[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Masuda talks about zelda open world in pokemon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 18

File: Screenshot_20170811-125007.png (647KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170811-125007.png
647KB, 1080x1920px
Skip to 3:22

https://youtu.be/HgTUuEG96K4
>>
>>33266361
30 seconds in and he already BTFO anti-storyfags
>>
>>33266394
I wouldn't mind a story if Gamefreak could actually do one right.

SM felt like generic shitty RPG story.
>>
>>33266419
Name one mainstream video game series that does stories right -- you can shit on any of them. GF takes all sorts of angles with their storytelling, Sun/Moon was the strongest and most cohesive one they've done.
>>
>>33266466
Disgaea series.

Bonus points for self-awareness and 4th wall breaking.

Also Megaten (especially Nocturne)
>>
File: masuda.png (108KB, 217x226px) Image search: [Google]
masuda.png
108KB, 217x226px
>>
>>33266466
>Sun/Moon was the strongest and most cohesive one they've done

Nice joke. BW shits on SM
>>
File: mpv-shot0001.jpg (131KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0001.jpg
131KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>33266482
Is that even mainstream? First time I'm hearing about it and from Wikipedia the sales are just 1.7 M for the series as of 2011. And it's not like Pokemon doesn't have elements of self-awareness and such.

>>33266514
That's your nostalgia speaking. Ghetsis was a joke cop-out.
>>
>>33266533
>Ghetsis was a joke cop-out.
Lusamine and Guzma are better?
>>
>>33266361
>hardware evolves
>which means visual expressions are easier to do
>which means a bigger focus on telling a story to the player is a necessary component
>you now realize all the games that are coming will have more dialogues and cutscenes than SM

Enjoy USUM and the Switch game.

Also it kills me how they talk about Bonds between people and pokémon, show Gen 5, and the new games are completely avoiding that by forcing you to go out of your adventure to follow something else. They have the right idea but the execution is missing.
>>
>>33266540
Guzma was a hired goon. Lusamine was better, yes. If the enemy were just N or Ghetsis actually believed what he was fighting for BW would be great but Ghetsis being evil/manipulative simplified the story.
>>
>>33266533
>I'm an Ignorant fucker ergo the series isn't mainstream
>>
>>33266466
FF and Xenoblade. What do I win?
>>
>>33266573
But Lusamine is way worse, her goal is to sit in her cave in another universe with her ultra beast. In the meantime she releases other beasts aand tells them "destroy alola lol". Thats good?
>>
>>33266578
You could say that for any franchise under the radar.
>>
>>33266573
Lysander believed what he was fighting for, and he's still considered one of the worst villains in the franchise.
>>
>>33266573
There is literally no reason to get Lusamine out of his cave.
>>
>>33266631
>his
What did he yadayada?
>>
>>33266490
>>33266517
MMMMMMMMMMH
>>
Stop carrying about the open world meme.
>>
>>33266585
What makes them better than Pokemon in your eyes in the story department? Is it the more mature elements like controlled states or something?

>>33266588
Her 'goal' was developed from Nihilego's poisoning, so she was really a brainwashed captive that created familial strife since people weren't sure why she was acting like that.

>>33266593
Lysandre was considered bad because GF forced him to weave the themes of XY into his villainy, and it didn't make sense since they half-assed it (holding back because eugenics would be crossing a line). He unleashed a weapon to control who lived and who died, but the story wasn't fleshed out enough considering they rushed from the 'gathering money to develop tech' phase to the 'nuking the region' phase.

>>33266631
What? That was Lillie's mom at the end of the day. Lillie was tired of her doing that shit.
>>
>>33266708
>Her 'goal' was developed from Nihilego's poisoning, so she was really a brainwashed captive that created familial strife since people weren't sure why she was acting like that.

Right, amazing villain...
This is literally the worst dog shit that ever came out of Pokemon games
>>
>>33266593
The issue with Lysandre is they tell too much show too little with him. You get no real insight as to how his frustrations boiled over.

