[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Open world pokémon game confirmed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 8

File: Immagine.jpg (763KB, 1896x2164px) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.jpg
763KB, 1896x2164px
Are you excited?
>>
Didn't really want open world
>>
I don't want it.
>>
What does open world even mean
>>
>>33246245
If this means it's not gonna be as linear as SM, I'm all for it.
>>
>>33246245
Maybe open world will prevent abortions like SM and USUM of happening, also its something new. If it worked with Zelda its probably gonna work with Pokemon aswell. I'll give them a chance to prove themselves.
>>
>>33246245
I'm okay with open world as long as it really IS open by the virtue of we go into towns seamlessly.
>>
>>33246245
I'm excited for the premise, but its difficult to determine if what was said in this video is directly what they mean.

It seems like giving away a major, defining, extremely demanded feature like it being open-world so casually in some during-production interview is off putting. I just can't take this at face value, considering both the language barrier, and how much of a spaz Masuda seems to be.

If it does end up coming true, then fuck yes, its exactly what I'd hoped for. At the very least, it seems like the pressure of BotW's success is looming on them to try and create something actually half decent.
>>
if it means no cutscenes or handholding I'm in.
>>
>>33246257
Most Pokémon games are open world since you can access any area you have the tools to do. That's basically open world. Open world doesn't mean non-linear.
>>
>>33246245
Is this an edit
>>
>>33246298
>open world
no, The Elder Scrolls 3-5 are more of open world, since you can go to most of the world right from the get go (though you'll probably die)
>>
>>33246299
No
https://www.giantbomb.com/pokemon/3025-452/forums/why-cant-nintendo-make-a-proper-pokemon-game-for-c-420255/
>>
>>33246299
No, this is actually word for word what was said.

>>33246298
This is what my concerns are. "Open-world" may very well be an English only phrase when reffering to a very specific layout structure of game progression. They might have an equivalent in Japanese, but I really doubt they'd just casually confirm a giant piece of news like that.
>>
>>33246306
I mean the game freak part, genius.
>>
>>33246256
>>33246251
HAHA! conformistfags btfo!
>>
>>33246245
Open world pokemon game is all I ever wanted. I'm happy. Fuck you, got mine.
>>
>NU OPEN WORLD POKÉMON GAME MEME ARE YOU EXCITED?!

>"It is very difficult to make the game, so I hope people don’t get their expectations up too high"

not really
>>
>>33246303
They are both concepts of an open world game yeah, with Bethesda games probably being one of the most "open" styles of games. But they still come with a story that progresses across the game map, which had roadblocks that you can't progress past until you've finished that part of the story.

I also don't see how they'd make a turn based, level based jRPG into an open world without having a scaling system that wouldn't make much sense outside of gyms, but scaling gyms would be pretty cool.
If you can go anywhere but the Pokémon and trainers levels are too high for you to progress, isn't that a soft roadblock anyway?
>>
>>33246299
Fuck off
>>
>>33246340
I'm perfectly fine with "soft roadblocks". I don't mind the game hinting at which way it wants you to go through a path of least resistance. I just want to go uphill if I want.
>>
>>33246245
Is this picture real or photoshoped?
>>
>>33246393
both
>>
>>33246245
he said more open-ish not open world so if you're thinking something like GTA you might end up being disappointed
>>
File: 23523532.png (134KB, 253x294px) Image search: [Google]
23523532.png
134KB, 253x294px
>>33246245
Do you trust him?
>>
>>33246396
So if the site that Masuda is pointing at is the wrong one, what site is the real one Ohmori looks at?
>>
GF 's version of an Open World might turn out to be an online fighting tournament game where anyone can fight anyone, it will be an open tournament.
>>
I know that vp likes to play the "who's more contrarian" but I'll break the mold and just say that i'm excited as fuck for this. Pokémon merries well with a BOWT style game: I just want to be thrown in a huge ass region with lot of dungeons and exploring and pokémon to catch and be told to come on top as pokémon master. No legendaries trying to destroying the world, no Mary Sue deuteragonists no fucking evil teams no 2 hours long tutorials no more fucking cutscenes no more ridiculous plot.
Just me, a huge ass region and a giant poke dex is enough. For plot heavy linear games they should really just create a side series, this is the what the original concept was, nay, DEMANDS
>>
File: Game Freak Creative Process.gif (1MB, 581x578px) Image search: [Google]
Game Freak Creative Process.gif
1MB, 581x578px
>>33246466
You should lower your expectations
>>
>>33246466
Pray tell, how do you implement levels for wild Pokemon and trainers? Do you base it on the player's current party (meaning different levels if you come back with stronger/weaker mons)? Does the player have a level that would be checked (meaning coming back to an area with weak mons is not advisable anyway, like current late game areas)? What about individual Pokémon? If I come with higher level pokemon, am I just going to fight higher level Pidgeys? A level 45 Pidgey isn't exactly a threat to an organically leveled team of similar levels.
Same with trainers. Do they have several different teams depending on level, or does their team just level up? Maybe you can decline a trainer match or run away from a wild Pokemon that's too tough, but then what's the point of having a direction to go in if you're not able to interact with anything in that area due to being too weak?
No matter what way you implement it (beyond removing the turn based aspect), the game is going to have roadblocks, it's just going to be you losing constantly (which isn't fun) rather than "we're dancing for no reason."
I'm all for innovation but I don't think you guys who cry for an "open world" game ever stop to think what that entails on the development end.
>>
>>33246245
>Excited for a game the producer said you shoudn't have high expectations for
Only switchfags could be this retard
>>
>>33246569
I mean, you can rematch trainers and they come back with stronger trainers.
>>
>>33246584
Yes but what happens when you avoid them the first time and come back later? And that still doesn't answer the question of wild Pokemon.
>>
>>33246245

