[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were 3D models a mistake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 40

File: 1502163318766.png (62KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1502163318766.png
62KB, 1000x1000px
Were 3D models a mistake?
>>
Yes but you can toggle them on Pokemon Showdown so it is no big deal
>>
Eh... I don't really like them that much. They did a good job with them but I don't like the way the 3d games look. I wish they would either go back to the old 2d versions or not shut down any pokemon fan projects like pokemon uranium.
>>
>>33253336
>blaming 3D models instead incompetent 3D modellers

Idiot.
>>
Give it time. I think after a few years the kinks in the 3d models will be ironed out. Plus, why is mr mime in that pic? He looks better when animated.
>>
>>33253389
I was actually being kind with my image... didn't include any birds.

Marshtomp, Victreebel are both examples of the problem with 3d models regardless of who is modelling them
>>
>>33253336
Mr. Mime's animations are great
>>
>>33253403
I would believe this if they were actually ironing anything out in past models, but only newly added stuff is improving. They all suffer from static posing though which is something previous 3D Pokemon games were better about.
I would be more lenient if they fixed one or two old models per game but sans ONE (Glameow) they have not.
>>
File: nSGDoTl[1].gif (49KB, 158x137px) Image search: [Google]
nSGDoTl[1].gif
49KB, 158x137px
Depends how they use them.
>>
>>33253413
>>
No, some of the decisions concerning them were though.

Mr. Mime is great in 3D by the way.
>>
Evidently, not at all. Those all range from net zero to improvement.
>>
The real problem is people using gifs of 3D models on 2D backgrounds for fan games. Looks like shit.
>>
>>33253336

Mr. Mime shouldn't be there, the 3d model portrays him as the weird/creepy/quirky freak that it really is, the sprites just make it look like a pink clown
>>
>>33253336
Having bad animations/posing was a mistake. I didn't save them but there are fan versions of some Pokemon idle animations that look worlds better than the official ones.
>>
>>33253336
Why can't gf make better models and fix the framera? WHYYYYYY?!
>>
3D models are better, fucking nostalgia fags.
>>
>>33253593
>>
File: pity (you).gif (414KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
pity (you).gif
414KB, 480x238px
>>33253593
Pity (you) only because I always feel bad for people with down syndrome
>>
>>33253336
no
>>
>>33253651
Ok, serious question. I've been away from 4chan for 2 years. What the fuck is with the (you) stuff? Did reddit actually invade and think a (you) is an upvote or is this some fucking troll thing cause that's not how this works.
>>
>>33253336
exadrill looks better in 3d.
>>
>>33253666
Then lurk more idiot, it has nothing to do with upvotes. If you weren't half brain dead then you'd realize I was being sarcastic with my previous post. Hardly upvote at all
>>
File: 1483064273503.png (163KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1483064273503.png
163KB, 500x500px
Models weren't a mistake, but the animations and decision to wash out the colors to mimic the official art were.
>>
>>33253336
GameFreak/Genius Sonority's pre Battle Revolution models are great. GameFreak's Gen V animations are terrible. Like legitimately terrible because many pokemon who usually had dynamic poses got replaced with generic idle poses.
>>
The pale colors are the problem for me.
>>
>>33253673
Just making sure. I've been seeing it around and it's cringe as fuck, just wanted to make sure it's not serious.
>>
File: GR_040_front[1].png (3KB, 56x56px) Image search: [Google]
GR_040_front[1].png
3KB, 56x56px
Yeah. 2d was so much better.
>>
>>33253666
Basically both. Like how people had been using sage as a downvote for years to the point they had to make it invisible.

It's not really a Reddit thing though, just a fag thing.
>>
>>33253336
how can you compile a list of bad 3D models but somehow not include the flying pokémon?

also mr.mime is probably one of the best transitions to 3D
>>
File: 1310717344467.jpg (12KB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
1310717344467.jpg
12KB, 255x255px
>>33253689
You mean a bait? Of course people are going to post things to get a response, but people would ignore bait.

I dunno, I'm going to lurk but times have changed. Have an exhausted Umbreon.
>>
File: smugveon.png (131KB, 800x705px) Image search: [Google]
smugveon.png
131KB, 800x705px
>>33253688
wrong, fag
>>
What bothers me is that they made the models to futureproof the games.

But then they took the design decision of including sky battles and had to adapt models so they would fit on such battles.

