[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm fucking excited for USM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1495679286397.png (751KB, 1046x716px) Image search: [Google]
1495679286397.png
751KB, 1046x716px
The more I browse /vp/, the more I've come to realize that a lot of the shit /vp; hates is the stuff that I love in the newer Pokemon games.

>I like the cutscenes
>I like the more streamlined route/cave layouts
>I like the explosive, gimmicky mechanics like Megas and Z-Moves
>While the lack of news today was a disappointment, I still like the look of Dusk a lot
>I like friendly rivals
>Trials were a lot more fun than Gyms for me

Call me a GF cocksucker all you want, I don't really give a fuck about them or the company. I've just come to terms with the fact that the Pokemon series is growing in a direction that I'm enjoying. Bring it on, Game Freak. Make /vp/ hate your games. Make me love them!
>>
I liked Gen 6 and I liked SM but I am still mad about Lycanroc. That design reveal was one of the most anti-climatic and disappointing moments I have ever had as a Pokemon fan.
>>
>>33216885
>I Like the cutscenes
While I do too, I feel they should be more condensed. Instead of 5 1 minute cutscenes, make it 1 6 minute cutscene and just integrate the walking into the cutscene instead of giving control for 2 seconds.
>I like the more streamlined route/cave layouts.
I both agree and disagree here. I for one prefer a more streamlined path to the end, but there should be optional areas along the way where you can find rare items and pokemon.
>I like the explosive, gimmicky mechanics
I agree completely here
>I like the look of dusk a lot
I'm not in love with the new design, but its certainly an improvement over Midday, which was already far superior to Midnight.
>I like friendly rivals.
I prefer one of each, which SM delivered. I also prefer friendly rivals over ones who can't back up their bullshit, like Silver.
>Trials were a lot more fun than Gyms
While I disagree, its still a breath of fresh air. Having gyms be the main method with new things like trials every so often would be ideal to me.
>>
>>33216885
>>I like the more streamlined route/cave layouts
fuck off. it's okay to like the other things but this is indefensible
>>
>>33216885
You have bad tastes in videogames. It isnt revolutionary, a lot of people do. You arent quirky or special because of it, and no one needs to be upset about it. Its ok that youre mediocre.
>>
File: maps.jpg (564KB, 1518x1104px) Image search: [Google]
maps.jpg
564KB, 1518x1104px
Pokemon was always carried by the level design and maps. They are the high point of all pre-XY games. How the fuck did you even get into this franchise if you didn't like them?
>>
>>33216885
Your first pokemon game must have been Black or White. Sorry, your opinion isn't valid.
>>
>>33216885
the ultimate bait
>>33216952
the ultimate bait 2: electric boogaloo
>>
>>33216946
>How the fuck did you even get into this franchise if you didn't like them?

Not him but I only play Pokemon to catch monsters and collect ribbons. I don't participate in most of the stuff this board talks about and I have been playing for over a decade.
>>
>>33216946
Because he most likely started with gen 5.
>>
>>33216964
please, gen 5 was around the same quality as the games before it
gen 6 is when everything went to shit
>>
>>33216972
>casuals who want to look hip actually think this
>>
>>33216946

SM could've had this right. Previously exploration was obnoxious for two reasons
>HMs
>manual repels

The newer generations fixed manual repels somewhat (now asking if you want to reapply instead of having to go to the bag every single time) but HMs took a while to remove. Gen 5 basically removed them from the game at the cost of bland maps, ORAS added soaring but kept everything else.
SM added Pokerides, which were so close, but using strength is still clunky (playing that slow ass animation every single fucking time for each push) and the tauros ride to smash things is equally clunky. Cut was removed completely.
These things could be streamlined a lot and then the maps could be improved. Maybe have a repel "machine" that you load up with repels (so you still have to pay for them) but can turn off or on as you like (and will turn off if you run out of repels). Make the strength Pokeride less clunky, as well as all the others, and introduce a cut one. Then you could have the maps be larger, harder to navigate but still pretty fun.
>>
>>33216917
I'm sorta in between here. The reveal was a bigger deal than it needed to be for a new Pokemon form, but I still love the thing that was revealed. I still like Midnight more in general, but I'd be lying if I said Dusk wasn't a beautiful bitch. I already liked Midday a lot too, but Dusk is an improvement over Midday.
>>33216926
I agree with your point about the routes though. While having some difficult-to-navigate places can be nice as an optional, side thing to explore(a great example of this would be Dark Cave in Johto), having some of these routes be mandatory(an example of this for me is the Ice Cave, also in Johto, possibly my least favorite part of the game) made a lot of the games feel like a slog at some parts. I always found myself just wanting the route/cave/whatever to be over so I could get on with the actual story and game, since the story and battles are really what I played for, even though I was fine with optional dungeons.

