[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Move Sorting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_2297.jpg (48KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2297.jpg
48KB, 320x240px
Anyone have a preference as to how they sort moves? Or do you just leave it to random chance?
>>
>>33205650
I usually have the move I spam in the first slot
>>
whatever happens, happens
>>
>>33205650
I put the status moves up, then the stab moves (primary type stab first if the Pokémon is double type) and coverage moves at the end.
>>
>>33205650
Priority order from bottom to top
>Previous-Evo exclusive moves
>Last gen move tutor moves
>Present gen move tutor moves
>Level up/Egg Moves
>TM moves

aside from that I try to keep more important moves near the bottom
>>
>>33205658
xD I though that was just me lmao
>>
Most to least used. Usually something like
10-20 PP STAB move
Coverage move
Coverage move 2/weaker STAB move
Non-damaging move/Coverage move/5 PP move
>>
>>33205650
I order by:
1 moves of the mon's type(regardless of damage)
2 damage (0 if status move)
3 frequency
>>
>>33205650
Oh God yes I sort them and I'm very particular about it.
1st move is spam attack.
2nd is coverage move if I have one.
3rd is status/non-attack move if I have one.
4th is 'other move' or low accuracy attack.
Attacks are otherwise ordered by usage.
Also if a Pokemon has attacks of each of it's dual typing, they are ordered as per the Pokemon's typing.

For example if I had a Poliwag I'd give it Surf, Ice Beam, Hypnosis, and Body Slam, in that order.
A Garchomp would have Outrage, Earthquake, Swords Dance, and Fire Fang in that order.
>>
I feel like it mattered more when moves were in a grid on the touch screen
>>
>>33205665
Other way around for me
>STAB
>Coverage
>Boosting/Negative Status
>Recovery/Positive Status
>>
Primary STAB
Secondary STAB
Non-STAB coverage
Status move.
I generally keep them in this order.
>>
Yes, I'm super autistic about it.

I prefer to sort by "color weight". If the pokemon has 2 moves of the same type, they'll be both at top and bottom. Darker colored move types tend to go towards the bottom.

A typical scheme might be

Water
Normal
Dark
Water

I'm a fuckin aspie.
>>
File: 1459055573280.jpg (13KB, 500x353px) Image search: [Google]
1459055573280.jpg
13KB, 500x353px
My method of sorting moves is so convoluted and autistic I couldn't even describe it fully in a paragraph or two.
>>
>>33205756
It can't be any worse than half of the shit this site spews out
>>
Just sort 'em according to their length...
Growl
Tackle
Fire Fang
Odor Sleuth
>>
>>33205650
In order from least powerful to most powerful (including calculating in stab)
If the moves are same power then best accuracy at the bottom
If both are the same then most pp at the bottom
And if someway all are the same then the longest at the bottom
>>
>>33205650

This is how I do it:

- Boosting move 1
- Boosting move 2
- First STAB from Type 1 (strongest moves precede weaker ones)
- Second STAB from Type 1
- First STAB from Type 2 (strongest moves precede weaker ones)
- Second STAB from Type 2
- Coverage offensive move
- Status move other than boosting move