Then sky battles are gone and we're stuck with those shit models.
>>
Go emulate Stadium 2 and weep at what could have been if Game Freak wasn't Game Freak.
>>
>>33253728
I predict it'll be better next gen. Not in ultra sun/moon though. Definitely not.
>>
>>33253336
i think most of them look fine, but...why did they do that to me boy typhlosion
>>
>>33253788
Yeah i think they will fix some of the animations
>>
>>33253413
>>33253689
>namefagging
>>
>>33253336
No, because they're a significant step up from sprites and breath whole new levels of personality into every single Pokemon.
>>
>>33253336
I really have absolutely no idea what was going through their head when they thought Purrloin standing on two legs was a logical and good idea.
>>
am i the only one who is triggered as fuck by the victreebel before/after
>>
>>33253336

no
>>
>>33253888
Why?
>>
>>33253413
truth
>>
>>33253905
the shape... the colors... it goes from a cool looking, menacing pokemon to a literal blob
>>
>>33253858
how new are you
>>
>>33253848
l m a o
>>
>>33253701
I actually prefer (you) to the bait pictures.
>>
>>33253587
Yeah the models are (mostly) great, but they have pretty lame poses and don't move nearly enough.
>>
>>33254015
>can't think of an argument
>lul how new are you
>>
>>33254034
argument? we aren't arguing. I was just wondering how new you are since I've been namefagging for months and you're only just noticing
>>
>>33253685
>I'll pick Gen 1 sprites instead of Gen 5 sprites, that'll show them
>>
>>33254042
Im just wondering why you are namefaging. ive been here for a year and a half
>>
>>33253336
No, not at all.
Their main issue however is that they're washed out and lack character, see Marshtomp and Typhlosion stood there looking gormless.
>>
>>33254051
and you're only just asking me?
>>
>>33254055
no, im just want an answer
>>
File: filter.png (3KB, 354x87px) Image search: [Google]
filter.png
3KB, 354x87px
>>33254064
Filter the fucking name
>>
>>33254096
cant. Im on mobile
>>33254055
I'm gunna asume your an attention whore than
>>
>>33254113
Dumb phoneposter
>>
No, but this thread was
>>
>>33254117
not dedicated to 4chan enough to post on my laptop
>>
>>33253336
Yes but the problem is they can fix them
The sprites are in dynamic poses and there is no reason the models can't be, seeing as how they are 3D models and can be tweaked to be in any stance

There is no reason for example why Typhlosion should look like a retarded bear thing with a hunch back, when they could have very easily replicated the sprite pose in 3D
>>
>>33253958
If the Pokemon can't manage to remain like that regardless of instances it means it always was a shitty literal blob.

>>33253823
Because you're underage.
>>
>>33253336
If you use them as static images with no animation, then yes you fucking brainless retard
>>
>it's a "people don't know the difference between textures, models, and animations; and don't realize that the sprites were oversatured rather then the models being undersattured" episode
>>
File: 1497213486054.png (387KB, 945x572px) Image search: [Google]
1497213486054.png
387KB, 945x572px
Yes
>>
>>33254403
The only oneof those that's actually a problem with the model rather then just the animation is haxorous.

What's even your complaint about mamoswin'es pose?
>>
>>33254420
>responding to someone retarded enough to put Exploud in there
>>
>>33253336
No. The mistake were those models. In other hands could have be amazing.
>>
>>33253666
Yes. They'll try to defend it and say it's not a reddit thing, but it's definitely a reddit thing. People will ask for (you) the same way reddit does with upvotes, and they'll make intentionally shitty posts, in an attempt to get more upvotes. They also had to add wordfilters for t b h, f a m, and s m h, because twittertards kept spamming their stupid acronyms, and ironic shitposting is at an all-time high, because reddit started doing it.

To say this shithole went downhill is an understatement.
>>
>>33253336
All they need are better poses and better idle animations. In some cases the proportions could be tweaked.
>>
>>33254403
I never realised just how dumb and lifeless the 3d models are, wow. I kinda feel bad, they don't look like they want to fight at all... They don't look like they even know where they are, like they're wondering whether they left the oven on at home by accident.
>>
>>33254403
Why couldn't I just get ONE more game with B2W2 sprites ;-;
>>
>>33254587
Right? They lack the oomph, they're duh, they don't have the mmmmh, they're missing the gamefeel, etc other retarded buzzwords you might think of.
>>
>>33254373
>it's a smartass feels the need to point this out every thread even though it doesn't matter episode
>it's a retard who thinks sugi art is end all be all definitive color for pokemon even though every other official source has more saturated colors episode
>>
>>33254713
I'm not that guy, but 'dumb' and 'lifeless' aren't buzzwords, you nitwit.
>>
>>33254713
>>33254723
>does not say 'dumb' or 'lifeless'
>bashes him for saying 'dumb' and 'lifeless'
I guess we know who's actually dumb and lifeless.
>>
>>33254735
Read the comment chain and use context retard.
>>
>>33254723
Dumb may be not, lifeless is. It doesn't even mean anything in this case, considering the models move constantly unlike the sprites and can take those very poses and much else.

Like, the only legit bad ones in the picture above are maybe Venusaur, Tangrowth, Tyranitar and Blastoise. Everything else is autism, especially Luxray.
>>
>>33254028
Move too much, you mean. Nothing on this planet is in constant motion like they do in 3D modeled games. Even autists stimming don't make random motions so often. As one, I would know.

