[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gen 5

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 13

File: 1502069466400.png (707KB, 715x750px) Image search: [Google]
1502069466400.png
707KB, 715x750px
I hated gen 5, tell me why my opinion is wrong /vp/
>>
>>33257138
You're not wrong
>>
>>33257138
It's a game only some people will like. It doesn't suit your tastes, that's fine.
>>
>>33257138
You're not wrong. Anyone is allowed to hate or love it.
>>
>>33257138
You hated the best generation of pokemon
>>
>>33257138
>I hate quality: the post
>>
The problem with vp is that opinions are opinions, not fact. Stop being part of the problem. If you don't like it that's fine, nobody cares. This kind of thinking is why we have starter wars and butt hurt triggered autists who think that someone's opinion is the end of the world. Please stop.
>>
File: IMG_6403.png (2MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6403.png
2MB, 1334x750px
The Pokemon designs were admittedly very hit or miss, but gen V was the peak of the series mechanically.

Constantly animated sprites, while blotchy, had more actual personality than the flat sprites or 3D models ever did. Its the first and only time they ever dabbled with the idea of a hard mode, even if it was implemented poorly. The story, while silly and campy, was probably the most in-depth and well written is had ever been, much better than VI. Its also the first and only time they have ever tried doing a legitimate, real sequel to a Pokemon game. Even without the challenge mode the pacing of the game was pretty good. It had a plethora of interesting and fun side missions and activities. BW2 are the kings of postgame. The rivals were friendly without being mindless like in VI or VII, and they weren't jerks like in I or II; they had goals and stories of their own. Most of the side characters are memorable, some of my personal favorite gym leaders come from these games. A lot of the region is also very memorable, and they were ambitious with the scenes and camera shots they tried using.

Although I can't say gen V is my favorite, I have to admit it honestly was probably the best the series is ever going to get.
>>
>>33257138
Elaborate if you really want people to tear out your opinion. Otherwise, there's nothing to talk about.
>>
>>33257138
You're not wrong, but I don't understand how you can hate it. The best thing about it was forcing players to only use new Pokemon during their playthrough. There's nothing like saying "this Pokemon looks retarded, but I'll use it anyway," and have it become an absolute bro. The story isn't the greatest, but it's at least tolerable and mostly leaves you to do your own thing. The region was essentially linear, but there was a ton of stuff in each town and route. Hell, I didn't find out until last year that there are four special trainers you can fight in the Celestial Tower in the postgame if you talk to a certain couple in Humilau. The music is also great, especially the fact that each gym has their own theme music.

The waifus are pretty top tier as well.
>>
File: 556.png (62KB, 288x317px) Image search: [Google]
556.png
62KB, 288x317px
you can hate whatever you want I also hate gen 5 for pulling the no old mons bullshit in BW and some shitty designs like the classic "Ice cream amd trash bag",killing the BF and introducing the sequels were GF can be lazy and recycle the whole region and nobody seems to care.

But hey at least tms got infinite and we got some nice waifu mons like Liligant,Maractus,Leavanny,Mienshao,Etc
>>
>>33257138
Its not wrong. But when people say they hated gen 5 or that it was the worst, I always wonder what they think gen 2 supposedly did better.

Gen 5 did a lot right, BW2 had the best postgame of any pokemon game, only remotly matched by Platinum.
The idea of a all-new pokedex was great, it just suffered from leading to a lot of shitty design failures being included for padding, but even then it wasn't much worse than the blandness of Johto.

The region was shit, granted. The story was shit, also granted. I'd argue though that at least in BW2 it was better than HGSS, even if Unova was definitly the blandest designed region.
>>
File: 1502221170984.jpg (21KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502221170984.jpg
21KB, 480x480px
>>33257470
>Waifu Mons
>Maractus
>>
>>33257615
Why unovabortions (and people who really like gen5) often bash Gen2

At least Gen2 give us a whole new region and recycled other instead of recycling just one region.

Also Jotho was full optional dungeons and shit unlike how linear Unova was.

Also nobody seems to mention that gen5 added seasons, granted I did the whole game and post game just in winter why the fuck seasons took so long to change?
>>
>>33257138
As everybody else said, you're not wrong at all. Gen 5 is hot garbage.
>>
>>33257138
The linearity people complain about is surface level since everything gen 3 onward was linear. Gen 5 gave you multiple detours on the main quest and non linear post games.

The amount of clone pokemon is exergerated.

Woobat and Zubat are different to each other in design and typing for example and if you think the Venipede line is a clone of bedrill line I'm sorry but that's pretty dumb.

I don't know what your specific gripes about gen V are but those two are pretty common.

All bad parts of gen five were made worse in gen six and maybe seven as well.
>>
File: 1501457272077.png (759KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1501457272077.png
759KB, 850x1100px
>>33257138
I initially disliked gen V because I remembered it as one blurry ass game. The pokemon were heavily pixelated and saving times often took forever.

However, going back to gen V/b2w2, I found myself enjoying it a bit more. Some pokemon I disliked or forgot about turned out o be a lot of fun.