god are u ppl stupid

"pls keep expectations low" = we just wanna make the game like you're used to

>everyone jumps on some detail in an ancient forum post and starts speculating

>>
>>33246273
It didn't work for Zelda though.
>>
>>33246635
Botw didnt work? Rofl
>>
>>33246245
And another autist, who can´t tell "open world" and "open worldish" apart.

Fake news, idiot.
>>
>>33246635
Ultimate contrarian.
>>
>muh contrarian
Or maybe some of us just don't want fucking open world
>>
>BotW has had years of developement time, since at least late 2010/ early 2011
>Masuda makes an off statement about open world
>idiots will start their wishful thinking of Pokemon Switch being on the same level as BotW despite knowingly aware it'll have much less dev time
This is exactly what they meant by not getting your hopes up, retards
>>
>>33246245
Don't worry, they'll find a way to fuck it up
>>
Gen 8 should do what botw did as in going back to the series roots and not making a lackluster open world pokemon game for thesake if making an open world game.
That being said GF should bite the bullet and let Nintendo help them with programming and level/world design and let GF handle the Pokemon.
>>
He litteraly said during the interview when he read more than 40 hours comments

I don't know about that lol
>>
>>33246245
They said "we're making this" on multiple comments, the main through line of which was making a mainline home console Pokemon game. Acting like they confirmed that it's open world too because one or two of those comments mentioned it is just wishful thinking on your part.
>>
>>33246245
Masuda only said that they're making a mainline console game.
>>
>>33246245
>open-ish world

He never outright said it was a open world, all he said not 40+ hours long.

Plus even if it is open world, what's to stop GF from still making it linear story driven game like SM.
>>
>>33246334
Don't expect a game very different from pokemon games in the past
They're not trying to reinvent the wheel on the switch
>>
>>33246299
>>33246393
>>33246428
It's entirely real https://youtu.be/zgAbM7s8CdY?t=3m21s
>>
>>33246245

Did they actually comment on a 7 year old post?
>>
I think they'll take a page from Xenoblade 1. Progression is linear, but the world invites you to explore so much that it still feels open.
>>
>>33247305
>>33247295
>>
GF can't even make a good linear handheld game, what makes you think they will make a good open world home console game?
>>
>>33246569
That's why we have HMs, to guide exploration
What roadblocks did gen1 have aside from the old man, police officer, and saffron gate guards? Using little side quests and HMs makes it really easy to gate difficult zones
>>
Masuda was referring to make a home console game. He most likely misunderstood Tebbit's demand after reading previous comments.
>>
>>33247311

I know it's real, I mean why would they mention a post from 7 years ago and not more recent ones?
>>
>>33247295
>Not sure if it's going to be 40+ hours...
e p i c
>>
>>33247335
I got that feeling too. That's probably why he skipped over the open world comment and only responded to the 40+ hours part.

>>33247346
I don't know, probably because it's Gamefreak and they live in the past.
>>
Not really excited, especially since I had decent hopes that SM would be at least average Pokémon games only to have whatever small expectations I had destroyed.

But, who knows, maybe they'll do a good job. Being wrapped up in negativity all the time doesn't help anyone. I'll be one of the first to criticize and complain if it's bad, but I'll give it a chance like every other Pokémon game.