There is no reason whatsoever for things to be in constant motion except to distract people with mental deficiencies like ADHD, OCD, and severe autism from the fact that the game they're playing is terrible.

Breathing? Walking? Attack animations? Sure. Anything else? Annoying garbage. I mean, I am in constant motion, swaying back and forth and whatnot when I'm standing "still". But that's not normal - that's part of the autism.

Only a mental invalid wants their game characters inflicted with autism because that's what the constant motion denotes. Autism spectrum symptoms worse than people with autism experience.
>>
File: blastoise.gif (820KB, 276x260px) Image search: [Google]
blastoise.gif
820KB, 276x260px
>>33254750
>the models move constantly unlike the sprites

It's almost like the people on this board didn't even play the Pokemon games. Hmm... Really makes you think!
>>
>>33254738
>implying that anon wasn't referring to the buzzwords he was saying in his own post

The irony is fucking gold. Not everyone is out to get everyone else.
>>
>>33254801
>>implying that anon wasn't referring to the buzzwords he was saying in his own post

Except he wasn't you retard. Just because you intrepreted it wrong doesn't mean everyone else should.
>>
>>33254750
>life·less
>ˈlīfləs/
>adjective
>lacking vigor, vitality, or excitement.
>"my hair always seems to look lifeless"

Fuck off with your buzzword meme and start learning the English language. He's saying they're lifeless because they're just fucking standing there in battle with no interest. Compare Blaziken's XY idle animation to its Colosseum idle animation and GF's incompetency becomes immediately obvious.
>>
>>33254787
Only Gen V though. And that's hardly movement. Why would Blastoise keep its arms out like that while bobbing up and down? Why does every single mon bob up and down 24/7? Are they mentally challenged? Why doesn't it move differently when it attacks? Why doesn't it move differently when it's hit? Why doesn't it move differently when it's defeated? Why doesn't it move differently when it's sent out?

That's not even going on how shit Gen V sprites as a whole were. HGSS Blastoise, that was a good one, looked menacing and did a slow but heavy stomp when entering the field, and it was good like that in a non retarded position unlike its other gen 4 colleagues.

Now post about how i am autistic or something for writing this shit.
>>
Like with most things, there's room for tweaks and improvements for sure, but I think they're pretty great overall. There's a few clunky ones, but they can't all be winners; it's not like all the sprites were, either.

For me, it's mostly the Flying Pokémon issue that stands out, along with some of the poses, but that's nothing that can't potentially be fixed.
>>
No, the mistake was the animations given to the models
>>
File: NETS.jpg (431KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
NETS.jpg
431KB, 1600x1064px
>>33254837
You are autistic, but so am I. So I can always let that slide.

You are, however, doing pic related.

Though I completely agree about the HGSS sprites, those were the best overall.
Pokemon designs look best when they're frozen in a cool pose, and HGSS was the last time they did it right.
>>
>>33254836
>Compare Blaziken's XY idle animation to its Colosseum idle animation
You mean the one where C. Blaziken is CONSTANTLY doing the same lay-low bobbing animation? Unlike XY where it actually does a little other animation(similar to the C. pose) once in a while to spice it up?

GC games have better defeated animations, and sometimes hit animation(Sableye anyone?), sometimes even idle(Houndoom?) but the rest? Yeah no. They don't even have an intro, they just gigantize from thin air.

>>33254867
What goals did i move, exactly? 3D mons always did everything i listed in every game they were in, and there were no excuse to not let the sprites do that too, at least since the GBA era. I can't stress enough how Golden Sun was better than Pokemon.
>>
File: blastoiseparts.png (4KB, 233x72px) Image search: [Google]
blastoiseparts.png
4KB, 233x72px
>>33254787
It's incredible how much work they put into these animated sprites for such a middling result and only to use them in two games before swiftly moving on to yet another total conversion of the visuals.

>>33254905
The GCN models were alright, but the model set as a whole was super lazy. The gen 1/2 Pokemon were LITERALLY slightly improved copy+pastes of the fucking N64 models, and they carried them over YET AGAIN to Wii.
>>
I just despise some of the move animations. Certain Z-moves with mons look so fucking dreadful, like Toucannon with the flying one. It just looks so fucking bad.
>>
File: 1502316331219.jpg (20KB, 178x179px) Image search: [Google]
1502316331219.jpg
20KB, 178x179px
>>33254905
>What goals did i move, exactly?

The original argument was that "lifeless" isn't a word that applies to the 3D models here, with your reason being that the 3D models are always moving vs. the static 2D sprites.

I countered with the fact that the 2D sprites in question are in fact always moving.

You changed your argument to "yeah but that's HARDLY movement", which is moving the goalpost.