I used to like only volcarona, but grew to enjoy using lilligant, beheeyem, cofagrigus, excadrill, and galvantula.
The post game content was also fun.

The girls were hot, too.
>>
>>33257138
For one, the music. Not only the standalone songs, but things like how you can add a drum and piano line to accumula town's music by talking to NPCs with instruments or the gym leader's final pokemon.
>>
File: 1499433770423.gif (951KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1499433770423.gif
951KB, 500x384px
>>33257138
You're not out of line at all. But to say the "Zelda Cycle" doesn't exist for Pokemon is silly. In a few years, people will be looking fondly back on Gen V like it was the best thing to happen to the series. But now they're too busy shitting on Gen VII, loving Gen IV, and forgetting Gen VI even existed.

Memes aside, I have mixed feelings about Gen V.
>-Forced to use a bunch of new monsters, a lot of whom became immediately forgotten in the next generation
>-Introduced zero new evolutions and didn't change up the battle system with interesting new mechanics or gimmicks (Triple Battles/Rotation Battles are just a type of battling, not something "game changing" as Abilities, Special Split, Megas, etc.)
>-Crappy starters and a lot of Pokemon ideas that felt like they were already "done better"
>-Ridiculously tedious to transfer up old Pokemon from Gen IV games
>-Hidden Abilities were cool but an absolute a chore to get
>-Dream World
>-The genies
>-Almost all of the pluses I am listing below this were immediately removed from the next two Generations
>+It actually attempted a plot and had a great soundtrack
>+The way the battle music changed when you were winning/dying
>+Elemental gems
>+Post game introduced a lot of new towns and routes. Even if it wasn't a whole second region, it still felt like having much more game left to play.
>+PWT
>+Actual sequel games
>>
>>33257852
All grass types are waifus. Grass will get retconned into Waifu-Type in Gen 8.
>>
>>33257138
I don't know if this makes sense, but something that always bugged me about Gen V is what a radical shift in character and world design for the series.

Playing all the generations since Gen I, it just stands out like a sore thumb. Not sure why. I remember thinking the Gen III Pokemon looked out of place when RS came out, but the world and characters still felt like Pokemon. Gen IV was sort of back to basics, but then Gen V just... felt so odd.

All of the character sprites are taller and look so pixelated against the 3D world. The Pokemon designs were more elaborate and less just "cute monsters." And the world itself suddenly had cars and giant buildings and underwater tunnel.... it was very sudden, I think, for a departure following Gen IV.

And then Gen VI sort of went back to basics again, with Gen VII also feeling a little different in its designs but not nearly as out there as Gen V.

Seriously compare the art for all the generations, particularly things that aren't just Pokemon. Gen V is really, really weird in that regard when compared to the other generations. Even the personalities and dialogue of the characters was different.
>>
>>33258326
The Pokémon Cycle is more like "which game I grew up with", anyway.

And while you're being more fair that almost everyone else in this thread, let alone the board, you're neglecting some positives, like some old pokémon getting fantastic buffs through new hidden abilities, how quickly battles seem to take place compared to other gens, and TMs becoming reusable. I'm sure there are several other factors, pro and con alike, that we're both forgetting, but it gets less objective at a point.

tl;dr (You) and >>33257229 are the best posts in this thread
>>
>>33257229
Good post
>>
Gen V was supposed to be a new start for the series, a sort of soft reboot that would breathe new life into the franchise and start taking the games in a new direction. Unfortunately, it was so thoroughly rejected that GF had to go in the complete opposite direction so as distance new games as far from Gen V as possible. Instead of expanding upon the good ideas Gen V had, they instead took the shitty parts and made them worse. Like it or not, Gen V, and the reaction to it, is probably the most influential generation to the series as a whole.
>>
Gen 5 was the best the games ever got out of battle

In battle is a different story, I'd say they were definitely worse than what came immediately before and after in terms of battling just because weather wars were the worst thing
>>
>>33257138
Great taste mate
>>
If you ask me, it was refreshing having nothing but new pokemon to catch, and I personally enjoyed the story a lot. Also, the human designs were some of the best in the series. The rivals were no Blue, but they were far better than "I'm going to fine you" every five minutes. While some people don't like the new pokemon designs, I do, which helps. I also liked it being based in the USA rather than Japan, but that's little to do with the game. I will never understand calling any pokemon game more linear than another, because they are all pretty linear. More than that, just because something is linear doesn't mean it's bad. It was also cool what BW1 did with Ghetsis and N in place of a champion, shaking up that formula just a bit. Perhaps one of my favorite things in the gen was how much it played with the music. It was cool how certain towns and routes would alter their themes depending on what you interacted with. And BW2 took this theme even further with the awesome gym theme remixes. I also have a little bit of bias for it because it came out just as I was starting to understand competitive battling.
All this coming off the shitshow that was "saving a lot of data..." made me fall in love with gen 5 with relative ease.
>>
>>33257229
I remember next to nothing about BW story like literally I can't tell you what the hell was it about, it was that forgettable
>>
>>33257470

