[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I have fun with mainline Pokemon again? I was obsessed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: 434_stunky_by_raizy-d4bt2ic.png (737KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
434_stunky_by_raizy-d4bt2ic.png
737KB, 800x800px
How do I have fun with mainline Pokemon again?
I was obsessed with these games ages 5-23.
I feel nuzlockes ruined me because playing normally through a replay seems like a waste of time since there's no real objective.
Like riding a stationary bicycle with a moving background like in a cartoon.
I had a nice nuzlocke on Platinum going on, but got burnt out after Candice.
Other main games are easier to nuzlocke.
I want to have fun with Pokemon again but I can't think of how.
I would like to use Flaaffy in a game, but why get started if it might just get boring with no incentive other than using the cutest mon?
Give suggestions pls.
No romhacks pls, since I'm too busy to mess with the computer much nowadays and touchscreen phone emulation is ass.
>>
pls respond I beg
I want to have fun with homogaymon again
>>
Wait for USUM and play something new instead of constantly trying to fill the void in your soul with Pokemon.
>>
>>33280129
I guess if self insertion doesn't work anymore and you're not artistically talented (draw comics about the journey helps me) or use mons you've never used before. That's how I do it, but I think it's best if you play through a game and have a friend to talk to about your experience. I finished playing through Platinum I think for the fourth time a few weeks ago and I was able to voice my frustrations and triumphs in the game with one of my Pokémon nerd friends.
Really for me, Pokémon has always been more of a social experience, with battling and trading being my main focus.
Alternatively, maybe you could have just grown out of it and need to take a break for a bit.
I hope I helped a bit.
>>
>>33280129
Take a break from Pokemon, and only play Pokemon games as they come out instead of replaying old ones.
>>
>>33282209
>>33282237
Basically just take a break, if you really like it, you'll come back to it.
>>
>>33280129
Go to the psychiatrist
>>
>>33280129
You can't, since you are a casual gamer.
>>
>>33282209
I feel like with a little practice I can be artisitically talented enough to do a comic (I have some really fun ideas I've wanted to try out) but I don't really know where to go for help. /ic/ is no use because they're all about loomis and professional drawing, which is way above what I want to achieve, even posting the the beginner threads doesn't really net me the kind advice I'm looking for. I'm trying to achieve a certain style, not draw spectacularly.

I just want to be able to draw to the standards of something like Calvin and Hobbes, or pic related. Something fast to sketch, relatively easy, but also flexible and with its own unique style. Also vibrant watercolors to hide the otherwise mediocre sketch.
>>
File: 1286871385270.png (31KB, 235x241px) Image search: [Google]
1286871385270.png
31KB, 235x241px
>>33282644
There's a major problem with your mindset. In order to draw with a certain style well you need to study Loomis first. I'm not even an artist, but I've seen the work of artists who brush off fundamentals and anatomy as /ic/ nerd bullshit, and it's not pretty even after wasting years of their life doodling. It's not optional, it's like learning grammar between the alphabet and writing a book. There's no way you can pull off your pic, let alone C&H, without putting in that effort first. You need to get gud before that becomes "fast to sketch" and "relatively easy."
>>
>>33280129
When you hear a new pokemon game is coming out avoid all spoilers as much as possible. Even release dates. Remember going to Funcoland, EB Games, or even Walmart and seeing a new pokemon game you'd never heard of sitting on the shelf? It's hard to do in this era but that's what I did with Sun and Moon. Girlfriend got me both for Christmas and while they're heavily flawed games I enjoyed them, not just from a sentimental viewpoint. They feel like a generic early 2000s rpg with pokemon in them rather than a pokemon game, but I went into it with a tiny version of that sense of wonder and exploration that I had with the earlier games.
>>
>>33280129
Take a break. I just came back to Sun after 9 months and I'm not bored with it anymore
>>
File: personal usage list.png (562KB, 1000x1222px) Image search: [Google]
personal usage list.png
562KB, 1000x1222px
>>33280129
I make a point to only use Pokémon I haven't used before, and to try only using Pokémon introduced in that region (though I only use that as a hard rule the first time I play a game, otherwise I'll be softer and just make it a preference). I even have a checklist of Pokémon I've used so I can try to avoid them, and whenever I look at it I get reminded that I need to play Gen 4+ more often but I never do since they're more cumbersome to emulate and I can't be assed pulling out my DS. I also run from any and all wild battles that I don't plan on catching.
>>
>>33283534
>>33282462
>>33282237
I already took quite some breaks.
It's just hard to stay commited to the games for too long to actually finish them.
Playing them for the first time is fun, but replays feel impossible.
>>33282497
I feel I might've become casual, yes.
I used to play the games obsessively.
Now I guess since I have a life after 22 years of not having one, my mind can't focus?
My Pokemon obsession was very strong my whole life.
It's like I'm missing that part of old me now.
No big deal, but it's a little weird.
>>33282497
I don't think I have the time to draw on top it all.
My only friend is my bf, and he couldn't get into Pokemon.
His introduction being Moon was a huge mistake on my part, but I doubt Pokemon was for him anyways though.
33 is kind of late for a nostalgia series perhaps.
>>
>>33280129
Use pokemon you've never used before. Also, maybe you should take a break from the games, it's possible you're just burned out
>>
I've been trying out different challenges to keep things interesting. Right now I'm doing only two damaging moves per 'mon with no STAB moves allowed. It's been pretty interesting. It's really made me appreciate Skitty/Delcatty, since they get Normalize naturally (I'm playing through Omega Ruby)
>>
>>33285271
You're a cheating bitch but I admire you for doing what you want, when you want.
I might do this combined with the using Pokemon I've never used before.
A gen 5 game sounds perfect for that.
>>
>>33285345
Normalize only boosts Delcatty's 55/65 offenses, so I don't really feel like it's too cheap. What IS cheating is that I hate the Hoenn starters, so I traded myself a Chimchar with egg move ThunderPunch. THAT has been way OP.

Whatever game you do it in, it has to be one with reusable TMs IMO, otherwise you're going to be stuck with no moves to use. As far as catching Pokemon that already have illegal movesets, I let them use so long as I have no other option, but as soon as a replacement move is available, via level up or TM, I replace it.

If other people were interested, I would love to hear about other people's experiences with the challenge. I'd gladly check in with my experience in challenge run general, I'd love others to do the same.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.