So I guess just patiently waiting is what I'm doing. I've more or less given up on USUM, however.
>>
>>33247366
why have you given up on a game we luckily still know nothing about?!
Literally nothing...

I mean I can see why you're not excited about it, no one can possibly be, but why do you have to be so pessimist?
>>
>>33247378
Given how gen 6 and 7 burned most of the people here I can see why he'd be pessimistic
>>
>>33247378
Not him, given their recent track record it's better to be wrong about it being bad rather than getting our hopes up again.
>>
>>33247410
>>33247416
Gen 6 and 7 are flawed, just like literally every single pokémon game (even more so first entries in generations), but I can't believe some people refuse to find good things about them. They're not perfect but they're not even utter shit.

You can have low expectation without being a deluded pessimist too, you know
>>
>>33247378
vp doesn't deserve hope after they whipped themselves into a frenzy in gen 6 and 7
Really, I can't take the general opinion of this site seriously
>>
>>33247378
Well, that's the problem, anon; we know so very little about a game that's coming out in what? a little over 3 months? All they've shown were new Zoid forms for legendaries that were just fine as they were, a Pika hat, and recolored doggo.

Not to mention I didn't like SM at all save for a couple features. USUM likely aren't going to be hugely different to SM. The only things they'll add would likely be new UBs and Alolan forms--all of which I adamantly despise.

I mean, sure, they might catch my attention with added gyms, expanded region, following Pokémon, and actually new Pokémon, but I have better hopes of winning the lottery than getting those. I wouldn't call it pessimism; SM 2.0 is going to be more SM. And that's fine for those who liked them, but I didn't.
>>
File: masuda.jpg (228KB, 1259x701px) Image search: [Google]
masuda.jpg
228KB, 1259x701px
>>33247295
This board should learn from Masuda, always keep your expectations down.
>>
>>33247450
Reminds me more of platinum hype season, where all we had were a few alternate forms
>>
>>33247450
>despise alolan forms
Bwuh
Okay man
>>
>>33246298
Every world is as open as it is. Just like if a door is slightly open, it's an open door.

In Gen 6 and up, you can't walk on grass that is slightly higher up than normal. That's a very artificial barrier when compared to our world.
>>
>>33247428
I already feel like my expectations are lowered. All i want at this point is a game better than the previous one and they can't even do that. They'll improve one area of the game and another part feels like a step back.

I'm not even expecting USUM to be any better than SM let alone Platinum/BW2 that some people on here are expecting.
>>
Every main Pokemon game is open world. That's the whole point.

Still, a Pokemon game with true 3D movement, jumping, etc would be crazy.
>>
>>33246635
I gotta agree with the tripcode scalie here. BotW is almost unanimously agreed to be the best Zelda game to date, and it's not even done yet.
>>
I can't believe he actually read that english writers in those sites and answered them. I think he just said things that might satisfy people but not more than that.
>>
>Invisible walls
>Pathing issues
>Exploiters skipping 90% of the game because they found some trick to get over a wall that's blocked off

Lack of content is the most obvious problem plaguing literally every single open world game, and considering every pokemon game so far has had large areas with nothing in it other than tall grass and low-tier puzzles, I'm worried.
>>
File: wew.png (200KB, 500x276px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
200KB, 500x276px
>>33247456
Oh, I did.
But then Dusk Doggo happened proving no matter how low they are, they WILL find a way to disappoint me.
>>
>>33247531
What did you think of the platinum or hgss prerelease when we only had alternate forms..?
>>
>>33246340
"Soft roadblocks" are fine imo, because, if done right, they're made in such a way where it's possible to conquer them underleveled, but it usually takes WAAAY longer or involves more strategy, resource management, critical thinking, trial and error, etc. Waiting until you've reached an appropriate level or obtained the right items, etc. is always an option.
>>
>>33247539
Why you comparing this hgss?

D/p were decent of enough games to get excited about it getting expanded.

Sun and moon are just garbage
>>
>>33246257
It's /v/'s latest buzzword for starting shit.
It has no concise meaning.
>>
I'm interested. I didn't think open world Zelda would be a good idea, but I loved BOTW. So I'm open to the idea of an open world Pokemon game
>>
>>33247635
SM were not that bad
And because back in gen 4, prerelease was like this, just alternate forms
>>
>>33247687
S/M were that bad
>>
>>33247457
Except I actually liked DP, but not SM. DP weren't my favorites, but they were good enough to warrant excitement over a game that combined the best of both worlds.