>>33266708
Dude one of the good parts of the story in XY is every encounter with Flare is another step towards getting the UW working. They've got a goal, and everything's towards it.
>>
>>33266723
Good job explaining why anything about that is bad with just sarcasm and restatement.
>>
>>33266466
Even if you consider other stories in video games to be bad, that doesn't make Pokemon's good. Pokemon's always been considerably weak, even by video game standards.
>>
File: lol100yardstare.jpg (24KB, 587x76px) Image search: [Google]
lol100yardstare.jpg
24KB, 587x76px
>>33266394
best part of the video since pic related
>>
>>33266466
>>
>>33266741
It is bad because they made a huge drama around it, you had to babysit lillie through the whole game and at the end of the day they're all were innocent. Guzma was just doing his job and went back to his old life, Lusamine was "manipulated" but got rescued andher daughter will heal her, Nihilego was just a Pokemon so o punishment, Faba lost his position but stil stayed at Aether

All was well
>>
File: R6Diudd.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
R6Diudd.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>33266758
Removed pic for some reason
>>
>>33266588
Even worse yet, she has 0 control over any wormholes that opened or the UBs that emerged from them. UBs are simply hostile by nature
>>
>>33266361
Breath of the Wild was good, but that's just it. Good. If the next Pokemon game takes anything besides the sense of exploration BotW had, I'm gonna be so pissed. Witcher 3 was way better.
>>
>>33266766
Is this game really worth it?
>>
>>33266741
Not the fags you're talking to, but SM/any other pokemons story's issue primarily isn't even the story alone. It's how it's told. I dont personally mind Aether, or Lusamine, or Type:Null or what not, but what I DO mind is forced "friendships", interruptions during progression, and primary focus on events unrelated to the actual goal of the player held in the absolute fore front.

Jamming cutscenes down your throat doesn't mesh well with video games. Gamefreak thinks that it's absolutely necessary for the player to actually be a character on some unrelated journey, but it creates this massive disconnect when that's not what the series has ever been about, or will ever be about.

People aren't playing a fucking pokemon game to find out what happens to their BFF Lillie (well I'm sure some mouth breathers are, but autism is an ugly beast). Theyre playing it to collect pokemon, train them for battle, and adventure.

Story can actually compliment adventure perfectly, but it can equally quash it. Pokemon RBY had a very small taste of it with Mewtwo's origins. It was left for you to discover Mewtwo's origins in a non-impeding way, and to draw the connection between Fuji and the project. That gives the otherwise extremely simple story more power.

I'm not saying every piece of information needs to be exclusively stumbled upon, but the more its found, or the more it's left up to player choice to spend time on, the better. A more extreme example is how entire storylines are hidden in quests in Skyrim or the Witcher. Pokemon games take the route of bottlenecking you literally the entire route to make sure their average-at-best storyline is told first and foremost, which is in exact contrast to having an adventure. The last gens have been theme parks, made even more obvious in being less branchy than the still-not-branchy RBY, and graphics making the hallway routes look more obvious.

(cont)
>>
>>33266361
>Open world meme
Ok, let's have a talk, explain to me how do you see open world games, and how it would work on pokemon

>''Open world is i can go to anywhere and get wrecked by shit that is 50 levels over my pokemons because i stepped on the wrong zone''
do you really want this?
what advantage would an open world pokemon game have?, like how would it improve the games?
>>
File: 1384740771927.jpg (63KB, 680x469px) Image search: [Google]
1384740771927.jpg
63KB, 680x469px
>>33266361
I just watched the whole video
These two guys seem to be nice people and I feel so bad for hating them
Even if they add questionable and ridiculous things to the games that I don't like that much
They just want me to enjoy the game and I'm enjoying it the wrong way

Fuck you for making me hate these two wonderful lovebirds /vp/
>>
>>33266823
(cont)

I'm not saying the game needs to go balls to the wall "literally go anywhere except the death boundaries" open like BotW, but giving at least some degree of openness and exploration is EASILY feesable with it wouldn't have to make any mechanicle concessions. It'd just need to stop dragging you along.

Xenoblade Chronicles is a good example. It's not open world, but it kind of feels like it.. You have large areas to explore, and can only progress through storyline, but its up to you when that happens, and are free to travel back and forth and explore the areas you have all you want. That game successfully felt like you were exploring, while still having an engaging storyline. In fact, I think the story had a greater impact as a result.

BotW serves as a good case study of going from Skyward Sword (on rails, no exploration), to completely on its head.
>>
>>33266832
You do realize there are open world RPG's, right?