I don't really care anymore at that point since I gotta sleep and I actually agree with a lot of your other points. I was just pointing out that your original statement in this chain was wrong.
>>
They could easily fixed the sprite problem.
1. Fix the colours, all the pokemon look super pale compared to the 2D counterparts.
2. More dynamic static poses.
Pokemon like tysplosion would benefit from this alot.
3. Have them move a bit more so they seem more like living things and not yugioh holograms.
4. Moves need to do a better job at looking like they are coming from the pokemon. Fucking Pokemon stadium had this down but nowe we gotta wait for switch to see if they get it right
5. Textures like in pokken. Obviously you couldn't feasibly do it on that magnitude for almost 1000 creatures but seriously, they all look like happy meal toys made of the same plastic right now.
>>
>>33253336
Whats wrong with Victreebel?
>>
>>33255108
Autism, like the rest of this thread.
>>
>>33253336
It's inevitable. 3D models take less work to implement than making new sprites for each and every game one you make the base model. Some of them definitely could be improved, though.

Also, the Mr. Mime model is amazing.
>>
there is completely nothing wrong with 3d models themselves
there is nothing wrong with most of the idle animations either, they're not as active as in gen v because pokemon have actual attack animations now
gliding idle animations are a problem
washed out colors aren't a big deal and work better when the camera zooms in on a pokemon

last time you faggots tried to "fix" the colors you made them completely oversaturated anyway, moreso than the old sprites, so it's not like most of you have much authority on the matter (or aren't underage who migrated here because of youtube)
>>
File: 3D Models - Colosseum (1).png (114KB, 473x220px) Image search: [Google]
3D Models - Colosseum (1).png
114KB, 473x220px
>>33253336
No, Gen 6 & 7 models are just trash.
>>
>>33253336
>>33254403
>>33255612
>Hey guys. I noticed that when I cherrypicked to find the absolute worst models and the absolute best sprites, it seems like models aren't as good as sprites!

Besides that, the amount of things that have come with 3d models (Poke-amie is the biggest one, but the detailed and life-like animations show up in battles, too) overweigh the negatives.
>>
>>33253336
they ruined the cyndaquil line by not having him have constant fire thats all
>>
>>33253336
You do know the whole Typhlosion having the fire on at all times was a thing since Stadium Two right?
>>
>>33253336
3D was a mistake. Pokemon should have always been sprites.
>>
No.
Gen 5's sprites were very very lazily animated and were a pain to look at. Plus if you pay attention, there was a clash in styles - gen 5's pokemon and the pokemon of prior generations had a distinctly different style of pixel art, resulting in a rather awkward dissonance. It was an ugly gen, get over it.

Gen 6 onward had multiple unique animations for each pokemon depending on the type of move they used, unique fainting animations, unique cry animations, and a pokedex which let you view pokemon from any angle. I've seriously spend hours in the pokedex just marveling at each pokemon's beautifully-crafted model.

You're cherry-picking. You're choosing the boring static poses (which admittedly are a flaw, but compared to gen 5 it's nothing), and using them to somehow represent the models as a whole.

And that's simply unfair.
>>
>>33254420
Haxorus' arms should be lower down and he should have an extra neck plate, he'd look so much better
>>
>>33256189
They're not supposed to have their fire out 100% of the time. That's not how the line works. Their fire only blazes when they attack. Which they do if you use them ingame.
>>
>>33253336

there is no excuse that gamefreak didn't work on these during ORAS when gamefreak recycled so much
>>
>>33256264
I'd like for them to take liberties with the models if it means they look better. I'd accept them having their flames out all of the time in battle simply because they look like shit without them.
>>
typhlosion model is cuter
>>
>>33256264
And Torkoal isn't supposed to blow smoke 100% of the time. And yet that didn't stop them. It was easier to model this way. That's the only reason for it.
>>
I like 3D a lot more but this is the first time I'm seeing that cat (Purrloin?) standing up, wtf?
>>
>>33256339

It's probably easier to animate 2d bipedal so they did it where feasible.
>>
>>33256348
It's probably easier to animate Snorlax flying too, let's make it happen! It totally makes sense!
>>
The models are fine you idiot, it's just their stance animation. You know nothing about game design...fuck off.
>>
>>33256362

Nah, marshtomp looks like a bulbous, brainless Ralph Wigum, and that doesn't change during attack animations.

Sprite marshtomp looks cute
>>
>>33253868
Jej is this delusion or mental retardness?
>>
File: 1477366678939.png (10KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
1477366678939.png
10KB, 400x200px
>the models are fine
>the problem is the colors/ the animations
No, most of the models got fucked up in the proportions department.
Problem is that unlike Blastoise, whose proportion problems are easy to spot, most model errors are very subtle a people lack eye for details.
>inb4 "you're cherrypicking" fallacy
The fact that people tend to use the ones that got most fucked over doesn't mean they're wrong.