So say I have a Delphox with the following moves: Fire Blast, Psyshock, Shadow Ball or Role Play, and Calm Mind. I would order it as:
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball/Role Play
>>
Its main typing goes first with attack moves then status moves, repeat for secondary typing, then coverage moves in terms of power.
>>
Priority/STAB
STAB/Coverage
STAB/Coverage/Status/Utility
Recovery/Coverage/Status/Utility
>>
>>33205650
Usually, I put STAB moves at the top, followed by coverage moves in no particular order, and then status moves or situational moves (such as Fake Out) at the bottom.
>>
>>33205650
Before moves were listed in descending order, I used to put the two moves I used the most in the first and third slot (usually offensive moves). The second and fourth slots were usually reserved for boosting moves or things like Protect. This meant that, since moves used to show up in battle inside a rectangle, the first move would be directly on top of the third move, so all I had to do was press down on the D-pad.
>>
The move I care about least in the first slot and the move I care about most in the last slot. The Daycare man screwed me over once when I was a kid and I vowed never to let it happen again.
>>
Offense goes before support. Same-type moves go before non-same-type moves. Generally, anyways.
>>
>>33205683
XDDDDDDD
>>
File: stoggafesehtlla.png (4KB, 422x427px) Image search: [Google]
stoggafesehtlla.png
4KB, 422x427px
Alphabetically. The way it was intended.
>>
Reverse alphabetical order based on the last letter in the move's name.
Example:
Fire Blast
Acrobatics
Growl
Tackle
>>
I put moves of the same type together so it's not a bunch of random colors.
>>
>>33205658
It's as simple as this. Prior to gen 7, I'd have the other moves I'd use most in second and third spots, since you'd only need to tap right or down to use them.
>>
No preference. I just leave things as is.
>>
>>33205650
Currently it's:
1 - Move I expect to use the most.
2 - Move I expect to use the second to least.
3 - Move I expect to use second most.
4 - Move I expect to use least.

For example, on my starter Incineroar in my main copy of Moon it's:

Flamethrower
Leech Life
Darkest Lariat
Brick Break

Since I tend to stick to STAB in-game, they get slots 1 and 3 and the off STAB but useful Leech Life gets second slot and the one just there to take care of Rocks which I'm rarely about to leave it in on gets last.

Though if it's a gimmick set I tend to use:
1 - Move I need to use first/second.
2 - Move I need to use third
3 - Move I need to use second.
4 - Move I expect to use fourth.

For example, my male Meowstic from last Gen which isn't near as useful this Gen has with no Triples and a nerfed Dark Void online is:
Safeguard
Reflect
Light Screen
Psychic

The point was to bring it to screen but oftentimes in Free Battle Darkrai or Smeargle would appear in the center opposing so I shut it down with Safeguard if necessary (which was sometimes funny when people either didn't know what it does or thought they missed and kept using it), usually Light Screening first since I was running a mostly defensive team, including Meowstic itself so SpD was best to hit with a boost first in most instances, followed by the other screen and then Psychic away if it still lived at this point (which it usually did as I kept bringing something like Diancie or Kyurem in the middle to be a decoy while Meowstic and Whimsicott set up for my actual threats in the back).

In essence: It's 1/3/2/4 because I've kept the most used moves on the left since they laid them out two by two.

Since they've got them all in a one row list in S/M I probably should switch back to keeping them in order entirely like in Gen 1 etc. but my brain just hasn't done it yet,
>>
i never did in gens 1-6, but now i have the spam move up top in gen 7

fuck the gay ass battle layout. had to move the whole fucking screen over to make room for a god damn giant z-move gimmick button for no reason
>>
Main STAB
Non-damage move
Secondary STAB/coverage
Coverage/Second non-damage move
>>
File: 1497745034659.gif (508KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1497745034659.gif
508KB, 480x270px
>>33205650
Turbo autist here. I leave it up to randon chance, but I have to leave it in said order.

For example, my Manectric setup is Thunderbolt/Volt Switch/Flamethrower/Hidden Power Ice, in that order. If I order it wrong when putting it into showdown or something, my autism piques and I have to fix it.
>>
>>33205650
>STAB attacks first with descending base power
>Non STAB attacks with descending base power
>Same type status moves with targeting moves being higher up for example toxic taking precedent over baneful bunker
>Different type status moves

Rate my autism vp-kun
>>
>>33205791
This.
Seeing how everyone else sorts theirs in this thread, I thought I was the only one who does this
Moves with the least characters at the top and the longest at the bottom
>>
moves matching the pokemon's type first and then the rest
>>
Status
STAB
Non-STAB
>>
Primary STAB
Secondary STAB/Coverage
Buff
Status/Utility
Recovery
The only exception being if a pokemon has a move that I basically always open with (Spore on Breloom for example). That goes first.
>>
>>33205683
Go back to your room, son, the grown-ups are talking.
>>
>>33205650
Because move selection is in a 2x2 grid I don't just rank them:

