG Pokemon were based more on yokai and weird, interesting concepts (e.g. Lickitung, Golduck, Jynx) and resembled western "disgusting" Monster in my Pocket style characters instead of the more friendly animal analogues they do today. In addition, real life animals were originally extant in the Pokemon world and Pokemon were more like genies or stands - rare phenomena like ghosts, or at least restricted to certain areas where normal people don't go.
>I've actually been to Tokyo (RBY) and Kyoto (GSC) (I mean I've been to Paris as well) and it's interesting to see what architecture and geography they take from the real world and rearrange to make a little caricature in-game. Having a "journey" in central Japan is a joke of an idea because there's fucking roads and cars everywhere; clearly Pokemon was originally set in a more "wild" era or a different time. It was never meant to have planes that magically take Ash to the next level.
>>
There's definitely been a tone shift. Like others have said, a lot of it has to do with hardware limitations (don't forget that the Game Boy had been out for the better part of a decade when Pokémon was released), but it's also something that happens organically to long runners. First the inconsistencies are addressed, things are retconned, then with the introduction of new characters comes new lore that has to fit in with the original, and so bit by bit, the world gets expanded on, and the series develops (and redevelops) its own identity. Not to mention the influences of its era.

I have no doubt that some changes have been conscious decisions, but a big part of it just sort of happens over time. I would say that Pokémon as a whole leans a bit towards the idealistic side at this point, but it isn't exactly afraid of exploring darker themes, either. The world has gotten a lot more complex compared to the relatively one-note disposition of RBY.

>>33294294
>>33295302

I'd argue that gen 2 already put that "trend" on the map. A lot of Johto Pokémon have different eyes and are just more colorful in general compared to the majority of the original 151. A great way to tell are some of the evolutions for Kanto Pokémon.

Basically, the variations have been there from the beginning, and if Pokémon was ever going to expand beyond its intended run, it was always going to reflect that. Personally, I say the more variety we have, the better.
>>
>>33295817
>it just sort of happens over time.
This guy has it right.
Even if Ken Sugimori himself had continued making every single piece of Pokemon art, artist's styles change over time. They improve in technique and proportion. It's probably hard to understand for those who don't actively produce art, but if it's any consolation, he can draw in his "classic style" at will - you never lose that ability. It probably just shows they want his more modern looking digital work because watercolour is not in vogue in modern society.

> A lot of Johto Pokémon have different eyes and are just more colorful in general compared to the majority of the original 151.
Gamefreak originally designed 250+ Pokemon and had to narrow them down to 150 for the cartridge size of RBY, so I'm skeptical that there is a definite second group as early as GSC. Gen 3 I would definitely argue, but we know they even had the code for some GSC Pokemon before RBY was published. It's also why there are so many evolutions for Kanto Pokemon in Johto.
>>
>>33294779
Retard, did you even read what he said?
>>
>>33295783
it is certainly exciting to think about.
then again, the west would ruin a franchise like that but for other reasons, reasons of authenticity.
>>
>>33295783
>>33295701
You two are seriously deluded if you think Pokémon would be anything resembling the franchise if it were to be developed by some company from the west
>>
>>33295888
Nah you fucking think genius? But I bet a western company can blow dog shit like sun and moon out the water. I dont give a royal fuck if they change the game, atleast it'll be a new fresh face instead of the fueling the digging of the retarded hole GF put themselves in.
>>
>>33295843
Yeah, that's another thing. The medium affects an artist's work more than people might think. Sure, you can maintain a consistent style at will, but different things work in different media, so no matter what, it won't look exactly the same. Just compare older Pokémon's updated art to the original watercolors, and you'll see that there's a different feel to them.

