[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people on this board insist that USUM will be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (442KB, 1761x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
442KB, 1761x1136px
Why do so many people on this board insist that USUM will be trash when third versions have historically been the best game(s) of their generation? When GF already has a foundation to work off of, they can focus on fixing what was wrong with the original games. In the past third versions, GF has:
-improved the game's pacing
-added pokes to the regional dex for more variety
-improved upon the story, either by cutting unnecessary dialogue or adding more depth to antagonists
-improved the sprites of pokes who didn't look very good at first
-improved the movesets of pokes who got cucked at the start of the generation

I think USUM has a lot of potential, and could improve upon some of my biggest gripes with gen VII so far. What changes would you like to see?
>>
4chan has more and more normalfags every year.
>>
>>33188387
BW2 isn't a third version, netiher is USM. And yes they'll be good games. People saying they'll suck are either retards who hate the franchise since gen 2 but still keep following everything about it, or switchfags trying to get people to hate USM cause they're scared that this generation second game will be better and sell a lot more than their shitty switch game.
>>
Because it's only 1 year since sun and moon less development time

Crystal was only other 1 year after 3rd version but gold and sliver already had ton of content in it. Crystal made it better

Sun and moon has ton of game play issues. Adding few alolan Pokemon. Some battle factory won't solve the issues
>>
File: 76554.jpg (67KB, 606x496px) Image search: [Google]
76554.jpg
67KB, 606x496px
>Third versions have historically been the best game(s) of their generation
>Posts BW2

Anon....
>>
>>33188413
>netiher is USM
We don't know this yet.
>>
>>33188387
>sequels are 3rd versions
Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>33188420
If you're going to suggest for a second that BW1 are better, you can just take a fucking luger to the back of your brain.
>>
>>33188387
Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and BW2 were great because they built upon an already good base game. USUM will suck because it will be building upon a shitty base game.
>>
>>33188451
BW a good game

oh holy shit
>>
>>33188451
>RS
>DP
>BW
>Good base games

You almost got me there! Almost!
>>
>>33188387
>original GS were good games
>Crystal was a great game
>original RS were okay games
>Emerald was a good game
>original DP were good games
>Platinum was a great game
>original BW were great games
>BW2 were fantastic games
>original SM were trash games

See the difference? USUM will be better than SM, no one's arguing that. Problem is that's not something to get excited about, especially when nothing is known about it.
>>
>>33188457
Enough of your memes, summer child. BW1 was great.
>>
>>33188457
Why dont you like black or white? 150 new pokes too jarring for you? I guess the plot was a little out there but it made the most sense as far as evil team motivation goes in my opinion
>>
>>33188481
they're shitposting, gen 5 was the top of the bell curve and now we're sliding downhill. dream world can rot in a hole though
>>
>>33188471
Even if its nothing to get excited about, I'd rather have a good game then a trash game.
>>
Because all previous third versions and BW2 have had good bases to improve upon. USM do not. SM are irredeemable trash.

Instead of at least trying to fix it the way they should (by making the region much bigger and adding lots of dungeons, optional locations to explore and hidden lore), they're just going to shoehorn in more of their retarded and horrible story and writing.
>>
>>33188413
USM is a third version. Did you even watch the announcement? It's an alternative story in the same world like Emerald, Platinum etc
>>
>>33188451
GS is all spectacle, no substance, though honestly unless you live in Japan it's not like Crystal did much to improve on them. Hell they could've brought the graphics up to the level of other GBC exclusive RPGs but there's no sign of that outside of the Pokemon animations, the Battle Tower, and Dragon's Den. RS and BW1 were plain garbage, though for different reasons. DP barely constitutes passable, but it's not like Platinum did much to fix it either.

SM is on its own level of shit though and its' flaws can't really be alleviated by a third version, sequel, or remake. Best they can do is add shit that stands strong on its own so you can pretend the rest of the game doesn't exist.
>>
All I want is it to be about actual fucking Pokemon and adventuring and not forced Lillie narrative. This isn't going to happen though because braindead sheep ate up the blatant waifubait dangled in front of their face and made Lillie the single most popular character since Red.
>>
>>33188387
>>33188451
>>33188471
This. Platinum is an outlier. GS, RS, and BW were good games, so the follow ups were good too. It's that simple
>>
>>33188502
So wait do you like pokemon or what?
>>
>>33188481
I really enjoyed the new Pokémon, but I didn't like the story or its characters at all.
Also, Unova has an awful map (not routes or cities, just the map) and is pretty much a straigt line.

