[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the theme of Fairy-type?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

I remember when /vp/ lost its shit over the reveal of Fairy-type. I remember the confusion and the hype.

Now we are 2 generations into having this new type, and I still can't wrap my head around what exactly its theme is meant to be.

The joke is that it's "pink, round, cute things," but Fairy-type includes a wider range than just that.

For every Clefairy, Jigglypuff or Flabebe, the Fairy-type also includes Pokemon like Mawile, Xerneas, and the Tapus.

Marrill and Dedene are Fairy, but not Plusle, Pachirisu, or even Pikachu.

The Ralts line became part Fairy, except for Gallade. Yet their designs are all pretty similar regardless.

Jigglypuff's line got the honor of becoming Normal/Fairy (while Clefairy changed to pure Fairy), but the Chansey line stayed Normal. Aren't they all pretty similar designs?

And while Pokemon like Cutiefly, Comfey, Whimsicott and Magearna are part Fairy, others like Vivillon, Bellossom, Lilligant, and Meloetta are not.

Pretty much every other type seems to match a clear theme. A lot of the "elemental" Pokemon are tied to that element (it runs on electricity, it lives in water, its on fire...). Ghost-types are clearly all meant to be spirits with some mythological ties, Bugs are all insectoid, Fighting types are hardened brawlers... Even Dragon and Steel, with some of their odder family members such as M-Ampharos, A-Exeggutor, and Lucario? All of those Pokemon are that type because of either an in-joke or "variation" of the type's theme ("Denryu" has "dragon" in the name, Hawaii has "dragon" trees, Lucario has a "steel heart"...).

So are Fairy-type Pokemon all meant to be fairy tale creatures? Mythical beings? Cute Pokemon? It's the only type I can think of where the members are completely all over the place. And so many Pokemon could, arguably, fit as "Fairy-types." I was as shocked as anyone that the list of retyped Pokemon in Gen VI wasn't larger (and seemingly random).

So, /vp/... What the hell is a Fairy-type?
>>
>>33230338
read bulbapedia
>>
>>33230338
It's easier for plushies and marketing
>>
>>33230338
>What the hell is a Fairy-type?
an excuse to kill dragons
>>
This is the main reason I fucking hate fairy type. There is not thematic consistency, just "lol it's cute make it fairy!"

The attacks aren't consistent either. One is a kiss, one is fairy wind, one uses moon power for some reason, and one is literally fucking playing rough. I'm still fucking mad x scissor, slashing someone with two claws, is only 80 BP, while fucking playing with something is 90 BP and can lower a stat
>>
Creatures with mythological ties, ties to the moon, and creatures that fit one definition of fairy or another, be it winged pixie fairies or be it cutesy magical girl anime mascot fairies

Of course like with other types it's not an all-in thing either
>>
>>33230391
X Scissor have 100% accuracy honey
>>
>>33230412

bug is also the worst attacking move in the game. Make it 90 BP and even give it a high crit rate.

Play rough is stupidly good for the default "physical attack"
>>
An expansion of the egg group fairy concept, which is loosely based on ""magic""(eg elemental attacks to learn by TM and cute shit)
>>
>>33230449
And ice beam is a better atachink move, is 100% and have a 10% chance of freezing
What else
>>
>>33230493

elemental Special attacks are typically defaulted at 90 (thunderbolt, bug buzz, ice beam, energy ball, flamethrower, etc)

elemental physical attacks are typically 70-80 (x scissor, night slash, shadow claw, dragon claw, zen headbutt, poison jab, waterfall, etc.) They just decided to make play rough 90 because "lawl new best type beat da dragons!" Like I said, the shitty attacking types like bug and poison could be using the 90 BP attacks
>>
>>33230399
/thread
>>
>>33230399
>>33230598
HOWEVER

>creatures with mythological ties
Most legendaries fit this and aren't Fairies

>ties to the moon
Cresselia and Darkrai aren't Fairy

I'm aware those are flimsy arguments, but still outlines the point that Fairy is not a very cohesive type

>>33230473
This actually makes sense. But again, Fairy egg group includes the Pikachu line, among others, right? You could argue the Dragon egg group includes Seviper and Arbok, so "what's your point, OP?" But whatever. Shit still bugs me.

I'd like fairy a lot better if it wasn't just slapped onto so many random Pokemon like it was.

It's basically the current equivalent of Psychic-type during Gen I and II. Soooo many Pokemon were Psychic types that just didn't make sense. It was sort of the catchall type for "well, it can't be Normal... and we want it to be more special than pure (insert other type)...." Fairy sort of fills that role now.
>>
>>33230560
To be fair, the special attacks were not always the same BP. They changed that in the more recent gens to even them out. Wasn't Energy Ball only 80 and Flamethrower 100 prior to Gen VI? I could look it up, but not feeling it right now.

Also, I think you may be right with Play Rough. But it's also so uncommon of a move compared to things like X Scissor. Not that many Pokemon actually learn it, so it makes sense it would be a little stronger.
>>
>>33230941
>Flamethrower 100
Nope 95 it was and got nerfed to 90. Heat wave is that
>>
>>33230931
Like most types, it's not an all-in.
>>
>>33230338
mythical creatures and/or 'emotions' and/or 'the moon'
>>
>>33230338
Fairy-type is a Pokémon type.
>>
I think Fairy type is being good, magic, life, nature. But not like psychic which is more science/power of mind and cosmos.

Fairies are tied to moon because they get power from nature and from moon.

Most of them can do magic/are mysterious (Ninetales, Mr Mime, Gardevoir, Magearna, Shiinotic, Togekiss)
Some likes to heal (Comfey, Xernias, Audino)
Some are protectors (Klefki, Tapus)
Some are connected to nature (Florges, Ribombee, Aromatisse, Diancie)
other are cute and pink

Special:
Mimikyu and Mawile - pretending to being cute but are monsters
Granbull and Clefable - fairy puns
Dedenne - in France they have tooth mouse instead of tooth fairy lol
Chansey - she fits to fairy but maybe would be too OP
>>
>>33230338
Lately I've started to think that Fairy type is something like "magical girl" (mahou shoujo) power in a sense. Think Sailor Moon, Madoka, etc. Perhaps it's part of a ploy to get more girls on board. Who knows.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.