You're also right about Johto Pokémon, I totally forgot to consider that. The first two generations are definitely much more of a singular unit than the rest. But by the time Hoenn rolled around, the transition was in full effect, which I'm sure was only furthered by the tropical feel they were going for.
>>
>>33294192
I think Gen 1 was different tone-wise because back then they had not planned for pokemon to be more than a 1time fad.
>They have stated that pokemon was supposed to end after RBGY
>After seeing how popular it got, they made the previously named "pokemon 2" into GSC instead and started slowly fleshing out a general direction and theme they want for their franchise
> Pokemon was initially intended to be way darker and more mature of a series but they scrapped that and decided to pander to kids instead
And so here we are, over the years, with the evolution of hardware/tech, they have stated that gen1-2 stuff looks the way it does because the handheld allowed that much only. Now that they can make better graphics and use a more elaborate art style, they have stated that pokemon designs have become more diverse as well and that they will keep changing in the future. But as for whether pokemon was darker before than it is now..
>Gen 1 with the literal ghost haunting lavender tower and the lore behind it was quite dark
Is that anything that sets it apart from the rest? No, not really, it just felt that way because gen1-2 were cruder overall in their portrayal and dialogue, and as stated before, they had not fleshed out their overall world and theme yet. Gen 2 is still in that era
> Gen 3-7 are a steady evolution towards sunshine and rainbows in comparison ?
It might look that way because the world became more about friendship and became overall more colorful. Gotta admit, other things seem a bit hard to notice or fail to make as much of an impact as Gen1-2 due to the overarching lighter themes of the games. It's harder to feel the aura of darkness/mystery with everything else considered but still.
From gen 3 until gen 7, there have always been deeper/dark/mature themes.
>There are some random dialogues NPCs have that are pretty dark when it actually sinks in what the dialogue is describing..
> Death and some dark shit is in like every gen
>>
>>33296290
Cont.
> All the Sinnoh lore, graveyard tower, Cyrus being a literal nihilist genocider, implied getting eaten by Giratina or forever disappearing in distortion world
> Unova, abusive psychotic parent, abandoned and abused child, various NPC dialogue suggesting dark shit
> Kalos, full of dead beat parents ( Trevor's parents ditched him and his sister, Calem/Serena's dad ditched the family, you meat him in Snowbelle); Kalos train-station has some implied abduction; some other implied murder; Looker literally mentions how his pokemon was murdered somewhen between Sinnoh and Kalos; the entire Looker sidequest had an abandoned orphan beggar girl involving herself in a mature storyline with some deep themes, Lysandre a literal genocider, implied dead/forever buried under a pile of rocks, The war backstory
> ORAS follows the random dark dialogue and death pattern, abandoned ship has some feeltrip dark stuff, apartment complex in Mauville has some mature themed dialogue too
>Alola, we all know all the dark shit that had, from random sidequests to random ways to get an item to the actual plot
Overall, nothing has really changed thematically, it's just harder to notice because pokemon has become more overtly colorful and positive in comparison to the lack of color in the GB/C era
>>
>>33296317
>>33296290
>end after RGBY
I am pretty sure they always planned Johto.

It's not until RS that it was like "wait, we can make money out of this"
>>
>>33296343
Yeah, I kinda misphrased that.. I meant to say johto was planned as some fanservice sequel of pokemon named pokemon 2, but then they decided.."hey, we can actually make a milking franchise out of this, let's name these games Gold and Silver and start a region trend with pokemon!"
>>
>>33294266
They stopped ripping off Toruyama's style. Also on the Gameboy, it was harder to do round shapes
>>
>>33294192
Well to some degree.
However I feel like this is much more true for Digimon. The main reason I don't like DW:NO as much as DW1 is that the world is just so fleshed out, lacking all the mysterious atmosphere of the original.
>>
>>33296462
>they stopped ripping off Toruyama's style
see
>>33294347
>>
>>33295245
It's a buzz word used for discrediting japanese related things now.
>>
>>33295656
Do you really think that the state of japanese animation is on the top of his priorities ?
>>
>>33294294
game freak responded to this recently. they said that eyes were spikey in the games back then because it was on the gameboy and they didn't have many pixels to work with. once they started releasing on systems with higher res screens they were able to make round eyes
>>
>>33296557
best part of the autistic eye comparison meme is that they act as if every single newer gen pokemon has round non-threatening eyes. It's so hilarious that even some of the example-round eyes they used evolve into pokemon with menacing angery eyes
>>
Now the real question is if it were released today, would the Pokemon keep their Japanese names?