I was kinda overreacting there. I liked BW because it was still Pokémon, but years later I'm still finding myself struggling with it because I can't like it >at all<.
>>
>>33188534
I disagree with a lot of his points, but i always get confused when someone says they dislike some of the games and the immediate response is they must hate the whole franchise
>>
>>33188534
Really, I can enjoy all of them on some level because I like the core gameplay and the general set-up. But the elements that really set the games apart can vary quite a bit between entries. Several of them are very subjective too, while I do criticize GSC, I sure do love that flash it has enough to make it still my favorite.
>>
>>33188387
/vp/ is filled with babies who've never played a third version
>>
>>33188387
Because Gamefreak's recent development philosophy is shit
>>
File: 44e97cd95e50df8087c698035a924d56.png (377KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
44e97cd95e50df8087c698035a924d56.png
377KB, 1000x1000px
>>33188387
It's a combination of the general disappointment with the 3DS games and Game Freak's previous comments regarding third versions. It's on record that Masuda said that GF would be trying to spice up the formula when it comes to third versions. The result of that was B2/W2, when was positively received by /vp/ back in its heyday.

With the release of X/Y, there was a bit of disappointment when it came to things that appeared to be missing or unexplained, so people expected all of it to be cleared up for Z version. Since GF skipped that to go to S/M, gen VI has been left in a state of "incompleteness," so to speak. Because of that, it reinforces the idea that GF is willing to put out a lazy attempt.

When OR/AS was released, it's safe to say that the three most anticipated features were Secret Bases, Contests, and the Battle Frontier. While the people who say that the Frontier was an Emerald only facility are entirely correct, the fact is that it was first introduced in Hoenn. It has become a symbol of Hoenn, which is why people expected it to be there. Because of the infamous explanation for its absence, /vp/ has become more bitter towards GF.

The fact that a thread like this is on the board is enough to show that S/M have not been well received. Note that I am only talking about this board, not about the general public's opinion or other websites. There are doubts of GF's ability to improve the game. While their past track record has been great, the current one doesn't seem that good. The fact that it has been only a year since the release and it is already coming out also reinforces the idea that S/M were just "beta versions." It doesn't help that with the general lack of information, it implies that there is not much new with the games. GF doesn't have to show their entire hand to the public, but they should give people something to chew on during the wait.
>>
>>33188952
Technically........ people expected the Battle Frontier to be in ORAS.... because HGSS were remakes of Crystal, the third game, with the trade and encounter lists of GS.

So it wasn't unreasonable to expect ORAS to be remade Emerald with RS trade and encounter lists.
>>
>>33188998
Are you retarded? HGSS were remakes of GS with nods to Crystal.
>>
>>33188387

Don't let Crabominable only happen in late game

There need to be an option to get him earlier
>>
Because GF changed their ways of "improving games"

In the past they were doing it by extending gameplay with adding post game areas, strong trainers to battle, fancier battle facilities to conquer

Nowadays they're promoting the games with new forms of Pokemon, gimmicks like pokefinder or refresh/amie. The post game nowadays is just a very condensed story of few short missions (Emma's story in XY, Delta episode in ORAS, UB mission in SM) and then you get the most basic facility, few legends to catch and thats over

So far there's NOTHING that would suggest USUM will be more like gen 4-5 games rather than gen 6-7 ones
>>
>>33188462
Why are you posting here if you don't even like pokemon?
>>
File: 1499556230657.jpg (164KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
1499556230657.jpg
164KB, 650x500px
>>33188387
Remakes were always good too but then ORAS was an abomination that ruined Hoenn.
USM has POTENTIAL to be good, but Game Freak has a horrible track record since the start of the 3DS era. I'm going in with the lowest possible expectations.
>>
>>33188413
Implying that BW2 aren't just third versions with just more time, that they can add a new story.
>>
>>33188471
you got gen 3 and 4 switched
>>
>>33188387

this is exactly what Ive been saying for the past weeks, finally someone else figured this basic shit out

"but look at the last 3 sets of games that werent special versions and they all sucked" - anon
>>
It's better to have low expectations and be impressed than it is to have high expectations and be disappointed.
>>
>>33188387
I have zero faith in Gamefreak. Since XY they've been thinking with their pockets instead of their heads or hearts. Just like at the amount of Kanto/Pikachu pandering there has been in Gen 6 and 7. Even in USM, we already know that this is their focus yet again, with the Pikachu Paradise area seen in the trailer.
>>
>$40 physical DLC
>good

BW2 are the only good games there and they aren't even third versions.
>>
>>33188387
Because the 3D games so far have been varying levels of trash, so it's hard to believe that this one will be the exception.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-10-20-36-54-1.png (168KB, 1440x2236px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-10-20-36-54-1.png
168KB, 1440x2236px
Reminder that the vast majority of this board liked SM and there's a handful of autistic shitposters who have been parroting anti-SM hate for about half a year now
>>
>>33188481
BW was the only game I played completely blind.
I knew nothing about it before playing, the only Pokémon I knew were the starters (not the evos) Reshiram, Zekrom and Pidove. And because every Pokémon before post game was new my first playthrough felt so fresh compared to all the other games. It might not be the best but damn I had a blast the first time around.
...maybe I should avoid all Gen 8 leaks, news and trailers to get a similar experience?
>>
>>33188387
The things that i didn't like about sumo are the start which is too slow, the difficulty and how they handled the UBs and the ultra space
>>
>Literally a year between release dates of SUMO and USUM
>Pokemon is already stale as fuck by this point
>Just want easy money, they don't give a fuck about making a good game at this point