Also, we all know that GF will never fix the models outside of blatant design errors like Glameow. Why would they?
>>
File: 1385270473785.png (235KB, 584x209px) Image search: [Google]
1385270473785.png
235KB, 584x209px
>>33256444
>>
File: a31.jpg (45KB, 556x312px) Image search: [Google]
a31.jpg
45KB, 556x312px
>>33253336
>it's another "I only play Showdown so I didn't know the models had more animations than just their idle pose" thread
>>
>>33254403
>picking the worst Arcanine sprite

Why did they even bother making an original sprite for Gen V?
>>
File: Arcanine-HGSS.png (1KB, 80x80px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanine-HGSS.png
1KB, 80x80px
>>33256525
Eh, it's not that bad. But this one is definitely the best ingame Arcanine we've had.
>>
>>33256435
>a still image of a pokemon, possibly with cheap poorly-executed animations, is less lifeless than a model of a pokemon with an idle animation, another idle animation, an entrance animation, a fainting animation, a physical attack animation, and a special attack animation
>>
>>33254560
desu senpai baka
>>
>>33256518

They still look bad during attacks most of the time

the model you see the most often shouldn't be the worst

>not immediately turning off animations
>>
>>33253871
>I really have absolutely no idea
Do you actually, honestly mean that? Are you being literal and not figurative?
Have you thought about it for some time and found yourself unable to come up with any *idea* for why that could be the case, even if you can't be certain?
IT'S BECAUSE OF FURRIES, YOU COMPLETE IDIOT.
>>
>>33256444
models have no blatant proportion issues, it's sprites that had to make compromises in order to fit into a tiny canvas and look good
>>
>>33256704
>models have no blatant proportion issues
>>33256444
>most model errors are very subtle and people lack eye for details
Did you even read the post you quoted or you just looked at the pic of Blastoise?
>>
>>33255612

I think you're confusing model with pose. The models are fine.
>>
I will say this much - models look 1000x better with outlines removed.
>>
>>33256451
>that JUST tier model
Disgusting
>>
File: 1502381169935.png (27KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1502381169935.png
27KB, 720x1280px
>>33254113
>>33254123
Don't tell me you browerpost and don't even use Dashchan?
Disgusting.
>>
>>33253336
yes. especially 3D overworld
>>
>>33257101
>dashchan
wat
>>
>>33253336
No but a lot of older mons need more expresive poses and animations
>>
>>33253336
>still thinking purrloin was meant to be sitting
>>
>>33254403
>>33253336
For me personally, there's this uncanny valley effect when they do the jump to 3D. The sprites look fine because you accept that they're just artwork of dynamic poses. But on the models everything looks too smooth and static. And why do the colors look so pale and faded out?

The exaggerated art style of Pokemon just doesn't work in 3D.
>>
>>33254051
>ive been here for a year and a half
I want newfags to die
>>
File: 1499569152596.jpg (82KB, 625x313px) Image search: [Google]
1499569152596.jpg
82KB, 625x313px
Is this actually relevant and accurate?
>>
>>33257238
I'm pretty sure if they could figure out how to make Mario work in 3D, they can make Pokemon work in 3D.

I do see your point with the issues of the static posing and the pale colors. They do need to spend time reworking how shit's translated from the official art to the models. Hell, just limiting the use of a basic, boring standing pose for any most Pokemon would improve things by leaps and bounds.
>>
>>33257366
It's accurate, it's a known fact. Is it relevant to pokemon? Not right now. Textures in particular can get way way better.
>>
File: 1488255335810.png (483KB, 547x593px) Image search: [Google]
1488255335810.png
483KB, 547x593px
>>33253405
>he doesn't prefer this over sprites
>>
>>33255612
>left
>stays like that indefinitely
>right
>does left once in a while

>>33256264
>responding to underage that think that Cynda line's lack of fire is a new thing

>>33256339
>>33256348
Or maybe it's because it's standing up in every single other piece of media. Completely normal considering it's a goddamn Meowth expie.
>>
>>33253336
Depends, Colosseum's models were great but the 3ds' ones are bad.
>>
File: blaz.png (550KB, 1488x646px) Image search: [Google]
blaz.png
550KB, 1488x646px
>>33257597
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>33256339
I think it also stands on two in the anime
>>
>>33253336
gen 6 and 7 have good 3d models, older pokemon have bad models
>>
>>33253423
>They all suffer from static posing though which is something previous 3D Pokemon games were better about.
Colosseum and PBR went way over the top with animations though. Most Pokémon breathed so heavily in their static animations that they genuinely looked like they were about to die.
>>
>>33253336
with all that lag? Hell yes
>>
>>33254403
These look fine though
Honestly, the gen 5 moving sprites were uglier across the board
>>
>>33254560
After you've been here long enough you notice the decline is constant to the point that it is the nature of the site. It's not like quality ever goes up or stays the same. The nature of the site is a constant decline with random spikes that don't last long.

