[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Shitty suggestions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3230.png (300KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3230.png
300KB, 1280x720px
What if there was a Pokemon game that was SLIGHTLY less linear? I want to try come up with a system that allows you to do some of the gyms out of order without fucking shit up like Johto did.

Say for example, gyms 5 and 6 of a region. Or you know, just any sequential pair except for 1-2 and 7-8 for reasons.

Upon beating Gym A, you would have a choice of taking the path to Gym B or Gym C.
Taking Gym B's path and beating it would set an event flag that causes the unfought trainers of Gym C and the path to it to become higher-levelled, maybe even add an extra mon here and there, and unlock a new mandatory path; and vice versa if Path C is taken first along with the unlocking of another mandatory path.

Regardless of what path you take first, both mandatory post-gym paths/quests/etc must be completed afterwards in order to continue progress to Gym D. Maybe completing one of the mandatory things or the first gym unlocks an optional new area to explore with wild Pokemon that match the levels of the other path to compensate for the unaltered mon levels on the mandatory pre-gym path not yet taken.

Do you get where I'm going with this? It'd alleviate the games' linear nature a little if pulled off right. I can try draw up a graph of what I mean if this shit doesn't make sense, but it'll be shit since I'm stuck on mobile at the moment.
>>
I think it makes a lot of sense. It's no secret that the gym leaders have different tiers of pokemon they use in accordance with the skill level of the challenger.

But I feel that implementing that into a game is really hard and might be confusing, especially for the younger crowd which GF is trying to aim towards. Which is one of the reasons why I feel like they never made a sequel for colloseum and gale, cause they were hard and confusing.
>>
>>33262197
I can see what you mean by potentially causing confusion. Still, it's annoying that one side of the fanbase will express ire over the linearity situation regardless of what they do. Older players would dislike the straightness as we've seen with BW and SM, and like you said kids could find it confusing.
>>
File: IMG_4153.png (250KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4153.png
250KB, 2048x1536px
>>33262166
shitty graph and legend ahoy

#: Gym number
B#: Before Gym
G#: Gym
A#: After Gym
#+: Bonus area after Gym
>>
>>33262228
I don't know what the Japanese older audience thinks. Perhaps they like it?

It's certainly a viable possibility in the upcoming switch game since it has a possibility of being open-world. I think it'd be really cool if you could subvert expectations and battle the last gym and work backwards. I can see problems with that as usually, the typings get harder to deal with with dragons being last (usually).
>>
>>33262274
I wish it was easier to see 2ch's opinions about the series.
>>
>>33262278
Apparently, they like XY/ORAS more than SM. SM was really bad for them.
>>
>>33262281
Huh, so SM was pretty controversial amongst them as well. Do they dislike it for the reasons /vp/ does?
>>
>>33262281
That's interesting to me. I liked SM way more than I liked XY. Maybe they don't like the darker tones of particular characters or perhaps its their distaste for the anime spilling over.
>>
>>33262303
Here's a thread from the archives where I learned the information from:
https://archive.nyafuu.org/vp/thread/32747844/#q32748204
>>
>>33262320
...well, that was quite the adventure.
>>
>>33262166
Gen 4 did it first. Wake and Maylene were 5 and 4, and you could do either one first.
>>
>>33262448
Regardless, they all stay at the levels no matter which order you challenge them in. Still, I guess it was a nice way to unlock Fantina.
>>
>>33262166
I think that's the most obvious solution, but I disagree that it would be too hard or confusing. (>>33262197) Most games overall include some branching paths, even stuff like the first Super Mario did in a sense. Of course that's not a 1:1 comparison, but just like >>33262448 said, GF has even done it before. Doing in the manner that OP(>>33262166 , >>33262244) listed is not very labor intensive (basically amounting, in its most derived degree, to including a few new routes, basically setting up the Pokémon sets and levels for two new gyms, and including a few extra flags, without much besides that,) and it would be very easy and rather obvious to say something like "[these two gyms] are the two that you can reach from here, challenge them in whichever order you feel is best." I think that even the most retarded kids with even basic literacy would be able to understand it; not only that, but gf has shown they are increasing navigational aid presence with Rotomdex, meaning that it's much more obvious the direction(s) the player will take.
>>
>>33262448
Gen 1 really.
Koga and Sabrina were interchangeable.
>>
>>33262166
>>33262448
I think I remember doing Wake before Maylene mself actually.

Also going to Sevii before beating Sabrina.

I never break Johto though, force of habit. Feels super odd to me to go to Lake of Rage before even seeing Jasmine
>>
>>33262166
Okay, Flygon's Def and Special Def are now buffed by 40 points each, making it a pseudo-legendary
>>
>>33262688
You can do 6 before 5, but if you do 5 first then you can do 7 before 6
I might be mistaken but is there any reason you actually need to beat Erika 4th?
>>
>>33262448
>>33262688
You could do it the first four gens for sure. Not sure about 5-7 but I'm banking on "no".
>>
>>33263239
No. You need to beat both Erika and Koga before Blaine, but you don't need to beat Erika before Koga.
>>
>>33263239
You can beat her third if you want. You don't get anything from beating Surge, so you can save both him and Sabrina until whenever you feel like it.
>>
>>33262688
After you got Cut and beat Misty to use it, you could do any of the next 4 in any order, actually. It was the Team Rocket bits and Surf that locked you away from the other two meaning if you did Koga you had access to Cinnabar instead as an option.

Though obviously levels weren't modified.

Then of course in Gen 2 you could do choose to do either of the 3 after Morty (since he gave you the ability to Surf). And in Gen 2 Kanto you could do all of them in any order because it was the Team Rocket Grunt power outage bit that locked the areas, not Gym completion.

This is indeed the kind of thing we need to go back to in a BotW style fashion, not just a choice of two at a time, but a choice of at least half of the leaders who trigger level increasing flags.

Which is where BotW failed - the story dungeons of which there were less than normal got EASIER as you went on because no difficulty flags were set and the abilities made everything easier - sure you could turn them off but you shouldn't be programming a game assuming people will not want to actually play it as you intended.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.