And yeah, I can understand why someone might like Gyms better too. For me though, the Trials just felt more atmospheric and cool. Even if they were very functionally similar, the way the game handles and treats them made them feel different, and the Captains were a lot more memorable than any Gym Leader I can think of, though honestly I think that's just because of the writing style of SM. If future games continue having Gyms, but with Leaders as memorable and present during the story as Gen 7's Captains, I'd be very happy.. Gen 5 came the closest to this, I think.

>>33216952
First game was Gold. Hence why the two caves I used as an example are from that, they stuck out in my mind the most.
>>
I WAS looking forward to it, now this Lycanroc shit has me hesitating.
>>
Just by all this butthurt, I'm going to enjoy USUM even more than SM.
>>
>>33216972
Gen V really was noticeably and starkly different compared to earlier games for me. For the first time it really felt like a reset of the franchise.
>>
>>33216943
I'd sooner call myself a normalfag than quirky or special, really. That's the thing, really. I don't have bad taste, I just have a more simple taste. It's not just with games, either. I just like talking about myself and this is literally the best place for it.
>>
>>33216946
Most people don't play for the level design and puzzles though. Most people who play are kids/teens that don't give a shit about them anyway so it doesn't matter if they remove them. GF is always pandering to the largest crowd
>>
>>33217024
It was different in a good way. It had more emphasis on story but not at the expense of level design
>>
>>33216999
Nah you definitely didn't start with Gold lol. Nice try though.
>>
>>33217037
For the record, I started with yellow and I'm this guy: >>33216926
The key is I got into the series because I wanted to raise the cool and cute monsters I saw on TV.
>>
>>33216989
I agree with a lot of these points, however. HMs are one of the main things I hated about past Pokemon games. While each game in succession tended to streamline the usage of HM moves bit by bit, I still always felt like they were annoying to dive into the menu and use when you had to. And when you didn't have to dive into the menu, you just had to interact with the object, where the game would stop and ask if you wanted to use it. Ride Pokemon were easier to activate, and they were also far better because they didn't force you to choose certain Pokemon to have access to special moves. I'm always gonna have a Water type on my team no matter what, but I was growing tired of always having to nab a Flying, and something with Cut, etc. If they did bring back caves with more tricky layouts, but no HMs, and had them optional(and rewarding) exploration, I'd probably like it better.
>>33217037
I can't really prove that I did, but you can't prove I started with Gen V either. Just gotta trust me on this one, Gold was my first. And not HeartGold either, just the original one. I tried playing Blue after Gold(this was when I was little, I never actually managed to make it all the way to beating Red, but I did beat all 16 gyms), and even then I couldn't really enjoy Gen 1.
>>
>>33217076
You're trying too hard man. Its obvious you started after gen 5.
>>
>>33217094
You sure? I'm speaking all from experience, I can go into more detail into how I got into the games if that'd help my case at all
>>
>>33217035
I disagree, but not vehemently, which I feel is an important difference to point out here. The 'story' of pokemon is something left in the background. Multiple characters talking to you on every other route drove me up a wall in X/Y. And the spotlight set on "look at us start our journey together" in White/Black was obnoxious. For a great many people pokemon was about adventure and exploration in their youth, and the addition of a large cast, hamfisted dialogue, and some sort of childish moral that takes center stage was a huge turn off from the first time I started White.

I loved climbing trees and exploring the hills near my house when I was little. I loved fishing and imagined what it would be like to come across some great dragon or monster in the forest that I could tame and ride around on. Pokemon dumped copious amounts of fuel on that adventurous spirit. Thats why the earlier route music of the first few generations still lights up my face. Because that WAS how me and my friends got to experience a bigger world than our backyard. Adventure goddammit, not super cheesy and cringe dialogue about FRIIIEEENDSHIIIP
>>
>>33217094
underage spotted
pro-tip: you're not cool for joining the gen 5 hate bandwagon, and you're not cool for pretending that you started earlier than you did either
>>
>>33216885
Me too anon, the amount of shitposting on this board will never take away the fact that I loved SM and will probably be the same for USUM. However that Lycanroc is just a recolour but interesting at the same time, regardless of that I just hope it gets good stats.
>>
OP hold still and i'll go get the cross you undeniably deserve to be crucified on.
>>
>>33217112
Where did I say I hated gen 5? I just said that its clear that OP started with gen 5, that's all.