You can hate SM as much as you want but during the times of leaks, announcement, and release the board flourished.
>>
File: 112.png (5KB, 192x82px) Image search: [Google]
112.png
5KB, 192x82px
>>33253336
Yes
>>
>>33257780
This one actually pisses me off, I love rhydon but 3D model of it looks hideous
>>
File: 9-Tiger-Bunny-capture.jpg (28KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
9-Tiger-Bunny-capture.jpg
28KB, 500x259px
>>33257675
>Rhydon
>>
they better put in some real effort into fixing all the shitty ones for the switch game
>>
File: 009.png (4KB, 176x83px) Image search: [Google]
009.png
4KB, 176x83px
>>33257794
I know how you feel, most of my favorites got horrible 3D models.
>>
>>33257834
You could at least post the only good sprite, the HGSS one, instead of the gen 5 shitpiles you keep on posting.
>>
>>33257863
The Rhydon is from HGSS, retard.
>>
>>33253405
Am I the only one who seriously doesn't give a fuck about the gliding animations?
>>
>>33253405
>didn't include any birds.
I really wish you had, so I could have pointed out how fewer than 10 Pokemon even glide.
>>
>>33253336
I wish they would at least revert Purrloin to quadruped. Meowth was an interesting case, haha neat, look at it, trivia, etc. Purrloin was its own thing, but gf had the "xXx_ĢЯ3Λ7_ÏĐЭĂ_xXx" to make it copy Meowth, and now everyone nee to the franchise as of gen 6 who has never played gen V (and won't) will use it as a new pawn to claim that Purrloin is garbage, gen V is garbage, and new Pokémon overall are garbage compared to gen 1.
>>
>>33253336
It sucks that they clearly were futureproofing themselves with the quality of these models. Would be nice to see them retouch some of them, especially the Flying-types forced to fly. I would hate if some of these models were the ones they settled on for the Switch game.
>>
>>33254045
Gen 5 looked like shit, they brought back a graphical problem not seen since Gen 1, and that bastardized tweening they call animated looked awful.
>>
>>33257366
The idea that there are diminishing returns on polygon count for model quality is true, but the image itself is inaccurately portraying this.

The only model that they ever crafted was the 6000 polygon count model. The other models were created mathematically using the original one. The left two were made by merging together polygons to reduce the polygon count, by taking the three most distant points of all polygons in a group and creating a polygon using those three points. The rightmost one was made by subdividing the existing polygons into new ones.

Other than the original one, none of those models look as good as they could be if they were intentionally made to represent that person with that polygon count from the beginning.
>>
File: mimeMoreLikeMeme.gif (208KB, 75x76px) Image search: [Google]
mimeMoreLikeMeme.gif
208KB, 75x76px
>>33253336
mr mime doesnt belong on there, I love his 3d animation
>>
For real, though... the point of the 3d models was to make them more animated. Taking a stillframe and putting it next to another sprite isn't a good comparison. That being said, the flying pokemon are shit now.
>>
>>33255108
It's floating for some reason
>>
>>33253582
This. Movement matters a lot.
>>
>>33254403
Main problem is the washed out colors. The models are not as ugly as those screencaps make them look.
>>
File: 1463888506275.png (345KB, 442x579px) Image search: [Google]
1463888506275.png
345KB, 442x579px
>>33258430
Honestly the sprite animations looked better than the lifeless idle animations we have now, despite the pixelation and tweens.

It was said before, and I'll say it again:

Models weren't the problem. It's only natural that we've taken the next step into improving the graphics. The problem was making them too high poly for the 3DS to handle, having static animations, and washing out the colors a little too much.
>>
>>33253555
>Those all range from net zero to improvement.
that marshtomp is not an improvement.
>>
>>33253666
>I've been away from 4chan for 2 years. What the fuck is with the (you) stuff?
that's been a thing for longer than 2 years.
>>
ITT: "3d models weren't in my childhood Pokemon games so I don't like them"
>>
3D models were inevitable,and besides we already have people complaining about lack of improvement on the gameplay, are we seriously going to want the graphics to stay the same too?
>>
>>33253336
Yes. Without a doubt.
>>
>>33254905
>You mean the one where C. Blaziken is CONSTANTLY doing the same lay-low bobbing animation?

Yes. Which is much better than it just standing there like a retard 90% of the time.

>>33262740
>ITT: "3d models are animated terribly and the colors suck so I don't like them"

FTFY.
>>
>>33253336
3D wasn't a mistake but these static as fuck poses are; we've seen on many pokémon that they CAN make more dynamic idle animations without having issues with moves and such, but for some reason they got really lazy for many pokémon.

Typhlosion's lack of flames makes sense but should be a xerneas/honedge case. it should have its flames as soon as it enters battle, and only be without them in menus and stuff.
>>
>>33256444
>Also, we all know that GF will never fix the models outside of blatant design errors like Glameow. Why would they?
could you explain what you meant by this? I looked at Glameow's models and sprites on Bulbapedia but I didn't see anything wrong with them
>>
>>33253336
yes.

2D masterrace > 3D garbage.
>>
>>33262919
>Which is much better than it just standing there like a retard 90% of the time.
But THAT is the C. animation.
>>
>>33263316
>But THAT is the C. animation.

