[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>1000 arms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 19

File: Arceus.png (508KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Arceus.png
508KB, 1280x1280px
>1000 arms
>>
>>33253022
where dey at doe
>>
something something about the arms creating universes space etc
>>
>>33253022
>What are religious metaphors
>>
File: Raikou.png (34KB, 490x338px) Image search: [Google]
Raikou.png
34KB, 490x338px
That's bullshit and you know it. Humans love to embellish tales about rare and powerful Pokémon.

Pic related, we know for a fact that Raikou didn't "fall with lightning". It's just something people in-universe make up for psychological reasons I don't understand.
>>
>>33253042
>>33253046
This.
>>
>>33253022
where does it say it has 1000 arms?
sorry I'm a newfag to this board and I don't have all the pokedex entries memorized
>>
File: 1502045832093.png (77KB, 259x335px) Image search: [Google]
1502045832093.png
77KB, 259x335px
Reminder that the most logical explanation is that the Arceus we see is merely an avatar representing one of its arms, and the True Arceus still resides within its dimension doing whatever the fuck.
>>
>>33253036
>Nigger talk
>>
>>33253022
That is the arm.
>>
>>33253022
Does it have 1000 anuses?
>>
>>33253022

They never said that was Arceus true form
>>
>>33253923
They never said Arceus had a true form either. It's just embellishment.
>>
Why are Arceusfags so determined to embellish and overrate it? Were they brought up in some kind of super religious household and became unable to deal with the idea of a god that isn't omnipotent and is even eclipsed in combat ability by other beings? Why can't they accept the fact that it's shit?
>>
>>33253295
No. What you see is what you get, and the "thousand arms" probably refers to the Unown.

>>33253962
This too. Creator deity =\= omnipotent omniscient unkillable supreme being
>>
>>33253962
Because DPPt have the shittiest legends and brought the most retarded level of lore-creep to the series. Except for Giratina, Giratina is the only reasonable thing in that set of shit.
>>
>>33253928
>embellishment

No.
>>
>>33254002
>Except for Giratina
Don't kid yourself. Giratina is just as bad, even if you like it.
>>
>>33253962
Egyptian mythology actually has a minor deity that technically made the world. Ptah just kind of hangs out and chills.
>>
>>33253022
Legends aren't always truth, it's not even confirmed that it actually created the world
>>
>>33253046
Please don't summon that one fag that says all Pokedex entries are canon.
>>
File: Alone.jpg (21KB, 480x345px) Image search: [Google]
Alone.jpg
21KB, 480x345px
>>33253994
The Unown can't be Arceus 1,000 arms.
Because of this simple fact In the image.
>>
>>33254110
Richard is going to show up whether you like it or not
>>
>>33254119
Right on cue
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 300x168px
You asked for it
>>
Putting this shit to rest.

From Wikipedia:
>An array of Hindu, Buddhist, and some Jain deities are often depicted with multiple heads, arms, and other body parts, creating what one author refers to as a "multiplicity convention" in religious iconography.[5] Such multiple body parts represent the divine omnipresence and immanence (ability to be in many places at once and simultaneously exist in all places at once), and thereby the ability to influence many things at once.[5] The specific meanings attributed to the multiple body parts of an image are symbolic, not literal in context.[6] In such depictions, the visual effect of an array of multiple arms is to create a kinetic energy showing that ability.[7]

The source is this book written by Professor of Indological Studies:
https://books.google.com/books?id=vZheP9dIX9wC&pg

Remember, this is the actual fucking Pokedex entry:
>IT IS DESCRIBED IN MYTHOLOGY as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
>MYTHOLOGY

The 1,000 arms thing is an abstract representation of Arceus's (alleged) omnipotent power based entirely on myths passed down by people who have never seen an Articuno let alone an Arceus. That Arceus doesn't actually have 1,000 physical arms is to show the divide between myth, human perception, and reality. If you can't grasp this concept you are grade A dense.
>>
>>33254335
>>MYTHOLOGY
This refers to the entire thing, not just the thousand arms. I guess Arceus is just a myth then lol
>>
>>33254335
>poo in the loo
>>
>>33253962
>eclipsed in combat ability by other beings
>eclipsed by 2 (two) other pokemon
>P-Groudon and Xerneas
kek, arceus is enjoy S rank ubers right now fucko
>>
>>33254377
No, it refers to a description of Arceus based on mythological sources. Arceus clearly isn't a myth and it clearly doesn't have 1,000 arms. Add that shit up. I know it's hard, but they sent you to school for a reason.
>>
>>33253295
Reminder that the event in HG/SS showed us it's actual arms - the Unown.

