[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Idea for an Emerald hack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: emerald.jpg (15KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
emerald.jpg
15KB, 275x183px
>Game takes place in a new region based in Italy.
>Plot is about a retired Pokemon champion from an undisclosed region who quit after getting bored with their job and after having their Pokemon stolen by thieves. Now works as an undercover interpol agent.
>There have been rumors about the Pokemon Arena, a tower (based on the Colosseum in Rome but much bigger) designed for Pokemon battling, being run by criminals. The hero's mission is to infiltrate the tower disguised as a trainer and investigate, while becoming stronger.
>The region is pretty big and you are free to visit locations whenever you want. The real meat of the game and where progression lies however is not in Gyms or trials, but in that Arena. Progression lies in visiting the Tower whenever you think you're prepared, defeat the floor's trainers, defeat the floor leader, and move on.
>The arena functions similarly to the Battle Frontier, or to the Heaven's Arena from Hunter x Hunter. There is a total of about 14 floors, with each floor being dominated by the strongest trainer of that floor, called the floor master. When you defeat the master, you become the new master and get to ascend to a higher floor. As you can expect, each floor rises in difficulty.
>Each floor master's team is themed after an Egg group instead of a type. Expect surprises.
>Format is different to the BF. You don't have a 3 Pokemon limit, making battles less RNG-oriented.
>>
>The AI has the battle strategies of a competitve player. Expect the enemy Pokemon to have items, good EV/IVs, have coverage and stat moves, and to switch out.
>EV/IVs are much easier to handle now.
>All Pokemon from Gens 1-3 are available, including their Gen 4 evolutions, with the exception of Mewtwo, event-exclusives, mascot legendaries (except for Suicune), and literally useless mons (like Dunsparce). Probably gonna include Lucario and Garchomp line, idk.
>Combat is just like in Gen 3, except now with the Gen 4 physical/special split, including the fairy type, and new attacks from gens 4-7 included.
>No Mega evolutions or Z-moves, probably.
>Probably no Alola forms except maybe for Marowak
>Trade evolutions can happen anyway. If a simple trade is required, just level up your Pokemon while holding a certain item to evolve. If a trade while holding an item is required, just level up your Pokemon while holding the required item (ex: Level up Scyther while holding Metal Cloak to get Scizor)
>Day/Night system included. Here however, instead of having an in-game clock, instead, time passes based on the steps you take. Every ~600 steps are in-game hours.
>The length of battles in-game time-wise are based on how many Pokemon are used. If it is a 6 vs 6 battle, the battle will have taken one in-game hour.
>Actual plot and character development
>Starter Pokemon will probably be either Aron or Elekid.

Probably gonna include more stuff in the future. For now, what are your thoughts?
>>
>>33228703
>Plot is about a retired Pokemon champion from an undisclosed region who quit after getting bored with their job and after having their Pokemon stolen by thieves. Now works as an undercover interpol agent.
stopped reading there
>>
>Region revolves around 1 place; 1 arena instead of multiple like in Colosseum/Gale of Darkness
>Ditching weak Pokemons instead of fixing them
>One starter
>Story is a focal point
fuck outta here
>>
>>33229232
>Starter
I'm guessing you never played Prism
>Weak mons
How the hell would I fix them without breaking the meta?
>Story
Funny you mentioned Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, since it seems you haven't played those either. I'm also guessing you've never played Gen 5
>1 arena
With many, many floors.
>>
>>33228703
I think it would be interesting. I would still prefer if your interpol agent was too old to do it himself, so he (for some irresponsible reason) gives some kids a choice of 3 pokemon and then you as a more normal protagonist investigate. But the format of a central tower thats really the only thing you have to do, but with a bunch of stuff surrounding it could be cool.
>>
>>33228703
>Plot is about a retired Pokemon champion from an undisclosed region who quit after getting bored with their job and after having their Pokemon stolen by thieves
looks like a terrible idea
>>
>>33229549
Could you explain why you think that is?
>>
>>33228703
Terrible idea. Nobody wants to play as an old character. Why make them a retired Champion if you start at the "beginning" of your adventure? And the getting bored with their job / stolen Pokemon angle - pick one. Alternatively, >>33229535

>The region is pretty big and you are free to visit locations whenever you want.
How do wild Pokemon work then? I can catch everything off the bat? Everything gonna be level 5-10?