>''Open world is i can go to anywhere and get wrecked by shit that is 50 levels over my pokemons because i stepped on the wrong zone''

Even if that was the only way to do that, I'd enjoy that immensely, yes. Having the choice to do that is what makes it interesting. Though, I dont think that'd be the best way to go about it given the fact that you actually capture the enemies.
>>
>>33266832
I was thinking about this, the mayor improvement of having access to most areas from the start is getting the rarer/late pokemon early which adds to the team building, sure you can break the game with that, but so you do with trading.

I think the problem with the story is that it doesn't compliment the main gameplay and multiplayer features of pokemon, sure you can help save the world of destruction but it feels disconnected when at the start of the game they tell you that you're just a boy trying to complete the gym challenge like everyone else at the end the teams plans feel like a chore against your main objective. BW had the right idea with the main rival/bad guy trying to beat the league and RB had the last gym leader be the bad guy so it can be done.
>>
>>33266729
Yeah toward building the weapon, but toward explaining why he felt the need to resort to killing people in the first place. Here's a guy who's the head of the Holo Caster and uncovering the power of Mega Evolution, and nuking Kalos is his grand plan? Doesn't add up, or at least, we weren't shown enough of what drove him to that specifically.

>>33266744
That's my point, no matter what approach GF tries to tell a story (with kids in mind especially), it's called shit. Fans don't know what they'd want in terms of a story, because the fact of the matter is even if they got what they wanted, someone else will call it shit too.

>>33266758
>>33266766
I tried Persona, didn't like it, and the story felt like nothing captivating either (I'm talking about P5G in particular).

>>33266763
Lillie was on the run since Lusamine was compelled to abuse a Pokemon into forcing open a portal. She was sheltering with Kukui but gained enough courage from watching you, some 11 yr old journey around by yourself handling gang goons like nothing. We're still in a cliffhanger over Lusamine's mental state as Lillie is off to Kanto to see what she can do about it, and then there's the consideration if part of Lusamine's behavior was internal since she had a thing for beauty. Nihilego wasn't just a Pokemon so it wasn't innocent, and there's the whole aspect of the UB invasion that creates a motif of invasive vs. native that we see running throughout the games. Remember, Guzzlord ate one of the agents, that's not innocent. And lastly, it's not like there's a name or clear villain apart from the UBs, whose intentions remain unknown apart from causing trouble (although maybe they're provoked, perhaps we'll find out in USUM), which is why it was nice to see when the Aether Foundation was against you, it was grunts following orders, Faba being an ass as usual, and Wicke was still helping you.
>>
>>33266868
>You do realize there are open world RPG's, right?
read it again, i asked how do you see a pokemon open world game, as how would it work?

>Though, I dont think that'd be the best way to go about it given the fact that you actually capture the enemies.
Even if you captured a pokemon 50 level above what you have you couldn't use it because ''i won't obey you because you don't have enough badges''

>>33266905
i didn't ask about the story, but
>RB had the last gym leader be the bad guy so it can be done.
yeah that sounds like a way it would work
>>
>>33266514
Nope. BW was the first step they took in that direction. I think you're confusing that for objective story cohesion. I'm also not even going to bring up how shit and redundant most of the new Pokémon were in that game, either.
>>
>>33266921
pokemon with your ID will always obey you regardless of the level or number of badges.
>>
>>33266840
I think something like the first Xenoblade would be the best way to take things. Keep linear world progression, but lots of room to explore the individual areas, tougher enemies to go back to, and quests all throughout.

Though I think the best way for Pokemon to tackle the story itself is the main story is just the League and some rival encounters. If you want to go in-depth with the backstory of the region, fight evil group, hunt legendaries, find out more about specific characters you met along the way, and other such things, there'd be quest lines for all that, but you have to go seek it out. You'd be pushed to do them through things like the level curve, but if you want, you can just focus on being the very best.
>>
>>33266466
SM's story was cluttered with shit pacing and many characters who amounted to nothing. None of the individual plot threads meshed together at all, and your character lacked motivation to do anything other than making Lillie see her own story through.
>>
>>33266361
>ore wa
What did he mean by this?
No seriously I thought "watashi" was the formal one. Does he not care much about this interview (or being rude by Japanese standards)?
>>
>>33266823
THIS
>>
>>33266921
>read it again, i asked how do you see a pokemon open world game, as how would it work?

I'm saying that there are other RPG open world games, as in, there are examples to draw inspiration from. Skyrim, for instance, has a level scaling system in place so that you're never overpowered or underpowered, but can still go anywhere.

>Even if you captured a pokemon 50 level above what you have you couldn't use it because ''i won't obey you because you don't have enough badges''

That's actually true, I didn't consider that.