After all, 90s anime dubs are rather (in)famous for whitewashing character names, something you don't see as often anymore.

I'm unfamiliar with many other monster catching series, but I would think that if shit like Yokai Watch comes up with punny English names, it's definitely due to the precedent set by Pokemon.
>>
>>33296640
Fuck off weeb, japanese is a shitty languaje
>>
File: image.png (47KB, 200x203px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
47KB, 200x203px
>>33295843
I'm pretty sure the original number planned for Gen I was 190, not 250+. This is also noted by the 39 Missingno variants in Gen I being their remnants. Some were introduced later in Gen II, but some surely never saw the light of day. Some were totally redone, like splitting Proto-Suicune(pic related) into its final self and Raikou. Though we don't know what Johtomon were actually planned for Gen I or planned afterwards, but I think Ho-oh is the only one confirmed.
>>
>>33294192
>in the early era, it looked more mysterious and darker.
It really wasn't. Its a delusion crafted by teens feeling ashamed of liking a game for kids.

> the world wasn't fleshed out enough
This is what happened. If anything the "darker" (as in "closer to actually being dark even if not really coming close to it") are Gen 5 and 6.
>>
>>33294383
All that began in GSC, anon.
Did you forget that they made the whole story focusing on Team Rocket matter?
And then in Crystal you also got the Suicune stuff.
They've been slowly ramping up the plot since the very first sequels.
>>
>>33297146
I don't think it is ashamed teens, also since many younger kids played too, but rather simply the graphics of the GameBoy. Many GB games have always given me a somewhat mysterious feel. More imagination goes hand in han with that
>>
>>33294192

World wasn't fully established yet, hence the references to real-world places, animals, and other things that didn't have Pokemon-world equivalents at the time
>>
>>33294192
Pokémon used to be treated as creatures rather than friends.
You also had shit like Marowak's death, Mewtwo's diary, trainers with whips, etc.
>>
rby feels empty because pokemon was originally a one off project
>>
>>33295813
You can't be serious.

>>33296290
>They have stated that pokemon was supposed to end after RBGY
They said the goal was Gen 2 and the merch and even the ashnime were made solely to keep the franchise relevant till then.

> Pokemon was initially intended to be way darker and more mature of a series but they scrapped that and decided to pander to kids instead
false, its ok to like a game kids like anon.
>>
>>33297164
>I don't think it is ashamed teens
Its exactly that. Creepypastas and all that shit started when the people that were kids when pokemania grew up while still liking pokemon. Also, it explains why most of the shit said about the original games being dark is either vague ("it feels that way") or false("you totally kill Blue's Raticate").
No kid back then thought the games were too serious either.
>>
>>33294383
>rby
>exploration

Lol?
>>
>>33297177
It's not false anon, you can look for the source of that info and you'll find it eventually. It was intended to be a darker series that would have the anime end after season 1 in a very different way.
I don't care about liking pokemon which is a game pandered to kids, I've liked it since I was like 10 and never stopped. Never been ashamed of my peers knowing I like pokemon either
Also, if these superficial things are the only things you read from the entire post, then I guess you missed the part that states gen1-2 being darker is merely an illusion created by the overall lack of color, details and general lack of an established theme/world for pokemon back then
>>
>>33294554
yeah, but make the game more anime like is a terrible move.
>>
>>33294972
shit
>>
>>33294192
>It's another thinly veiled genwar
wew lad
>>
File: image.png (195KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
195KB, 636x358px
>>33296640
yes
>>
>>33294347
>>33294294
>>33294266
So true it hurts
>90's will never come back
Oh man..
>>
File: RS_for_GB.png (495KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
RS_for_GB.png
495KB, 600x750px
>>33297523
Just like many comeback trends, this particular drawing style could possibly come back into style in the future if some sort of nostalgia wave for it hits Japan.
>>
>>33297556
that's one ugly artstyle unless you like your females looking like crossdressing boys
>>
>>33297149
Gsc is even less plot-based than RBY tbqh.
>>
>>33297401
>It's not false anon, you can look for the source of that info and you'll find it eventually.
Retards that even after 20 years can't make up with the fact they like something for kids is not a source anon.