>The real meat of the game and where progression lies however is not in Gyms or trials, but in that Arena. Progression lies in visiting the Tower whenever you think you're prepared, defeat the floor's trainers, defeat the floor leader, and move on.
So you can only battle in the tower? How do I grind, take on the same floor over and over again? Or hit up those 5-10 wild Pokemon?

The arena idea sounds boring to be honest with you, half the fun of Pokemon is exploring a region and being rewarded with new Pokemon. 14 floors is major overkill.

>Each floor master's team is themed after an Egg group instead of a type.
This is a cool idea.

>Probably no Alola forms except maybe for Marowak
Either implement them all or none, picking only 1 is shitty.

>The length of battles in-game time-wise are based on how many Pokemon are used. If it is a 6 vs 6 battle, the battle will have taken one in-game hour.
But...why? Just use a standard in game clock, this wouldn't be impressive and doesn't add any value if walking affects the time.

>Starter Pokemon will probably be either Aron or Elekid.
Lol fuck off
>>
>>33231395
>Terrible idea. Nobody wants to play as an old character. Why make them a retired Champion if you start at the "beginning" of your adventure? And the getting bored with their job / stolen Pokemon angle - pick one.
To be fair, I think its a bit clever, because in a way we are all retired champions restarting every time we play a new game. Idk if that was OP's intention, but its kind of a funny take I guess. Not exactly breaking the fourth wall or anything, but perhaps peering over it.
>>
>>33228703
[cont]
>Actual plot and character development

I'm curious, so I have a few questions:

Who are the villains? What is their goal?
Presumedly the arena has been around for a while, so what's illegal about it? What is the catalyst for the story?
Who hired you? What will infiltrating the arena accomplish?
>>
File: What_5eb977_6107463.jpg (14KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
What_5eb977_6107463.jpg
14KB, 300x256px
>>33228711
Same.
>>
>>33231418
He needs a new motive though, both of the ones pitched are bad
>>
>>33228703
>interpol

so basically a faggot like Looker. lmao, Bye Felicia.
>>
>>33228703
I only like the idea of having Italy as region idea base.

the rest sounds convoluted and uninteresting to me.
>>
>>33231420
Actually you know what? You should tin-foil hat the fuck out of this story.

You play as the grandchild of the regions ex Champion. He retired years ago reluctantly after the arena was built, because new trainers stopped taking the League challenge until he became redundant. Now he's old as fuck and bitter, and is always ranting on about "the eviiiil arena! Ruining Pokemon battling, BACK IN MY DAY". You've always wanted to enter but don't want to upset you Grandad. Then one day, he busts out this plan for you to be his undercover agent and infiltrate the arena. "Lol sure Grandad" and away you go.

Then weird shit starts happening. Then suspicious shit starts happening. Then maybe Grandad wasn't a few cards short of a deck.
>>
>>33231395
>Character's age
The main character isn't old though. He's about in his 20s. I'm guessing I should've said "quit" instead of retire.
>Wild Pokemon
The tower is at the center of the region. The farther away you are from there, the higher-level the wild Pokemon are.
>Region and tower
You can still explore the region though. Also, yes, you can grind battling trainers. You defend your position as floor master similar to how you'd defend your position as champion in SM
>Alola forms
Sure okay
>In-game clock
Gen 3 didn't have an in-game clock. I have no idea how to include it in there.
>Starter Pokemon
Well what's the problem with the choices I picked?
>Characters and plot
>Who hired you
Some interpol officer
>Everything else
I haven't thought that far into it. I'm still in the early stages of this.
>>33228711
>>33231424
Then why the fuck are you here?
>>33231553
That's actually a great idea. I guess then the interpol officer should be a side character. Maybe it'll work better.
>>
>>33232971
>Then why the fuck are you here?
To fucking laugh at you and your pathetic, cringy fanfiction.
>>
okay, go make it
>>
>>33234122
Excuse me, could you try not being an asshole for at least once in your life? I mean, I'm assuming your track record for being an asshole must be pretty big.
>>
>>33234132
No. I need to know if it's worth it and everyone criticising it is just autistic, or if it's actually a huge fucking waste of time and everyone criticising it is right. So far, the latter seems to be more true, though I can't decide yet.
>>
Eh fuck it. I ain't got the time for this shit. Nobody's gonna like it anyway, some of you were right. brb gonna go hang myself now. Thread closed.
>>
>>33228703
nigga you just stole the plot of jojo's bizarre adventure vento aureo
>>
>>33234849
anon I believe in you
>>
>>33234857
>Stole the plot of Part 5 because Italy and Mafia

Wow the members of this website really are mentally retarded NEETS huh.
>>
>>33234888
Yeah fuck you too, asshole.
>>
Reminds me of that guy who wanted to make a hack centered around a 50+ floor tower and rental mons, and that would be the whole game; get to the top of the tower, battling waves of trainers and being allowed to heal very rarely.