No it's not. The Colosseum animation looks like it's actually ready to make a move instead of standing there with its arms splayed open like a retard.
>>
>>33254403
The shame of the 3D models is that they lack the dynamism and character that 2D sprites had. I also really enjoyed getting new sprites every generation, sometimes twice.
>>
>>33254042
>>33254055
>How don't you know me? I am clearly the super famous [namefag]
Please fuck off back to whatever forum you crawled from
>>
>>33262919
>3d models are animated terribly
Are you fucking baiting almost all of the 3d mods have at least one really good-looking animation
>>
File: muh waifu2.png (13KB, 470x350px) Image search: [Google]
muh waifu2.png
13KB, 470x350px
I miss sprite threads
>>
>>33263544
Doesn't matter when the majority of the time they're just sitting there in the most boring way possible.
>>
>>33253442
Blaziken is such a cool pokemon.
>>
>>33253336
models when you mean posing
models when you mean animation
models when you mean textures
never models when you're actually talking about properties of a model
The models are good, in fact too good for the 3DS.
>>
>>33263580
These all encapsulate the usage of models. I know you're pretending to be smart but all you're doing is being a pedantic retard.
>>
>>33263332
What other buzzwords can we insert in this post?
>>
>>33263580
>>33263590
The quality of the models bar a handful like Haxorus is pretty good, and the 3ds isn't strong enough to have 4 of them rendered and moving dynamically at a stable FPS.
Then if you remember the rigging and skeletons they've got for the Pokémon when people mess around with the animation swapping it shows there's a lot of detail in the model.

The biggest issue is how they chose to pose a lot of Pokémon.
>>
>>33263598
What buzzwords? He's 100% right.
>>
>>33263602
>he
Sure thing dude. And no, "he" is not.
>>
>>33263599
>the 3ds isn't strong enough to have 4 of them rendered and moving dynamically at a stable FPS.

This isn't true. The issue is rendering the models in the first place. Animation has nothing to do with it. They could animate every Pokemon doing a backflip constantly and it wouldn't affect the performance.
>>
>>33263604
Yes, he. And yes he is. I know this may come as a shock to you, but is possible that more than one person can see how lifeless the 3D models look.
>>
>>33263620
Yay, another buzzword.
>>
>>33263625
There's a buzzword in your post too.
>>
>>33263673
Since when is "," a buzzword what the fuck
>>
>>33263602
>"character" isn't a buzzword
>dynamism meaning anything when the model can take those same poses in any moment
>>
actually Typhlosion has the fire in the animation battle
>>
>>33263602
not sure what buzzwords means but he is lying 100%
3d models are more dinamic and GF reuse sprites for many pokemons since always
>>
File: 1418151513970.png (167KB, 435x427px) Image search: [Google]
1418151513970.png
167KB, 435x427px
>Wanting sprites back after the trainwreck that were the ""animated"" sprites of gen V
No, that was a pixelated mess and half the old Pokemon were just DP sprites with shitty puppet animation, best sprites were from HGSS
>>
File: 1402015011910.png (44KB, 349x349px) Image search: [Google]
1402015011910.png
44KB, 349x349px
>>33253336
No, as your image clearly demonstrates it was a strict improvement over gen 5's hideous tweened sprites with badly scaled pixels. Gen 5 remains the worst looking generation by a large margin, even counting gen 1 backsprites.
>>
>>33263751
Nobody's talking about what the models CAN do. We're talking about what they ARE doing. And what they're doing is looking like lifeless desaturated ugly pieces of shit.

It doesn't help that most old gen designs were just designed to look good as sprites so they don't always translate into 3D well.

>>33263679
"Buzzword" is a buzzword.
>>
>>33263902
The only one talking in "if"s here is you.

Continuously spouting meaningless buzzwords like "lifeless" isn't going to help much.
>>
>>33263918
Continuously spouting meaningless buzzwords like "buzzword" isn't going to help much.
>>
>>33263902
3d models are suppose to be in a relaxed pose
I woudn´t make sense for machamp to flex the muscles all the time but it does when it atacks
Haxorous do an intimidating pose when it atacks like the sprite too, but everyone forget it for the sake of shitposting
Forgive my engrish
>>
>>33253336
Why does everyone always bitch about Typhlosion's model? It looks fine.
>>
>>33264002
Because people sperg out about MUH FIRE
>>
File: image.png (115KB, 506x269px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
115KB, 506x269px
>>33263947
>3d models are suppose to be in a relaxed pose