Being an allegory on how words pass ideas along and how we make up gods and their powers etc. in contrast to how Unown, as single letters, have basically no power on their own.
>>
File: gira.gif (547KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gira.gif
547KB, 500x375px
>>33253046
Dialga and Palkia individually were destroying all of reality and creating a new universe in the Spear Pillar, and literally they were denominated like gods of the time and the space in the official means, this is also stated in the description of Chapter 11 Pokemon Generations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOIPUi5k6MA&list=PLQWzKIaERirwv9M89dxN3bNLY0PyuChOU&index=12

"With the beginnings of a new universe laid out before him, Cyrus of Team Galactic faces extreme opposition. But aid arrives in an unusual form"

Your headcanon is untenable...
>>
Given both the name and design and the color palette of Arceus, it is quite obvious the intentions of Game Freak.
>>
File: 2ee.gif (134KB, 287x344px) Image search: [Google]
2ee.gif
134KB, 287x344px
>>33253962
>>
File: 250px-073Tentacruel.png (69KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-073Tentacruel.png
69KB, 250x250px
>80 tentacles
>>
>>33253022
I always liked the theory that Arceus uses Unown chains as arms.
>>33253046
Well Brass Tower was hit by lightning, and Raikou emerged from said tower probably not long after, so it is easy to see where they got the idea from.
Volcanoes erupting when Entei is born is harder to explain.
>>
>>
File: images (1).jpg (16KB, 489x103px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
16KB, 489x103px
>>33253046
>>33254110
When he arrives show him this, pokedex entries are not canon, they contradict themselves all the time
>>33254119
What a nice book, who wrote it, a human you say? a human that was born long after the universe was made and couldn't possibly know such a thing? yeah, I thought so, those are not facts, those are mere stories created by bored humans.
>>
File: miss me with it.jpg (73KB, 1024x1002px) Image search: [Google]
miss me with it.jpg
73KB, 1024x1002px
>>33253332
>
>>
>>33255539
Do you have another contradiction? Because for the moment there is more proof that they are canon, for example the official art that came out a month ago.

In addition your "contradiction" can easily be a translation error, and more taking into account that the description of emerald has not been repeated.
>>
File: (you).png (16KB, 569x142px) Image search: [Google]
(you).png
16KB, 569x142px
>>33255539
>Applying the logic of the real world to a fantasy world
>>
>>33255539
Or you can put the two together and arrive at the reasonable conclusion that Slugma only allows itself to sleep if it is near magma.
>>
File: Arceus_create_HGSS.png (31KB, 256x193px) Image search: [Google]
Arceus_create_HGSS.png
31KB, 256x193px
>>33253022
It's a metaphor.

Arceus is an entity that exists in every moment in every possible universe, but its power is subsidized. It uses the Unown as carriers to tap into a theoretical singularity and sync itself with its alternate counterparts. Each Arceus constitutes its own arm.
>>
>>33254090
Underrated post, for all we know Arceus is just another Pokemon
>not being an atheist
Checkmate
>>
>tfw two intelligent too have a realistic Pokedex entry
>>
>>33255375
He's not wrong, actually. As a religious person I can confirm this.
Jewish mythology states that God gave up his power over the world some time after creating it. He is no longer omnipotent, omniscient, or really bearing any power over our world whatsoever. All he can do is pray that humans have faith in him, so they can carry out his teaching.
Perhaps Arceus originally had a thousand arms, but assumed the form he has currently when he gave up his supreme power.
>>
File: llama.png (2MB, 1253x651px) Image search: [Google]
llama.png
2MB, 1253x651px
>>33254090
>>
>>33256033
If Jews don't think God has power over the mortal world do they not pray to him for help in rough times?
Genuinely curious.
>>
>>33254463
Fuck off retard
>>
>>33256033
Arceus is actually based on Shintoism.
>>
>>33256052
Yes and no.
God can't create objects out of the blue or control peoples' minds, but he can make his presence known in the heart of man, hopefully invoking goodness and morality.
God in his current state basically manifests as the concept of righteousness.
>>
It is ironic how many atheists deny the existence of God, but the only idea they have about that concept is that which transmits the most important monotheistic religions...
>>
This is what happens when edgy teenagers just read random blogs to validate themselves.
>arceus did not create the world nor the universe
Until we have further proof, the whole lore says the opposite, and even in that world were technology is advanced so no "muh middle ages idiots" everyone agrees on that.
>muh book written by literally who years later
I guess plato and all of the greek philosophers aren't real
>you can catch/defeat arceus
Gameplay wise, although in the movie we see arceus being captured by the baddies, it's because it lost its plates
>creator deity = omnipotent omniscient
I bet you believe that the "unmovable rock" paradox is the final proof of "god is ded hahaha cheesus amirite"
>>
>>33256265
>although in the movie we see arceus being captured by the baddies