The final boss was going to be Donald Trump (this post was before election day), as the tower was actually going to be Trump Tower.

Obviously, the guy never made it.
>>
>>33234255
If you like it then make it. If you put effort into it other people will like it too
>>
>>33232971
Gen 3 definitely did have an in-game clock. It controlled how berries grew and when mirage island appeared. Did you not set your clock at the beginning of the game, or did you think it was just for show?
>>
>>33234933
this kina reminds me of that back some guy was making using stolen mons anons submitted from sage/clover
those were pretty fun
>>
>>33229574
Because you are breaking the concept of champion. A pokemon champion is the ultimate trainer, and then somehow he got his pokemon stoled.
>>
>>33234964
Honestly, I completely forgot about it. I never gave a fuck about it.
>>
>>33234977
Then let's just say he got bored and gave them away.
>>
>>33235005
Fuck you. I'll do whatever the fuck I want, asshole.
>Muh current year
Sure as hell isn't stopping the Sonic fanbase from making rom hacks every single year.
>>
File: IMG_5046.png (300KB, 333x484px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5046.png
300KB, 333x484px
>>33235004
Calling for the final solution
>>
>>33235011
So, he trained really hard, developed a bond with his pokemon and then threw them away? That's even worse.
>>
>>33235033
No, he spent years in that posiition. Eventually however, all the fame broke him, similar to how it happens with rock stars and whatnot. He just couldn't bear with the life he had anymore.

I guess now he could just be entering the Arena Tower because he wanted to give training a second shot, only to be confronted by the interpol and be hired by them or something, seeing how people don't go from being rock stars to cops.
>>
File: IMG_5046.jpg (46KB, 328x481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5046.jpg
46KB, 328x481px
This entire thread should be on Reddit

/vp/ is NOT for shitposts!!!
>>
>>33228703
>Italy
Stopped reading there. If you're going to use Hoenn/Gen 3 as a basis get the closest you can to the region and theme. Greece is a much better setting as half the country is actually islands and ocean. Santorini is even the basis of Sootopolis.
>>
>>33235050
Says the shitposter
>>
>>33235055
No I'm the person who cleans up shitposts
>>
>>33235053
Have you forgotten Gen 3 includes Kanto, a region very different to the tropical Hoenn?

Honestly, if I could, I'd have made this a Gen 4 or even 5 hack, but I don't know how to. Gen 3 is the best due to hitting the compromise between technology and easiness.