Gyms could actually be a much better way of creating an open world. You could use them as bottlenecks, and have groups of Gyms to choose from during certain points of progression. In fact, this could allow them to not have to worry about scaling wild encounters, but just scale Gym leaders relative to your amount of badges (which happens to be canon already). Lets say you have the Brock, Misty and Surge all available to you right away, with a roadblock stopping you from going further. If you choose to fight Misty first, then Brock would be stronger given that you have a badge already. That sorta deal.

I realize changes would need to be made, but the core identity of pokemon is dependant on exploration to truly thrive, so I dont think pushing for it, to a degree, is detrimental. Personally, full blown Open world isn't what I'm interested in. I mentioned in another post that Xenoblade is a good example of a structure I'd like. It has large areas gated by progression, which is effectively what Pokemon does but just less insanely restricted.
>>
File: facial expressions.png (383KB, 849x483px) Image search: [Google]
facial expressions.png
383KB, 849x483px
>>33266361
>Ohmori
>>
>>33266361
>We'd need a good interesting reason
The idea of an open world where you can go anywhere, climb anything and interact with the environment to find and catch pokemon isn't interesting enough?
>>
>>33267011
>We can finally do facial expressions
>Gives the MC the same expression throughout the whole game

What did they mean by this.
>>
>>33266975
He didn't care and probably figured the dirty gaijins can't tell the difference.
>>
>>33266823
>but what I DO mind is forced "friendships", interruptions during progression, and primary focus on events unrelated to the actual goal of the player held in the absolute fore front.
I think that's a fair distinction to make. I'm of the opinion that the cutscenes and such should be skippable after the first playthrough. I don't see them breaking out of the 'forced friendship' mold soon since as was said in the interview they want bonds between Pokemon and humans as the focus, so journeying alone wouldn't abide by that unless they pull something where characters you meet from earlier help you out down the road, but then again they did that, with characters like Nanu and Hapu. The other side of that is GF wants to not make the game feel lifeless, since I think they don't want, with all these technical advances in the game, for these growingly realistic characters to be behaving like they're simply sprites without determinable expressions. I think the protag's expressions are a joke on their part, but yeah, they're trying to take advantage of the tools they have -- maybe that's a bad thing, but maybe it'll improve with future iterations to make it feel more organic and less restrictive on the player's part.

>>33266840
I think the other thing, and it sounds like I'm making excuses for them but still, is they have more of a timeline to commit to. It was such a bummer to see how XY's content tapered off insanely after the first two gyms, but I think that's part of the realization that they can't fit as much as they want in these games and still stick to a schedule. I imagine the 'Battle Frontier has begun' shit was the same.
>>
Alright, how do you improve SM's story?
>>
>>33266972
Well golly, what makes you say any of that? There's no time limit on doing the trials so it's not like you were in a rush or couldn't be bothered. Which characters amounted to nothing?
>>
File: hex.png (44KB, 295x238px) Image search: [Google]
hex.png
44KB, 295x238px
>>33267050
2D animated scenes and significant development based on your decisions.
>>
File: 1479833964378.gif (1MB, 540x250px) Image search: [Google]
1479833964378.gif
1MB, 540x250px
>>33266750
>GF is finally learning stuff that has been there since the N64
Wow
>>
>>33266936
But you did bring it up, and it's completely unrelated and unnecessary

>>33267050
Get rid of about half of it. The UB attack on the Kahunas was pointless. Team Skull was pointless. Leave them out completely.

Actually give hints to Lusamine's motivations before the fucking postgame. Dont show the Lillie scene from the beginning so it's more ambiguous whether Aether is evil

Make the cutscenes skippable.

Now that the UB attack is removed from the main game, flesh it out in the postgame

Better, but still not the best.