Well, that's PIS, and non-canon, and more bearing in mind that Arceus stopped time at a certain point in the movie and can easily defeat the creation trio.
>>
>>33253022
The in-game Arceus is an avatar. Do you think Vishnu's only form is the blue man? Deities have the ability to change form, be reborn, and be in multiple places at once. If Arceus really is as powerful as is said, surely you couldn't capture it. What you can capture is an avatar, an avatar that is so insignificant that it doesn't even possess one thousandth of the *true* Arceus' power. I'm sure Arceus doesn't even remember where it left half of its avatars. Arceus is often considered to be inspired by the bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, known for having 1000 arms, or deities from Shinto (which would fit more with its origins as Sinnoh's creator). However I always see more similarities with Vishnu. Vishnu woke up one day on the back of Ananta, a giant snake with a thousand heads. He created the world, and has saved the world in at least ten different incarnations (Narasimha, Rama and Krishna being the most well-known). Vishnu essentially has the properties of a transcendent deity; he can literally die and be reborn or inject himself into existence, but his godly existence is a constant. He has four arms: two in front represent his being in the physical world and the two in the back represent his foothold in the spiritual world (a similarity shared with Arceus).

Cont.
>>
>>33256424
Finally, Vishnu is known for the "thousand names of Vishnu" which are chanted by his followers to increase his power and influence. Now, Arceus' dex entry, as with most other exaggerated entries, probably has little relevance to the one you get in the game, but even if we take it literally and say that each Arceus is an avatar which has four "arms", there would be at least 250 Arceus in existence. I don't personally think that, however, and considering how Arceus can literally create a Palkia, Dialga or Giratina instantly, I'm more than certain he could create a copy avatar for himself. In a way, the Hall of Origin reminds me of "Jail rooms" that Game Masters would use back when I played Final Fantasy XI. Essentially they were rooms with no doors or other entrances/exits and griefers were teleported there in confinement as punishment, only accessible by GM teleportation. Arceus is kind of sitting there idle, as if the true consciousness of Arceus has gone "afk", so to speak.

Anyway, Arceus is still a Pokémon. Its theme as a Qilin is pretty well executed, but Arceus almost seems like something that transcends Pokémon. "Arceus" itself may not even be its true name, mere the Pokémon incarnation of another creator deity.

Can we make this a headcanon thread?
>>
File: Header.jpg (42KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
Header.jpg
42KB, 400x309px
>>33256424
>>33256430
Well, according to the game your comment is pretty accurate.

"I learned many things on my journey. Would you like to hear them?
The way I see it, our world began when the spirit within people was born.
When that spirit came to be, there followed awareness about the world.
Within the newborn spirit, time and space were intertwined as one.
People and Pokémon, too, were but the same presence.
As I understand it, people and Pokémon shared the spirit and awareness.
They should have understood and accepted each other then.
Because they shared the same spirit, people and Pokémon intermingled.
People took the place of Pokémon, and the opposite also held true.
That interpretation could give us an idea about how our world came to be.
A Pokémon is said to have shaped this world.
Could that Pokémon be the physical form of the original spirit?
Hmm... The spirit came to be, and from it, time and space were born...
That seems to point to Legendary Dialga, the Pokémon of time, and Palkia, the Pokémon of space...
And they lead back to Arceus, the Pokémon that made them arise.
Oh, there were also Plates, weren't there?
One Plate read "Three beings were born to bind time and space."
Those three beings I read to mean the three Pokémon of the lakes. It's about Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf.
The myth describes how they gave spirit to the world, shaping it.
But it all starts with Arceus, the first. It is known as the Original One."
>>
>>33256430
Might as well given how much of Arceus' lore is essentially headcanon with little substantiation.
>>
File: original.jpg (22KB, 320x399px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
22KB, 320x399px
>>33256033
This explains so much shit that I've questioned myself ever since I found out about religion, I almost feel like my head is about to explode.

Welp, might as well covert myself to Madokaism
>>
>>33253022
Have you seen the judgement animation I'm Pokemon battle revolution? There's your 1000 arms
>>
>>33257313
That's interesting, Thousand Arrows and Jirachi's (who sleeps for 1000 years) Doom Desire look similar too
>>
>>33255391

The longer, it live.
The more the tentacles that it losses
>>
File: YHVH_SMTIV_Final.jpg (130KB, 941x563px) Image search: [Google]
YHVH_SMTIV_Final.jpg
130KB, 941x563px
1000 arms is just a metaphor for infinite power.
>>
>>33255994
I was thinking the same think. That actually makes more sense and is less of a contradiction than other pokedex entries.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.