>>33247463
Many of them were just as lazy as carrot doggo, or just plain stupid like adding a dumb jihad beard or human haircuts to existing Pokémon. Even the fans made way better Alolan Forms. Sure, I didn't mind the Sandslash and the Marowak was ok, but when it reached Garfield Persian, my patience with their stupid designs ran short. Some looked more like someone drew graffiti all over perfectly fine Pokémon and called it a new form. A lot of people like them, but I just can't see anything but shitty deviant art OCs.
>>
>>33247635
>DP
>>decent
Maybe if they were your first games.
>>
Except for XY and SM, all Pokemon games have basically been "open world". Normies expect Skyrim/BotW with Pokemon, but relists know it won't be any different from how older pkmn games were constructed.
>>
>>33247695
No they weren't
They were definitely not the best, but they weren't my least favourite either
You're allowed to like and dislike whatever games you want, of course
>>
>>33247713
XY wasn't any different from BW in that regard
>>
>>33247354
Means the next Gen is short (too)?
>>
>>33247695
If you think SM were worse than XY then those are the only two pokemon games you played.
>>
File: IMG_0042.jpg (162KB, 1438x836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0042.jpg
162KB, 1438x836px
>>33246245
>>
>>33247456
KEK.
>>
>>33247775
I remember some weird road blocking in BW, but not to the extent I remember being railroaded in XY.
>>
>>33247653
This. Its definition is extremely nebulous because everyone seems to have their own take on it. I generally take it to mean that you're not strictly confined to wherever the plot or game setup/mechanics dictate. This usually means you can pretty much go anywhere from the start because there's no arbitrary gate or something blocking you for weird reasons or anything like that. However, doing so may come with a cost for being underleveled, unprepared, and going Leroy Jenkins on everything in your path. While "non-linear" progression is totally possible, it'd probably take more time and effort to do so; this usually means failing A LOT. It's like taking on a tough task you're not quite ready for irl. It's possible but it'd be a crapload easier if you took your time and properly prepared yourself for it. It's just a slight impediment, though not preventing you from moving forward entirely.
>>
File: the problem with botw.jpg (714KB, 2046x1664px) Image search: [Google]
the problem with botw.jpg
714KB, 2046x1664px
>>33246273
>If it worked with Zelda

But it didn't work with Zelda.
>>
>>33247456
>don't get your expectations up too high
>not sure it will be 40+ hours
Seriously...
>>
>>33246257
Generally it means you can explore around and go back to previous areas, and the game is delineated into "areas" rather than "stages" or "levels".
>>
>>33246245
No. I never wanted this and I honestly am less and less attracted about this Franchise since ORAS, Pokémon Go and SM.
USUM is the lowest point GF has ever been.
It really is becoming complete trash;
And It's not like i'm difficult to please since I loved XY.
>>
>>33246273
Zelda was open world from day 1
>>
>>33246334
He's seeing people look at BOTW and expecting that.

But GF don't wanna hire enough manpower to such a game.

tl;dr despite this having home console power, expect a handheld quality title.
>>
>>33247862
I dunno, Anon. Look at it this way: BotW is only Nintendo's first whack at open world in a 3D setting, and they slayed it. Assuming this is the first of its kind in a series of games to come, BotW may not be perfect in your opinion, but it serves as a strong, sturdy foundation for future titles. (It's this era's OoT in a sense.) From here on out they can take a look at their hits and misses and improve or fix them in the next games. You speak as if BotW is the last Zelda game ever when it's only the beginning.

On that note, if Pokemon Switch goes open world and it tanks, GF will be forced to improve and change for the better.
>>
>>33247957

I'd argue it's not necessarily a question of manpower- people weren't hyped about BotW because of it's size or looks, but because it was the first Zelda in forever that didn't bore them senseless with tutorial bullshit before allowing them to actually play the game. If Gamefreak want some of the BotW hype, all they really need to do is scrap the roadblocks and stop interrupting the player every five minutes for another helping of anime-tier writing.
>>
>>33246245
It probably wont be openworld but the biggest region
>>
>>33248001
The problem is, GameFreak's ideology is being as accessible as possible to a universal audience while also catering to Mobile-Addicted Twats who have an attention span worse than a fish, hence all the casualization, endless handholding, borderline free Legendaries and Win Buttons like Megas and Z-Moves.
>>
>>33246251
>Wanting a restrictive game.
>>
>>33247308
This seems like the best possibility. They can keep random battles in the grass and stuff, but make the environments as pretty as possible. Add crevices and random caves where rare pokemon live. Add an exploration element, with optional landmarks and things to discover. Stop taking away features that the older games had. Give us weather and a day and night cycle and maybe even certain zones that get effected by seasons. Make a game that's a real evolution of the concept started in the first games. Traveling the countryside with your monster friends. It doesn't have to be some skyrim knockoff that all the normies would love, just make it all bigger and prettier and I think most people would be happy
>>
>>33248011
>casualization
>endless handholding
>borderline free Legendaries
>Win Buttons like Megas and Z-Moves