>I don't care about liking pokemon which is a game pandered to kids, I've liked it since I was like 10 and never stopped. Never been ashamed of my peers knowing I like pokemon either
You are, otherwise you'd embrace it instead of making shit up.

>Also, if these superficial things are the only things you read from the entire post, then I guess you missed the part that states gen1-2 being darker is merely an illusion created by the overall lack of color, details and general lack of an established theme/world for pokemon back then
I read the entire post, but the parts I didn't quote are things I either agree with (because they contradict your previous point about pokemon being intended to be darker) or disagree because your definition of dark is closer to the one 4kidz has than the actual one, but that's less important as promoting the misinformation that pokemon was intended to be darker.
>>
>>33296949
Scizor is one I know of, just due to index number
I think the johto starters have fairly early index numbers in rby, too
>>
>>33295813
it had skycrappers, ships like ss anne. Pokemon was simply meant to be a fantasy world, not straightly Tokyo, for example. Also the anime universe is quite different from the games, so Ash can't be compared to Red. Even Pallet town is completly different.
>>
>>33295813
I think satoshi himself has expressed similar thoughts about kanto
When he was growing up, Japan was sill urbanizing, and places were separated by small roads
You could explore near home in relative safety and discover lots. A few buildings and a shop you've never been to. A mysterious cave. Or, a striking insect that would be a great trophy.

Rby were created so satoshi could give children their own simple and safe world to explore in in and increasingly complicated world
>>
>>33297659
If you're referring to the index numbers of the 39 Missingno that transform into Johtomons when traded, that doesn't actually mean those were in the original 190 Kantomons. It's just what GSC reads the index numbers as, constituting of 39 Johtomon from Scizor to Lugia, with a misplaced Ho-oh.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_(Generation_I)
>>
>>33297716
I have no doubts that scizor was designed early on
After all, why would they put empty index values there at all?
>>
>>33297563
well someone could say that the current artstyle is ugly because the boys look more effeminate
>>
>>33297738
The 39 were deleted when they realized they couldn't fit 190 pokemon in Red and Green. Since they didn't reorganize the index numbers to match the NatDex like later generations, they obviously didn't go through the effort of replacing the deleted entries, which left the empty index values.
>>
>>33296317
>Calem/Serena's dad ditched the family, you meat him in Snowbelle);
you meet the npc parent or the rival parent? I don't remember this plot point
>>
>>33296640
yes, i like the western names much more. It's not white washing as pokemon is an international franchise.
>>
>>33297196
no it's not. Stop making stuff. Op never said he doesn't like the games or is ashamed, it's just how he feels and is questioning if it's because he was smaller or the tone really changed. He's not putting a quality on it. Learn how to interpret.
>>
>>33297795
You meet the rival's parent randomly in Snowbelle. (it's a random male Veteran Trainer unrelated to the plot)
They never mention the rival's name but they pretty much let you know that they're the father of your rival by talking about having a kid that recently left Vaniville.
Depending on whether you play as Calem or Serena, the NPC says either daughter or son, so it's pretty much a confirmation it's your rival's father
>>
>>33297835
>no it's not. Stop making stuff.
You can see it right here on this thread or if you've ever interacted with the pokemon fanbase before. What other explanation can you think of that fits the arguments?