>>33235058
Who's shitposting here?
>>
File: IMG_4583.jpg (160KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4583.jpg
160KB, 500x375px
>>33235066
OP is the biggest shitposter I've seen here in a couple months
>>
>>33235047
Now the plot is around depression? That' a little better for a story that's not pokemon.
And he don't have to gave his pokemon. Just look how every champ helps the player against the evil team.
Why does he have to be the champion?
>>
>>33235077
>Everything I don't like is a shitpost
Kill yourself
>>
>>33235066
>Have you forgotten Gen 3 includes Kanto
No, did you? What does that even have to do with my argument? Did you connect Italy to Kanto or something? I'm not reading those 2 garbage posts when you lost my interest 10 words. How about you start with a good idea and then "make a hack" instead of picking a random real world country that has nothing to do with the original premise of the game you're basing it off
>>
>>33235092
I don't know, have you ever wondered whatever happened to Lance, Steven, Wallace, or Cynthia between the events of their respective games and their next cameo appearances in future instalments? Something tells me that despite reacting well intitially, the thought of losing to a beginner 10 year old might not have sit well with a few of them.
>>
>>33235098
> telling me to kill my self online
wew lad you salty
>>
>>33235111
Literally nobody besides you gives a shit about how faithful a rom hack is to its original counterpart setting-wise.
>>33235126
Please everyone on this website does that shit. Fuck off.
>>
>>33235140
>Literally nobody besides you gives a shit about how faithful a rom hack is to its original counterpart setting-wise.
Alright, I've picked up enough hints to realize what's going on here. You think "Emerald hack" means "gen 3 template" which could only mean you're a) new to pokemon or b) underage. Going by the amount of shitflinging going on in this thread I'll choose b). Have fun on the internet newfag. You might want to check out >>>/reddit/ though, those guys are more your style.
>>
>>33235121
No, I never wondered about it. And it's not a beginner 10 yo, it's a trainer who defeated all the gym leaders and deserve to have a battle against the champion. It's some kind of child prodigy.
T b h anon, make the plot not about a champion. It will be so much better.
>>
You know what, OP? I like the idea. I think it could be really interesting, but next time, post it in /heg/ where we only have one shitposter and not twenty
>>
File: 20170806_145744.png (173KB, 438x562px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_145744.png
173KB, 438x562px
>>33235050
>he says on a containment board
>>
>>33235160
Lmao look at this faggot trying to defend his autism.
You are literally the only person who gives a shit about "muh graphic fidelity". IIRC I've played Sonic rom hacks set in the fucking mushroom kingdom. Nobody but you is autistic enough to give a shit about this. Fuck outta here faggot.
>>
>>33234255
You can't take criticism. You were given ways to improve your concept and then you called everyone autistic. You shouldn't be responsible for this game. It'll turn out terribly if you can't take simple criticism.
>>
>>33239465
Well that's because everyone else also insulted me or was being rude. Don't make me the asshole out of this situation. I can take criticism if you're not an asshole about it.
>>
>>33239465
Also, I did actually accept some of the criticism. For example, remember the part where I praised the idea of the plot being about the grand child of the champion uncovering a big conspiracy? Of course you didn't, because you either didn't read the thread probably or you're one of those assholes.
>>
>>33240203
Nah you're being fair OP, ignore them.

Anyway, it is a good idea in theory (the arena style gameplay), but I stand by my statement of 14 floors being overkill. You should stick to 8 to reflect the Gym system. The main problem with this idea is that without necessary exploration, the story really does have to be well done to keep players interested.
>>
>>33240581
You're right. I was trying to go for something like the GameCube games minus the Shadow Pokémon, or for a game that revolves entirely around its own BF. I'll re-think this.
>>
>>33240581
But assuming you're the same guy I think you are, what is the problem with the starter Pokémon I chose?
>>
Remember, kiddies, anyone who uses "Autism" as an insult is a lonely beta faggot too stupid to realize he should kill himself.
>>
>>33240901
What, did I hurt your feelings?
>>
>>33240727
They aren't very good (for a starter).

The biggest problem is that they both evolve very late. I don't think your starter Pokemon should still be in it's baby stage approaching level 30.

Both have terrible level up movepools.

Aron has 2 x4 weaknesses and a x2 to water. Yes it has many resistances but fighting/ground/water moves are common and it's so slow.

If you do really want to go with them, you should really throw in a 3rd choice for balance. Something special based, a psychic or ghost type maybe?

The BF is a good idea, you just need to give the player the feeling of progression via the story, make them relevant to the game world. And hey, good luck.
>>
If i wasnt at work I'd make a big post.

Honestly, i know nothing but I'd love to help.

For atory, why not make it his main pokemon (like two of them) were kidnapped and he's under ransom.
If he calls the police / pulls out the rest of his team they'll know.

So he and the kid of those two pokemon he kidapped go undercover / incognito to rescue his mons / the starter's parents.

(you could even make a thing where you get two starters or the one you dont pick also got stolen and you have to face them yourself.
>>
bump for interest
>>
Cringe thread?
>>
>>33240901
Why is autistic worse than faggot
>>
>>33242409
I understand. Again, I wanted to go for something similar to what Pokemon Prism did, what with it having a Larvitar as the starter.

Elekid was there because I wanted to have an electric type as a starter, since there haven't been any since Yellow, which was my first Pokemon game. In that case, what suggestions do you have for alternative, good Gen 1-3 electric-type starters?

>>33242508
That seems like a decent idea. I'll think about it.
>>
>>33242409
>Battle Frontier
I'll think about that part
>Good luck
Hey, thanks.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.