[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Friendly reminder that the original Game Boy Advance did not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: 2121789-gba.jpg (12KB, 320x229px) Image search: [Google]
2121789-gba.jpg
12KB, 320x229px
Friendly reminder that the original Game Boy Advance did not have a lit screen so the lack of time cycles in Ruby and Sapphire was due to everything being dark already.

Friendly reminder that Red and Green and/or Gold and Silver can not link with Ruby and Sapphire due to hardware (e.g., the Game Boy and Game Boy Color don't have the same voltage as the Game Boy Advance) and software differences (Game Freak overhauled the mechanics).
>>
Ah yes, I forgot that GSC's day/night cycle was made possible by the Game Boy Color's backlight
>>
>>33190234
The graphics in Gold and Silver usually have a clear background which makes it easier to implement the time cycles. Ruby and Sapphire do not have that advantage.
>>
>>33190216
>Friendly reminder that Red and Green and/or Gold and Silver can not link with Ruby and Sapphire due to hardware (e.g., the Game Boy and Game Boy Color don't have the same voltage as the Game Boy Advance) and software differences (Game Freak overhauled the mechanics).
Couldnt they just make a link cable that did that or something? You put a gen 3 cartrage in 1 slot and gbc in another and it automatically tranfers all pokemon
>>
but then they could have added it for FRLG or Emerald
>>
>>33190284
I'm not sure if the hardware differences are still relevant here but the software ones definitely are. You would have to convert old Pokémon data to the new format and what guarantees would there be if something bad happened? The player could lose their Pokémon instead of having to keep them in the old games.

>>33190286
You are aware that you can still play FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald on the original Game Boy Advance, yes?
>>
>>33190310
they let you play GS on the original gameboy too, in black/white that is.
>>
>>33190319
Because Gold and Silver were always for the original Game Boy, they only added Game Boy Color support after they postponed its initial release date. And don't forget the Super Game Boy.

That is part of the reason why Shiny Pokémon have sparkles and why they advertised Gold and Silver as Game Boy Color titles. If you play Gold and Silver at nighttime in-game on an original Game Boy, everything is very dark, including the menu and text box. On a Super Game Boy, it's an annoying green tint instead.
>>
>>33190389
they could still just give emerald gameboy sp support.
>>
>>33190418
Emerald's release is interesting. They announced the game two months before release (July 2004, September 2004). FireRed and LeafGreen had four months in between (September 2003, January 2004).

Diamond and Pearl were supposed to come out in 2005 but Game Freak delayed them until 2006.
>>
>>33190432
was it that short? I recall waiting months and months for it, but back then Europe was always fucked with late releases
>>
>>33190458
Yup. Do note that I'm using the Japanese dates here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050714024054/http://ds.ign.com/articles/632/632757p1.html
>July 11, 2005 - Earlier today, IGN passed along a few unconfirmed reports from Japan indicating that Pokemon Pearl & Diamond would be seeing Japanese DS release in 2006 instead of 2005. We now have confirmation.
>>
>>33190469
Imagine if a Pokemon game got delayed today. /vp/ would probably implode on itself from the sheer mass of shitposting.
>>
>>33190486
I'd rather delayed than rushed
>>
>>33190486
Red and Green were delayed by two months (ever wondered why they say 1995 instead of 1996?) while Gold and Silver were delayed by 1.5 years.

I'm not sure if Ruby and Sapphire experienced any delay during development.
>>
>>33190486
"A delayed game is eventually good, a rushed game is bad forever"
-- Albert Einstein --
Founder of Microsoft
>>
>>33190592
Good thing that "rushed" is an objective adjective (it isn't).
>>
>>33190216
>Friendly reminder that the original Game Boy Advance did not have a lit screen so the lack of time cycles in Ruby and Sapphire was due to everything being dark already.
But... R/S did have a time cycle, it just wasn't environmental.
>>
>>33190615
People usually refer to the palette swaps as the time cycles themselves but I understand your point. At least there's a mod for that: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=246089
>>
>>33190234
I fucking kek'd. It's shocking how retarded people can be.
>>
>>33190956
See >>33190253
>>
>>33190960
Yeah, adding a filter is real difficult.
>>
>>33190984
If you're going to add a filter to fix the problem, then perhaps you should reconsider your life choices.
>>
>>33191063
>Literally in-game clock hits 7PM, make everything dark
If you think it's any more complicated than that you should reconsider your life choices.
>>
>>33191084
>make everything darker when it's already dark
ah yes, good design, senpai
>>
>>33190615
And it sucked.
>The battery has run dry
>Congrats, now your save is totally fucked, no more berries for you.
>>
>>33191313
The save file is stored in flash memory unlike what the English error messages say, the battery is only for the clock and the Berry Program Update can't obviously fix the side effects that are shared with the Berry glitch because they're different issues.

You need to dump your save and patch the clock data after switching batteries which sucks, yeah. Or you play for a few years until it catches up on its own, haha.
>>
>>33191313
Most casuals won't even bother growing berries
>>33191342
can you elaborate more? I'm relaly interested on this topic, If I have a save file, and then the battery runs dry and I replace it, will the berries still won't grow after that? if they don't, will it be fixed if I start a new game after replacing the battery? I don't mind starting a new game as long as I get the berries growing, I'm about to start an extremely painful pokemon journey and I need to harvest berries like crazy
>>
Lots of rom hacks had it there was no excuse other than too much work with the abilities
>>
>>33191376
>If I have a save file, and then the battery runs dry and I replace it, will the berries still won't grow after that? if they don't, will it be fixed if I start a new game after replacing the battery?
Yes and yes.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Berry_glitch

Check the "Similar effects with a dead or replaced battery" section.
>>
>>33191101
>when it's already dark
The fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>33191388
ROM hacks are played on emulators, not on a real original Game Boy Advance. And they obviously don't have to meet certain quality standards.
>>
>>33191396
Have you never played Ruby and Sapphire or Emerald on an original Game Boy Advance? Everything looks dark.
>>
>>33190469
>Pearl & Diamond instead of Diamond & Pearl
Savages
>>
>>33191439
>Ruby & Silver instead of Ruby & Sapphire
Makes you think, huh?
>>
>>33191394
>Cartridges that have had their battery replaced may also experience similar problems. When the supply of power from the battery is interrupted, the RTC is reset to January 1, 2000. As with the Berry glitch, this reset causes all scheduled calendar-based events to be frozen until the RTC reaches the expected value, which may take many years. This can be solved by starting a new game.

Wow, thank you anon, I didn't know any of this, I'm going to start a ribbon master challenge and in order to raise the contest stats of my pokemon I need to import rare berries from Pokemon Colosseum/XD & grow them on R/S/E, you saved me some trouble.
>>
>>33191412
That's because there's no backlight you fucking retard. There wasn't for GSC but they still implemented it.
>>
>>33191455
>That's because there's no backlight you fucking retard.
No shit, Sherlock. They still have to take that into account when developing the game.
>There wasn't for GSC but they still implemented it.
Because Gold and Silver use light colors for cities, towns, and routes, not to mention the white paths that helps things look clear. That's not the case in Ruby and Sapphire.
>>
>>33190216
What is the point of your friendly reminders?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.