Not necessarily. They're battling. They should be in a stance that makes them look like they're ready to move. Not standing around wondering what's going on.
>>
>>33264025
>They should be in a stance that makes them look like they're ready to move
blaziken is one of the few models that do it in Gale of darkness/Battle revolution
why is that the role model and not what all the others pokemon do since Stadium
>>
File: typhlosion.gif (681KB, 426x143px) Image search: [Google]
typhlosion.gif
681KB, 426x143px
>>33264025
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62KB, 1280x720px
>>33264086
Typhlosion's idle animation in previous 3D games was no better, you know. Like in XY, its flame only appears when its using an attack.
>>
>>33264086
In 3d games, Typhlosion's flames only appear when it's attacking. The only reason Typhlosion has its flames out at all times in 2d games is because it makes up for a lack of animation.
>>
File: gardevoir.gif (374KB, 426x145px) Image search: [Google]
gardevoir.gif
374KB, 426x145px
>>33264086
>>
File: absol.gif (622KB, 426x143px) Image search: [Google]
absol.gif
622KB, 426x143px
>>33264127
>>
>>33264132
THIS.
>>
File: glameow fix.png (480KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
glameow fix.png
480KB, 800x480px
>>33262980
>>
>>33259176
>Taking a stillframe and putting it next to another sprite isn't a good comparison
It is if what you're complaining is not the animations, but subtle proportion errors that will never be fixed since they models are already finished.
>>
>>33264086
>>33264127
>>33264132
One thing I like about SM idle animation is that they're a bit more actiony/characterful. At least my favorites of this gen has some .
>>
>>33263794
>best sprites were from HGSS
What if I want those back then?
>>
>>33253666
see >>>/qa/1513612
It's a horrible, awful way to fit in on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>33264382
>but subtle proportion errors
That usually are only in a person's head, mind you.
>>
>>33264086
>>33264127
>>33264132
Are these fan animations? Cos they are really good!
>>
>>33264127
There's a reason GF dumped this. It was shit in PtHGSS and it's shit now.
>>
>>33253336
yes especially the shitty 3D overworld
>>
>>33254403
I want to go back to 2D
Take me back
>>
>>33257721
That's how it is for any major Pokemon game coming out.
Man, I remember when /vp/ was /tr/ and it was all because /v/ kept getting flooded with HGSS threads. What a time we live in now.
>>
>>33253848
Screencap this for the eventual disappointment/btfo thread
>>
File: sex.png (58KB, 114x186px) Image search: [Google]
sex.png
58KB, 114x186px
>>33264086
>>33264127
>>33264132
>>
File: 1492453832949.gif (2MB, 370x372px) Image search: [Google]
1492453832949.gif
2MB, 370x372px
>>33253336
How many fucking times are you going to post this garbage? Are you just hoping one of these days you won't get blown the fuck out?

Bad poses =/= bad models. You can adjust poses to be more dynamic. You're comparing idle stances when models are fully animated.
>>
>>33264480
>That usually are only in a person's head
Nah, plenty of people see that a big chunk of the models came out bloated or with detail flaws like Zangoose's tail. It's the reason these threads tend to be so divided/polarizing.
On the other hand, most people are too blind to notice details and most modelling errors are subtle.
This isn't pokemon, but in general it feels like nowadays people are too obsessed with "seeing the big picture" and forgot that the details are important as well, since it's those details what shape the big pictures of life.
>>
>>33265991
There's a big difference between Zangoose's objectively shittily modeled tail and MUH NOT CHUNKY LEGS LIKE A FATMAN Haxorus autism.
>>
>>33264881
This was my first time posting this thread and I'm simply asking a question. Fuck off
>>
>>33253336
Dragon ball FighterZ is the proof that 3D is never a mistake, shit devs are.
>>
>>33254420
Altaria's clouds are poorly modeled
Haxorus's posture more than the model is off though the neck is weirdly short
Arcanine's proportions are way off
Luxray's head is off model
Balstoise's limbs are all disproportional, including the cannons
Tyranitar's proportions are all wrong, they took away any semblance of a neck and put the backspikes at all the wrong size and angle
Rapidash's flames are poorly modeled
And Venusaur's limbs are also disproportionate as well as its posture is wrong
>>
>>33253336
I don't understand why they have to be so static and boring.

Colosseums 3d animations had so much more character than the 3ds trash. Admittedly the gen 1 pokemon were a bit ugly since they were ported straight from Pokemon Stadium but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJpHIg6aCII

Just look at all the effort that went into this.
>>
File: midinishing returns.png (492KB, 1006x1007px) Image search: [Google]
midinishing returns.png
492KB, 1006x1007px
>>33257366
>>
File: 1490832924889.jpg (5KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
1490832924889.jpg
5KB, 247x250px
I always wanted something like this since it was shown off and even though the technology to make it work is there we will never ever get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzpwF7oZZKU
>>
3D models are the way of the future. Wow. Not liking them makes you very un-progressive!
>>
>>33270537
Are you seriously trying to make this argument about 3d models into a political thing

I now realize that you guys have been baiting this entire thread and I have to say very good job
>>
>>33253673
Whoa, chill down Cap'n Edgy. Looks like you're getting too intense over a game's animation.
>>
>>33254403
Most of those look fine except blastoise arcanine and gen 5 dragon I forgot it's name
Thread posts: 241
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.