>>33267060
Here are the plot threads that SM had going on. Note that some may intersect at different points:

The island challenge
Aeher Foundation arc
Team Skull arc
Ultra Wormhole and UB related stuff
The legendary plot

They all cut into each other massively, so that we never spent that much time with any of it, and things didnt flow. We pause the island challenge to talk about Ultra Space in Burnett's lab, and then one second after we leave we see the wormhole, and then Kuhkui pretty much tells us to ignore it and go back to the island challenge. For example.
>>
>>33266975
>using Watashi over Ore

Nigga are you gay or something?
>>
>>33267092
私 = perfectly fine and formal, to use with anybody
僕 = I'm a delicate effeminate pansy
俺 = oh man look how cool and le edgy I am
>>
>>33267085
>Here are the plot threads that SM had going on. Note that some may intersect at different points:
>None of the individual plot threads meshed together at all
>They all cut into each other massively
Maybe you're missing the motif of invasive vs. native. That's why we had homegrown goons and a foreign presence twisted into something sinister at the same time. The island challenge is just your gym journey, not like gyms meshed together with whatever shit went down in previous games. The UB stuff was part of the invasive vs. native motif, considering you had interdimensional threats meeting island guardians in a clash. The legendary acted as a bridge between native and foreign, hence being able to create a portal. That's also why the legendaries are considered Pokemon but also UBs -- bridges.
>>
>we felt compelled to tell a story because our characters can make faces

Wow
>>
>>33266840
Not a bad assertion anon. I think that is how the game would have to be. Large areas with open expanses to roam and story when you want it. Not a point A to point B with nothing in between like much of SM
>>
>>33267123
The motif being something is fine, but that doesnt mean it's executed well. It still felt too bloated because they had so many things relating to their themes they wanted to push forward

And yes gyms generally mesh together better. In say, HGSS, or BW, I always feel like I am moving forward to continue my goal, which are the gyms. If the story gets in the way, it is specifically because something related to finding a gym leader or getting side tracked by something on my way to them, or helping them with a task.

In SM, the island challenge feels exceptionally divorced from everything else in a way that leaves me feeling disconnected. A big reason for that is that for half the game, we arent moving forward for our our journey, but for Lillie's
>>
File: 226.gif (738KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
226.gif
738KB, 500x350px
>>33266361
>Skip to 3:22
>"anything is possible"
This is the equivalent of a parent saying "maybe"
>>
>>33267099
what about 我
>>
>>33266361

>Spoiled brats pressure Game Freak to release Switch game in 2018.
>Are angry that Pokemon games can't be open world.

Guys, you do realize that Breath of the Wild took 3-4 years to get developed, right? And it had numerous delays.

Game Freak already has problems developing software for the Switch. If we had a Pokemon open world game for Switch, it wouldn't come out in 2019, let alone 2018.

We're getting a closed world game with a subpar story again. That's all we can expect if we want a Pokemon Switch game soon.
>>
>>33267154
>A big reason for that is that for half the game, we arent moving forward for our our journey, but for Lillie's
I can see where you're coming from, but I much prefer having Lillie be the character to follow than have it be like in X and Y where AZ shows up about halfway through the story and we basically get infodumped. I didn't like the gyms in X and Y either because we never really saw the leaders outside of their gyms (unlike in B&W and even a bit in HGSS) and in the Island challenges I felt that there was this sense of personality too, I can see how they can detract from your experience since they can seem more like silly sidequests than a main plot, but I liked that.
>>
File: 1501004503211.jpg (68KB, 714x831px) Image search: [Google]
1501004503211.jpg
68KB, 714x831px
I loved BotW, but a Pokemon game in that style would be terrible, especially if Game Freak was in charge.
>>
>>33267214
Oh no, I dont dislike the gym concept, but after XY (which was easily it being executed its absolute worst) I can understand being happy for the change.

I also hated how pretty much all of XY's plot happened between the 7th and 8th gyms. No doubt about it. that was the worst story. I would call AZ an infodump too, as he only exists to explain where the weapon comes from, rather than just making the legendary fire the beam itself instead

I'm a minority here, my favourite stories are HGSS and BW2. My love of HGSS also comes from disliking SM's story, as no matter what, you always felt like you were on your own journey and each part of it felt like a new adventure rather than a plot to be carried out from the beginning, and the Kimono Girls even managed to tie it together well without it feeling contrived.
>>
>>33267154
>It still felt too bloated because they had so many things relating to their themes they wanted to push forward
I didn't find it bloated, I found it neat that those were all the ways they established the dichotomy.

