[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why ruby and Sapphire were the hardest games to make

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1668.png (797KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1668.png
797KB, 750x1334px
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/08/14/why-ruby-and-sapphire-were-the-most-challenging-pokemon-to-make.aspx
>>
Interesting that

R/s
Leaf green and fire red
Diamond and pearl

We're thought about at same time
>>
>>33290931
>And now Pokemon Switch will be the hardest game ever.
>>
>Most difficult to game to made

No postgame, just battle tower

No night even trough gsc had that

No new areas even trough gsc had a whole postgame region

No way to transfer mons from gen 1&2

They sure fucked up and that comes from someone who started with ruby

Was the gba so different to the gbc?
>>
>>33291062
>Was the gba so different to the gbc?
yes
>>
>>33291062
If you actually article it's not hardest games to make in gameplay but the impact the games will had to have after the fad of pokemania was over
>>
>>33291062
>Was the gba so different to the gbc?

Fucking shit yes, going from gbc to gba was like going from a mainstream nokia phone to a smartphone, the devices may be similiar in purpose, but worlds apart in execution.
>>
>>33291062
I don´t know if you are baiting or just completely retard
Pic related (You)
>>
>>33291062
Weird how RSE are way more significant to the evolution of the franchise AND way better games than GSC, despite lacking all of that.

Really makes u think.
>>
>>33291062
>even trough
>>
>>33291085
This. When you port a mon form the VC rereleases, your Pokemon are pretty much destroyed and then remade based on the data that Bank read. The data for mons from Gen 1 and Gen 3 onwards are almost two different beasts alltogether.
>>
>>33291086
It's funny I never even thought about it like that but from Masuda's point of view it was:
>this is my first game as director now that Satoshi stepped down
>pokemania is over, they're saying it was a fad
>if I mess this up Pokemon is 100% dead and because my name is at the top and I'll take the blame
>I could lose my job and my everything if this game doesn't sell well
>also while this is happening we're redesigning how the games play
>and we're on new hardware

That level of stress is terrifying. At the same time though you could make the argument that because succeeded Pokemon became "Masuda's". Pokemon still use the nature EV and IV system from RS. The games pretty much still follow the RS formula of gyms, criminal team, cover legendary, elite four, post game battle tower. If anything RS was the turning point where Pokemon became the modern games they are today.
>>
>>33291096
this
also kanto is not post game
>>
>>33290931
Smaragd will stay the best Pokemon game together Pokemon White/Black 2, Pokemon Platinum and Pokemon HS/GG, the rest are utter trash compared.
>>
>>33290931
People forget that RS set the foundation for modern Pokemon games.
>>
>>33291249
That's what Masuda said in article

Double battle

Abilities and natures
>>
>>33291135
>The games pretty much still follow the RS formula of gyms, criminal team, cover legendary, elite four, post game battle tower.
Technically, Crystal was Masuda's first game and you can see a lot of the elements of modern Pokemon begin there.

RS was what solidifed the formula, though.
>>
>>33291096
Objectively wrong. GSC introduced genders, breeding, shinies, day/night, held items, pokerus, battle facilities, steel and dark and the first female MC.
RSE gave us abilities and the cancerous nature bullshit. RSE is irrelevant when it comes to new features.
>>
So how will or how could Ohmori revitalize the formula now that it's gotten stale?
>>
>>33291568
To be fair, some of GSC's features were intended for Gen 1 (Pokemon genders, breeding, probably held items), but because of various factors, they couldn't.
>>
>>33291596
Sun and moon changed alot
>>
>>33291135
That's a big reason I don't like RS. They feel like they're trying too hard to update the RBY formula, rather than using the next technology to move the franchise forward. There was no real reason to bring back the evil team and gym ideas.
>>
>>33291725
It's ok for mario to save peach from browser in 30 games

But not ok for Pokemon to use gym and evil teams
>>
>>33291738
no its not because this is/vp/ and in this shithole you are not allowed to like the games, only shit on them
>>
>>33291738
Because most Mario games have different gameplay.

Pokemon games were all virtually identical until SM broke from the formula.
>>
>>33291738
Well, many pokemon games deviate from the standard formula, mystery dungeon, conquest, shuffle, go, they're vastly different, even Colosseum/Gale of Darkness tried a different formula, of course they have an evil team, but the ultimate goal was to rescue & purify shadow pokemon, not to collect badges, defeat the elite 4, become the champion or finish someone else's dex for him, there are many games that don't use the same old formula, most people won't play them because they don't consider them "main" pokemon games, it's your fault for not playing them, not theirs.
>>
>>33290931
>"I got really stressed out and had to go to the hospital and had some stomach issues and had to get a camera inserted and they didn’t know what it was – very stressful," Masuda says.
>>
>>33291568
>RSE is irrelevant when it comes to new features
Yeah, that's why they completely scrubbed natures, IVs, and EVs from the franchise right after introducing them right? Oh, wait. They didn't.
>>
>>33291062
Pokemon didn't really have postgame the way we understand it before Emerald

GSC-Kanto wasnt postgame, the game ends after you beat Red, not Lance.