I dunno, Anon- I've the attention span of a fish, and none of that does anything for me.
>>
>>33246569
Trainer levels can scale with your team (which I just realised is what BOTW monster camps do but with playtime).

Wild levels can scale as you get further from the starting point and in places behind HMable blocks. Another idea is a sort of sentry Pokémon that blocks the access to a higher level area.

If you walk near it, you can see its level. If you beat it, you get an area with Pokémon around that sort of level (probably a bit less).

Gym Leaders could scale with your number of badges, but then again if you spend ages in the wild you can overlevel. So maybe they should scale with your top 6 levelled Pokémon. Or maybe top x, where x is how many are in their team.

---

The upside is using berries and herbs found in the wild that you can use to keep moving through the game, coming across a hidden area with rare Pokémon in it. You can catch Pokémon and use their HM-like abilities to traverse through the world, replacing existing fainted party members. Your team will have to stay fresh. Coming across evil team troubles in a non-scripted manner and dealing with them as you want. The sense of progression is more meaningful because you have to get past obstacles yourself (no pokeride handout); it's not that whenever you get stronger, all the Pokémon in the next area are stronger too.
>>
It's actually easier not to put in stupid restrictions and interrupting cutscenes.
>>
>>33246295
>taking away some of great things.
No
>>
>>33246245
Masuda literally said he doesn't think it will be more than 40 hours. I would lower hype.
>>
>>33246245
Expect gen 8 to be the d/p x/y of the switch. Gamefreak do not have a good track record of the first games on new hardware being good.
>>
>>33248365
>Masuda literally said he doesn't think it will be more than 40 hours

Not inherently a bad thing- part of the problem with most open-world games is the way they go for sheer brute size/length above all else.
>>
File: Gaur Plains.jpg (195KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Gaur Plains.jpg
195KB, 1280x720px
What you people need to understand is that big open fields do not necessarily mean crazy non-linearity.
They just need to make regions that feel organic, like real places with a lot of space, and not small artificial looking pathways designed by a robot. They took steps towards this in Alola already at least aesthetically, in terms of actual playable space it's still complete garbage and somehow even worse than before.

Small grid-locked routes were fine in the GBC because of hardware, but it's not in any way anymore. They can have big, organic, open and layered areas and still maintain the same structure and progression, only this time with actual explorable terrain and space to have adventures in while you go from gym to gym.
>>
>>33246245
>listening to fans
That's why pokemon is shit right now.
>>
Maybe is open world is real. Remember what TPC makes with pixelmon
>>
>>33246245
>take a comment from 7 years ago
They should had take a comment from past months about how SM was.
>>
>>33246245
If it means we are getting gen3 rse freedom back + searching for legendaries I am all in
>>
>>33247354
No one said it going to take less than 40 hours. Maybe more than 40 hours.
But there is the "dont have your expectations high"
>>
>>33249460
>take a comment from past months about how SM was
they would most likely be happy that most people liked their unfinished beta
>>
>>33249287
this
>>
>>33248298
>tfw this is what makes Nintendo 64 games so great.
Minimal story telling and mostly gameplay.
>>
>>33246922
I mean you didn't lie. And we'll still have a barrage of threads whining when the game doesn't meet their unrealistic expectations
>>
>>33248069
>not wanting to be told a story
>not wanting to be taken on a journey
>thinking youve got what it takes to make something interesting happen by yourself

You don't even want open world games, and no one else does, either. There's a reason why the only successful "open world" games still give you tons of goals, gating, or guides.
>>
>>33250547
>this much projection
>>
>>33250547
Those things aren't bad, as long as you have control over your character most of the time and are not playing some interactive movie.
>>
>>33246245
Do you think they even understand what he means by "open world"?
>>
>>33246303

It's not that open world when you think about it. Sure you can explore almost everywhere without progressing in the game but to beat the game you have to progress the storyline which is linear. Also I would not be okay with weaker pokemon appearing more often at lower levels and them getting stronger as you level up like in Skyrim.
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.