Keep projecting though, kid.
>>
>>33217111
Trips never lie, and that hasn't changed here. I think this is an integral point to all of this, and what I'm saying here too.

Everyone's attracted to Pokemon for different reasons, and the recent games have been vastly changing what parts of that appeal the series capitalizes on. It just so happens to be capitalizing on my favorite parts, which are the story, the atmosphere, and the characters, which not everybody is looking for from the series.
>>
>>33217173
Come and catch me, bitch.
>>
File: 1494620162572.png (215KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1494620162572.png
215KB, 480x640px
>>33217230
You seem to just be pitching a "I happen to like things the VAST majority of people dislike or at least agree on the negative, can I have attention?" There isnt a point to your argument to be honest, and im left assuming youre on the autism spectrum as everytime someone on this board has gone on and on about nothing it eventually comes out that theyre autistic.

The story is hamfisted, childish, and annoying to have in the forefront of the game, ESPECIALLY when thats being done through constant dialogue and cutscenes. Its ludicrous.

The characters arent characters in pokemon games. The fandom makes them fleshed out enough, but its silly to assert that any individual in the game has anything but the flattest and most one dimension characterization. It isnt what you need to put at the forefront of your exploration and monster hunting game. I LOVED it when I felt like no one knew where I was in a pokemon game. Like I was actually out and about in the wilderness with only my trusty companions to see me through. Consistently and aggressively cutting from this to have a character pop up or the childish plot get shoved back into focus ruins that and makes me feel like im being led through a daycare play. This leads me to the whole fucking reason I play, which is the atmosphere. All I do in pokemon is settle in and get comfy. The music, the mons, the atmosphere of adventure and the unknown beyond that completely consumed my youth and left lasting changes on my tastes and personalities (Im a watershed management major and park ranger, not unlikely because of pokemon) is downright joyous to navigate.

The newer games dont focus on atmosphere at ALL. They never leave the young child adventurer alone to experience the world and its atmosphere without taking him or her by the hand and telling them whats around them and how they should be feeling and WOWEE PUMPKIN DIDJA SEE THAT EVENT OVER THERE?!

This was a change that started with White and Black
>>
>>33217392
The point to my argument is that the series has changed, and is still changing, and I just wanna bring to attention some points as to why I think the series is still enjoyable. I don't know a whole lot about autism, but I have often heard that people with autism tend to resist change, which is kinda the opposite of what I'm saying, which is that I like how the series has evolved from what it used to be.

I also probably should clarify one thing, that I think's been misunderstood. Not necessarily by you, but by anybody in the thread. I don't really dislike the older Pokemon games now that I've played the newer ones, but I do find some of them hard to return to. Even Gen 2 where I started is hard for me to get into now. I do have nostalgia for it, and I look back fondly, but I just don't have as much fun as I used to when I try to come back to it.

The story feels childish and simple in comparison to a lot of other games, sure. Gen 6's story didn't really do it for me as much, even though as I said I liked some of the characters and friendly rivals, but 5 and 7 were home runs in my eyes. It really just all comes back to what I keep saying every time. It ain't gonna work for everyone. I just find enjoyment in what the new games have to offer. The OP is hyperbolic, but it is how I really feel.
>>
>>33217392
Pokemon like most franchises has evolved. Getting mad over your favourite elements being looked over doesn't do anything when they have already chosen how they want the games to be.

people play Pokemon for different reasons. For every person that dislikes cutscenes and story there are 5 more who liked it.
>>
>>33217572
You explained it better than me in a much shorter passage.
>>
>>33217572
>For every person that dislikes cutscenes and story there are 5 more who liked it.

Come on now friendo
>>
>>33216885
I liked all gen 6 and 7 games. I like the gimmicks like megas and z-moves. They make battles interesting. I just don't like cutsceens and the MIDI tier music in sm. I like the fact that alot of the Pokémon designs are cooler now.
>>
>>33216885
A-fucking-men, anon. So many people here just seem to hate change and fun.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.