Inability to send Pokemon over was a technical issue, nothing they could really do about it at the time.
>>
>>33291883
>IVs, and EVs
Those basically existed since gen1.
>>
>>33292045
of course, but they revamped them and kept their revamped variants, didn't they?
>>
>>33291096
135 new pokemon
New type combinations
Two new unown forms
103 new moves
77 new abilities some of which work outside of battle
Revamped pokemon storage system, full-color, wallpapers, up to 420 pokemon
Pokemon Contests
Ribbons
Pokeblocks
Brand-new region
Seven new pokeballs, including my all-time favorites Premier Ball & Luxury Ball
Overworld weather now affect battles
Version-exclusive villain teams
Double Battles
e-reader
60 fps
Trading with international carts is now possible
Complete overhaul of the pokemon data structure:
Nature system
Shinyness & gender are no longer tied to IVs, Female pokemon are no longer weaker than male ones
Improved berry system
>>33291568
Many of those features were intended for gen I, a lot of those were broken and RSE fixed them
>>33291725
Except they did used the next technology to move the franchise forward.
>>
>>33292278
>135 new pokemon
why can't we just have this amount every gen? not a paltry 70, not an overblown 156, but a nice 120-135.
>>
>Masuda cares so much he got ill in the run up to Ruby/Sapphire being released

>Ohmori doesn't give a flying fuck and just coasts along with ORAS-tier garbage
>>
>>33291880
Masuda: "WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME?!"

Doctor: Haha I don't know
>>
File: IMG_0656.jpg (35KB, 249x337px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0656.jpg
35KB, 249x337px
>>33292346
>>
>>33291062
>castrated kanto
>new areas

kek here's your reply
>>
File: 1502631349240.jpg (28KB, 509x538px) Image search: [Google]
1502631349240.jpg
28KB, 509x538px
>>33291062
>reddit spacing
>loads of misspellings
>>
>>33291873
But he said evil teams also. Those games have evil team
>>
File: IMG_1150.jpg (114KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1150.jpg
114KB, 540x720px
>>33292346
kek
>>
>>33292278
>Many of those features were intended for gen I,
Yes, so?
>a lot of those were broken and RSE fixed them
And DPPt fixed a lot of broken features of RSE.
>>
>>33291883
>natures, IVs, and EVs
all of these are cancer
>>
>>33292565
Then the franchise was cancer from gen 1.
>>
>>33292584
>specific features make the franchise as a whole cancerous
also I didn't know that gen 1 had natures and the same IV system than gen 3
>>
>>33292565
It's been 15 years anon, it's time to either let go or get used to them
>>
>>33292606
Gen 1 didn't have natures, and IVs and EVs were there but worked differently.
>>
>>33292628
that's my point
>>
>>33292639
OK, time to retract an earlier statement. I should've said the franchise HAD cancer from gen 1.
>>
>>33292549
>And DPPt fixed a lot of broken features of RSE.
How were they broken, which ones were broken and how did DiaPer fixed them?
>>
>>33292812
Not him but the only one I can think of is the Physical/Special split and that's kind of a toss-up given how many mons in Hoenn were seemingly built around types being physical/special.
>>
File: 1332473313695.jpg (103KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1332473313695.jpg
103KB, 1024x576px
>>33292346
>>
>>33292321
We've been getting a lot more alternate forms (Megas and Alolan) recently so I guess those are being counted if. I also guess they don't want to go over 1000 Pokemon yet. We're less than 200 away and I imagine (or hope) that GameFreak are going to try and do something special for the 1000th Pokemon when that time comes.
>>
>>33290950
DP has to be the mess it is because they intended to have gen 4 on the GBA, there is no other explanation. This kinda confirms it for me. It also makes a lot of sense, as gen 3 and 4 are the two most coheisively seamed together generations, with the 3rd games and remakes making two perfect sets of games that had become cornerstones of the timeline. After gen 5 the legacy of the GBADS era just completely unraveled, especially after ORAS completely failed at doing the same for the Mega Universe.
>>
>>33291226
Memes never die.
>>
>>33291958
>the game ends after you beat Red, not Lance

Explain.
>>
>>33293774
I will explain for him: some people that dislike the Johto games claim that Kanto is not postgame and then they pretend that Kanto not being postgame = less content in the game.
>>
>>33292565
Just inject lol

But seriously the iv and ev system was a mistake, all mons should have 31 iv and no such thing as Evs with neutral nature.
Oh right natures the thing introduced in RS that define whether your pokemon is useless or not what an awesome mechanic.