>Op never said he doesn't like the games or is ashamed, it's just how he feels and is questioning if it's because he was smaller or the tone really changed.
For that to be true the tone should change. For the tone to change the tone should've been different before. For the tone to have been different before and if that were the case people could provide actual facts instead of "It felt that way" as stated on this thread. So no, the tone didn´t change, which means is a matter of perception which is one of the possibilities OP mentioned which in turn answers his question. Which is literally what I did, explaining where the perception change came from.
>>
>>33296640
Eh, more probably would, but I can't see some like the birds keeping Freezer, Thunder, or Fire.

Even Game Freak themselves seemed to learn after this, giving legendaries names which fit in most languages but weren't just English words.
>>
>>33296640
Maybe. Never thought of that before.

>>33297556
Never understood why, in this picture, Wallace was covered in "shadow." I mean, it should really be darker because with the current colors he pretty much just looks black. Regardless, the only reason Giovanni was on the original manuals was because it was covering up his role as the (previously closed) Viridian Gym Leader after knowing him as the Rocket Boss. There wasn't some big "final Gym Leader" mystery, it was all because you already knew his identity.
>>
>>33297758
I don't disagree, a middle ground is something GF should reflect on
The last time I even considered playing as the male PC was RSE
>>
>>33296557
Damn, the switch to 3D literally did ruin everything.
>>
>>33297986
>Never understood why, in this picture, Wallace was covered in "shadow."
I suppose because he's the final Gym Leader, therefore the strongest and final challenge to prove your worth before the Elite Four. He's also the protector of the Cave or Origin, which is very important in Hoenn myths, which probably makes him a powerful figure.
>>
File: BW_for_GB.png (381KB, 492x700px) Image search: [Google]
BW_for_GB.png
381KB, 492x700px
>>33297556
Found this one too in my pics
>>
>>33297941
pokemon is an E(everyone) game, so the concet need to fit all ages without being offensive of shocking for kids. Masuda said in a recent interview that pokemon wans't designed exclusively for kids. I'm not saying that's pokemon games has super mature and complex story, as kids can understand easily, but your tone is condencing while saying "there's no problem liking a child games, teenagers are ashamed', while that's not true at all. Most functioning adults don't give a fuck.

I think the tone changed a bit, but not sure if mature or childish is the point. I can say that nowaday there's much more explicit dark moments in the games. Pokemon was just more ambiguous and enigmatic for reasons that people in this thread already streched.
>>
>>33298280
sorry for the typos
>>
>>33298280
>pokemon is an E(everyone) game, so the concet need to fit all ages without being offensive of shocking for kids. Masuda said in a recent interview that pokemon wans't designed exclusively for kids.
But kids are included, so yeah, the games are for kids. Of course its an E game, adults should have no issue with content for kids. But most importantle, the franchise is seen as something for kids by most people.

>but your tone is condencing while saying "there's no problem liking a child games, teenagers are ashamed'
Its condescending because that's the point anon, there is nothing wrong with liking kids games. But a)misinformation IS wrong and b)forcing things to be "dark" is not right either. And again, what other reason can you think of? If you've ever interacted with anyone who likes pokemon outside /vp/ its not that uncommon to hear "pokemon is not for kids! it has [totally made up thing that is perfectly fine to show kids]". Creepypastas are good proof of this.

>Most functioning adults don't give a fuck.
Agree. Most of this fanbase aren't functioning adults though. Just because you are over 18 doesn't mean you're not an idiot.

>I think the tone changed a bit, but not sure if mature or childish is the point. I can say that nowaday there's much more explicit dark moments in the games.
There's more ""dark"" content because there's more content in general and the franchise now has to please older fans which are ok with things like passing mentions of death(which, while partially indicative of another of the fanbase's problems, its not a bad thing as of itself). The same way there's more "light" content.
>>
>>33298165
I still like anon's idea that the shadow ispointless here because Giovanni's shadow was covered in shadow to hide his identity. No reason to hide Wallace just because he's the final gym leader; other gens didn't do it because they have nothing to hide.
>>
>>33298341
>But kids are included, so yeah, the games are for kids. Of course its an E game, adults should have no issue with content for kids. But most important, the franchise is seen as something for kids by most people.
where it's stated that the games are not for kids? you are with an agenda or made up your mind and is trying to force that while no one ever said anything similiar in this thread. And you have any idea what inverview I was talking about?