>And yes gyms generally mesh together better. In say, HGSS, or BW, I always feel like I am moving forward to continue my goal, which are the gyms. If the story gets in the way, it is specifically because something related to finding a gym leader or getting side tracked by something on my way to them, or helping them with a task.
Maybe your problem is really with the idea that Alola consists of islands rather than a literally connected region. Because there was the Lake of Rage/having to head back to Goldenrod for HGSS, for example.
>>
>>33267300
>I also hated how pretty much all of XY's plot happened between the 7th and 8th gyms. No doubt about it. that was the worst story. I would call AZ an infodump too, as he only exists to explain where the weapon comes from, rather than just making the legendary fire the beam itself instead
Agreed, and the less said about the "rivals" the better. Personally I like BW's story the best, especially since with your "rivals" they seem to be asking questions like "what if a parent didn't want their child to go on a journey" or "what are you supposed to do after becoming the best trainer?". I guess I like SM's story because I don't mind being dragged along in a story.
>>
>>33267339
AZ also just felt like a hollow N clone

And BW's story was great, character wise. I dont find the plot all that amazing compared to most of the fanbase, but it definitely had some of the best rivals and gym leaders, who were all incorporated in the quest well.

>>33267308
Not really, because even though a few threads were coming back over time, you were generally doing different things and you felt less forced along a path. Yeah, the Lake of Rage thing is a side quest distraction, but it was about confronting this crazed Gyarados that was tipping over boats, rather than confronting another tapu because Lillie wants to go, and being stopped by a Team SKull member, and being saved by someone from the island challenge, and they are all coming to you with their own story elements to continue. I admit I'm not sure exactly what makes SM weaker to me when HGSS also had many different elements rather than one continuous story, as looking at it now they are sort of doing similar things, but HGSS doesnt feel bloated
>>
>>33267035
A bit late.Might not even be here.

Im absolutely sure development time is limiting them, but I do think a lot of it is their own mind set as well. I wouldn't expect BotW quality games to be pumped out yearly, but I dont think at least a degree of open endedness is necessarily restricted either. Obviously, not to the same degree, but something.

>was said in the interview they want bonds between Pokemon and humans as the focus

I like this concept, but the way they go about it is so artificial and superficial. Forcing friendships is not just poorly written or anything... its straight up not possible. You cant be friends with a fictional character, so the disconnect in incompatibility is concept-deep.

I like the idea of showing off the bonds between humans and pokemon, but there are way WAY better ways to do so. For arguments sake, lets take a Xenoblade-styled progression format fitted into pokemon. Instead of a saturday morning-esque story told with one character, you could have minor side quests that explore random NPCs and their love of pokemon, or how they were saved, or did the saving. XY had a small taste of that with the old man who wanted a pokemon to spend the end of his life with. Small, but I genuinely liked that.

Alternatively, imagine if Pokemon had extra use in the exploration and psueod-survival aspect of the game. For arguments sake, lets assume the trainer has long-term stamina to maintain and expanded traversal abilities aside from just walking. Pokemon could have additional, but not necessary bonuses to your skills. Fire Pokemon can help start campfires instead of needing flint, Rock Pokemon make climbing easier for the character using less stamina, Grass pokemon increase the quality of food with herbs.. stuff like that, you'd actually experience first hand the bonds between humans and Pokemon. That method happens to the player, and inherently expresses that idea to a much greater degree.
>>
>>33266766
SM have a good story, nothing special but good
Persona is literally the same, good story for anime standars, but nothing special
>>
I think he's kinda right with the open world stuff, like there's nothing wrong with making it seamless, but making it BOTW size would just be boring.
I think they should stick to their guns like Enix and Atlus did with DQ11 and P5 and not fall for open world shit until its proven that its not just a fad and improves games.
>>
>>33267085

>The island challenge
Main goal like in the main series with gym badges.
>Aether Foundation arc
Main villains like Team rocket
>Team Skull arc
Blended in with the Aether paradise as they fucking worked for them.
>Ultra Wormhole and UB related stuff
Wait more Aether foundation tie ins. The main villain was exploring them to get her husband back.
>The legendary plot
Also tied into the ub plot by being the main role in opening the wormholes.

Not sure we even played the same game anymore. Everything tied into each other.
>>
>>33266361
If it was open world like zelda it would be boring. They said open world wouldnt work for pokemon
>>
>>33268807
If all regions and 802 pokemon were in one game I'd argue otherwise.
>>
>>33268874
Only way it would works is if they locked you out of using pokemon from other regions until you beat the league.
>>
>>33268874
It's not about the amount of different species of Pokemon, it's about the fact that encounters would be different.

Masuda said in the video that Pokemons current encounter and fighting system wouldn't work for open world. And it's true. There'd be to many open spaces of nothing to see for the player to go through.