>33291062
Also I point out stuff about rs and everyone goes crazy, here is another

Rby and Gsc had what the majority define as the best rivals while rse had a friend that doesn't even fully evolves his/her starter and a kid that you battle two times.

Friendly reminder to hoennbabies that I also started with rse but I can see it's flaws
>>
>>33294095
If you were a pre teen like I was, you really didn't know whether or not you pokemon was good or not, until Emerald.

I'm sure Masuda didn't have such a competitive scope in mind when he thought of expanding the IV system beyond what it was. He just wanted to make same-species Pokemon distinguishable from one another.
>>
>>33294095
>had what the majority define as the best
If we honestly gave a shit about that then XY. SM, and RBYGSC would be considered the best games, but they're not. Ad populum is a shit fallacy, don't use it.

Blue is a shit-tier rival, Silver is okay. Everyone else fucking sucks.
>>
>>33294179
>If we honestly gave a shit about that

About what?
>>
>>33294095
EVs & IVs already existed on gen I-II, and they were badly designed and broken, gender was tied to the IVs, if they were low, the resulting pokemon would be female, if they were high, the pokemon would be male, shinyness was also tied to the IVs, shiny pokemon always had the same mediocre IVs, it was impossible to get a shiny pokemon with good IVs, only two unown pokemon (I & V) could be shiny since unown forms were also tied to the IVs, and finally, a female pokemon who belonged to a species with a seven males to one female ratio could never be shiny, for example, a female eevee could never be shiny, luckily for us, RSE came and fixed the shitty IV system
>>
is that an interview off Masuda ? where does he say that
>>
>>33291958
>GSC-Kanto wasnt postgame, the game ends after you beat Red, not Lance.

No, the credits roll after you beat Lance. Johto just still has the best postgame in the series.

Unfortunately, Pokemon requires such complicated resources now that it's unlikely we'd ever get another game like that. It would be too much effort to, for instance, add Unova to Sun/Moon.

But if they made a new Kanto game a Johto postgame wouldn't be out of the question.
>>
>>33294484
Did you read link in op
>>
>>33294179
Xy,sm,rby and gsc as the best games?
well rby and gsc are definitely among the best games, Sm was okay and Xy was good
>>33294408
The iv and ev problem goes beyond which gen did it right since they all failed
right now SM are the best in this subject with Hyper training.
Also you seem to have forgotten about natures also introduced in gen3 one of the defining factors whether your Pokemon is good or not and it can easily fixed with a npc that changes your mons nature
>>
>>33294503
yes but it was when game informer goes to game freak ?
>>
>>33294510
>it can easily fixed with a npc that changes your mons nature

hwat?
>>
>>33291880
>>33292346
It happens. I once suffered an inguinal hernia that had retracted by the time I got to the doctor. He was unable to find any evidence of the extrusion and had no explanation.
>>
>>33290931
STOP SHILLING GAME INFORMER
>>
>>33294510
Well I agree with that, hyper training was a nice feature they should have introduced years ago, but the IV / nature system wasn't a failure, together they make your pokemon unique, special & different from the rest, if your pokemon has physical attacks only you can give them a boost with the right nature, the one that boosts regular attacks and decreases the special attack (adamant) which is an irrelevant decrease since your mon will never use that stat, if you really don't like those kinds of natures the game offers you not only a neutral nature, it offers you five or six neutral natures, the chance of getting a neutral one is bigger than the rest, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no such thing as an NPC that allows you to change a pokemon nature
>>
>>33294510
>well rby and gsc are definitely among the best games
Opinion discarded. Take off your nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>33294601
At least for me the iv system is a failure only works for hidden power
I don't really care if my Pokemon is unique, it would be better if they all had 31 in all stats and people can finally forget about the ivs.

Indeed Hyper training was a blessing too bad many people who bash Sm never mention it.
I get what you're saying with natures but the points is that if all mons had neutral natures people won't end up with useless pokemons also there are natures like lonely which you would only pick for a mixed attacker and almost never over adamant or modest.

I was just saying a way gf could fix the nature's problem like they did with hypertraining npc
>>
>>33294615
Well which games are the best will always end up beign an opinion but when the majority involved it really makes you think.

I started with ruby then lg then red then crystal after that everything order of release, so zero nostalgia on this but believe what you want
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.