>Its condescending because that's the point anon, there is nothing wrong with liking kids games. But a)misinformation IS wrong and b)forcing things to be "dark" is not right either. And again, what other reason can you think of? If you've ever interacted with anyone who likes pokemon outside /vp/ its not that uncommon to hear "pokemon is not for kids! it has. Creepypastas are good proof of this.

creepypastas are not even a mature.
Pokemon is not exclusively for kids, but saying that's not for kids (or adults) is ridiculous. There's no reason to be condescing about it. Most people outside vp get deffensive because people talk shit about pokemon reducing it as if all Pokemon franchise were represented by Ashnime , that's why people shout "Pokemon is not just for kids!"

>Agree. Most of this fanbase aren't functioning adults though. Just because you are over 18 doesn't mean you're not an idiot.
Yeah, being an adult doesn't make you better. The point is that internet is full of trolls, doesn't mean they arent functioning adults IRL Statitics showed that adults are the major part of pokemon fanbase though.

>There's more ""dark"" content because there's more content in general and the franchise now has to please older fans which are ok with things like passing mentions of death The same way there's more "light" content.
I said that to point that dark doesn't make anything more mature or better. Even with more explicit death or similar stuff, the first games felt less... childish? my opinion though.
>>
>>33298445
>where it's stated that the games are not for kids?
Fair point, but, as said, what people perceives is more important here.

>creepypastas are not even a mature.
They're an idiot's idea of mature. I never said it is.

> that's why people shout "Pokemon is not just for kids!"
And the proceding justification is almost always made up "darkness". The likes you see on this very thread. The other times its competitive(with made up complexity that stems from not understanding what a video game is like though).

>IRL Statitics showed that adults are the major part of pokemon fanbase though.
It showed people at the age one should be an adult are a major part of the pokemon fanbase. Not actual adults.

>I said that to point that dark doesn't make anything more mature or better.
Its what idiots think make something more mature of better, I never said it is the actual case.

>Even with more explicit death or similar stuff, the first games felt less... childish? my opinion though.
If that were true you'd be able to say why.

And again, as I keep asking, what other reason is there for people to invent "dark" stuff in the games?
>>
File: IMG_1097.png (169KB, 751x263px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1097.png
169KB, 751x263px
>>33294294
what the fuck
>>
>>33297260
For the first Pokémon game and a gameboy game, RBY had a decent amount of exploration (there were large areas you could totally miss or skip over), you could do a bit of "sequence breaking" (for lack of a better term), and there wasn't really any of the handholding we started to see as early as Gen 3.
>>
>>33298948
>haha! le real life animals meme! that'll show him!
>>
>>33294192

Yes. Each director had a distinct era.

Tajiri Era - Emphasis on open-world adventure in unique environments rather than major story- or character-building. Many characters are one-dimensional. Artwork is very banal.

Masuda Era - Having lost the attention of consumers, Masuda made significant changes to the franchise. More story and character building and less open world. Pokemon are actually connected to the storyline. Much more linear gameplay with simultaneously more memorable characters.

Ohmori Era - Era of fan requests and competing with other games. Makes significant changes to the storyline and provides fan requests while simultaneously easing gameplay with hand-holding tutorials. Still strong emphasis on characters and storyline. Most linear games yet but are distinct enough to not be completely terrible.
>>
>>33298984
Can't wait to leave the Ohmori era, even though we're probably in it for another two gens.
>>
>>33298984
i see. makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>33299026
Too much handholding
>>
>>33294347
Honestly I like the '10 style better
>>
>>33299411
stop liking what I don't like
>>
Yeah. It seems to upbeat after XY.
>>
>>33296510
Yes. Why? Did he run on a different platform than the one I thought he did?
>>
>>33295314
stop moving the goalposts
>>
>>33295646
>>33295671
buttitude
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.