>obviously they'd have Pokemon in the over world to fight duh
People say this all the time, but again, it doesn't work for the fighting mechanics in the series. The spawn system would be terrible for Pokemon, with how you're supposed to encounter Pokemon all the time you'd be seeing clusters of like 100 Pidgy in a small square on the ground. Trainers battles would be even worse, an open world where trainers stand in the middle of open fields with a 1000yard stare to force encounters would be awful.

The only thing an open world Pokemon game would do well in is giving a sense of adventure and exploration, the fight mechanics, NPC encounters outside of cities, and more wouldn't work.
>>
>>33266750
Nice. I totally play Pokemon to see the character's expressions.
>>
>>33268908
Or post-league from your home island scaled battles from that point onward. Like hot battle trees and shit work.
>>
>>33267683
>AZ also just felt like a hollow N clone
Curious as to why you think this. I don't find AZ and N having much in common besides being kings, and even then AZ was an actual king while N was dolled up for daddy's cult.
>>
>>33268943
Make the battles work like in Pokemon Generations then.
>>
>>33266573
>If the enemy were just N or Ghetsis actually believed what he was fighting for BW would be great but Ghetsis being evil/manipulative simplified the story.

Ah, I see you either skipped the post game or never picked up BW2, because if you did you would realize that N did believe in his own ideals until the bitter end, even after being defeated by the MC, whose ideals were different, and even after seeing first hand what Ghetis really had for a motive.

The build up and progression of N from the first game and into what we learn in the second is what makes it far more compelling, and the fact that he was conflicted, yet made good of his word, regardless, simply because he still believed what he was taught, even if Ghetis taught it to him as a means of further manipulating N.

N went from a mysterious rival, to a poorly written one, then into an ally, then right back into a formidable foe, only to have that all reverse once we see the flash backs in BW2, and learn what became of Team Plasma after BW.

I am not a BW / BW2 fan, in fact I like SM more overall, but to say that the plot or overall story of SM was better told, better paced, better written, or better displayed in SM is just a joke.

HOWEVER, do not go getting your autism raging, for I will say this; USM has the potential to tell a new story the right way, or just better tel the first with additional details and shit, similar to how BW2 finished the story of BW. Hell, I hope USM DOES do just that, only because I saw the potential of SM's story fall so flat in the first game and want to see them try again and do it right this time around.

But, hey, even if the story sucks in USM, we can all hope for the Switch game to do it up right!
>>
File: Masuda.png (3MB, 2305x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Masuda.png
3MB, 2305x2000px
I have no opinion one way or the other, but holy shit Masuda's teeth are beat
>>
>>33266361
>play video
>turn on english cc during jap talk
>top fucking kek
>>
>>33268943
>>obviously they'd have Pokemon in the over world to fight duh
>People say this all the time, but again, it doesn't work for the fighting mechanics in the series.
You could have both. Walking in tall grass has the random battle kinda thing that RPGs have been doing for 2 decades. And combine it with the dexnav style sneak up on the rarer pokemon.
ORAS figured this out.
>>
>>33269196
>Generations
Ashnimefag detected
>>
>>33266466
Yet it still sucked. Gamefreak just doesn't have a clue on how to properly do a story.
>>
>>33270160
More like Pokemon is not properly for a story, Pokémon core concept is pretty shit, can't help but be a issue in a story based on them.
>>
>>33266361
They pretty much just confirmed that it won't happen, which is confirmation that they aren't totally retarded. Open world pokemon wouldn't be a core pokemon game in any sense. They'd have to bulldoze over the few mechanics that make pokemon what it is, as they mentioned in the interview.
>>
>>33270160
Ohmori said in this interview than more system power gives them more freedom to tell a story..

Switch game will probably have more story
>>
>>33269091
Because he felt like Gamefreak trying to recreate N, not necessarily in character, but in role as the mysterious character you encounter during the story reated to the evil tea. They even both have letter names

>>33268774
yes, they intersect at many times, I said that.

>>33270316
that sounds like a bad idea
>>
>>33266361

>The spawn system would be terrible for Pokemon...

Don't use the same spawn system. Use an entirely different method. The Pixelmon Minecraft mod made this work really well, I feel. Pokémon in general aren't totally uncommon, but hunting down ones you want always felt very rewarding.

>Trainers battles would be even worse...