>he thinks gen V introduced region recycling

That's been a staple of the series since the beginning. Gen V was the least terrible, actually. There was a whole new section of region instead of a straight rehash.
>>
>>33257138
Gen 5 introduced some of the best Pokemon in the game.
>>
>>33257138
Because taste is different in every person, and we allshould be mature enough to realize this. Is like food

Maybe I like spicy food, and maybe you don't like spicy food

AND THAT'S FUCKING FINE

tl;dr Black White 2 are the best
>>
File: 1499813347605.png (407KB, 823x720px) Image search: [Google]
1499813347605.png
407KB, 823x720px
>>33258872
With emphasis on the word "some"
>>
>>33258702
Time to replay it. I like to replay the games every few months, and in doing so I tend to either solidify my opinions or create new ones. Most games are still fun overall, so I suggest you try it to broaden your viewpoint - especially if you don't remember it.
>>
>>33257138
I can't, because it is your opinion. Opinions can't exactly be wrong, even if they are shit but it still is your opinion and you are entitled to it, like any human with free will.
>>
File: Mei tongue.png (556KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Mei tongue.png
556KB, 640x640px
I liked BW2 a lot, but it's not my favorite games in the series, and I feel like people here overhype it a lot too.
Not sure why everyone has to be so polarizing in saying something's either the best thing ever or pure garbage, with no inbetween.
>>
I think gen 5 was a nice surprise. It was an unexpected gen. At the time the idea that we'd have two gens during one console gen was pretty out there.

Many of the pokemon felt like they were really trying to actively be different, which was nice.

The villains were cool. N was 10/10 boyfriend material
>>
Your opinion is wrong. There, that was not so hard.
>>
>>33257138
Why do u seek opinions from us on your opinion anon? Its my fav gen it doesnt mean ill be bashing u for it. You like what u like i like what i like.
>>
I liked BW a lot more the first time I played it. It was pretty good for a story. The later 3 postgame towns were okay, but I wasn't really feeling it the second time around. Maybe it's that they all feel kind of muted for a lack of a better word. Having Alder as a rematch also felt a bit anti climactic for me, but I don't really know how to explain it that well.
BW2 on the other hand was the opposite. It was postgame that made the game for me. The three new towns were pretty okay, but after a while, maybe after Driftveil, it just felt like it was just cleanup for the first game's story. Sure there was Colress, but even battling the ice sage wasn't really all that exciting. N and Ghetsis had better teams in the first games too. I know that the weather gimmick kinda fits N, but his last team and his slightly stronger mons from the surrounding area teams were nice.
The Pueblo town didn't do much for me, and the construction at Undella felt like they just needed to connect the map. I was also dissapointed that the art of half of Unova freezing over didn't happen. I thought Kyurem was pulling some Kyogre and Groudon level insanity, but it was just Opelucid due to a freeze cannon and an ice slide puzzle.
Iris was a fun boss though. The game exclusive town and going to the lower left of Unova was surprisingly fun. I also liked the optional ruins under Driftveil. PWT was nice, but I would've preferred more variety. Not trainer cameo wise of course.
>>
File: 19203902340238.png (491KB, 1846x500px) Image search: [Google]
19203902340238.png
491KB, 1846x500px
>>33257138
Gen V has the best bugs
>>
>>33257164

go to a different website retard. arguing about stupid shit no one cares about and flinging insults is the basis of 4chan
>>
File: 1497404094154.png (708KB, 793x596px) Image search: [Google]
1497404094154.png
708KB, 793x596px
>>33261744
>hearts
>>
>>33261769
>muh 4chan culture
Keep whining like a bitch, faggot.
>>
File: IMG_0528.png (676KB, 720x712px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0528.png
676KB, 720x712px
>>33262050

that's the spirit
>>
>>33262057
Thank you for believing in me, senpai.
>>
>>33261744
Gen 7 had best bugs though

>Golisopod
>Araquanid
>Vikavolt
>Ribombee
>Buzzwole
>Pheromosa
>>
>>33258702
Maybe it's because you have a child's understanding of the story narrative.
>>
Gen 5 was my least favorite as well, but I can respect it as a Pokémon game. Most of the Mons were fine with me and I actually really liked a few, it was just that the aesthetics of Unova ruined the game for me. I found the game extremely ugly in comparison to Sinnoh, which was obviously the region I had become accustomed to. Unova assaulted my fucking senses and felt really cluttered. Just my opinion, though.
>>
>>33257138
You aren't wrong, everyone has different tastes and youre entitled to your opinion
Gen 5 specifically also happened to be incredibly flawed, more so than any other generation, so your opinion is completely understandable
>>
File: opinion.jpg (36KB, 292x412px) Image search: [Google]
opinion.jpg
36KB, 292x412px
>>33257138
It's okay to have different opinions. Some people on /vp/ believe you should enjoy every Gen, but it's okay to not like certain gens. Hell, it's okay to not like certain Pokemon. There's over 800 of them. I know there's plenty of people that aren't big fans of the gens I like, that's fine.

The only people that can't accept this fact are autists.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.