Top-left: most spammed 'safe' damaging move (ie high acc/PP, no recoil/stat loss, etc)
Top-right: most used non-damaging move. If all moves are damaging then one with a secondary effect that isn't already in top-left
Bottom-left: additional damaging move - preferably higher damage but with a drawback like lower acc/PP or recoil/stat loss
Bottom-right: least used move, generally coverage

Would apologise for being a bit autistic about it but given shit like >>33205676 I think I'm okay
>>
First type offensive
First type status
Second type offensive
Second type status
Other offensive
Other status

Normal types are always last
If two moves are in same category then more BasePower higher than less BasePower
>>
If it's a choice item style build. It's first type stab goes in slot one and its second type stab goes in slot 2. That's it.
>>
Are you me?
>>
>>33205650
>Primary STAB/Status Move (or whatever I use the most)
>Secondary STAB (if dual-typed) \ Coverage move
>Coverage
>Coverage

For example, this is what I ordered my Empoleon's moveset in a recent Platinum run:
>Surf
>Flash Cannon
>Ice Beam
>Grass Knot

And a Scizor in a recent SS run:
>Swords Dance
>Bullet Punch
>Bug Bite
>Night Slash
>>
>>33205756
Do it faggot.
>>
>>33205650
stab moves first, status moves second. If all attacking moves, stab first, coverage moves second depending on how much super effective type it hits.
>>
>>33205650
I usually have slots 1 and 3 reserved for attack moves and slots 2 and 4 for status moves.
>>
>>33205791
>>33207702
This is what I do too.
>>
>>33205650
Depends- most of the time my layout is like:
STAB (stronger) - STAB (weaker)
Coverage - Utility

But sometimes I have

Coverage - STAB
Utility 1 - Utility 2

Or, like, Shuckle

Setup - Setup
Attack - Utility

Really I try and keep my offensive choices on top, and my utilities on the lower level.
>>
I go in order of character amount. Moves with shorter names are at the top, while moves with longer names are at the bottom.

But sometimes I'll just ignore this order and choose whatever looks aesthetically pleasing to me.
>>
I always have my STAB move(s) first. On my Hydreigon, Dark Pulse is first then Draco Meteor. Then whatever I feel like with the last two.
>>
Put moves of the same type in the same column. For example, a Gengar with Hex, Venoshock, Destiny Bond, and Toxic in that order.
>>
>>33205650
I always make mine alphabetical
>>
>>33205756
Explain, bitch.
>>
I organize moves by Pokémon typing. After type I organize by power.
>>
>>33205650
I sort mine based on how they appear in the gen 3 battle ui, with the names of the moves stacked on top of each other. Then, I have a few rules:

>No move with a longer name can be on top of a shorter name
>The move on the top left MUST be an attacking move (either stab or coverage)
>Moves on the top left should be longer named than moves on the top right, but there can be exceptions for aesthetic reasons
>Status moves can only be in the right column, unless I have 3, in which case the 3rd status move must take the bottom left, but never the top left
>any move like fly, dig, etc. MUST be in the top left

And then I have a few specific rules just because of how often I saw it in my childhood:

>surf, wing attack, psychic, and rock slide MUST be top right
>ice beam, headbutt, and tackle MUST be top left
>earthquake MUST be on the bottom

Even then, if a move set obeys all these rules, I'll probably have to tweak it a bit so my autism doesn't make me feel slightly uncomfortable while battling.
>>
>>33206467
Huh. This is pretty much exactly what I do.
>>
>>33205650
Attack moves first, status moves at the end
>>
Damaging moves always above status moves, damaging moves are ordered by total damage (taking into account ability+STAB+items).
If two damaging moves tie, if one is physical and one special then whichever one is higher in my Pokemon's stats goes above it (so if SpA>Att then SpA goes first).
I don't really have a preference for the ordering of status moves, usually depends on what I'm gonna use the Pokemon for
>>
File: IMG_2305.png (24KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2305.png
24KB, 500x500px
>>33205700
>>33205866
>>33206266
>>33206388
>>33207500
>>33207722
>>33208944
>>33209466
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.