I suppose that's another thing that would need to be changed. Perhaps levels of wild Pokémon scale with the distance from civilization, and the closer you are to civilization, the higher amount of trainers you see out and about trying to catch Pokémon. The NPC's don't need to stay still, they're just strategically placed in the current games to keep you on your toes.

I totally agree with you in the sense that these mechanics wouldn't work, but only because they need to be altered to fit the setting. The biggest, most troubling point in development of something like this is the battle system. In order to keep the flow of the game from being broken, turn based battles would need to be replaced with something closer to real-time battles. This wouldn't be a difficult SYSTEM to implement but the development would take ages considering the amount of moves a Pokémon can learn. Every Pokémon would need animations that span all their attacks, including walking, running, jumping, and potentially more. This could possibly be surmounted by assigning attacks to different classes, such as "projectile attack" "melee attack" "field attack" and so on, making it so Pokémon use the same animation for various attacks, just the effects change. Aside from those, I suppose the next two issues would be proper implementation of battle for swimming Pokémon and aerial Pokémon. I'm sure those can be figured out as well.

Tl;Dr: My point is, you are 100% correct that systems would not work in their current state, but with a little thinking, it can definitely be translated to fit the setting.
>>
Gameinformer half an hour talk about Pokemon creations..

Very interesting I recommend everyone to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi4bxT_Bb4c
>>
File: IMG_6623.jpg (29KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6623.jpg
29KB, 500x313px
>>33267085
You're a biggety bitch
>>
>>33266361
>Would an open world Pokémon game work?
>Maybe but we'd have the give the players a really good REASON to go out to catch Pokémon

Am I coming of with the wrong idea here? Do they get that exploring that world and 'catching them all' the original core premise of their games is the reason?! I have never played Pokémon for the 'enthralling' stories the come up with.

I know Niantic has learned nothing from creating GO but come on Game Freak; people will go out, run around, make fools of themselves and even accidentally die to just explore and catch them, with 100% no story needed.
>>
>>33266514
>BW
Opinion instantly disregarded.

Skimming the rest of the thread, Anti-SM fags continue to prove how genuinely autistic they are.
>>
>>33266839
It's not /vp/'s fault that your an autistic sheep who cant form your own opinions
>>
>>33266960
Then there's absolutely no challenge because you just go and catch a level fifty pokemon and sweep through the game.
>>
>>33267082
ah megaman legends, good memories of my childhood
>>
>>33266361
>>33266777
>>33266832
>>33266868

It's not even about "open world" per see
It's about having a main game set in a real 3D world (like Zelda) on a real console instead of shitty "from above" stuff on handhelds

Pic related is how the next pokemon main game's overworld should look like if GF werent lazy cunts
>>
>>33276791
>>
File: pokemon-tournament-neos-city.jpg (101KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon-tournament-neos-city.jpg
101KB, 800x450px
>>33276801
>>
>>33276791
Baindai better than game freak, thats why digimon cyber sleuth is better
>>
File: tellurtownautumn3.jpg (88KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
tellurtownautumn3.jpg
88KB, 800x450px
>>33276809
>>
>>33266466
>>33266514
Honestly I thought XY had the best story.

AZ is the coolest and most mysterious NPC in the franchise.
>>
man i would love an open world pokemon game, imagine green rolling hills as far as the eye can see and actual wildlife that you can see and catch.
>>
>>33276980
Sad it's no happening
>>
Going to have to call bullshit on everything around 6:30.

Providing lots of different play aspects because different things will get different players my ass.

If that were true they wouldn't keep removing shit because they'd realize that people like them all. Not everyone, obviously, but some.
>>
>>33277022
yeah GF is an ok company but they have very little vision and ambition.
>>
>>33266482
>Bonus points for self-awareness and 4th wall breaking.
My hands ache because they can't strangle the life out of you.
>>
>>33267175
They later say that would not work with pokemon unless they changed the gameplay. Like they said, if you want open world play fucking Go.
>>
>>33266823
Honestly, all this is why I think Pokemon would do great with an Open World style. Gamefreak's never been good at executing story. What they are good at are world building. The lore, the dex entries, all the optional stuff tends to be WAY more interesting than the stories they put in and force us to follow

They honestly underestimate themselves in that way. If they'd realize that players would happily seek out the lore themselves with only the loosest story as a starting path, then they could have a pretty awesome game
>>
>>33269224
That is what japanese teeth actually look like.
Thread posts: 117
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.