USUM is just SUMO with tacked on features (isn't that just every new generation these days?), so yes, it will be a decent game because it's literally the same fucking game. The only thing worth looking forward to from USUM is gameplay changes in the form of new movesets for certain pokemon, mainly to see how it changes the meta, but pokemon is fucking garbage competitively and not just because it's an RNG-fest, so, oh well, maybe with the Switch they'll actually try something new.
>>
>>33188436
Since we don't know there is no point on saying they'll be trash too
>>
>>33188387
The problem is Pokemon fanbase is still taking things for granted despite being proven wrong all the time in the last few years
Hoenn remakes must have Emerald content. Wrong
Kalos third game/sequel obvioulsy will happen. Wrong
SM is the 20th annivesary game and the graphics look amazing so GF went all out and the game will have huge amount of content. Wrong. The only aspect where GF really went all out were...cutscenes.

USUM has a chance for being Pt or BW2 level but its a very slim chance

People are underestimating the graphic limitations after jumping to real size 3D aswell as short time of development which is just a year
>inb4 Its not a year
It is. Unless you're suggesting they've been working on the upgrade game before a game needed for said upgrade was finished.

All other 3rd games/seqels were released about 2 years after the main ones. The only exception is Crystal and Crystal (next to Yellow) had very little changes in comaprison to games like Pt or BW2
>>
>>33188443
but he is right
technically emerald comes after RS
>>
>>33188387
I fucking love Platinum,
Emerald as well.

you're right about third versions being a good deal.
>>
>>33188387

A third version splitted into two games just one year after SM which probably means that there won't be much new content and makes it look like SM was a rushed version of the real games.

It fells cheap and unnecessary. They already announced a Switch game, so more people are excited about that rather than a game which is pretty much the same as SM. Not speaking of how tiring SM makes you and how difficult it is to start a new game with the cutscenes.
>>
>>33188549
Yeah but he initially listed like half the games in his complaint, hence my hyperbole
>>
>>33189033
Agreed with this, let us get the special evolutions earlier. Crabominable specifically can burn in hell though.
>>
>>33188387
Don't worry. In a few years people will suck USUM's cock and claim that the base Gen8 games are unplayable trash.

These retards are always like this.
>>
>>33191292
I haven't seen someone defend ORAS and attack SM in the same breath, so I'm not sure what you're on about.
>>
>>33189794
Every time you post this I have to point out that the vast majority of the board has major problems with SM based on that very poll

>>33191292
stop forcing the Zelda cycle on pokemon
>>
>>33188387
Because the non third versions stopped feeling like complete games. It no longer feels like adding on a base game, but finishing the base game.
>>
>>33188387
Because since 6th gen, GF is doing shit games with less content. It doesnt matter if this is the third version or not.
>>
>>33188476
Not a meme BW were so bad that made me quit pokemon probably the worst pokemon games,I only come back because Oras.

Also anything made recycling the whole region is obviously going to be better.
>>
>>33190567
You hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>33192130
It's true though. For instance, DPPt were much disliked at the time of their releases and now Platinum's thought as one best in the series. 4chan's contrarian nature only exuberates the cycle.

>inb4 4chan's not a hivemind
I fucking know. Still doesn't change that there's a majority opinion that alternates when a new game comes out.
>>
>>33188471
Oh look, a sinnohfetus. You're still right tho.
>>
>>33189794
All that pic shows is that 48% of the board either has shit taste or is unable to admit the flaws of the things they like.
Nothing unusual.
>>
>>33192244
>DPPt were much disliked at the time of their releases
You mean DP were. And still are now. Platinum was loved, especially in the competitive scene. People hated and still hate XYORAS

stop foprcing the zelda cycle on pokemon
>>
Do we really actally know a damn thing about this game? We have like 30 seconds of trailer, and some vague words from GF.
>>
>>33191298

...because ORAS is a nostalgic copy&paste remake, not special versions/sequels
>>
>>33191292
Nobody is defending XY but the people that did so at release.
>>
File: 1440009231025.png (372KB, 842x720px) Image search: [Google]
1440009231025.png
372KB, 842x720px
>>33188471
>original DP were good games
>Platinum was a great game
>>
>>33194136
Name a flaw then if you think they're bad games.
>>
>>33194917
DP too slow

Pt Slow but faster than DP
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.